CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

I am unsure who LE have interviewed, if they did or did not speak to anyone from the synagogue, what time would the services end at a synagogue?

We may also want to keep in mind the bodies were found long after the deaths close to 3 days were already lost to investigate anything.

One thing I was looking for was a pathway from the Synagogue (Temple Emanu-El) to that would shorten the walking distance to Ballantyne Drive, where we have video of the WM. I did not see anything like that. However one may have existed to Vyner Rd.

Please note I never left my car to walk around, because it appeared that most properties in the area, have No-Trespassing signs, and numerous cameras, and I was not interested in a confrontation with a security person. Totally understandable why there exist heightened precautions in the community.
Is it such a long walk if you cut through at the end of old colony to get to Bannantyne via Swansdown Dr instead of walking only onthe streets? It seems based on the diagram that this would be a much more direct route.
Yes, absolutely lalager, If I was braver, I could have found a short cut through the rear parking lot of the Temple, onto Vyner Rd. One spot looked promising was at the north end of the east parking area of the Temple. However, I was not dressed for exploring, and there was snow piled and dumpsters that appeared to block passage. From an aerial photo, it appears there is a sidewalk that goes from the Temple to Vyner Rd.

Based on those aerial photos the Walking Man could have gone from Old Colony, to the Temple parking lot, and then followed the sidewalk to Vyner then to Ballantyne.

Alternatively there are hiking trails, in the green space behind the the Temple, called the Vyner Greenbelt. Walking on these trails, the WM would have avoided many cameras on Vyner Rd. properties. If there is no video of the WM on Vyner, then he probably accessed the hiking trails.

MOO.

Last edited:
One thing I was looking for was a pathway from the Synagogue (Temple Emanu-El) to that would shorten the walking distance to Ballantyne Drive, where we have video of the WM. I did not see anything like that. However one may have existed to Vyner Rd.

Please note I never left my car to walk around, because it appeared that most properties in the area, have No-Trespassing signs, and numerous cameras, and I was not interested in a confrontation with a security person. Totally understandable why there exist heightened precautions in the community.

Yes, absolutely lalager, If I was braver, I could have found a short cut through the rear parking lot of the Temple, onto Vyner Rd. One spot looked promising was at the north end of the east parking area of the Temple. However, I was not dressed for exploring, and there was snow piled and dumpsters that appeared to block passage. From an aerial photo, it appears there is a sidewalk that goes from the Temple to Vyner Rd.

Based on those aerial photos the Walking Man could have gone from Old Colony, to the Temple parking lot, and then followed the sidewalk to Vyner then to Ballantyne.

Alternatively there are hiking trails, in the green space behind the the Temple, called the Vyner Greenbelt. Walking on these trails, the WM would have avoided many cameras on Vyner Rd. properties. If there is no video of the WM on Vyner, then he probably accessed the hiking trails.

MOO.
Don’t blame you for not exploring further Windsor, , that’s the job of LE.
My point with the synagogue was that KD wrote at some point that there was a function of some kind at the Temple the night of the murders, with many people in attendance. Yet LE apparently didn’t question anyone that was there, even days later, to see if anyone saw the NW or anyone else suspicious walking that Night. This info came from KD. They didnt even ask for a list of attendees that night. Imagine if the NW was one of the attendees?

My point with the synagogue was that KD wrote at some point that there was a function of some kind at the Temple the night of the murders, with many people in attendance. Yet LE apparently didn’t question anyone that was there, even days later, to see if anyone saw the NW or anyone else suspicious walking that Night. This info came from KD. They didnt even ask for a list of attendees that night. Imagine if the NW was one of the attendees?

KD said there was choir practice that night. I can’t find the schedule for that date, but for more recent dates they have practiced from 7:30- 9:00 pm. But would they have hung around after that? It was the second night of Hanukkah.

IMO, LE had a deliberate strategy to ensure that not a peep or a whiff of their knowledge of the existence of the NW was released - in order to avoid alerting the NW and any associates to what they knew.

Canadian police are extremely secretive about their investigations, in comparison with the US. Especially in this case, IMO, because close family members and even 'friends' are obvious suspects.

JMO

Was in Toronto on business yesterday. Took a quick drive on Old Colony Road. Easy access and egress off Bayview Ave. Old Colony is a quiet street, except for home construction and renovations on the street. Large lots and large homes. Old Colony is rather narrow, and dead ends at a Jewish Synagogue/Centre.

50 Old Colony is border up on all sides, and has a realtor sign on it. Not listed on MLS. Houses in area for sale asking in the range of $3.5 to 16.9 Million Canadian.

Understandable how neighbours did not see or hear anything, as most houses are well separated and almost isolated from each other. Not a typical subdivision by any means

Quite a distance to Bannatyne Drive, where some video of Night Walker was taken.
Now, the address where the gruesome double murder took place has been slightly altered to 48 Old Colony Road.

MOO.
He could have also made his way to Stubbs. Stubbs is a dead end except there is a staircase that takes you onto Lesley. Just south of the 401 and with absolutely no homes or business's in the area of Lesley.

He could have also made his way to Stubbs. Stubbs is a dead end except there is a staircase that takes you onto Lesley. Just south of the 401 and with absolutely no homes or business's in the area of Lesley.

Stubbs makes sense because of that apartment building, but I don’t understand how he wasn’t caught on cctv again after passing 59 Bannatyne. He would have passed over 50 homes on both sides of the streets if he kept on the sidewalks.

1706228324977.png
google map image

Stubbs makes sense because of that apartment building, but I don’t understand how he wasn’t caught on cctv again after passing 59 Bannatyne. He would have passed over 50 homes on both sides of the streets if he kept on the sidewalks.

View attachment 477780
google map image
I looked on google street view and went back as far as September 2017. I really could not see many if any cameras. It was still very green and lush so possible hiding behind the greenery . Stubbs Dr is not as affluent as the streets from old colony leading to it and i didn't see any cameras at all.

Thinking some more about where the Walking Man traveled. I now think following the trails in the Vyner Greenbelt would not have been sensible option for the WM. Uneven terrain, no defined trails, winter conditions, could be icy patches and totally unlit.

Since the sidewalk from Vyner to the Temple was likely a common route for local residents to and from the Temple, nobody likely would take notice of WM, walking that night.

Too bad the TPS will not tell us if they have a photo of WM on Vyner.

The query about the home on Forest Heights behind Sherman's, got me thinking about the number of assailants who committed the murders. If the WM arrived at the Sherman home, on foot from Old Colony, and the TPS believe somebody came from Forest Heights, then we can be pretty sure there were two assailants. However if there is no record of the WM arriving at the Sherman's from Old Colony, likely only one assailant.

Too bad the TPS will not tell us if they have a photo of WM on Old Colony, approaching the Sherman home.

The fact that the WM was not driven to and from the Sherman home (or very close) makes me think, the assailants were not North American. After driving the area, I sense the assailants meticulously researched and planned the event.

MOO

Thinking some more about where the Walking Man traveled. I now think following the trails in the Vyner Greenbelt would not have been sensible option for the WM. Uneven terrain, no defined trails, winter conditions, could be icy patches and totally unlit.

Since the sidewalk from Vyner to the Temple was likely a common route for local residents to and from the Temple, nobody likely would take notice of WM, walking that night.

The query about the home on Forest Heights behind Sherman's, got me thinking about the number of assailants who committed the murders. If the WM arrived at the Sherman home, on foot from Old Colony, and the TPS believe somebody came from Forest Heights, then we can be pretty sure there were two assailants. However if there is no record of the WM arriving at the Sherman's from Old Colony, likely only one assailant.

Too bad the TPS will not tell us if they have a photo of WM on Old Colony, approaching the Sherman home.

The fact that the WM was not driven to and from the Sherman home (or very close) makes me think, the assailants were not North American. After driving the area, I sense the assailants meticulously researched and planned the event.

MOO
If he was wearing ice grippers on his shoes he would have been fine. Those things are amazing on ice and make you confident in winter conditions, and he was walking quickly instead of cautiously. I'm outside in winter a lot and rely on them heavily.

Is it such a long walk if you cut through at the end of old colony to get to Bannantyne via Swansdown Dr instead of walking only onthe streets? It seems based on the diagram that this would be a much more direct route.
At some point he decided to go north when he left 50 Old Colony, then southeast again on Bannatyne towards Leslie. I don’t know why he added the extra steps that added minutes. Unless he lived close to 59 Bannatyne or his vehicle was there.

1706313959574.png
Google maps image.

At some point he decided to go north when he left 50 Old Colony, then southeast again on Bannatyne towards Leslie. I don’t know why he added the extra steps that added minutes. Unless he lived close to 59 Bannatyne or his vehicle was there.

View attachment 478015
Google maps image.
Maybe he deposited/hid something there, like zip ties or who knows what?! speculation, imo,

MOO
Windsor, I agree with both your conclusions. I think the fact that WM did not drive/was not driven to the home shows both that the team was not North American and that the murders were carefully researched and planned.
This is my reasoning, with the caveat that I don't know Toronto at all:
1. Even though the Shermans themselves did not seem concerned about security, many homes on a quiet residential street in a well-to-do neighborhood will have security cameras. Depending on the homeowner's needs, the camera may record continuously, or it may only record motion events. Either way, most residents will have cameras that focus on their doors and driveways and not on the street per se. But, at the same time, doorbell cameras and cameras pointed at driveways are likely to pick up both pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
2. In contrast, if you are on an arterial (as I am) you may have to limit your camera settings and notifications to a very small zone around your immediate curtilage. Otherwise you'd be getting constant alerts and useless footage due to the thousands of cars that zoom past at 40 MPH.
3. The WM and accomplice(s) needed to be very concerned about home security cameras in the neighborhood because the quieter the street the more likely that any traffic is significant and that anything recorded would stand out (particularly if the camera recording is motion-triggered). With ordinary security cameras on an arterial they can rely on the likelihood that most people won't aim their cameras at the traffic.
4. IMO WM determined a pedestrian approach would be the least likely to generate any useful footage. My theory is that WM had a colleague in a non-descript vehicle doing a slow loop of arterials waiting for WM to emerge from the neighborhood on foot after the murders. Due to high traffic volume on the arterials and the possibility that residential cameras would not be aimed at the traffic, someone picking up a pedestrian from an arterial might not be recorded. Plus a pedestrian walking purposefully on a sidewalk would draw less attention than a pedestrian or vehicle loitering at a pre-arranged rendezvous point. I have zero knowledge of Toronto, but based on the map it seems like the driver could have been slowly circling clockwise Leslie to York Mills to Bayview to Shepard to Leslie. The WM would walk Bannatyne to Leslie and follow the loop until his colleague passed him at the right time.
5. IMO WM and his colleagues were extremely lucky because the initial murder-suicide theory meant that LE didn't immediately pursue home security footage before it got recycled. Then, based on the neighbors' statements, LE weren't particularly diligent about seeking footage after suspicion turned to murder.

JMO of course.

I agree that it seems like the killer(s) meticulously planned this “commute”. I don’t see, however, why this means that they must be from another country. If anything, I think it’s more likely they were local and had sussed it out.

View attachment 478015
Google maps image.
What was the old Sherman home address before OC, was it not on Bannatyne?

View attachment 478015
Google maps image.
I think Bannatyne is north east of OCR. Am i wrong?

MOO
I think the WM was dropped off and picked up on Lesley st.

I think the WM was dropped off and picked up on Lesley st.
Just to be clear, the arterial road that is east of The Old Colony Rd, is spelled Leslie.
I agree that the WM was likely picked up on Leslie St.

Leslie Street
George Leslie was a Scot who immigrated to Toronto in 1824. He worked as a builder on the Parliament Buildings and Upper Canada College. In 1834, Leslie co-founded the Toronto Horticultural Society. In 1837, he opened Upper Canada’s first seed store and operated the Toronto Nurseries in 1845 with his sons on about 200 acres east of the Don River. The gardens and some of the trees at Mount Pleasant Cemetery and in Allan Gardens, as well as some trees used in British shipbuilding, came from Leslie’s nursery. Many of the oldest trees were planted because of Leslie, and the city’s chestnut trees exist because of an oversupply – he sold them to the city at a discounted rate. Leslie was on the Toronto City Council, a member of the volunteer fire department, a founding member of the local Presbyterian church and he also worked as postmaster in the neighbourhood that became Leslieville in 1860.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back