Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of thoughts... Cardston, AB is the town where MKH was from and is buried. It is 262 km (193 mi) directly south of Airdrie. If someone (DG) wanted to procure a new identity, why would he choose one from a deceased person so close to home? I think it would be quite risky to do so. People, especially 2 decades ago before things were really booming in Alberta, all seem to be connected somehow to each other in that province. Kinda one big small town.

Also, according to the attached link, DG got his own SIN in 1980 when he was approx. 20 years old. He obtained a SIN in the name of MKH in 1993 and used it in Vancouver until being busted in the late '90s. Did he file Federal Income Tax in the time he was using the false identity? Was anyone in his family aware he was actively using a fake ID?

So many questions... so few answers.

http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/...2005/03/03/garland-v-m-n-r-2005-tcc-176.shtml

UPDATED
Nathan O'Brien Amber Alert: Police investigate 'business issues' as search expands

Last Updated: Jul 11, 2014 6:30

Calgary police are looking into a patent dispute as part of their investigation into the disappearance of a five-year-old and his grandparents, a source close to the investigation told CBC News.

Sources say a business deal went sour, leading to "bad blood."

Winter Petroleum, a junior gas company that was owned by Liknes, went bankrupt near the end of June — just days before the family went missing. Liknes had registered a patent for an apparatus that separates gas from water.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...e-business-issues-as-search-expands-1.2702103

Katie Simpson
Nathan O'Brian's father has arrived in court. Person of interest in his son's disappearance has not appeared yet.

Katie Simpson
Calgary Police issue news release saying the search continues at the property owned by Douglas Garland's parents.

Katie Simpson· 6m
At this time, Calgary Police do not have any plans to update the media today. They're also continuing the landfill search.

https://twitter.com/KatieSimpson24

that ad has been running for a long time I encountered it when this first started it seems to automate the date, as it keeps changing when the ad was posted.

Thanks, that makes sense. The cell number attached to the ad connects to numerous links and websites.

Daryl Slade

@heraldcourt

Expect bail hearing to begin soon for Douglas Garland, person of interest in missing couple Kathy and Alvin Liknes and grandson Nathan, 5.

I can answer the above bolded question. People think the oil field is this huge huge thing. In a way it is, but it is also small when it comes to networking almost like a big extended family. If he has been in the business 30 something years which I suspect he has. Then he has a lot of contacts. When someone leaves a big company and starts a little one the word of mouth is super fast. Oil field men gossip worse than women in Sunday church (no offense to anyone). You could run a successful oil service company wihtout a website easily.

Yes for servicing for sure... and I guess my point is that guys will make heaps of $$ this way and then get together to turn this $$ into jr oil investment(s) that may or may not be successful.....that's the story for a number of people in my family. However... I will slightly contridict myself-- in order to raise the big capital in order to get the really big players to invest in resource extraction or get bought out...which is the end game... you do eventually need some type of web presence... so that is sort of interesting. It could be that they never got far enough in any of their ventures to take it to that level. It could be that because they were dealing with developing tech patents they were keeping things on the quiet.

I wonder if because of his age AL could just be an old school guy who wasn't web-savvy and didn't see the need to invest the resources into doing up a web-page if they were just looking to be eventually bought out.

It could also be considered suspicious and telling. I only found a web-site for Blue Sky Oil and Gas and I believe that is the one that AL sold to another American Company a number of years ago.

Was AL directly involved in Calcap?

Also to further my point-- Rough necks turned white collar investors could have caused problems for AL if any of his companies went south and they lost their shirt. Some of those guys are scary!

For LE to publicly name a POI in any case in Canada means that they are very sure of themselves.

Do we have a running list of the business ventures that AL and KL have been linked to?

I've been thinking about these poor missing people a lot.

There are so many different things that could have happened to them.

But here are my thoughts, and I hope it's OK to post them:

1. So many things were terminating that week, AL's business, their lease (soon, anyway), the 'estate' sale, the move to Mexico/Edmonton. This was the end of a chapter in their lives, and they were moving on, no matter what the circumstances. Given that this would have been the last chance for someone to get a hold of them, or confront them, I believe that someone they knew (I do not presume to guess who) from past dealings, felt an urgent need to confront them in their home before they left the country. I believe they knew them because there was not a break in, no other houses in the neighbourhood were targeted. Someone was desperate and angry. Or mentally disturbed in some way.

2. We know that one or all of the missing people were assaulted, or hurt in the crime. However, LE is leading us to believe that all 3 could possibly be alive, or were at least alive. If they had been shot, possibly neighbours may have heard. And they'd more likely would have had fatal injuries. I believe that there was a serious struggle, and the grandparents were defending themselves and their grandson.

3. It is unlikely that this happened early Monday morning. It gets light out early, people get up, walk their dogs, go to work. So it happened some time after JO left the house, most likely some time between 10 pm and around 5 am. This means it could have been a premeditated crime. Or someone who waited until the last minute to confront them.

4. A random predator, going after the child, can be considered. They could have seen NO at the estate sale, and came back that night. They had no way of knowing, really, if the child lived there or not. Perhaps they intended to just snatch the child, but were caught in the act. However, why, then were the grandparents abducted, too? To hide traces of the true crime? If that's the case, it would be difficult for just one person to do this crime.

5. If it was just one person, then they would have had to either move/transport each abductee separately at one point, even if it's just to the car. Very difficult, and risky. Someone could hear or see something, even in the middle of the night. It's summer, and people keep their windows open.

6. The abductees would have to be transported somewhere, somehow. Doing it separately, again, would be risky. Because the person left behind, unless incapacitated, could have a possibility of escape.

7. It is possible that the criminal used a threat against NO to persuade the grandparents to get in the vehicle of their own volition. However, this would then go against premeditation, because no one knew that NO was going to be there. However, the criminal could have thought of this upon the spot.

8. I imagine the grandparents at home, someone either knocks/rings at the door. Or, they just come right in. Maybe the door was still unlocked from the estate sale. Another reason I don't think it was a petty thief or opportunist from the estate sale, is because usually that sort of thief, interrupted, would run away. They wouldn't harm and abduct 3 people.

9. An argument ensues. We don't know why, we can only speculate. Obviously the person who did this has either no conscience, or is on drugs. It's probably not any sort of family abduction, otherwise LE would have labelled it as such, and worded the Amber Alert differently.

10. Either one guy does it, or more than one guy. It depends on the difficulty of transporting 3 people. If they were injured, they'd be easier to transport by one person.

11. How far did he get? LE is searching locally in landfills and in Airdrie. But could he have gone farther? Depending on when the crime occurred, he could have driven for hours into the country, hundreds and hundreds of kilometres away. LE knows this. Yet they're searching close to home.

These are my thoughts, and I hope they're allowed on this forum.

For LE to publicly name a POI in any case in Canada means that they are very sure of themselves.

If DG really does get released today, and if he really had anything to do with the missing ,my fear is a member of the public might do something negative. I hope people are smart and do not take matters into their own hands even though they may mean well. People are upset and rightly so that this family is missing. I just hope there is no retaliation upon his release as that could limit finding them.

Thanks, that makes sense. The cell number attached to the ad connects to numerous links and websites.

Numerous indeed. One of which was updated June 29th although the raw data posts it 07/07/14. It's possible this account settings are set to auto-renew annualy but it doesn't make much sense really since it's simply a parked domain. If it were an active site, auto-renew makes sense but not for a site that has no content. https://who.is/whois/inedmontonalbertacanada.com

Numerous indeed. One of which was updated June 29th although the raw data posts it 07/07/14. It's possible this account settings are set to auto-renew annualy but it doesn't make much sense really since it's simply a parked domain. If it were an active site, auto-renew makes sense but not for a site that has no content. https://who.is/whois/inedmontonalbertacanada.com

And searching the email simply links to more of the same.

Valerie Fortnay -Calgary Herald Twitter, court appearance of DG

"Man accompanying Rod O'Brien says he is Al, son of Alvin Liknes. #yyc #amberalert"

Al is also the brother in law of DG. IMO, this not only shows a united front by the O'Brien and Liknes families, but also sends a serious message to DG...maybe in the hopes of getting DG to cooperate, that this family means business, time for DG to tell what he knows.

Just some thoughts --- Sorry if it has already been said, trying to keep up with all posts but may have missed some.

What if the trail outside was not really a clean-up but rather the perp just using some type of chemical to destroy potential evidence that would lead back to him? Like bleach or something...

Also if only one person was injured and dragged the other person may have been used as a pawn to help drag. The perp would already come off as a huge threat if he won the violent struggle.

A couple of thoughts... Cardston, AB is the town where MKH was from and is buried. It is 262 km (193 mi) directly south of Airdrie. If someone (DG) wanted to procure a new identity, why would he choose one from a deceased person so close to home? I think it would be quite risky to do so. People, especially 2 decades ago before things were really booming in Alberta, all seem to be connected somehow to each other in that province. Kinda one big small town.

Also, according to the attached link, DG got his own SIN in 1980 when he was approx. 20 years old. He obtained a SIN in the name of MKH in 1993 and used it in Vancouver until being busted in the late '90s. Did he file Federal Income Tax in the time he was using the false identity? Was anyone in his family aware he was actively using a fake ID?

So many questions... so few answers.

http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/...2005/03/03/garland-v-m-n-r-2005-tcc-176.shtml

Actually, IMO I think it is quite brilliant and here is why:

-Because both were from Alberta it would be easy for DG to use his exising Alberta identy as a template to create the fake.
-It makes sense for DG to steal an identity from the area he was planning to flee as opposed to an area he may end up in the future
-MKH is a common Mormon name. There are probably hundreds throughout Canada and the US
-Because MKH was likely Mormon and I'm assuming that DG wasn't they were unlikely to run in the same circles and cross paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11