Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible size 13 could have been a special order? Maybe online? Was it confirmed to be a men's size 13?

Size 13 wouldn't be special order. It's usually the biggest size that stores carry for men though. That brand is quite common as well. Is Walmart the only store that carries it? That is where I've seen them

Could this be something about was argued out of evidence? Probably not because she is a police officer so she would know to not even bring it up. It's a really confusing statement though

If she said "I've only seen a video" the statement would make sense. In this form it makes no sense. Two reporters quoted exactly the same way and I tweeted both. Only Lucie responded.

More confirmation that this Garland chap is capable of doing something like he is charged with. Using a fake ID of a dead person.

I know, what a ^%*&%(@
A dead 14 year old no less.

Did he hold on to enough of Matthew's ID from all that time ago to somehow bring that name back to life and get a debit or credit card in Matthew's name to buy supplies for The Event?
Or, was it just a coincidence that LE found the card in M's name while they searched and it was an old, long forgotten card?
Was this another thing that blew up in DG's face?

http://www.albertanonews.com/nathan...-preliminary-inquiry-begins-in-calgary-today/

" ...A document from the Tax Court of Canada indicates Garland was later discovered living under Matthew Kemper Hartley’s stolen identity in Vancouver.
Hartley was a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980."

I still want to know - where do his folks think he was for all the years he lived under that assumed name? How does a parent cope with that. the manufacturing of crystal meth and now this?

Is it possible size 13 could have been a special order? Maybe online? Was it confirmed to be a men's size 13?

From this link it says they found a shoe box matching and two others of most likely different shoes. So I do kind of wonder if he bought one extra large just for the purpose of the murder and to throw off investigators and he forgot to throw away the box. Maybe not to frame anyone in particular but just to make it look like it wasnt him.

It will depend if the other boxes are size 13 too. Surprised they didnt tell us what size box the other two were. He either always wears a 13 or he tried to not wear shoes that would match anything he could wear.

"they found three shoe boxes, including one for a Dr. Scholl's Delta 2 in size 13 wide, court heard."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/douglas-garland-murder-nathan-obrien-liknes-arrest-day-5-1.3944917

keeping the box around sounds like he wasnt too bright of a murderer planning.

I still want to know - where do his folks think he was for all the years he lived under that assumed name? How does a parent cope with that. the manufacturing of crystal meth and now this?

<modsnip> His mom said that she thinks he is an unhappy man. They may have felt responsible and that to keep him out of society or to protect him he would be better off at the acreage with them. I do wonder if DG abused his parents in one form or another.

I found it odd that they found 130 pairs of shoes. Not that it would directly matter to the case but to have so many accumulated seems odd. Perhaps hoarders if the sizes range from so small and up.

@ValFortney
Sgt. Gallen says 130 pairs of shoes were found at the #Garland farm. Some were very small, children's shoes, everything from 10 to 13, 14

I found it odd that they found 130 pairs of shoes. Not that it would directly matter to the case but to have so many accumulated seems odd. Perhaps hoarders if the sizes range from so small and up.

@ValFortney
Sgt. Gallen says 130 pairs of shoes were found at the #Garland farm. Some were very small, children's shoes, everything from 10 to 13, 14

That is a lot of shoes for 3 people. Did they have grandkids? That could account for kid's shoes. My parents have a cottage and we all leave shoes there. With everyone leaving shoes and boots at the cottage the amount does add up quickly.

I'd be shocked if a man 5'7-5'8 had size 13 Wide feet. That's a shoe size a taller, husky man would wear.

How prolific could this accused killer be? The first thing I thought was the clothing and shoes could be trophies.

Unless the hair was a wig. There was a photo of the hair and it seemed longer and thicker than Nathan's.

I know that it's speculation, but a wig as well as too large shoes sounds like he could have gone for a complete disguise.

How prolific could this accused killer be? The first thing I thought was the clothing and shoes could be trophies.

I wondered the same thing the more I learn about this Garland. He sounds a lot like Todd Kohlhepp murderer who owned rural land and had mental issues and had business dealing issues with other people .

Once he was caught we found out about more murders the guy did.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...og-south-carolina-shallow-grave-a7400651.html

I do have to wonder during Garlands other crime years where he was on the run whether he killed someone else and it made it easier for him to take out revenge on someone.

I tried looking up the circumstances of how the 14 year old died but I could not find out anything more about it other than it was some sort of accident. But the thing is he was 14 so he probably didnt have a drivers licence. And supposedly there may have been a younger girl with same last name that also died if I read things right. So wonder who was driving when they died and wonder how this Garland chap got to know about the boys particular ID.

Its not all that easy to get real fake IDs so that must have took some planning too and he was involved in lots of criminal mischief for a lot of his life. He was on the run for a number of years too.

I have a feeling more serious crimes that he was never caught for. Whether any other murders I am not sure but I would not be surprised if we eventually find out he did commit other murders in his past.

I don't recall that ever being reported or discussed ... based on my memory only, could be wrong or have missed it

I do not know where they were but Doreen testified on July 4th that both her and A went to the detachment to make statements and after the statements they were informed that they could not return home and their property was being seized.

@ValFortney

I totally agree, and I hope there will be more discussion of that detail in court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DG's shoe size had to have been verified prior to all this talk of his shoe size of 13 wide at trial.

Wonder if either AL or KL's cell phones could have inadvertently recorded any of the goings on during the attack.. AL's phone being in a cardboard box seems odd. Surely LE would have checked that possibility?

Jmo

Re BBM
This really surprises me about the differences between Canada and US attorney litigation. I am beginning to like Canada's methods because a lot of the differences help keep costs down and also can work to get a more fair trial. That should be the goal here in the US and often times it is not because if you have a lot of money you can win your case just because you got a good lawyer. I wish the fairness of a trial can become the most important thing.

I almost could not believe this was even the case in Canada for this particular point because I have seen many US attorneys really try to sway the jury for their case. I dont know hardly anything about how Canada does it and found this point surprising and so I tried to look up about it and found below link. When I looked it up about this particular point I found something in there that seems to agree about this.
Its really interesting and surprising to me and Im beginning to like Canada methods about this in trials.

"Differences in legal ethics matter, too. In America, more than elsewhere, lawyers are encouraged to advance their client&#8217;s interests without regard to the interests of justice in the particular case or broader social concerns. American lawyers&#8217; professional culture is unique in permitting and implicitly encouraging them to assert novel theories of recovery, coach witnesses, and wear down their opponents through burdensome pretrial discovery."

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/f-h-buckley-a-better-country-with-fewer-lawyers

I've followed trials in Canada, USA, Aruba, England, Italy, Peru and a few other places. USA law is unique in law compared to the British Commonwealth and Western European countries. I was stunned when following a NC trial and learned that the prosecution could lead with two weeks of neighbourhood dirty laundry to impugn the character of the accused. A huge benefit in Canadian and British law ... and Roman Law ... is that the accused is entirely innocent until the verdict. In Europe and England, only the first name of the accused can be published prior to conviction. In Canada as well, the media does not have talking heads discussing evidence and debating the outcome. Many people from the USA are doubtful when they hear that because it is such a difference interpretation of 'benefit of the doubt'. But - it's true. Impugning the character of an accused for two weeks prior to presenting the evidence of the case is unheard of. That was the Brad Cooper case where he murdered his wife in NC (where they lived). He and his wife are from Alberta.

The prosecution represents the People and is there to present facts. No one cares what the prosecutor thinks of the facts. The defence seeks to refute the facts with other facts. It's up to the jury to decide which facts matter more.

I wondered the same thing the more I learn about this Garland. He sounds a lot like Todd Kohlhepp murderer who owned rural land and had mental issues and had business dealing issues with other people .

Once he was caught we found out about more murders the guy did.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...og-south-carolina-shallow-grave-a7400651.html

I do have to wonder during Garlands other crime years where he was on the run whether he killed someone else and it made it easier for him to take out revenge on someone.

I tried looking up the circumstances of how the 14 year old died but I could not find out anything more about it other than it was some sort of accident. But the thing is he was 14 so he probably didnt have a drivers licence. And supposedly there may have been a younger girl with same last name that also died if I read things right. So wonder who was driving when they died and wonder how this Garland chap got to know about the boys particular ID.

Its not all that easy to get real fake IDs so that must have took some planning too and he was involved in lots of criminal mischief for a lot of his life. He was on the run for a number of years too.

I have a feeling more serious crimes that he was never caught for. Whether any other murders I am not sure but I would not be surprised if we eventually find out he did commit other murders in his past.
In Canada at that time it was not hard to get ID in someone else's name. All he would of needed was the boy's full name,date of birth and mother's maiden name to send away for the boy's birth certificate. All of the info is easily obtained from reading obits. After receiving the birth certificate he would of applied for a SIN# and probably a health card then using this ID went and got a drivers license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
becebooboo