CA - Unidentified & possible missing victims of Randy Kraft, 1971-1983

Were the detectives on the Kraft case negligent?

• Yeah, they could have done more.

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • No, I love cops.

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere before but:
"Hawth Off Head" found in Wilmington could have been from Hawthorne, CA as it is only 22 minutes apart. (Hence, "Hawth Off Head")
The pool table card found in one of the bags was from a Covina, CA shop and from Wilmington to Covina is on 49 minutes.
I think that the Hawthorne angle had been mentioned before, although it is a very solid suggestion too. Could have met the victim around there, although police probably didn't initially search that area because only Kraft knew. The head reference is obvious given the state of the remains. I believe I read somewhere that flyers for this victim were distributed around gay bars in the Long Beach area and some people recognized this person, but I can't be sure. I figure the card angle must have been explored to see if there was a connect to the identity of the victim and/or killer. Although the extent of how detailed the police investigation was on that, I unfortunately do not know. It is quite a shame because, besides Mark Hall, this was one of if not the worst of Kraft's murders.

I think that the Hawthorne angle had been mentioned before, although it is a very solid suggestion too. Could have met the victim around there, although police probably didn't initially search that area because only Kraft knew. The head reference is obvious given the state of the remains. I believe I read somewhere that flyers for this victim were distributed around gay bars in the Long Beach area and some people recognized this person, but I can't be sure. I figure the card angle must have been explored to see if there was a connect to the identity of the victim and/or killer. Although the extent of how detailed the police investigation was on that, I unfortunately do not know. It is quite a shame because, besides Mark Hall, this was one of if not the worst of Kraft's murders.
They distributed flyers for the other victim found in Feb 1973. He was a recognized prostitute from Belmont Shore Bluffs.

They distributed flyers for the other victim found in Feb 1973. He was a recognized prostitute from Belmont Shore Bluffs.
Mmmhmm, I do remember reading that, he was soliciting tricks around Cherry Avenue. I believe Kraft was living at 1727 1/2 E. Ocean Boulevard at this time, just a few blocks from that area. Probably picked up on the 3rd of 4th of February (Saturday or Sunday).

Any exclusions for the Hawth of the Head guy on NAMUS? I can't see it because I'm not registered (I'm not American btw)

I have been going through some newspapers from Newspaper Archives and http://presstelegram.laserfiche.com/WebLink8/Browse.aspx?startid=1&dbid=0/WebLink1. A while ago, I noticed that the "LB Marina" notation on Randy Kraft's list actually appears to read "LB Marina -- 1st St." This confused me because First Street in Long Beach does not have any marinas that I know of on it. While looking through old copies of the Long Beach Press Telegram, I saw advertisements for the Oakwood Apartments at 333 First Street in Seal Beach. I wonder if he picked up a hitchhiker trying to get home from going to the beach in front of the apartments (someone like Larry Williams?) or murdered someone who was a resident at the Oakwood Apartments in Seal Beach?

View attachment 58111View attachment 58112

Anthony Pinelli, 19, of Garden Grove, CA was found deceased and nude in San Bernardino County near where Gregory Jolley, Vincent Cruz Mestas, and Christopher Williams bodies were found on May 2, 1977. His cause of death was never determined. He wasn't identified until October 1977. These are two very small articles that appeared in the Orange County Register on October 3, 1977 and October 5, 1977. I don't know that he was ever mentioned in the press again after that.
View attachment 58113View attachment 58114

John Earl Dean Jr, 24, originally from Texas, was found dead on Santiago Canyon Road on July 27, 1980 (right after William Bonin was arrested). I found an OC Register article from September 7, 1983 stating that he was being looked at as a possible victim, yet I don't think he was mentioned again (to my knowledge). View attachment 58115

John Earl Dean was found on July 27, which would be 10 days after Kraft was purported to have killed two people in Oregon. Kraft was back in Southern California in August because he picked up another victim later than month. Perhaps he was ruled out as a Kraft victim due to time of death and Kraft being in Oregon at that time. I hadn't heard much else about him being a possible victim otherwise.

I've read there are 50 polaroids of Randy Kraft which contain his victims. I wonder if anyone can find them or have they ever been released to the public? Those polaroids may help find the missing victims.

I've read there are 50 polaroids of Randy Kraft which contain his victims. I wonder if anyone can find them or have they ever been released to the public? Those polaroids may help find the missing victims.
I think there were only a few that were ever publicly released, which portray known victims (Wyatt Loggins and Rodger DeVaul Jr.). I believe at least one other photo was that of Eric Church. As for any others, I don't believe it was ever confirmed if there were other victims in those photos.

Seems that Newhall John Doe (1971) was identified just recently, according to Doe Network: 868UMCA

They didn't have a NamUs profile, so I couldn't verify the veracity of Doe Network's claim (I am assuming it is correct but not updating anything just yet). I'll probably follow up if there's any more information because this case had many similarities to Kraft's other cases (although time frame had made it more difficult to place as one of his supposed victims).

Seems that Newhall John Doe (1971) was identified just recently, according to Doe Network: 868UMCA

They didn't have a NamUs profile, so I couldn't verify the veracity of Doe Network's claim (I am assuming it is correct but not updating anything just yet). I'll probably follow up if there's any more information because this case had many similarities to Kraft's other cases (although time frame had made it more difficult to place as one of his supposed victims).
Nevermind, seems this person was not identified, must have been an error from Doe Network. I don't recall there ever being a NamUs profile for this person regardless, but there certainly isn't one atm.

I recently came across this website & thread while searching for information on my fathers unsolved murder. There is a reference to him in this thread on pg 11.
If anyone has information on David Micheal Sandt please reply.

A while ago, I came across two articles about David Michael Sandt who was found stabbed to death with his pants pulled down in the yard of a vacant house near the intersection of Second St and Kennebec in Long Beach on January 13, 1975. He was about the same age as Randy Kraft's first known victim, Wayne Joseph Dukette. So far, I have been unable to learn if Mr. Sandt's homicide was ever solved.
View attachment 81106View attachment 81107
The location of his body was only a few blocks from where Randy Kraft was living at the time and David Sandt's homicide occurred between John Leras ("skates") and Craig Jonaites ("golden sails"). Interestingly, the Social Security Death Index states that David Michael Sandt's Social Security number was issued in Iowa. FamilySearch: Sign In
According to Sandt's obituary, he was found in a kneeling position, stabbed multiple times in the stomach. Honestly, if he were a Kraft victim, perhaps he was a reference to Hari Kari? Kneeling position, stomach stabbed, plus pants pulled down.

I recently came across this website & thread while searching for information on my fathers unsolved murder. There is a reference to him in this thread on pg 11.
If anyone has information on David Micheal Sandt please reply.
I am terribly sorry for your loss, @JMSANDT. I was not familiar with your father's case, but I did just post some thought about him being a possible reference on Kraft's scorecard above.

I am terribly sorry for your loss, @JMSANDT. I was not familiar with your father's case, but I did just post some thought about him being a possible reference on Kraft's scorecard above.
I’m not interested at this time in knowing if my father was a victim of Krafts, but I sincerely thank you. I’m interested in location where David was found at and what it was like there in 1975. This is all very different then what I was lead to believe. Thank you for your time. Regards

img

Is that Auburn, CA? Interesting locations, Auburn/Long Beach. It appears Sandt was also harassed and caged by police for having weed and LSD in 1969.
img

@Murder Inc Interesting that the article you posted about his murder explicitly mentions the at-the-time unidentified killer whose crimes Kraft would be arrested for 8 years after, and that police didn't think it was connected. But circumstances, the pants being pulled down, sexual assault (Kraft didn't mutilate every victim the same way so police couldn't really assume it was the same, and they probably didn't see any strangulation so it wasn't thought to be connected) and proximity of discovery honestly seem like Kraft would be a good candidate for it. I legitimately think David might be 'HARI KARI' on the scorecard.

@Murder Inc Interesting that the article you posted about his murder explicitly mentions the at-the-time unidentified killer whose crimes Kraft would be arrested for 8 years after, and that police didn't think it was connected. But circumstances, the pants being pulled down, sexual assault (Kraft didn't mutilate every victim the same way so police couldn't really assume it was the same, and they probably didn't see any strangulation so it wasn't thought to be connected) and proximity of discovery honestly seem like Kraft would be a good candidate for it. I legitimately think David might be 'HARI KARI' on the scorecard.
If Kraft lived at 1700 Ocean Boulevard in LB in 1975, then yea seems pretty clear

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-31 132230.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-31 132230.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 19
If Kraft lived at 1700 Ocean Boulevard in LB in 1975, then yea seems pretty clear
Yes, 1727 1/2 Ocean Boulevard was his exact address as I recall. That was where he was living when he was questioned about Keith Crotwell's disappearance in May 1975, just a few months after.

Yes, 1727 1/2 Ocean Boulevard was his exact address as I recall. That was where he was living when he was questioned about Keith Crotwell's disappearance in May 1975, just a few months after.
Yes, you are correct about Kraft's address and close proximity to the sight where Sandt's body was found. I remember reading about this a few years ago but thought the slaying was unrelated as I wasn't aware of the body's position or of the sexual assault. Where did you learn of those details?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back