CA - Wind-Driven Thomas Fire Explodes to 31,000 Acres; 150 Structures Destroyed, 2017

CARIOCA...also Lilibet, Whitelilac, ElleyMae, Coastal and Mistivon....I am still a little shaky and suffering from shock. My husband is at the hospital right now, he has gone so long without sleep...over 24 hours and was not even able to get his medication or anything else....only the clothes he was wearing. He is dehydrated and a little light headed and needs to get rx's filled immediately. The firemen let him get close enough to see the ashes of our home this afternoon....there is not even a frame left....just ashes. He said it looks as if a firebomb went off in our neighborhood. We will be OK....and the only thing I miss right now are the pictures of our family....all gone.

Power is out in some areas and sporadic at best, but people with cell phones are able to communicate.
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/w...tura-county-forces-thousands-evacuate-n826576
Update: We lost our home. Same for our next door neighbor and house across the street.

IQuestion

I'm so sorry you've lost your home to this fire today. I hope your DH is okay. Thank you for keeping us informed. Please, let us know how to help you.

Good (trite greeting rather than condition) evening to my pals on WS. (Btw you guys are terrific.) I have been reading your posts and so much to say. 1) I wish I had down loaded my family pictures to the cloud. Losing the pictures of my deceased child makes me feel as if someone has cut my heart in half! They are stored on the computer of my home office, which is now just a pile of ashes. From my balcony, I could always see the cemetary in the distance and always feel a closeness that few can comprehend. Tomorrow I will grieve losing that beautiful view and the glimmering Pacific Ocean beyond. I would always wake up and think how lucky I was to be living in the most gorgeous place on earth! I will miss the sweetest oranges from my trees, the avocados tree we nurtured to maturity, and the candy cane geraniums that bloomed year round.
2) Many of my neighbors had disconnected from land lines and used only cell phones, so they were not informed via the REVERSE 911 ALERT SYSTEM and were only aware of evacuation by police banging on their doors and trying to get everyone out of the area. The wind gusts were up to 70MPH and the fire spreading and acre per minute! It was a virtual fire storm moving at break neck speed. 3) Even though we had a fire hydrant 40 feet from our front door....there was no pressure left in the system and no more water left on the firetrucks. The winds were blowing so strongly (70 MPH gusts) the helicopters and planes could not be safely deployed to drop water or flame retardants on the area. The firefighters were fighting a firestorm from hell and I am thankful they will be able to go home to their families. No one should have to risk their life for a "structure".....it can always be rebuilt at a later time. 4) The insurance company has already cut a check to my darling husband for temporary housing, food and clothing...(and even for refilling his meds that perished in the fire).absolutely incredible service.....so pay your insurance premiums! My husband reckoned the devastation to the time he spent in Viet Nam....the smells, the destruction, wide-eyed disbelief at the total loss of all we had worked for in our lives. He doesn't have and emotional outlet like I do with Websleuths, and (thus) he is suffering a lot more than me. He is holding so much inside, trying to be the strong one..... he is on autopilot, one which comes from years of serving his country in the worst of times and seeing the aftermath of war.
My love to you all..... I don't know what to do next. How do I begin from nothing left?

I am so sorry IQ.... my friend was able to grab her photo book of her deceased child.
Hopefully there are some pictures of yours remaining somewhere? :please:

Thank you, IQ, for sharing with us. I don't have the words or know what to say. Hold on tight. Everything you need most to get through this you have still, that's not been burned away, I'm sure. Do you have family or friends you can stay with for a few days until you find something temporary?
Love to you both too.

I don’t have the right words, IQ. Just hugs and more hugs...big squishy ones. I’m so glad your husband is safe and that you have each other...and insurance. I think in time you will find the answer to your last question. For now, one step at a time. We are here. Are you home from your work trip yet? :heartbeat:

Good (trite greeting rather than condition) evening to my pals on WS. (Btw you guys are terrific.) I have been reading your posts and so much to say. 1) I wish I had down loaded my family pictures to the cloud. Losing the pictures of my deceased child makes me feel as if someone has cut my heart in half! They are stored on the computer of my home office, which is now just a pile of ashes. From my balcony, I could always see the cemetary in the distance and always feel a closeness that few can comprehend. Tomorrow I will grieve losing that beautiful view and the glimmering Pacific Ocean beyond. I would always wake up and think how lucky I was to be living in the most gorgeous place on earth! I will miss the sweetest oranges from my trees, the avocados tree we nurtured to maturity, and the candy cane geraniums that bloomed year round.
2) Many of my neighbors had disconnected from land lines and used only cell phones, so they were not informed via the REVERSE 911 ALERT SYSTEM and were only aware of evacuation by police banging on their doors and trying to get everyone out of the area. The wind gusts were up to 70MPH and the fire spreading and acre per minute! It was a virtual fire storm moving at break neck speed. 3) Even though we had a fire hydrant 40 feet from our front door....there was no pressure left in the system and no more water left on the firetrucks. The winds were blowing so strongly (70 MPH gusts) the helicopters and planes could not be safely deployed to drop water or flame retardants on the area. The firefighters were fighting a firestorm from hell and I am thankful they will be able to go home to their families. No one should have to risk their life for a "structure".....it can always be rebuilt at a later time. 4) The insurance company has already cut a check to my darling husband for temporary housing, food and clothing...(and even for refilling his meds that perished in the fire).absolutely incredible service.....so pay your insurance premiums! My husband reckoned the devastation to the time he spent in Viet Nam....the smells, the destruction, wide-eyed disbelief at the total loss of all we had worked for in our lives. He doesn't have and emotional outlet like I do with Websleuths, and (thus) he is suffering a lot more than me. He is holding so much inside, trying to be the strong one..... he is on autopilot, one which comes from years of serving his country in the worst of times and seeing the aftermath of war.
My love to you all..... I don't know what to do next. How do I begin from nothing left?

Dear IQuestion,

I'm thinking of you and your husband. This is such a tragedy for you and I hope very much you have the best support possible.

I live in CA too, in an area of canyons and brush, but nothing like where you are. We have had fires in the past but they were small and quickly controlled.
When I was a teen living in Australia, we lost our home in a fire....the bush (woods) was right behind us. What I remember most was the eucalyptus trees exploding..
But I was young, we moved and started again..it was ok. Nothing like what you are experiencing now.

I have a good friend who lost her home in the Roaring Lion Fire in Montana last year. She is an artist and lost a lifetime of work. She lost her cats,... everything. She and her husband had to get out in 15 minutes, it was so fast. All they took were their two dogs. They loved their home of 30 years..
It was awful....but within a year they are settled in a new home and studio. The fire changed her profoundly, but in a good way... in a spiritual sense. They are happy now.

I wish for you to be in a very good place in the future, notwithstanding all you must suffer and deal with now in the coming weeks/months.....emotionally and in practical matters. I hope very much you can find some solace through memories, through the support of the community, friends, family....and at some point to feel much better in rebuilding your lives and home.

I really am so sorry...

Dear IQuestion,

As a fellow Websleuther, I wanted to stop and take the time to send prayers and support your way. Please continue to reach out here--we have an extremely caring group of people who are always willing to listen.

I live in Maine, deep in the woods and fire is my biggest fear of being way out in the boonies, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

My daughter lived in town and woke up early one morning to the smoke alarm going off. She had just enough time to wake her housemates and get out. They all stood in the street in their pajamas in twenty degree weather as their home burnt to the ground. Their pj's were the only thing they had left in the world. She couldn't even get in her locked car because the keys were left behind, as were everyone elses.. She and her fiance came to live with me after that and I truly understand what people go through after losing it all to fire. Healing is definitely a process, so be as patient as you can. Be easy on yourself. Hugs, Emma

Thank you, IQ, for sharing with us. I don't have the words or know what to say. Hold on tight. Everything you need most to get through this you have still, that's not been burned away, I'm sure. Do you have family or friends you can stay with for a few days until you find something temporary?
Love to you both too.

Thank you FINDHG..... Many friends have extended offers of temporary housing. Not sleeping well right now, Am at my business office now...5am. Hubby is staying with relatives in a nearby
community. I am making lists of all the things we need to do tomorrow....probably a silly pursuit, but at least it keeps me busy and thinking about the future. I was traveling at the time, so I have everything I need to get by for now....clothes, shoes, sundries and laptop. My friend described the night as burning embers flying through the air like flaming arrows.....landing everywhere.. We did everything right....a tile roof, all brush cleared around our property, and even had a fire hydrant right in front of our house. I got a weak chuckle from my hubby when I said, "I told you we didn't need to buy earthquake insurance." It is almost sunrise and I have a busy day ahead. All the firefighters and first responders are exhausted....and the fires are still spreading, so sad.
And, Lilibet I'll take that big squishy hug....I really need lots of them. I actually feel so very lucky....my husband took somebody else's shift at the last minute....he never thought it would be the last time he would see our home. He never got the benefit of even being able to retrieve one single item. Love to you all.

IQ I am so very sorry for you. What a horror. Wishing you peace and comfort, somehow to get through this. Cady

IQ, I am in tears for you. Yes, it is all just stuff, but it is stuff that held such treasured memories for you. Please be good to yourselves, remember that whatever you are feeling is valid, and please take any help that is offered that you need.

I echo the thoughts and wishes for healing for you... when it's time, of course...

more hugs coming your way from Arizona.

https://www.10news.com/news/u-s-wor...o-threaten-ventura-county-residents-and-homes
There is a short video posted by Jared A (scroll down the page to start the video) it has a picture of a firehose that was burned through. This is/WAS my neighborhood. Ironically, one of the destroyed homes belongs to a local fireman. I can not emphasize the horror and danger of the fast moving fire. I want you all to know....I always land on my feet. I actually only cried really hard after reading your sweet messages of encouragement. The power of your written words are amazing and I will keep in touch as the days progress. Enormous "squishy hugs" (per Lilibet) to all of you.

https://www.10news.com/news/u-s-wor...o-threaten-ventura-county-residents-and-homes
There is a short video posted by Jared A (scroll down the page to start the video) it has a picture of a firehose that was burned through. This is/WAS my neighborhood. Ironically, one of the destroyed homes belongs to a local fireman. I can not emphasize the horror and danger of the fast moving fire. I want you all to know....I always land on my feet. I actually only cried really hard after reading your sweet messages of encouragement. The power of your written words are amazing and I will keep in touch as the days progress. Enormous "squishy hugs" (per Lilibet) to all of you.

Back at you IQ with a huge squishy hug refill. :heartbeat: This video is heartbreaking. What a beautiful area. But I am sure you and your neighbors will make your properties beautiful again. The resilience of people is inspiring. I look forward to hearing from you and supporting you as you work your way through this tragedy.

IQ the power of your will is humbling and amazing as are your words. Thank you for keeping in touch and sharing them. Take good care. Take all the 'squishy' hugs you need
(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
:heartbeat:​

IQuestion, :grouphug: Love and prayers going out to you. I am so very sorry.

My lovely daughterinlaw grew up in Ventura, and she just lost her childhood home. :cry: She and my son live in Camarillo and so her parents are there with them right now, while they recover from their shock. :candle:

Many of her relatives live in the beautiful Ojai area and they are all worried about their homes too. Her Aunt and Uncle have a gorgeous ranch outside of Ojai, near the 33, and have spent the past 24 hrs moving livestock and horses to safer ground.

I am going to my son's tonight to take them some casseroles, but I really don't know what to say to the family. They had an absolutely gorgeous home where we spent a lot of recent Holidays with them/ I guess words don't matter as much as hugs and love.

They did escape with their lives and their doggie, and a few family pictures and papers. But very little because they said it was happening so fast.

IQ I'm so sorry I haven't been on. So far,my town has been lucky but at this point, we are surrounded by fire on all sides. The Rye fire is 4.5 miles away. We are still packed. For the first time in history, they have issued a purple flag warning. Expecting 80mph gusts. I won't lie...I'm scared and ready to go but husband is stubborn. Thinks I'm dramatic and hysterical lol. I have no idea where we would go or what we would do.
IQ are you following any FB groups? I have got a lot of info there as well as the VCFD scanner.
I'm sending you big hugs and will check my messages.
There are just no words.
(Listening to alive PC now. They seem to have no hope talking about tonights winds)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back