CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW..
''While homicide rates in Toronto were relatively low for several years, they started to increase in 2016 until Toronto experienced the highest homicide rate among major Canadian cities in 2018;[14] in that single year, the city surpassed the homicide rate of New York City.[4] Homicide rates declined again in 2019; when compared across major metropolitan areas, the Greater Toronto Area ranked ninth in Canada with a homicide rate of 2.26 per 100,000.[15]''

''Today, the multicultural face of Toronto is well reflected in the city's underworld, which includes everything from Jamaican posses to Eastern European bratvas to American biker gangs. The genesis of many foreign criminal organizations in Toronto has often been linked to the drug trade, as with the large influx of heroin and various Asian triads during the 1970s,[131] or cocaine and South American cartels in the 1980s.[132] These criminal groups, however, occasionally have a political bent as well, as with the Tamil organized crime groups such as the VVT and rival AK Kannan gangs, which warred with each other in the city's streets during the 1990s and early 2000s over the brown heroin trade.[133] In recent decades, Toronto has also seen an infiltration of major American street gangs such as the Bloods, Crips, and Mara Salvatrucha.''

Too late to edit this post, sorry- had not meant to include a link to a different murder beside HS's name on the above wiki list, but now that it is done, intrigued by the date of this man's murder & vaguely recall it referenced somehow with this case.
Probably unrelated but one never knows, 3 targeted murders within day/s?.. started a thread, fwiw, imo, speculation etc.

i looked up torento more known cold cases ..and the lists i found didnt include this murder
id lean towards not beileving that this is such the big case like ppl have been telling me
even the doc went unnoticed
The doc didn't go unnoticed but it's on a channel that you pay extra for. This is also not considered a cold case by the cops as they are still actively getting information. If that goes nowhere, maybe then they will seem it a cold case.

I don't know where you live but it's definitely a big case here in Toronto. It's also almost 6 years old so there isn't as much focus on it as there was in the first year or two.

The doc didn't go unnoticed but it's on a channel that you pay extra for. This is also not considered a cold case by the cops as they are still actively getting information. If that goes nowhere, maybe then they will seem it a cold case.

I don't know where you live but it's definitely a big case here in Toronto. It's also almost 6 years old so there isn't as much focus on it as there was in the first year or two.
even if its on this channel thats hard to access..still the media reaction had been pretty mild
not much discussion except here ..and youtube ?
I was talking about the average true crime follower..and if they would recognize the case
my uncle lives in torento.. a while ago ..I asked him about the case , and he said he is only aware of it but not of any details

even if its on this channel thats hard to access..still the media reaction had been pretty mild
I was talking about the average true crime follower..and if they would recognize the case
my uncle lives in torento.. a while ago ..I asked him about the case , and he said he is only aware of it but not of any details
It's Toronto, and again, it's 5 and a half years and counting since it happened. We, in here are invested in this as is KD. When this first happened, long before I came here, it was a huge deal.

This case is very big in Ontario, not sure about other provinces. Also, almost every true crime YTer and podcaster has done a show on this case. Internationally it has been mentioned in just about every country that I can think of. It has been relatively quiet in the last year or so, but it is almost 6 years ago that it happened. When crimes go unsolved for years I have noticed the "buzz" around a case does seem to fade away until a break in the case happens. Or it turns cold and then you hear nothing at all. KD said he is going back to court this fall and I am certain there will be another article printed about what he finds out. JMO

i looked up torento more known cold cases ..and the lists i found didnt include this murder
id lean towards not beileving that this is such the big case like ppl have been telling me
even the doc went unnoticed
Everyone i know has watched the Doc. My neighbour had friends visiting from Los Angeles last week. They were staying at a hotel, when they met for dinner they told her that they had binge watched it the night before and had a million questions. I'm not sure you are aware, this is not a clod case.

I have family all over the world and the day they were found it was covered all over the world. I received calls, emails and texts from far and wide.

The case continues to generate a lot of interest and intrigue in Toronto. Of course it isn’t constantly in the media because it has been 6 years. No one needs to prove interest or defend this. Follow the case or don’t - up to each person.

Everyone i know has watched the Doc. My neighbour had friends visiting from Los Angeles last week. They were staying at a hotel, when they met for dinner they told her that they had binge watched it the night before and had a million questions. I'm not sure you are aware, this is not a clod case.
why didnt netflix or amazon aquired the doc then before it showed ?
a valid question

fwiw, varied refresher
''Feb 2, 2018
Barry Sherman was Canada’s top pharmaceutical executive, worth over $4 billion dollars. His wife, Honey was a philanthropist who raised millions for charities. They were loved and admired for their success and generosity. But Barry also had a long list of enemies which had grown over time as he battled rivals in courtrooms and boardrooms, always determined to win, whatever the cost… So when the couple were found strangled in their Toronto home in December, the whispers began. Did someone really hate them enough to kill them? Was it a professional hit, an act of bitter vengeance from someone known to the Shermans, or was there another explanation? The Fifth Estate uncovers new leads in the mystery of the Sherman murders.''

''Apr 8, 2019
In December 2017, a Canadian pharmaceuticals executive and his wife were strangled in their home. No one knows who did it or why, but everyone has a theory. NOTE: This video was re-uploaded due to a factual error in the date of the murder. The video was corrected''

fwiw, varied refresher
''Feb 2, 2018
Barry Sherman was Canada’s top pharmaceutical executive, worth over $4 billion dollars. His wife, Honey was a philanthropist who raised millions for charities. They were loved and admired for their success and generosity. But Barry also had a long list of enemies which had grown over time as he battled rivals in courtrooms and boardrooms, always determined to win, whatever the cost… So when the couple were found strangled in their Toronto home in December, the whispers began. Did someone really hate them enough to kill them? Was it a professional hit, an act of bitter vengeance from someone known to the Shermans, or was there another explanation? The Fifth Estate uncovers new leads in the mystery of the Sherman murders.''

''Apr 8, 2019
In December 2017, a Canadian pharmaceuticals executive and his wife were strangled in their home. No one knows who did it or why, but everyone has a theory. NOTE: This video was re-uploaded due to a factual error in the date of the murder. The video was corrected''

Thanks, Dotr. I hadn't seen the Matthew Campbell episode before.

I’m very interested in reading his paper when it comes out. I hope he explains how he was able to get interviews with Barry’s friends— the CBC said they found that difficult when they were making their podcast.

Writer Feng Gao’s blog posts have been linked here before by other members, he also has taken an academic’s approach to writing about the case. I think he must have spent time at the Toronto Reference Library in order to research his blog posts about the case, as he cited very old articles.

“Barry Sherman, in fact, had a shy and reserved personality since childhood, in contrast to his aggressiveness in business. Joel Ulster, a friend from his high school days who at Sherman’s funeral in December 2017 called himself Sherman’s “oldest friend” as in Part 1, had known it well and talked about it decades ago in 1992: “It’s always been remarkable for me to see him speaking in public or in business, because socially he’s so much different,” said Joel Ulster, Sherman’s oldest and closest friend. The two met in high school.

Sherman, the younger of two children, was born in 1942 in Toronto and grew up near Bathurst north of St. Clair.

His parents wanted to call him Barry, but thinking that didn’t sound formal enough, registered his name as Bernard.

“He was shy. That’s still true of him today. He’s always very intense, hard-working, highly focused, the most intelligent person I’ve ever come across,” Ulster said in an interview.

And other acquaintances confirm that the same Barry Sherman who now regularly bites the heads off government bureaucrats will show up at a party and stand by himself, barely speaking unless spoken to.

“But in business he didn’t care if it were 1,000 people against one, as long as he thought he was right. He has supreme confidence . . . and there has been personal animosity toward him because he’s direct, aggressive and confident.””

There’s an old interview with Barry at the link above and he discusses the impact of his father’s death at a young age and how it affected his work ethic.

Last edited:
This is very generous of Ann Brocklehurst to share this with us. I want to read all of it, it’s fascinating.

6F4C4502-73EB-49D7-A575-2692C36F3075.png012D6B99-92E8-4E9E-9ACD-BDCE88FCA8A7.png

The section above is about their ADT alarm and PIN codes.

-December 12th @ 11:01pm (I think that’s either Barry arriving home or they set the alarm for the night.)
-December 13th @ 8:10am (this matches the general time Barry would open the front door to pick up the morning paper.)
-December 13th @ 4:34 pm (this matches the time Honey left the home if she arrived at Apotex at around 5:00 pm.)
-[Date and time redacted] I think that is possibly December 13th @ around 8:00pm when Honey arrived home and entered, imo. There’s no activity after that, and the redacted area is the same size as the other events which seem routine, so I’m guessing it was another ordinary PIN code entry to disable the alarm.

Screenshots from the documents AB provided: https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/post-files/135574001/17bfd94b-bd6d-4699-b441-17841b84bf58.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAUM3FPD6B3QYIIL2E&Expires=1690993787&Signature=4wadQvKTshF6WCJC1P5uQqV37DY=&response-content-disposition=attachment; filename="Ito_#12,_Appendix_D_(2020_09_01)_Redacted_Redacted_(2).pdf"

why didnt netflix or amazon aquired the doc then before it showed ?
a valid question
View attachment 438615View attachment 438616

The section above is about their ADT alarm and PIN codes.

-December 12th @ 11:01pm (I think that’s either Barry arriving home or they set the alarm for the night.)
-December 13th @ 8:10am (this matches the general time Barry would open the front door to pick up the morning paper.)
-December 13th @ 4:34 pm (this matches the time Honey left the home if she arrived at Apotex at around 5:00 pm.)
-[Date and time redacted] I think that is possibly December 13th @ around 8:00pm when Honey arrived home and entered, imo. There’s no activity after that, and the redacted area is the same size as the other events which seem routine, so I’m guessing it was another ordinary PIN code entry to disable the alarm.

Screenshots from the documents AB provided: https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/post-files/135574001/17bfd94b-bd6d-4699-b441-17841b84bf58.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAUM3FPD6B3QYIIL2E&Expires=1690993787&Signature=4wadQvKTshF6WCJC1P5uQqV37DY=&response-content-disposition=attachment; filename="Ito_#12,_Appendix_D_(2020_09_01)_Redacted_Redacted_(2).pdf"
If there was only one more activity with the alarm it be the killer/killers letting themselves in or Honey. If it was Honey then the killer could not have been in the house waiting...am i correct?
Unless the open window or an unlocked back door was not affected by the alarm being on or off.
if that is correct then someone would have had to know that. Is that a possibility ?

If there was only one more activity with the alarm it be the killer/killers letting themselves in or Honey. If it was Honey then the killer could not have been in the house waiting...am i correct?
Unless the open window or an unlocked back door was not affected by the alarm being on or off.
if that is correct then someone would have had to know that. Is that a possibility ?
Or the killer could have arrived at 8 and disarmed the alarm. Honey could have then come in a bit later and even if she noticed it was disarmed she may have thought she forgot to arm it when she left for Apotex. I am more inclined to think it was Honey that disarmed it, though.

She may have also disarmed it and never armed it again since she knew Barry was on his way and maybe the killer came in after she did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member