Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Toronto Star Jan 26

Toronto homicide detectives have confirmed Barry and Honey Sherman were targeted and killed six weeks ago, strangled, then held upright by leather belts looped around the smooth stainless steel railing of their home’s indoor pool.

Thank you. I've read the newspaper summaries. I was going by what Det-Sgt Gomes said at the press conference. She said they had "sufficient evidence to describe it as a double homicide investigation and that both Honey and Barry were in fact targeted." I'm aware of what she said.

*********And, I am sorry if this offends anyone, it is not meant to. *******

But, when anyone retires they are often under the feet of the person who is at home. The person at home, is used to going about their day and the retiree, is often following them around like a puppy, with a 'what are we going to do now?" look on their face. THAT can be exasperating.

*******As I said, not trying to offend anyone. BUT its true.******

He was not at home, though, He was at the office for hours on end

Although BS retired, he continued to work at Apotex.

"Sherman had stepped down as CEO in 2012, but continued to work long hours at the company he founded...".

http://business.financialpost.com/n...-apotex-resigns-to-pursue-other-opportunities
This, and I also don't think the HS was a housewife waiting around for him. She worked just as frequently in philanthropy, sitting on multiple boards, supporting organizations, participating in fundraising. I think this couple was just fine in their dynamics, imo.

I don't think they declared it to be a double homicide. I believe Det-Sgt Gomes said that they had "sufficient evidence to describe it as a double homicide investigation".
Which means the same thing, imo. Manner of death upgraded from suspicious, to homicide.

Which means the same thing, imo. Manner of death upgraded from suspicious, to homicide.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that police said that they think it's a double homicide. That's what I think too. But police haven't declared it definitely was, and I don't think it's ludicrous or wrong for some posters to articulate that murder-suicide is still plausible.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that police said that they think it's a double homicide. That's what I think too. But police haven't declared it definitely was, and I don't think it's ludicrous or wrong for some posters to articulate that murder-suicide is still plausible.

But they declared that BS and HS were targetted and it is a double homicide. Not sure what more LE has to say to close the murder suicide concerns. The evidence that we know also points to Double homicide. All the murder suicide theories so far negates some of the known evidence (jackets bound, death by neck compression, BS and HS coming home at different times, no reports of maritial discord). It is ok to put out theories but it is important to remember all the known facts so far.

Regardless if it was MS or MM it is a sad sad end to two very admirable people.One who was born in a holocaust survivor camp and another who built a drug empire.These deaths have somehow touched me deeply and I feel compassion for all concerned.

It seems like it was planned in that whatever bound the wrists was not found. So the material was brought to the house. Zip ties?

I do wonder about the belts. I am sure it would be figured Barry had lots of belts. Maybe because belts are smoothe and DNA materials would be less likely to be found compared to rope which could,collect skin particles or falling hair.

But they declared that BS and HS were targetted and it is a double homicide. Not sure what more LE has to say to close the murder suicide concerns. The evidence that we know also points to Double homicide. All the murder suicide theories so far negates some of the known evidence (jackets bound, death by neck compression, BS and HS coming home at different times, no reports of maritial discord). It is ok to put out theories but it is important to remember all the known facts so far.

I don't think it was murder-suicide and I completely agree that it's important to discuss facts.

Do we know if BS and HS's cell phones were recovered?

Isnt she paid to devote hours to examining and reviewing evidence in order to solve crimes? Is this unusual in TPS homicide investigations?

I don't know. I may have used a poor example. She strikes me as being very dedicated to this case. It's just my impression.

Maybe it is a Canadian way to express it. But it seems weird. Bulk items? Packaged items? LE puts items into bulk and packages them as well?
Wondering if " bulky " includes items such as clothing from closets if the belts used were there, bedding if B or HS had been asleep in bed, and towels in case the perp/s used them?
speculation.

Isnt she paid to devote hours to examining and reviewing evidence in order to solve crimes? Is this unusual in TPS homicide investigations?

Is your point that all detectives are exactly the same quality because they are all paid to look at evidence?

Probably more easily than I could, but the difference in statistics is significant. 69% of homicides in the US are by gun (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm) while in Canada it is 36%(http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/legal01-eng.htm). So evidently it is possible, but to say that it can't be a planned murder because they would have used a gun is not really an inference that can be drawn in Canada.

I would think the percentage of gun-related killings would be higher for contract killings than for other types of killings. I think that would apply in both the U.S and Canada. That is my gut feeling but don't know for sure.

“Toronto police are now certain of the what and the how: Barry and Honey Sherman were indeed murdered, strangled to death in a “targeted” attack. Who wanted them gone—and why—is the mystery that remains.”

http://www.macleans.ca/news/barry-a...slowing-the-cops-down-at-apotex-headquarters/

Sorry if this has been previously posted. A very interesting article. Boy oh boy, TPS certainly have mountains to climb. The complexities involved in investigating this tragic case appear to be infinite. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably more easily than I could, but the difference in statistics is significant. 69% of homicides in the US are by gun (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm) while in Canada it is 36%(http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/legal01-eng.htm). So evidently it is possible, but to say that it can't be a planned murder because they would have used a gun is not really an inference that can be drawn in Canada.
It's not really an inference that can be drawn anywhere, imo. A planned murder does not equate to gun use.

It's not really an inference that can be drawn anywhere, imo. A planned murder does not equate to gun use.

I think this stems from my post when I said that based on the method (strangulation) I didn't think this was a contract killing. I said that if it was a contract killing I think they would likely have used a gun with a silencer. I wasn't talking about advance planning, I was talking about the smaller subset of killings -- those done by contract killers/hit men. Several posters disagreed with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member