Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
In bold...very interesting and what some sleuthers suspected. So did DG figure he would get some money owed to him by Alvin after all these years or get revenge? Figuring AL and KL were moving away to Mexico and having a criminal record DG wouldn't be allowed to travel across the border. To him now was the time to take care of a long standing resentment from bad business dealing?

What better time to commit a crime in a home but on a weekend when 300 people (and sets of fingerprints) were in the house; when there was lots of unusual traffic on the street; when a robbery by a stranger might be LE's first guess as to what had happened.

I still get the impression from the PC that the family knew something or suspected something. JO spoke more so, as if she was trying to contain her temper, as if she felt like she wanted to blurt out something personal to the abductors. MOO.

Remember these are all people on JO's side of the family. JO likely knows the story of AL and DG and RO might have been clueless about the whole thing before last week. That would explain a lot of the differences in emotion that we saw at the news conferences.

CPS has been in charge of this since they went missing. When they discovered they had to go to airdrie, some RCMP got involved as well since it's technically RCMP jurisdiction as it's outside of Calgary city limits. So they are working together while investigating the property.

It could also be that the RCMP has a wider range of resources compared to CPS which is essential a municipal police force. Many of the smaller, more rural Alberta communities are policed by the RCMP. A community like Stettler has it's own detachment whereas Erskine and Red Willow would not. They would be covered by Stettler. If that makes any sense ?

Michael Platt reports that Rod O'Brien felt compelled to attend DG's court date even if it is on charges not related to his 5 year old son's disappearance.
He wants the public to be aware that the case has not been solved yet, it is still open and being investigated.

And O'Brien says that as long as it does, he doesn't want anyone to assume it's solved -- because that might lead people to overlook a clue, or ignore information vital to finding the three. "Please, keep your eyes open," says the father, as he leaves the court.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2014/07/20140707-193041.html

I think the grandfather is dead and Nathan and his grandma are still alive. I feel the blood at the house was the grandpas.

I hate even to think it, but after seeing Wondergirl's picture (post #212 in thread #1), and then Otto's retouch with red saturation added (post #256) I've had a terrible sinking feeling that Nathan might be gone :(

BrejSOECYAAyiGT.jpg:large

CalgaryMissing3_zpse413706f.jpg

But could someone be so evil as to kill the child in front of the grandparents, as in an "I'll teach you" kind of thing? Sends shivers down the spine, and I pray this scenario did not happen.

It could also be that the RCMP has a wider range of resources compared to CPS which is essential a municipal police force. Many of the smaller, more rural Alberta communities are policed by the RCMP. A community like Stettler has it's own detachment whereas Erskine and Red Willow would not. They would be covered by Stettler. If that makes any sense ?

Airdrie is policed by the RCMP. Calgary is policed by the Calgary Police Service (CPS).
I would assume that because this case is so big and there are still three missing persons, one of them being a child that the RCMP have been asked to assist. They have additional resources such as their dog handlers, search + rescue, aircraft etc. Plus more boots on the ground. They also have their own criminal intelligence unit. I am sure everybody everywhere has been working full steam 24/7.
Any tips coming into the RCMP phone lines would be investigated by the RCMP in communication with the CPS.

Reposting a photo I shared yesterday...

I took this from the driveway entrance of the Garland property. You can see part of the slough in the background. Gives a little more perspective.

29ap1k4.jpg

Thanks, if you look close you can see something which I think is weeds/grass growing in the slough, maybe that is what is seen blurred in the other pictures?

What better time to commit a crime in a home but on a weekend when 300 people (and sets of fingerprints) were in the house; when there was lots of unusual traffic on the street; when a robbery by a stranger might be LE's first guess as to what had happened.

Remember these are all people on JO's side of the family. JO likely knows the story of AL and DG and RO might have been clueless about the whole thing before last week. That would explain a lot of the differences in emotion that we saw at the news conferences.

Exactly SD, I agree. And to just say regarding your bold part. I know my hubby at times doesn't care to hear issues which go on with either sides of our families. He thinks it's gossipy or petty or much ado about nothing or "water under the bridge" so to speak. So maybe JO didn't share some of these things with RO ever or her gut feeling as to what she believed may have happened. JMO.

I've been catching up and reading this thread today.

I thought I read earlier that Nathan's father was a homicide detective (or at least LE). So it struck me when I read that he was in court with a homicide detective that the reporter may have been referring to just one person, not RO and a HD.

This may be why we're not hearing too much from the family. The dad has experience in detective work, so he is somewhat in charge of what gets out IMOO

Does anyone else remember about the dad being LE?

I just re-iterated what LE said themselves to explain the joint effort.

I thought I read earlier that Nathan's father was a homicide detective (or at least LE). So it struck me when I read that he was in court with a homicide detective that the reporter may have been referring to just one person, not RO and a HD.

This may be why we're not hearing too much from the family. The dad has experience in detective work, so he is somewhat in charge of what gets out IMOO

RO has a pic of his Dad (older pic of youngish, good looking RCMP) on his FB and someone else commented to the effect 'your dad is watching over everyone'. Sounds to me as if his Dad has passed away.

Thanks, if you look close you can see something which I think is weeds/grass growing in the slough, maybe that is what is seen blurred in the other pictures?

Yeah I saw some aerial footage of the slough on the news today and it looked like it was probably a patch of grass.

I believe that you are thinking of Nathan's grandfather, RO's father, who it appears was a member of the RCMP. So RO was not the homicide detective at court today, he was accompanied by a homicide detective. HTH

I think RO (Nathan's dad) is an accountant. Anyone else feel free to chime in here. But I'm pretty sure that it's Ro's dad who was in LE.

I hate even to think it, but after seeing Wondergirl's picture (post #212 in thread #1), and then Otto's retouch with red saturation added (post #256) I've had a terrible sinking feeling that Nathan might be gone :(

BrejSOECYAAyiGT.jpg:large

CalgaryMissing3_zpse413706f.jpg

But could someone be so evil as to kill the child in front of the grandparents, as in an "I'll teach you" kind of thing? Sends shivers down the spine, and I pray this scenario did not happen.

And no one heard a thing that night?

In other highly publicized missing person cases are there not usually more PC's and more pleas from the family members to find the missing. Just thinking of the Tori Stafford case and Tim Bosma too. I have to wonder if there is reason there have not been more pleas publicly in this case? Anybody have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with you Nettie about the lack of pleas. There have been updates but nearly not enough public pleas. I'm thinking the worst and now it is just a case of recovery. LE know more than they are saying. I suspect the POI's truck has given them some sort of indication but the POI is not cooperating. If the POI was to confess, it will then be declared a recovery. I won't hold me breath on a confession though. LE are now working from the inside out kwim. Start at the premises and work your way out. I'm sure over the coming days we will see many more search areas being set up, each getting further from the Garland's property, until they find what they are looking for.

I assume LE have spoken to DG's parents and they can give a time frame as to when he wasn't home and going by that LE assume the victims cannot be too far from his home.

LE are also doing or have done a complete examination of the interior of the Garland's home removing lots of stuff as seen in previous pictures posted. There is a reason behind removing all those items. They are items of interest obviously. They are remaining very tight lipped about this case and rightfully so. You asked for thoughts, well there's mine. :( All JMO.

The sinister story of the missing family in Airdrie, Alberta, has progressively been taking darker and darker turns.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3663421959001

From that we know DG is in custody at least until Wednesday

@ 0:55 Well the very latest, Michael, is that DG, who is considered not a suspect at this point but very much a person of interest, has been remanded in custody until Wednesday, but this is very much on a matter unrelated to the diappearance of these three people.

In other highly publicized missing person cases are there not usually more PC's and more pleas from the family members to find the missing. Just thinking of the Tori Stafford case and Tim Bosma too. I have to wonder if there is reason there have not been more pleas publicly in this case? Anybody have any thoughts?

TS and TB were abducted by strangers. In this case the POI and the missing know each other. And...I think that LE think that DG is the guy they want. Thus, the searches over what must be 100 acres or so? near DG's home. And hanging on to him on the new identity theft charge. And the lack of pleas to the public. The family should not have to stand there before the microphone and air all of its dirty laundry to the public. Only LE needs to know what's up with the relationship between AL and DG and the only other people that can speak to this as well are member of the same family circle. Things will come out in due time.

LE's challenge though is proving that DG was in a house that has 300 pairs of fingerprints in it. Looking at the pictures of the washed-away blood, and hearing the news videos describe trails of blood out to the street, I am sure LE figured out early on that that much blood loss equates death. I am sure that is why RO cried that he knew Nathan's soul was with God in the early press conference. Things didn't look good from the start.

The Amber Alert could have been a tactic to try and get information to track the green pickup seen in the area. Where the public could help is in video evidence of the green pickup seen at what times, what locations, with what aboard.

The amount of blood at the house, and DNA identification of the source of it, would let LE know they are looking at a bleak picture. DG may have motive, his truck may have been seen stalking the L home...but there is an incredibly contaminated crime scene, many km of rural roads, no trace of AL, KL and NO, and an incredible challenge to link DG to what happened at the home. If LE know that DG makes sense of the suspect, and that they should concentrate all of these resources on checking him out...are they ever going to "catch" him? LE is only wishing and hoping DG brought AL, KL and NO all the way home with him and there must be 20 km rural roads on the way to Airdrie from Parkhill, isn't there?

MOO

Great catch...

The way the report was worded could be interpreted in at least two ways...

- There was a homicide detective and the dad at the hearing... (Referring to two people)

Or....

- There was homicide detective and dad at the hearing today... (JO is a homicied detective AND Nathan's dad)

I do remember some family member was in LE... But I don't trust my memory well...:blushing:

I am off to google...:seeya:

I think this is where that came in? A guy who knows their pastor says they are as good as to be expected?

That's not exactly the same as saying that they have been seen by a reliable witness and are known to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NomDePlumme