GUILTY Canada - Amanda Todd, 15, posts anti-bullying video apparently kills herself, 2012 *arrests*

Yeah, I wondered. So within 30 seconds of digging, I found out why.

Anonymous appears to have got it wrong.

While the idea of faceless masses of vigilantes achieving what the police etc cannot is truly appealing (and I have personally cheered a couple of their campaigns on), it should be remembered that Anonymous "is legion" -- ie, comprised of a really large and eclectic bunch of people on the internet, the majority of whom do not actually know each other from soap.

And just as it is in any crowd made of loosely connected hordes of people, some are a whole lot smarter than others.

This said, outing a predator isn't a bad thing to do. If he really is one. They got that bit right, anyway.
I’m a few years late to the “party” but since the Dutch dude has been getting some CBC press lately (not much - I read the first article today and his trial started at the beg of June) I thought I would come here and read the thread. I didn’t follow the Amanda Todd story at the time - I did see her video and knew she had been tormented online and subsequently committed suicide. I was horrified. But thought that was the end of the story. I’m now really interested to see how “they got it wrong” bc that will most likely be part of AC’a defense.

And I hope the posters blaming Amanda’s ability to access the internet instead of the perpetrator’s actions as the cause of this give their heads a huge bleeping shake. That’s like blaming a woman for being raped bc she wore a short skirt. The blame falls solely on the person manipulating and victimizing a CHILD.

Interesting to note that 2 Dutch men are arrested. This looks like more predatory than bullying. Then again predators are bullies. Kinda like Jerry Sandusky or Ghislaine Maxwell. Lori Drew and Jennifer Petkov are grudge hoarders.
Who was the second man? These old links to news stories don’t work anymore. Was someone besides AC ever arrested/considered a suspect?

I can’t believe how little press this is getting. I found AC’s “open letter” on the internet kind of claiming his innocence. Found it interesting that he never said he didn’t do it, just how some of the evidence didn’t line up. Not sure if that’s a link I can post (I’m thinking no since it’s not a proper Canadian news agency).

So much is under a publication ban, but I did read that he will be sent back to the Netherlands after this trial and any time he is sentenced to will be added to his previous sentence.

I hope Amanda gets some justice.

And I hope the posters blaming Amanda’s ability to access the internet instead of the perpetrator’s actions as the cause of this give their heads a huge bleeping shake. That’s like blaming a woman for being raped bc she wore a short skirt. The blame falls solely on the person manipulating and victimizing a CHILD.
IMO anyone who blames Amanda for continuing to access the internet is out of touch with the significance of online communication for youths in today’s world. Often it’s their only social connection and especially so when changing schools is involved. Without a FB identity a teen hardly exists.

You’re exactly right, the blame lies solely on the cruel and despicable perpetrator. JMO

I can’t believe how little press this is getting. I found AC’s “open letter” on the internet kind of claiming his innocence. Found it interesting that he never said he didn’t do it, just how some of the evidence didn’t line up. Not sure if that’s a link I can post (I’m thinking no since it’s not a proper Canadian news agency).

So much is under a publication ban, but I did read that he will be sent back to the Netherlands after this trial and any time he is sentenced to will be added to his previous sentence.

I hope Amanda gets some justice.

Yes the trial isn’t getting much reporting beyond Vancouver area and a lot of it’s under a publication ban. But maybe that’s partly because after Amanda’s suicide her mom did an excellent job of speaking out so much of the horrid torment that Amanda was subject to has already been widely reported on. I recall seeing Amanda’s flash card video, broke my heart.

Yes, he will return to a Netherlands prison once this trial is complete. In 2017 he was sentenced to 10 years and 8 months for online abuse and blackmail of 34 other underage girls from around the world. If he’s convicted of his sextortion charges here I recall reading his additional sentence is expected to be about 13 years, not nearly long enough IMO.

“He was serving a sentence for unrelated cyberbullying convictions in The Netherlands at the time of his extradition.

A spokesperson for the federal Department of Justice said that once Coban's Canadian trial has concluded, he will return home to complete his sentence. If he is convicted of the Canadian charges, that sentence will also be served in the Netherlands.”

On Tuesday, Sgt. Keith Hack testified he found some of the same online names that sent messages to the teen and her family on devices seized after the arrest of the accused, Aydin Coban.

Hack testified about a Skype chat from 2009 involving the account “cutiielover,” which the Crown previously said was Todd’s.

In a message to another user named “redwrench,” “cutiielover” says: “and now he found my Skype and look,” followed by what Hack said was a copied and pasted Skype message that included the username “marzattack1.”

More at link:

British Columbia teenager Amanda Todd feared that the person who was harassing and extorting her would continue for the rest of her life, and there was nothing she could do to stop it, a Crown attorney told B.C. Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Kristen LeNoble showed the court a Facebook post that Todd wrote shortly after the harasser had shared sexualized images of her, saying, "I feel so sad, I feel so sick.''

This case makes me so heartbroken for Amanda that it’s hard for me to follow along too intently. But I can appreciate how a 15 year old who had already been sextorted for 2 or 3 years would begin to think it was never going to stop. At that age the present is forever. The cruelty, the depravity on the part of her perpetrator on noticing her anguish and not stopping is beyond pure evil IMO.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...ensored*-site-that-depicted-amanda-todd-crown

CP24 Toronto's Breaking News: Dutch man accused in Amanda Todd harassment case found guilty on all charges.

What an injustice! If he is not given additional time he could be out in 2025 and the Canadian trial all a big waste of time for nothing.

From your link -
“Coban was sentenced to nearly 11 years in 2014 for crimes involving more than 30 youth, before he was extradited to Canada in 2017 to face charges in relation to Amanda, including extortion, harassment and distribution of child *advertiser censored*….

….But a continued sentence “may never exceed the maximum sentence for the relevant crime in the Netherlands,” the document says.

Todd said the Dutch reporter spoke with lawyers who indicated Dutch law also stipulates when someone is convicted and sentenced, then found guilty of the same kind of offence in the same time period, the existing punishment applies….”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulob419
Back