GUILTY Canada - Amanda Todd, 15, posts anti-bullying video apparently kills herself, 2012 *arrests*

SB, you are right. Unfortunately it is human nature to focus on issues as they are brought to our attention, otherwise, we stay in our cocoons.

I have to say that, like others, my attention is drawn to whatever is at the forefront of the news. While I am definitely not always a fan of the media, in cases like this it DOES draw attention. I am going to guess that whoever contacted the school board in London (Ontario) this week about a specific bullying situation there, would not have if the whole topic of bullying wasn't front and centre due to Amanda's case.

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/19/grade-10-girls-at-south-collegiate-were-charged-after-a-tip-to-the-schools-bullying-reporting-website

Physical fights, name calling -- stupid, fat, worthless, *advertiser censored* and *advertiser censored* among them -- and nasty posts on social networking sites came to a head last week, when the girl’s ordeal came to the attention of school officials through South’s anonymous online bullying reporting site, South Cares.

At the same time, people came forward to school staff to report what was going on, South principal Catherine Davidson said.

School officials called police, who investigated and eventually arrested the eight teens.

[video at link too]
BTW, this area of London is a low-crime, low-poverty area of a low-crime, low-poverty mid-size white-collar, well-educated city. It's also an area which attracts people who care about character over money, about community over impersonal-hide-behind-your-door neighbourhoods. Unfortunately, no community is immune. That's really the point. We all build up our 'expectations' of what we should be. [No, I don't live in this neighbourhood, I am just familiar about it.]

I am happy that that person stepped forward to make a complaint and those 8 students now have to answer for what they've done. I am also pleased that there was already a mechanism for complaints to be filed. Hopefully this will happen elsewhere and that, just like smoking, but even more important, it will become socially unacceptable to be a bully.

When my children were in high school I told them the story of when I was a 'bully by default'. There was a "nerd" in our class who wore 'geeky' clothes; who blurted out 'stupid' comments; who engaged in socially less-than-desirable behaviour. Clearly no one liked him. High school graduation came around, we had the ceremony and then headed out for our 'social' afterwards. As we arrived at the venue, we all dashed for seats at tables that wouldn't include this guy. He was a 'jerk', he was 'clueless', he was uncomfortable to be around when we were all trying to fit in. Within a few minutes of us arriving it became obvious how cruel we had been. A few of us noticed that he was sitting all alone at a table, crying. We had successfully cast him off. We rushed over to join him. We felt like the absolute heels that we were.

It was a life-changing experience, unfortunately it was several years too late. The poor fellow had had to endure all of those years through high school being ostracized, with no one standing up for him. No wonder he blurted out stupid stuff. Anything to get attention from those of us who ignored him, because he 'didn't fit in'.

Confession over and gladly given.

Rest in Peace Amanda, and strength to anyone who is being bullied; strength to anyone who hasn't spoken up about someone being bullied.

This broke my heart. I could not even watch her entire video because I was crying too hard. So young. So beautiful. So much to live for. I wish I knew how to change it because I'd give anything to do so. I don't think I will understand why people have to tear someone apart like that. What does it earn the bully? Why would someone WANT to out themselves as a cruel jerk?

I pray this sweet girl is at peace and that her family will see justice served.

Someone is on a youtube account using Amanda Todds name, talking about drinking bleach etc. Is anyone online here from BC ????

I'm in BC flip ... what do you have in mind?

I just connected this to another article I was reading and started a thread about here. I've been avoiding this thread because it's just so heartbreaking. So forgive me if this has been posted before.

http://www.vice.com/read/a-jailbait-loving-perv-destroyed-amanda-todds-life

A Jailbait Loving Perv Destroyed Amanda Todd's Life
By Patrick McGuire

UPDATE: We received a copy of the image that Anonymous New Jersey leaked through Pastebin that was previously inaccessible as a link hosted by Facebook. It's a mosaic of Google Maps screenshots from British Columbia, the personal information of Amanda's alleged harasser, and screenshots of accounts on jailbait websites that seem to link Kody Maxson to Amanda Todd. A copy of the image, with all personal details blurred, is available here.

In September of this year, a 15 year old girl named Amanda Todd from British Columbia posted a video onto Youtube wherein she detailed a terribly ****ed up story with Bob Dylan-esque cue cards, of how one internet pedophile had deliberately destroyed her happiness. You can get all of the painful details from the video, but basically she flashed a strange guy while she was in the seventh grade over webcam. That image got into the hands of a pedophile who tracked her through high school, then leaked the images to her friends and family, while continuing to stalk her online and heavily disrupt her life. Some of the Canadian mainstream media have described it as “bullying... through online social media” but clearly this pattern of controlling and destructive behavior is more than just a case of “no one likes you” wall posts and “you’re fat” instant messages....

This is about guys who blackmail young girls in order to get them to do sick stuff for them and their pedophile friends.

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188635"]The Disgusting Rivalries of Webcam Extortionists: Kody Maxson, Viper, and r0 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

It says this is internet related, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was physical contact between the men and victims too.

And from the above link italianWSfan provided:

Along with the condolences, there have been people using Amanda’s name to raise money for themselves and in the latest impersonation, someone is claiming to be the dead teen’s mother in a Twitter profile. Identifying the account as Carol Todd, tweeting as @CarolToddSB and using a photo that was printed the The Vancouver Sun of Amanda and her mother, the person running account is accepting messages of condolences.

I sent a tweet outing them on their own page, but either the account is frozen or the twit is able to moderate comments on their page.

WOW, just WOW ... "the more i see of people, the more i love my dog", eh?

I just connected this to another article I was reading and started a thread about here. I've been avoiding this thread because it's just so heartbreaking. So forgive me if this has been posted before.

By Patrick McGuire

UPDATE: We received a copy of the image that Anonymous New Jersey leaked through Pastebin that was previously inaccessible as a link hosted by Facebook. It's a mosaic of Google Maps screenshots from British Columbia, the personal information of Amanda's alleged harasser, and screenshots of accounts on jailbait websites that seem to link Kody Maxson to Amanda Todd. A copy of the image, with all personal details blurred, is available here.

In September of this year, a 15 year old girl named Amanda Todd from British Columbia posted a video onto Youtube wherein she detailed a terribly ****ed up story with Bob Dylan-esque cue cards, of how one internet pedophile had deliberately destroyed her happiness. You can get all of the painful details from the video, but basically she flashed a strange guy while she was in the seventh grade over webcam. That image got into the hands of a pedophile who tracked her through high school, then leaked the images to her friends and family, while continuing to stalk her online and heavily disrupt her life. Some of the Canadian mainstream media have described it as “bullying... through online social media” but clearly this pattern of controlling and destructive behavior is more than just a case of “no one likes you” wall posts and “you’re fat” instant messages....

So very sad all, Steely. I weeped openly when I saw the video. I just feel hopeless when I read stories like this.

I have not read the whole thread, (pardon me) but have followed most of the story. Has the monster been charged with anything as a result of this incident? I read he was charged due to something unrelated last week, but also regarding a minor.

I hope she can now rest in peace. To think, if someone could have just reached this poor baby and helped her. I am just at a loss.

I was bullied about ten (10) years or so ago online when I was naive, (not a situation as such at all, not sexual) but it was a nightmare. They got a hold of my address, I was followed and my brakes were tampered with. Back then, LE did nothing.

I hope we can reach other young people, or even those our age who feel alone, lost and desperate. In our fast paced world, where many do not have families, and just communicate via the internet, we need to reach out and support those we have come to know.

RIP sweet child
Amen

Goz

So very sad all, Steely. I weeped openly when I saw the video. I just feel hopeless when I read stories like this.

I have not read the whole thread, (pardon me) but have followed most of the story. Has the monster been charged with anything as a result of this incident? I read he was charged due to something unrelated last week, but also regarding a minor.

I hope she can now rest in peace. To think, if someone could have just reached this poor baby and helped her. I am just at a loss.

I was bullied about ten (10) years or so ago online when I was naive, (not a situation as such at all, not sexual) but it was a nightmare. They got a hold of my address, I was followed and my brakes were tampered with. Back then, LE did nothing.

I hope we can reach other young people, or even those our age who feel alone, lost and desperate. In our fast paced world, where many do not have families, and just communicate via the internet, we need to reach out and support those we have come to know.

RIP sweet child
Amen

Goz

If you don't mind answering, what happened to the guy.

Hey Steely

I will try to locate the article again. The story stated he was charged but
I can't remember for what. He did go to court though.
That is all I know. I was hoping someone knew more.

Will let you know what I find.

xox
Goz

Another bullicide case:

http://www.timescolonist.com/health...eed+share+bullying+history/7414634/story.html

Like Amanda, he changed schools to make a fresh start, but the problem was reportedly not communicated to his new schools.
<bbm>

So student ID numbers can get communicated, address changes, transcripts, etc ... but not social issues that a student is experiencing. It's 2012 for Pete's sake? It's a simple matter of a few clicks into a computer and a file that gets transmitted to the new school.

Isn't this just plain common sense?

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/Spike+high+risk+behaviour+after+teen+death/7437966/story.html

Spike in high-risk behaviour after teen's death

Showing Amanda Todd's video in school can trigger a potentially tragic response for vulnerable students ...

The Education Ministry also recently emailed a memo to school districts across B.C., urging them not to show Todd's video.

"The tragic loss of Amanda Todd has resulted in extensive media coverage. This is a traumatic event that is already contributing to an increase in suicidal ideation among some vulnerable students throughout the province and beyond," the memo states. "We are now in a critical period which is a predictable time frame for increased threat making or threat-related behaviour that will extend at least two weeks beyond when the media coverage lessens."

My heart breaks for this child, and has been since she passed. The hateful pages on FB are most gut-wrenching. While she's received more passion in death than in life, that is not how it should work.

As a mother of a teen, I just don't know what I would do. I'm such a helicopter mom, I try to think I know everything that is going on in my teens life -- but do I? DO WE?

Her parents seem loving, and tried to do what they could. Yet she couldn't fight it. I hope justice is brought to those who bullied her and they are made an example of. It's time to stop the war. It's time to build self-esteem, self-respect....and those of you with teens -- take the web cammies away. There's no need for that at this age.

Yes, I have one - but we only take it out when it's to talk to family across the pond. Skype is another alternative, but without the camera it's voice only.

We have to work SO hard to keep our children safe these days.

RIP dear one.

MOO

Mel

Just so folks know they can make a difference, yesterday one of our members contacted Crimestoppers wrt a youtube account that was mocking Amanda Todd.

Happy to report that as of today, the dude's youtube account has been "terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines and/or claims of copyright infringement"

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmandaToddd :seeya::seeya:

:rocker: :great:

By Patrick McGuire

I wonder if they are connected to any pedophile ring. Perhaps they may had contact with other pedophiles like Jerry Sandusky and/or Jimmy Savile. :no: :crazy:

Just so folks know they can make a difference, yesterday one of our members contacted Crimestoppers wrt a youtube account that was mocking Amanda Todd.

Happy to report that as of today, the dude's youtube account has been "terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines and/or claims of copyright infringement"

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmandaToddd :seeya::seeya:

:rocker: :great:

That is great! I think youtube is pretty responsive to complaints...

On the other hand, I've reported several facebook photos mocking Amanda (the ones with bleach bottles photshopped in along with nasty sayings). The reply back from facebook was simply "photo not removed".

I wonder if they are connected to any pedophile ring. Perhaps they may had contact with other pedophiles like Jerry Sandusky and/or Jimmy Savile. :no: :crazy:

When I had put the youtube mocker's "amandatodd" moniker into google, one site that came up with that spelling was nothing but a bunch of links to scurious sounding sites, some of which contained the word "jailbait". It was 4:00am-ish and I couldn't hold my head up any longer and went to bed. Now i can't remember where i found it.

(found it > the site, not my bed ;))

At least Sandusky will languish for a few in The Big House ... Saville got off the planet, never being held accountable.

The Education Ministry also recently emailed a memo to school districts across B.C., urging them not to show Todd's video.

I really don't see why they are stressing this....after her video hit YouTube, what teen didn't have a copy of this on their FB wall....it went viral very fast. Everyone has seen this. Showing it in school provides a chance for teens to talk about it and how bullying effects others, with the direction of a teacher.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back