CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken, the cemetery is the Stenabaugh Cemetery. The graves are as old as the 1840s up through recent times:

http://www.interment.net/data/canada/ontario/wentworth/ancast/stenabaugh/stenabaugh.htm

I hope that LE carefully checked the gravesite of a baby girl who died on December 27, 1967. Surely, the cemetery will get a close inspection.

The closest I came to finding the baby girl you mention, was one with the initials A and D, born December 28 as opposed to Dec 27.
Is that the right one and if so, what do you think is the connection to A.G ?

There's so many things about Ms. Gleave which seem to be a dichotomy. She was said to be giving but didn't invite people in her home. She had great computer skills but was worried about someone learning her email address. She dressed (from the photos I've seen) quite conservatively but is also described as wearing more "flashy" clothes. She golfed but had cut ties with her club. She liked to go to Costco--a store normally known for bulk items (and yet she lived alone). She had two adored shepherds but didn't seem to socialize them. She had a tight routine of meeting friends and celebrated holidays at other people's homes but didn't reciprocate. She drove a number of snazzy sports cars but didn't seem to want to draw attention to herself.

She was a curious and intriguing woman, that's for sure. I have to wonder what might have been inside her home that she didn't want friends to see. Did she have valuables which she wanted to protect? Was she a hoarder? Was she simply protective of her private space? For what purpose did she use her computer?

I simply do not understand how the police can know, with certainty, that she was killed by a stranger.

dotr--I think you found the same child. She was born on Dec. 28, 1965 but died on Dec. 27, 1967. That date, Dec. 27th, is the last reported sighting of Ms. Gleave. We've had threads before about grave robberies, especially of children on or about their birth or death dates. I don't know what sort of group would be doing this but I merely wondered if Ms. Gleave could have surprised someone walking away from the cemetery in the middle of that night when the neighbors' dogs barked.

FWIW, a number of groups and followings have ritual gatherings at cemeteries on the days around Christmas. I'm not promoting this theory, at all, just mentioning it. I find it interesting that the police have released little information about the cemetery with abutted Ms. Gleave's property. I would think that would be a concern as people are in and out of cemeteries at all hours of the night and day.

Obituary for Audrey Gleave
GLEAVE, Audrey - Suddenly at her home on Thursday, December 30th, 2010 in her 74th year. She will be fondly remembered by her good friends Lynne Vanstone, Phil Kinsmen, and her Wednesday morning coffee group. Cremation has taken place. Arrangements have been entrusted to the Beckett-Glaves Family Funeral Centre, (519) 752-4331. Donations to the S.P.C.A. would be appreciated. A tree will be planted in memory of Audrey in the Beckett-Glaves Memorial Forest

Although she was a beloved science teacher, Ms. Gleave was also extremely private, leaving her home only to get groceries and spend Sunday mornings with Ms. Vanstone, along with Wednesday morning coffee with a group of retired teachers, Ms. Vanstone said.

"She was just the kindest person, gentle, but extremely eccentric and reclusive," Ms. Vanstone said. "No one person really knew everything about her. She wouldn't even tell me the names of her friends. She had no relatives. She was a mystery."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/ca...urdered+home/4054795/story.html#ixzz1A4jxlObR

Although she was a beloved science teacher, Ms. Gleave was also extremely private, leaving her home only to get groceries and spend Sunday mornings with Ms. Vanstone, along with Wednesday morning coffee with a group of retired teachers, Ms. Vanstone said.

"She was just the kindest person, gentle, but extremely eccentric and reclusive," Ms. Vanstone said. "No one person really knew everything about her. She wouldn't even tell me the names of her friends. She had no relatives. She was a mystery."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/ca...urdered+home/4054795/story.html#ixzz1A4jxlObR

The descriptions of Ms Gleave remind me of someone I knew at one time... coincidentally, also a retired school teacher. She had devoted her life to teaching, put in long hours of prep and was very involved with the students & staff... so her social life really existed entirely outside her home. She did not have much interest in housekeeping or cooking, thus never entertained... she was far more interested in reading, writing (she kept extensive personal diaries, wrote some poetry, etc. but all for her own satisfaction, not for sharing) and other solitary pursuits. So, her house was very cluttered - stuffed full of all her favourite things - and I never knew her to entertain at all. However, she was clever, witty and very engaging, which made her a much sought-after guest. She had a wonderful sense of humour. However, I would guess that not many people really knew her very well - she kept her personal business very private.

Had Audrey had any work done on her property recently? Did she have anyone who would come to help her mow and do general odd jobs around her house? It sounds like the perp was somewhat familiar with Audrey and her routine. He knew she lived alone. In regards to the dogs being described by some people as 'mean' or 'intimidating' - some people find any large dog intimidating and dogs, especially intelligent breeds like German Shephards can pick up on a person's fear of them and their natural instinct (being pack animals) is to want to dominate that person and establish their place in the hierarchy. But I digress - I wonder if the dogs were put away when the perp was there because even if tehy did know him, it is hard to believe they would sit by calmly while their owner was being sexually assaulted and murdered, and before the perp left he let the dogs back out.

I will not be surprised to find out the killer is someone who helped Audrey around the house or someone who had come out to do some work - painting, carpentry, tree-trimming, etc. A laborer can tell a lot about someone's lifestyle. My mother had some work done on her house a few years ago and at the time she lived alone. Two days into the job being done, that night while she was upstairs in bed reading she heard a window downstairs being opened and someone climbing into the house. She was extremely lucky because something scared the guy off and he jumped back out and she heard him run under her bedroom window. She is certain it was one of the workers. There was one in particular who had been flirting with her, etc, and he knew she lived alone. A single female should always leave some mens shoes out or something so the people will think there is a man in the house.

Had Audrey had any work done on her property recently? Did she have anyone who would come to help her mow and do general odd jobs around her house? It sounds like the perp was somewhat familiar with Audrey and her routine. He knew she lived alone. In regards to the dogs being described by some people as 'mean' or 'intimidating' - some people find any large dog intimidating and dogs, especially intelligent breeds like German Shephards can pick up on a person's fear of them and their natural instinct (being pack animals) is to want to dominate that person and establish their place in the hierarchy. But I digress - I wonder if the dogs were put away when the perp was there because even if tehy did know him, it is hard to believe they would sit by calmly while their owner was being sexually assaulted and murdered, and before the perp left he let the dogs back out.

I will not be surprised to find out the killer is someone who helped Audrey around the house or someone who had come out to do some work - painting, carpentry, tree-trimming, etc. A laborer can tell a lot about someone's lifestyle. My mother had some work done on her house a few years ago and at the time she lived alone. Two days into the job being done, that night while she was upstairs in bed reading she heard a window downstairs being opened and someone climbing into the house. She was extremely lucky because something scared the guy off and he jumped back out and she heard him run under her bedroom window. She is certain it was one of the workers. There was one in particular who had been flirting with her, etc, and he knew she lived alone. A single female should always leave some mens shoes out or something so the people will think there is a man in the house.

From Hazel's Toronto Sun link (above):

Neighbours suspect it could be a young man who often helped Gleave with odd jobs around her house.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/01/02/16733986.html

Have we heard any more about this fellow?

I took this to be a reference to the fellow who discovered her body... who, according to reports, has been ruled out as a suspect.

'The handyman who discovered Audrey at 11 a.m. Dec. 30 has been “ruled out as a suspect,” says Hrab.'

It was a bit ambiguous in the Sun article as to who discovered the body, and if the "young man who often helped Gleave" was the actual handyman referred to:

Neighbours suspect it could be a young man who often helped Gleave with odd jobs around her house.

"The friend found Audrey in the house, obviously dead, obviously the victim of a very horrific, vicious assault," Hrab said.

Thanks for the info. Probably just poor editing on the Sun's part.

I honestly can't recall anyone who kept up a regular coffee date, belonged to a country club, went to Costco, celebrated holidays at friends' homes and taught for decades as being described by absolutely everyone as extremely eccentric, very unique, exceptionally private. Typically people who are described this way, don't maintain any friendships or reach out with such care and concern to students. As I said before, her personality is a real dichotomy.

I'm interested in just who this woman was, how her mother came to disappear and what was inside the house. Did any of her own choices put her in harm's way? If this was a 73 year old eccentric man who had been murdered, we'd all be wondering about a prostitute, wouldn't we? Well?

I'm trying to be as respectful to her memory as possible while considering all the possibilities.

Well in order for this young man to have found her, I would think that he did have a key and access to the house so at least someone would have been able to assist police on that aspect of the investigation.

Perhaps it was also him who knew what was missing from the home? :waitasec:

I honestly can't recall anyone who kept up a regular coffee date, belonged to a country club, went to Costco, celebrated holidays at friends' homes and taught for decades as being described by absolutely everyone as extremely eccentric, very unique, exceptionally private. Typically people who are described this way, don't maintain any friendships or reach out with such care and concern to students. As I said before, her personality is a real dichotomy.

I'm interested in just who this woman was, how her mother came to disappear and what was inside the house. Did any of her own choices put her in harm's way? If this was a 73 year old eccentric man who had been murdered, we'd all be wondering about a prostitute, wouldn't we? Well?

I'm trying to be as respectful to her memory as possible while considering all the possibilities.

As I posted above, I have known at least one person very similar to this personality. I think Ms Gleave may have just been a person who loved teaching, and made it her life... sounds like she was very intelligent, so like my friend, she may very well have spent lots of time reading, learning, contemplating on her own. My friend was also very eccentric, very unique, very private. But a lovely person, with a charming personality and lots of interesting things to talk about when she chose to be out with people - she just also was very comfortable with her own company. She had many friends and was highly respected... but she lived a bit of an 'off beat' life in terms of it not being like most other women's lives. Like Ms. Gleaves, she had a 'colorful' side to her... kind of flamboyant in some ways, even. I can see that personality developing as a result of being a woman dedicated to her career and who chose not to have a family, long before it was common for women to make those choices.

I rather wish I'd known her!

Is the pet name, "Mama", commonly used in Canada for science teachers? I live in a town where the teachers are about as engaged and warm and fuzzy as it gets but I've NEVER heard one, especially a high school teacher, referred to as "Mama" or "Mom". We use first names for teachers in our schools but never pet names.

I am so sorry for this man's loss. He clearly adored Ms. Gleave. But what a puzzle she was.

If it was an "eccentric" man,I suppose I would consider that perhaps he had a secret life that possibly included heavy drinking,drugs,a gay lifestyle or a very young/inappropriate girlfriend or married lover.I might think that they had someone (a family member?)that for one reason or another, was staying there covertly.

ITA, dotr. I've actually wondered if the mother might still be secretly alive and hidden for some strange reason. It's certainly possible as she'd be in her 90s. I've wondered about the possibility of male prostitutes visiting the house or a live-in lover that Ms. Gleave wanted no one to learn about. I've also considered that she might have had some secret position with the government, given her age and the fact her parents came from Eastern Europe. It's interesting that the obituary mentions nothing about her place of birth or her parents.

I don't think I've seen the following statement. If it's been posted, forgive me.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...community-shocked-by-retired-teacher-s-murder

“There was a sexual component to this attack. At the moment we believe it has been committed by a stranger or strangers. She suffered a number of stab wounds in addition to other injuries.”

So more than one murderer, perhaps?

I think that probably her laptop or computer was missing, maybe there was an obvious spot with a printer left.

I think the woman just liked her privacy in her home. There is nothing mysterious about this. I highly doubt she had male prostitutes or a secret lover.

Actually,looking at this photo,A.G. looks like a very sweet and pleasant lady, the type who might be inclined to offer a kindness to someone and have it go terribly wrong.
I wonder if A.G being sick , played any role in her murder, ie maybe she offered to pay someone to go to the pharmacy for her ?
http://brantfordexpositor.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2913418
Gleave left the club a few years ago but the pair remained friends, visiting once or twice a week. Gleave attended a lot of the Vanstone family gatherings, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

Vanstone said she last saw Gleave Dec. 27.

"She was here Boxing Day but was feeling under-the-weather," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
|lighthouse|