Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. While “a foreign county surrendering evidence” sounds quite mysterious, even common online platforms including FB, Twitter, or Google are owned by a company in “a foreign country” therefore warrants to obtain potential evidence must be submitted and granted through US courts.

My understanding is the process is very complex and lengthy and so I hope this is good news.

The Shermans also owned property in Florida. It’s quite possible the international search warrant doesn’t mean a breakthrough in the investigation.

The Shermans also owned property in Florida. It’s quite possible the international search warrant doesn’t mean a breakthrough in the investigation.

I believe in the early days LE indicated or certainly intimated that they had attended at the Florida property, or perhaps had local Florida police attend there.
I think that this latest information request could be as simple as confirmation of travel into/out of the USA by BS, HS, or others. But I am hopeful that it maybe is more consequential than that.

I believe in the early days LE indicated or certainly intimated that they had attended at the Florida property, or perhaps had local Florida police attend there.
I think that this latest information request could be as simple as confirmation of travel into/out of the USA by BS, HS, or others. But I am hopeful that it maybe is more consequential than that.

I assume that the estate would have permitted a search of the property, but the warrant could relate to travel or ownership. At this late date it’s hard to imagine a search uncovering a bombshell.

New developements in Sherman investigation
''The Star is reporting search warrants have been executed, and information gathered from a foreign country.

NEWSTALK 1010's crime expert, and former homicide detective, Mark Mendelson says this doesn't mean there's a "smoking gun," but says it's all part of the investigation.

He says the information from the foreign country could be electronic data or banking information.

It shows that police are trying to corroborate evidence they've received from conversations or earlier investigations, to "beef up their case."

Jan. 2018
Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman ruled a 'targeted' double homicide
''A property the couple owned in Florida was also searched.
Det. Sgt. Gomes would not comment on what police found in the home, or whether they believe any valuables were taken.''
Estate of Barry and Honey Sherman part of Toronto police murder probe, detective tells court - WWWHive
''Yim told court that the Toronto homicide squad had not only searched the Shermans’ Toronto home, but also their (now sold) condominium in Florida.''

New developements in Sherman investigation
''The Star is reporting search warrants have been executed, and information gathered from a foreign country.

NEWSTALK 1010's crime expert, and former homicide detective, Mark Mendelson says this doesn't mean there's a "smoking gun," but says it's all part of the investigation.

He says the information from the foreign country could be electronic data or banking information.

It shows that police are trying to corroborate evidence they've received from conversations or earlier investigations, to "beef up their case."

Very interesting. When I hear "information gathered from a foreign country" I immediately think offshore banking account. JMO

"The foreign country is not identified in the Yim affidavit. It is one of 35 countries that have a special treaty with Canada — Israel, the United States, Italy, Austria and Mexico are examples." I believe there is some significance that Kevin Donavan mentioned Israel first, when giving examples of of treaty countries.
Israel has been mentioned by some as the source country of the Sherman assailants. Other interesting Israeli connections also have been discussed on this forum. Of course the Sherman family has had strong philanthropic ties to Israel.

Interesting. While “a foreign county surrendering evidence” sounds quite mysterious, even common online platforms including FB, Twitter, or Google are owned by a company in “a foreign country” therefore warrants to obtain potential evidence must be submitted and granted through US courts.

My understanding is the process is very complex and lengthy and so I hope this is good news.

I take your point, but I really hope at this point, 3 years in, they're not just undertaking basic steps like getting access to the Shermans and other POIs social media accounts. It's not that lengthy. 3 months, maybe 6 months, but not 3 years lengthy.

I waver back and forth on whether there will ever be an arrest in this case. More towards yes than no, on most days, but certainly don't expect it anytime soon.

..rbbm. imo, speculation.
So, were the Shermans more likely to have been murdered because they did not provide funds to a disgruntled person or entity, or because they already gave, or were planning to give away big bucks to another person/entity?

By murdering BS, have they not essentially killed '' The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs"?

The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs - Wikipedia
''The tale has given rise to the idiom 'killing the goose that lays the golden eggs', which refers to the short-sighted destruction of a valuable resource, or to an unprofitable action motivated by greed''.

Full article for anyone who could not access it..
Sherman murder detectives obtain evidence from outside Canada, police say
''Throughout the process, the Star has learned key information about the case, including that police eventually developed a theory of what happened and are trying to prove it, and that the estate of Barry and Honey — where their billions are going and not going — is “embedded” in the homicide investigation.''

So, were the Shermans more likely to have been murdered because they did not provide funds to a disgruntled person or entity, or because they already gave, or were planning to give away big bucks to another person/entity?

By murdering BS, have they not essentially killed '' The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs"?

''The tale has given rise to the idiom 'killing the goose that lays the golden eggs', which refers to the short-sighted destruction of a valuable resource, or to an unprofitable action motivated by greed''.

''Throughout the process, the Star has learned key information about the case, including that police eventually developed a theory of what happened and are trying to prove it, and that the estate of Barry and Honey — where their billions are going and not going — is “embedded” in the homicide investigation.''

Dear @dotr,

I highlighted the question you posed in your post above.

No doubt the answer to your critical question would point towards the direction of the murderer. As F.B.I. agents are known to say, "Once we know why, then the path will lead to who."

Thank you so much for the article. Greatly appreciated!

Time goes on but there will always be a possibility of this case being solved, in my opinion.

Very interesting. When I hear "information gathered from a foreign country" I immediately think offshore banking account. JMO

Dear @Number8,

Thank you for your insightful post which got me to thinking.

I'm sure it's crossed your mind (maybe your thoughts behind your post) that someone familiar with the Shermans and/or the company may have sent payment money for the murders to, as you say, "an offshore banking account".

This "information gathered from a foreign country" has me feeling hopeful.

These are only my thoughts and opinions. I hope that this case is solved soon, especially for the sake of those who loved the Shermans.

"...Follow the money my friend. Follow the money..."

"The foreign country is not identified in the Yim affidavit. It is one of 35 countries that have a special treaty with Canada — Israel, the United States, Italy, Austria and Mexico are examples." I believe there is some significance that Kevin Donavan mentioned Israel first, when giving examples of of treaty countries.
Israel has been mentioned by some as the source country of the Sherman assailants. Other interesting Israeli connections also have been discussed on this forum. Of course the Sherman family has had strong philanthropic ties to Israel.

And youngest daughter KS moved there sometime after the murders.

Remember Detective Yim told Donovan that he feared that by releasing information about the warrants, the killer(s) might then destroy evidence.

We debated here what the killer(s) might hold onto if it incriminated them.

1 hour ago..
‘Someone has killed my clients’: Newly released documents detail the day Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead, and what police did after

''Justice Leslie Pringle of the Ontario Court of Justice has released redacted versions of the first four of 12 search warrant and production order applications in the Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation. This story is drawn from police and civilian witness statements contained in these applications. The Star has been fighting the sealing order for almost three years.''

I take your point, but I really hope at this point, 3 years in, they're not just undertaking basic steps like getting access to the Shermans and other POIs social media accounts. It's not that lengthy. 3 months, maybe 6 months, but not 3 years lengthy.

I waver back and forth on whether there will ever be an arrest in this case. More towards yes than no, on most days, but certainly don't expect it anytime soon.

I agree, by now I’d think anything that might open up a lead as to who murdered the Shermans would’ve been subpoenaed early on. Therefore I think it’s most likely the “information gathered from a foreign country” is related to the investigation of a potential suspect.

JMO

Also from paylocked Star (only my interpretation of it) - since KD is attempting to gain access to Sherman sealed police files, each time it goes to court TPS(Yim) files an affidavit as to why the files shouldn’t be released.

The affidavit is the source of “information from a foreign country” - but TPS does not reveal the foreign country on that document, neither is KD claiming he knows which one. It was received May, 2020. Also recorded on the same affidavit, 2 production orders and 1 search warrant were served in Canada between Sept 4th and Oct 9th, 2020. As a result of these filings, new evidence has resulted and that’s a good thing IMO as KD goes on to write - as recorded in the affidavit, the intent was to corroborate existing evidence, witness statements and video surveillance.

Seems to me the investigation is indeed progressing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member