Canada - 10 dead and at least 15 wounded in stabbing attacks in Saskatchewan, 2022

Why MS was released

Excerpt
Psychological reports describe his belief that he has post traumatic stress disorder and has taken anti-psychotic medication in the past. In 2020, he was taking medication for attention deficit disorder. He also reported problems with anxiety and suicidal thoughts. A psychologist reported various factors that could have influenced his offending, such as the deprivations of his childhood, and supported his conditional statutory release.

What a sad affair for the five children, knowing their dad is the subject of a high profile manhunt accused of murder. I always feel, if ever there’s a good reason for someone to turn a corner and take the high road, it’s so their children can be proud of them and look up to them in the future for overcoming a tough start in life. Obviously not in this case, I emphasize with them for the heartache he’s causing.

From your link - BBM
“He served more than two thirds of that time, however, and so was granted statutory release with conditions last summer. But then he deceived his parole supervisor about his contact with his common law partner and their five children, and so his statutory release was suspended last November. That suspension was lifted in February, freeing him again with an added condition about how he may contact the woman.”

Why MS was released

Excerpt
Psychological reports describe his belief that he has post traumatic stress disorder and has taken anti-psychotic medication in the past. In 2020, he was taking medication for attention deficit disorder. He also reported problems with anxiety and suicidal thoughts. A psychologist reported various factors that could have influenced his offending, such as the deprivations of his childhood, and supported his conditional statutory release.

The Washington Post says (from the Parole Board document) that the deprivations of his childhood include:

(Paraphrased)
The intergenerational effect of residential schools (not sure what that means, maybe hanging out with older kids?)
Neglect
Exposure to family and community susbstance abuse
His own substance abuse
Experiencing domestic violence during his childhood
The fragmentation of family
Lack of education
Loss of culture and spirituality

Myles Sanderson, seen in a police handout photo, is described by police as six-foot-one and 240 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Police say Sanderson, who has a violent criminal record and is considered dangerous, remains on the loose, but he may be injured.
''Myles Sanderson, seen in a police handout photo, is described by police as six-foot-one and 240 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Police say Sanderson, who has a violent criminal record and is considered dangerous, remains on the loose, but he may be injured. PHOTO BY HANDOUT /The Canadian Press

When he was released from custody in February, the fugitive alleged spree killer Myles Brandon Sanderson had been assessed at high risk of spousal violence and high risk to reoffend with violence. But he was released all the same, as a risk that could be managed.''

The Washington Post says (from the Parole Board document) that the deprivations of his childhood include:

(Paraphrased)
The intergenerational effect of residential schools (not sure what that means, maybe hanging out with older kids?)
Neglect
His own substance abuse
Lack of education

Intergenerational trauma: This article is about Manitoba, but the same thing happened throughout Canada and the US:

Intergenerational trauma: This article is about Manitoba, but the same thing happened throughout Canada and the US:

Thank you. So, the long lasting effect on parents and their children of institutionalised 'education'.

Very sad.

Without going off track on the thread ... I can say that we did similar from 1910-1970 when we decided that our First Nations children would be better off with white families. So we forcibly removed many of them from their families and placed them elsewhere.

We now call it The Stolen Generations. And admit that it was so, so wrong.

Last edited:

(Paraphrased)
Neglect
His own substance abuse
Lack of education

I know for a fact there are many wonderful indigenous people with exactly the same childhood background who have successfully overcome it and went on toward living fulfilling, rewarding and healthy lives. What makes the difference, where is the line drawn, I don’t know but something certainly does and I imagine it takes a lot of strength and courage. JMO

I live very near James Smith Cree Nation and on a regular basis deal with people from many of the reservations in and around this area in my job. Today was tough, as I helped a lady who was from JSCN and whose family member's life was taken this weekend. I tried to give her my condolences but what can you really even say?? Nothing can take their pain away.

My coworker's, little 8 year old son's best friend's grandma was one of the victims as well. The same co-worker's house has been surrounded by RCMP since it happened as she lives between Weldon and JSCN and there's a lot of bush around there. The suspect(s) would have had to drive right past her house to get to Weldon. She even had to ask the RCMP to move this morning just so she could get out of her drive way to go to work. So, there's still quite a heavy police presence even in the surrounding areas.

This is just beyond devastating for the community. The reserve is their home, the place they could always go back to, their safe place and that was taken from them. My heart hurts so much for everyone with ties to JSCN. They need to find Myles quick. No one can relax until then.

Last edited:
I live very near James Smith Cree Nation and on a regular basis deal with people from many of the reservations in and around this area in my job. Today was tough, as I helped a lady who was from JSCN and whose family member's life was taken this weekend. I tried to give her my condolences but what can you really even say?? Nothing can take their pain away.

My coworker's, little 8 year old son's best friend's grandma was one of the victims as well. The same co-worker's house has been surrounded by RCMP since it happened as she lives between Weldon and JSCN and there's a lot of bush around there. The suspect(s) would have had to drive right past her house to get to Weldon. She even had to ask the RCMP to move this morning just so she could get out of her drive way to go to work. So, there's still quite a heavy police presence even in the surrounding areas.

I cannot even begin to explain how devastating this is for the community. The reserve is their home, the place they could always go back to, their safe place and that was taken from them. My heart hurts so much for everyone with ties to JSCN. They need to find Myles quick. No one can relax until then.
Thank you for doing the best that you can.
Most of the rest of us can't really imagine...but we're trying to. It's so difficult to know what to do. How can that community ever be the same again?

Well the RCMP have no idea where he is. Between the reports earlier to day and now this. MS could be anywhere, it only takes one person to be helping him out, either by choice or by hostage situation.

Let the band organize and take care of this. Take it out of the hands of the inevitable future parole board do-gooders wanting him to return to the band for the good of society, yet again.

My hope is this update preludes positive news of an arrest. If they believe he’s not someplace, the most logical reason is because they know, at least roughly, where he is at, while not wanting him to panic and flee or do anything drastic to himself or others. JMO

“Today we received information that is leading us to believe he may no longer be in this community,” said Regina Police Chief Evan Bray in a video update posted to social media around 6 p.m. Tuesday.

RPS continues to support the RCMP investigation and search for Myles Sanderson. Today, police received information that is leading us to believe that he may no longer be in Regina.

The situation is dynamic & our Service is committed to joint work with our @RCMPSK partners. pic.twitter.com/qmothriIcL

— Regina Police (@reginapolice) September 6, 2022
Shortly before 3 p.m. Tuesday, the Saskatchewan RCMP said that Sanderson was not on James Smith Cree Nation. That came after a heavy police presence responded to reported sightings there of the ma…..”

Yes, as a Canadian in western Canada, I was very impressed at how fast RCMP reacted and public safety alerts were sent out. I have gotten 3 or 4 alerts since the horrific incident started. The last alert was last night, which indicated the previous alerts remain in effect and that Myles MAY be injured and seeking medical attention. Also, the alert indicated that Myles MAY be driving the black Nissan but it isn’t known whether he is alone. Also, Myles’s physical description was given again.
Yes. I live in the neighbouring province of Manitoba and got an alert on my TV last evening.

Let the band organize and take care of this. Take it out of the hands of the inevitable future parole board do-gooders wanting him to return to the band for the good of society, yet again.

Sentencing circles are not uncommon but it has to be approved by the courts and is for more minor offences or people who are not habitual offenders.

Wow, if he's not in Regina anymore they believe then that means he's alive. Authorities all over Canada are on alert for him, I suspect the USA also. Which means as I posted earlier he could have been helped with his injuries. I wonder if he will try to cross the border and into Latin America, to blend in, to have a hard time to extradite to North America. If he's trying to cross its a good time to do it now since the weather is conducive. There are a lot of border areas that are under surveilled.

I know for a fact there are many wonderful indigenous people with exactly the same childhood background who have successfully overcome it and went on toward living fulfilling, rewarding and healthy lives. What makes the difference, where is the line drawn, I don’t know but something certainly does and I imagine it takes a lot of strength and courag
Yes. I live in the neighbouring province of Manitoba and got an alert on my TV last evening.
It seems the alert system is being used instead of Twitter?

Guess we learned something from the tragedy in NS.

I still can’t believe they used TWITTER to send out time sensitive, critical and potentially life altering information. Oye.

Why MS was released

Excerpt
So they feel sorry for him due to his deprived childhood and the past wrongs against indigenous Canadians, and therefore give him his 59th chance to change. That's beyond bleeding hearts; that's insane in my opinion.

Not certain this is applicable in this case (as in any actual Gladue Reports were files) but the principles would likely have been applied at sentencing.

Gladue is somewhat controversial - the intention is to help “correct” the over-representation of the Indigenous population in the criminal justice system and to incorporate more traditional methods of “healing”. To decrease harm to the Indigenous communities.

Ironically, most of the violence towards Indigenous people is caused by……Indigenous people.

Edited right fix my auto correct

Assembly of First Nations National Chief RoseAnne Archibald wrote in a statement on Monday that people who have reached out inquiring about where donations for the James Smith Cree Nation can be sent can follow the guidance of the three bands’ leaders.

“Donations of food” and other staple items - like Styrofoam plates, cups, etc - can be dropped off directly at the Bernard Constant Community School, the statement from the JSCN read.

“Please refrain from using e-transfers, instead feel free to bring gift cards or monetary donations to the command centre,” the statement continued.

Police say suspect not on James Smith Cree Nation land - follow live
(not sure if this is paywalled, but the Twitter post can be found in the twitter feed of Chief Rose Anne - RoseAnne Archibald)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back