Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sign was still on the door, "Come on in", so perhaps they hadn't locked the doors? Or didn't arm the system for the night?

I don't get it but after 6 break-ins on my (very short) street last August and September I live like I'm Fort Knox, barricaded in, at all times, day or night.
Doesn’t help when your address is posted on Kijiji. People laugh at me because I always lock my doors.

Do you remember early on when an Airdre neighbour stated that there had been smoke coming from burning at DG's for 2 days after the abduction? I asked my dad about that and he said that it is not the right time of year for burning, especially considering all the hot, dry weather we have been having. Most farmers burn brush in the spring and would not burn garbage in the middle of a heat wave. Even if DG did dispose of those dear bodies that way, it is still really difficult to completely destroy bone. I wonder if LE discovered bone fragments with DNA on the property and that is why they have evidence that the 3 are dead without bodies.

I thought that as well however, they are still actively searching for bodies.

In the Tim Bosma case, they knew what had happened to him fairly quickly and there was no body just fragments and ash. DNA can be derived from that type of material.

I would think that LE would have DNA tested any remnants of a fire and if something had been there they would have known their fate. The fact that they are asking locals to check their properties STILL, makes me believe that they don't believe the Liknes' and Nathan succumbed in the same fashion as Tim Bosma.

I am curious if the L house is close to the Stampede grounds and if fireworks would be heard from that neighbourhood, that night.

Stampede starts first Friday in July, Canada Day is July 1. No fireworks on June 30

In the Tim Bosma case, they knew what had happened to him fairly quickly and there was no body just fragments and ash. DNA can be derived from that type of material.

I would think that LE would have DNA tested any remnants of a fire and if something had been there they would have known their fate. The fact that they are asking locals to check their properties STILL, makes me believe that they don't believe the Liknes' and Nathan succumbed in the same fashion as Tim Bosma.

That's true Tealgrove. Good point!

I don't believe that police could ask the hotel/motel to kick out DG in an attempt to follow him. This would be something along the lines of entrapment and not permissible.
Maybe he got put up in a hotel because they he technically could not pay the bill. Hmmm

Hadn't heard about the lights before, but I had wondered whether he was outside, waiting for JO to leave.

What I keep wondering about it that I find it strange that the neighbours didn't hear anything, or notice anything going on. The houses are so close together, it just seems strange. In our neighbourhood, the neighbours notice everything. One day, I cam home in a cab from work because I had caught a virus and was feeling unwell, and the neighbour who lives opposite called to ask whether everything was okay because she had noticed the taxi. Just odd that there could be bloodstains near the driveway, and no one noticed a thing.
The ruckus of the weekend estate sale is a perfect time to commit a crime. JMO

So very very sad. :(

Back when the farm was first being searched there was some talk about the cadaver dogs searching the area. I distinctly remember one of the reporters tweeting that a dog sat down in the middle of the field and the area was marked. Another web-sleuther pointed out that when a cadaver dog does this it is a BIG deal. I tried to search the thread for the post(s) but couldn't locate it. Does anyone have any insight on this and what the flags and markers could mean?

I was the person who posted that "if the dog's found alert is a sit/stay, then that dog found something". I also did say that it's entirely possible that a cadaver scent could have been placed there so the dog could/would find something. Sort of like a training exercise with the reward of finding what (s)he was supposed to find. These dogs need to find what they are trained to find and there are always training exercises to ensure the dog is being consistent with finds/alerts.
I've done some scent work with my dog and have friends who teach scent work.

I wondered if the perp entered and hid in the home during the estate sale. Some sidesplits have a crawl space. I guess we'll never know if DG's dna was found anywhere in the home though. imo

I'm guessing he didn't, as the green truck was seen multiple times driving by the house. I think he waited until he thought it was the 'right' opportunity. Perhaps once JO left in her vehicle? He probably thought AL and KL were alone by that time, never suspecting that Nathan was there. :(

I don't want to cause any confusion... but I thought that the property doing the burning soon after the family went missing was a "nearby" property that LE also searched for a day during the time they were searching DG's property. Of course, this is not to say that DG could not have accessed a nearby property that backed up to the Garland acreage.

Perhaps someone can confirm or deny with a link that uses specific language?

Oops... my 'quote' didn't work. I hope it is clear what I am responding to.

I agree they were murdered in the house, probably in their beds while they slept.

They never even had a chance to defend themselves. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then why risk dragging them to another location.
This is all so heart wrenching. :-(
Also i wonder if today's arrest is a strategy to get DG to talk. It's still possible there was an accomplice right? Surely they haven't that narrowed that down. My heart goes out to this poor family. I, like everyone else in here am taking this personal too :-(

I wonder if the CPS needs to outsource more resources to find the bodies. It is so sad, but as they say, if not found within 48 hours ...

Do you remember early on when an Airdre neighbour stated that there had been smoke coming from burning at DG's for 2 days after the abduction? I asked my dad about that and he said that it is not the right time of year for burning, especially considering all the hot, dry weather we have been having. Most farmers burn brush in the spring and would not burn garbage in the middle of a heat wave. Even if DG did dispose of those dear bodies that way, it is still really difficult to completely destroy bone. I wonder if LE discovered bone fragments with DNA on the property and that is why they have evidence that the 3 are dead without bodies.

Disregard... Fireworks... I am so drained I mixed my dates up.

But, if they are that close to the Stampede Grounds and there was a concert or event happening I am curious about the parking in that area on that night as well as the noise. Could explain neighbours not hearing anything.

Also, my sisters neighbour was brutally murdered in her home and my sister never heard a thing.

What they found was from the original crime scene, not blood but would confirm a death . . . . they are still looking for the bodies.

Ooops sorry double post!:blushing:

What they found was from the original crime scene, not blood but would confirm a death . . . . they are still looking for the bodies.

Other than the loss of blood, I can't think of anything else that would come from a human and indicate that someone was deceased.

What sort of fluid other than blood would "confirm" a death? I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmers_91