California WildFires 2017

There are always conspiracy theories, nowadays, in every tragedy.
These fires popped up miles from each other Sunday night, far too many miles apart to be humanly possible for one person to drive over mountainous terrain and start multiple fires in the timeframe.
It would take a large team of arsonists, which is more rare than a team large team of serial killers.
Psychopathic arson, the kind of arson this would be classified, is done by loners, it's not like vandalism arson done by a group of adolescents burning cars in the city.
Arson is a crime of anger and revenge. I can see why someone would fantasize that a large group of crazy CA haters would try to burn the state down, but that is a fantasy.

I don't know why people doubt the obvious, 70mph wind blew down power lines, causing sparks and transformers to blow. The downed lines and blown transformers are where the fires started, it doesn't take a rocket scientist..
I know PG&E has trouble maintaining their lines, I see the tall yellow grass around them, the trees growing up into the lines and vines growing across them. They have trouble maintaining their gas lines too, they blew up a suburban town by SF not that long ago. They make a good profit though, for their investors.
Forensics will tell us the truth, and some won't believe the forensics because it doesn't fuel their fears. The chances of an evil gang starting these fires is as believeable as thinking God is hitting the US with multiple disasters because of who we elected president.
PG&E should shut down the power when high winds come through during fire season, a brown out for a few hours is better than fire. Especially, considering this happened in the middle of the night, many wouldn't have even noticed a brown out.
The winds are coming back this weekend, I wish PG&E would shut down electric this weekend when the wind hits to avoid this happening, again.

Thank you, I just logged on and was about to ask the question how come so many fires spread over such a huge distance. It's terrifying. I'm annoyed that Harvey whathisname is still getting the headlines while this is going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how heartbreaking. most were elderly :(

:rose::rose::rose::rose:

Late Thursday, the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office identified 10 people who died in that county. They were:

Carol Collins-Swasey, 76, of Santa Rosa
Lynne Anderson Powell, 72, of Santa Rosa
Arthur Tasman Grant, 95, of Santa Rosa
Suiko Grant, 75, of Santa Rosa
Donna Mae Halbur, 80, of Larkfield-Wikiup
Leroy Peter Halbur, 80, of Larkfield-Wikiup
Valerie Lynn Evans, 75, of Santa Rosa
Carmen Caldentey Berriz, 75, of Apple Valley
Michael John Dornbach, 57, of Calistoga
Veronica Elizabeth McCombs, 67, of Santa Rosa
Some of the bodies were recovered intact, while others had been reduced to ashes and bones. In two cases, the remains were identified through the serial number on medical devices, such as a metal hip replacement. Two were identified by dental records, another through distinct tattoos. Authorities used fingerprints and family members to identify the rest.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-northern-california-firestorms-20171012-story.html

Thank you, I just logged on and was about to ask the question how come so many fires spread over such a huge distance. It's terrifying. I'm annoyed that Harvey whathisname is still getting the headlines while this is going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if only 45 deaths in PR is considered success, I guess 31 deaths are no big deal. We need paper towels!

i think we are at 32 now but I lost the link.

a 14 year old boy died in medocino when he couldn't outrun the fire w his family as they tried to evacuate

i think we are at 32 now but I lost the link.

a 14 year old boy died in medocino when he couldn't outrun the fire w his family as they tried to evacuate

I can’t even imagine the horror this family faced trying to flee when their car caught on fire.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/teen-boy-dies-in-driveway-during-mendocino-evacuations-family-hospitalized

ETA: More about this family. The teenaged daughter’s legs had to be amputated. :(

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/10/13/mendocino-fire-boy-killed/

Fire has no mercy I lost my home due to fire,burned to the ground.The only thing standing was the brick steps and chimney.Thank God we were not home,I had left to take my son to a speech therapy class and left my clothes dryer running.They say the clothes dryer caught the house on fire.You learn then that material items are not important,it's lives.
My house burned down in 17 minutes according to the fire report.The worse part was arriving on scene,never will forget the firefighters still putting out what was left.They are brave beyond belief.

My heart goes out to all these communities and I pray for rain that's what they need right now.Much rain.
no words ... :grouphug:

I can't even deal with all of this sorrow. I am heartbroken to see pics of the injured animals, read stories of the families with such loss.... all of my people are accounted for, so for that I am thankful.

My animals are all evacuated and safe. There are several boarding facilities available for large animals, in Sonoma, Marin and Solano Counties.
Also, the Westin has been amazing, letting us bring several pets into their hotel, dogs and cats, we even have bunnies in our room.
Some of the burned areas had huge dairy farms with hundreds of cows, I wonder if they were able to evacuate them all.

While it may be minor compared to so much that is happening, I am so glad you have many of your critters there with you. I find it amazing to hear that any major hotel would be so agreeable, but it definitely raises the name Westin on my Kudos list. Animals can bring us a bit of special comfort at times like this — wrap your arms around a furry one and feel their warmth and life. Bunnies, too —- I once had a house bunny. Pretty neat.

Cows WS and cattle, where can they go? I hope they were able to get them to safety somehow.

We live in dangerous times. I believe this will be considered arson in the neighborhoods once the investigations are complete whether that is what will be revealed to the public remains unknown.
Definitely no.

While it may be minor compared to so much that is happening, I am so glad you have many of your critters there with you. I find it amazing to hear that any major hotel would be so agreeable, but it definitely raises the name Westin on my Kudos list. Animals can bring us a bit of special comfort at times like this — wrap your arms around a furry one and feel their warmth and life. Bunnies, too —- I once had a house bunny. Pretty neat.

Cows WS and cattle, where can they go? I hope they were able to get them to safety somehow.
It's grim, but hopeful.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ive-horses-dogs-even-llamas-safety/759907001/
https://sf.eater.com/2017/10/11/16457388/sonoma-napa-santa-rosa-fires-farms-damage

I can't even deal with all of this sorrow. I am heartbroken to see pics of the injured animals, read stories of the families with such loss.... all of my people are accounted for, so for that I am thankful.

I’m so glad to hear that everyone you were worried about is accounted for. One thing I learned during 9-11 is that at some point I had to pull back from the images and stories in order to function. Not that I didn’t care, but eventually the details were more than I could bear emotionally. I think that’s true of so many disasters. And lately, there have been so many. Because I’m so familiar with these areas, this is the hardest. Wishing peace and comfort to all. :heartbeat:

this is so upsetting. I am grateful to all the places that were able to take in animals, both big and small. I am truly amazed/overwhelmed at the supportive actions of so many in this area. Hotels allowing pets, farms taking on other animals, fairgrounds taking animals. Amidst all the loss and sadness, it I good to read about the good side of human nature.

Unfortunately, it is not slowing down enough to feel any sense of security yet. winds are expected to rise tonight which could cause more spreading of the remaining fires. This has become the deadliest week in fire history for the state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fornia-wildfires-rage/?utm_term=.7a62bcf80e33

On Friday afternoon, federal officials [video=twitter;918894464042782720]https://twitter.com/ICEgov/status/918894464042782720[/video] they’re suspending routine immigration enforcement in the areas affected by the fires, except “in the event of a serious criminal presenting a public safety threat.”

Firefighters have made some gains with several fires that are no longer expected to grow. But as of Friday morning, 17 fires, including the deadliest in Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties, were still uncontained, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
The agency said that some 220,000 acres have been scorched across the state — a collective area bigger than the city of Dallas — as “red flag” conditions spread the fires with frightening speed.

The National Weather Service provided a morsel of good news
, reporting that the gusts that fueled the blazes and made them harder to fight had died down. The respite was expected to be brief, however, as north winds were expected to kick up by Friday night, according to Cal Fire.

I’m so glad to hear that everyone you were worried about is accounted for. One thing I learned during 9-11 is that at some point I had to pull back from the images and stories in order to function. Not that I didn’t care, but eventually the details were more than I could bear emotionally. I think that’s true of so many disasters. And lately, there have been so many. Because I’m so familiar with these areas, this is the hardest. Wishing peace and comfort to all. :heartbeat:

So well said. Thank you Lilibet and everyone else posting to keep this thread updated.

I am so very, very sorry for everyone affected by this horrible disaster.

The sheer terror of running from fire! To see everything you know and love go up in flames right before your eyes.

Such heartbreaking stories here.

I'm not there, so I can't say I know how you feel. But I do want to offer my deepest sympathy for all the sorrow and loss.

Makes me hold my loved ones a little closer...

I have no words to say. The devastation is mind boggling. My heart aches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back