Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how come no-one asked if the accused wears size 13 shoes? Did I miss it or is that a seriously begging question?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wonder if DG owns a video camera and was one taken into evidence...

So how come no-one asked if the accused wears size 13 shoes? Did I miss it or is that a seriously begging question?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oh, it'll come no doubt.
Sooooo much info will be coming now.
I can't wait to know: IS HE GOING TO TESTIFY!!!???

I want to know when they saw the pictures taken by the plane doing the mapping. So much will fall into place when we know that.

Gotta wonder if he chose a size larger to try and frame someone. Size 13 is quite large. How tall is he?

Oh, it'll come no doubt.
Sooooo much info will be coming now.
I can't wait to know: IS HE GOING TO TESTIFY!!!???

If he does testify I am going down to the courthouse for that. I think it will be really interesting. That should occur before I have to go back to work in mid March.

Gotta wonder if he chose a size larger to try and frame someone. Size 13 is quite large. How tall is he?

Ha ha - I was thinking awfully big feet for such a slight man - my estimate from my up close firsthand view is 5'8" max

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 45s45 seconds ago
Justice Gates adjourning early because he has to be in Whitehorse for a pretrial application on an upcoming jury trial there. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Shute is done being questioned by the crown. Cross will happen Monday. Court is adjourned for today. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 3m3 minutes ago
Police found a bag on the #Garland farm containing handcuffs and a billy club, Det. Shute says.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 4m4 minutes ago
Shute said he was also told of a bag with handcuffs/billy club/baton inside #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 4m4 minutes ago
"There was a burn barrel still smouldering on the property," Det. Shute says of July 4, 2014, search of #Garland farm.

BBM

Re the billy club - a few swings of one of those can do some serious damage and definitely knock a tooth or two out.

Graphic - I'm sorry....

The smouldering file in the burn barrel - there is a very distinct odour when flesh is being burned. I have to wonder if LE noted that on arrival at the farm or if it was something else burning when they arrived.

Ha ha - I was thinking awfully big feet for such a slight man - my estimate from my up close firsthand view is 5'8" max

I never thought of him as tall but even so it's not an average size. I wonder what size foot Alvin or even Allan wear.

I hope this doesn't turn into "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit".

Thats a good theory too. Size 13 is super large.

I am male and have what I would call large feet. Not extremely large but regular large.

When wearing boots I have to always get a larger size because the socks are typically thicker.

So I wear size 12 for Boots.
In sneakers and regular shoes I wear a 10 1/2.

So a sneaker or regular shoe size of 13 is huge.
If its a boot size 13 they are talking about then it would be like a man wearing a regular shoe size of about 11 1/2 or so which I would consider very large.

Not basketball player large but still very large as compared to norm IMO.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 31m31 minutes ago
More
Shute says a bank card w/ name (matthew something) found Shute said he recognized name crown steers away saying another witness will discuss

Actually, the question of first or second degree murder is interesting. If his plan was to abduct two victims, take them alive to the acreage, torture them (there seems to be evidence to support this), and murder them, then although he planned to murder them, he did not plan to murder them at the Liknes home. In fact, he could have changed his mind at any time after the abduction and left them alive, or the live victims could have been discovered on the acreage by his parents.

If the plan went South in the first few minutes of the kidnapping, then that may fall under second degree murder. He had no intention of murdering the victims in the Liknes home, and there was never a plan to harm Nathan. I suppose that is where the defence has room to make an argument for a lesser conviction and sentence.

The Crown may need to argue that all three victims were alive at the acreage in order to secure a first degree murder conviction, but I'm skeptical that this is possible ... we'll see.
Forgive me, I'm catching up with today's happenings but, here in the UK it would still be considered murder (1St degree) if you break into someone's home with a plan to abduct them (armed with a baton too) then it's considered that you should/could forsee it ending badly, therfore - murder not manslaughter (2nd degree?)

Aha, just found the answer to what I was about to ask - how does it work in Canadian Law -

'It is also important to know that, if you kill a police officer in the course of his duty, it is automatically a first degree charge even if it was not planned and deliberate. If you murder someone in a course of a sexual assault or forced confinement then the charge is also first degree and called constructive first degree murder. You may not have planned it and deliberated about it, but if in the course of a sexual assault, confinement or a kidnapping the victim ends up dying and you are responsible for their death, it is deemed to be first degree murder.'

So, 1St degree murder IS the right charge?

http://info.lawyershop.ca/archives/...st-and-second-degree-murder-and-manslaughter/

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 31m31 minutes ago
More
Shute says a bank card w/ name (matthew something) found Shute said he recognized name crown steers away saying another witness will discuss

I missed that!
Matthew ______ is the identity he stole so many years ago!

Is it possible size 13 could have been a special order? Maybe online? Was it confirmed to be a men's size 13?

I'm baaaaack. Off to get caught up but quickly, what does this mean?

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 24m24 minutes ago
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

Could this be something about was argued out of evidence? Probably not because she is a police officer so she would know to not even bring it up. It's a really confusing statement though

Could this be something about was argued out of evidence? Probably not because she is a police officer so she would know to not even bring it up. It's a really confusing statement though

Definitely got me jumpin'!

Regarding the burn barrel, I think it was mentioned by one of the parents that Douglas helped out around the home and took care of the property. One of his tasks was burning the garbage. I'm surprised that the Prosecution didn't ask if there was any sort of cyclical nature or schedule for burning the garbage. Obviously, if there was a pattern or schedule and the burn barrel was found smouldering outside of typical use patterns that could be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member