CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #23

The Bitter Aftermath of a Billionaire Murder Mystery
Today the rifts within the family extend far beyond the Sherman children and Aunt Mary, who along with her children declined to speak to T&C. Jonathon no longer talks to his three sisters, and in December two of Mary’s children, twins Matthew and Rebecca Shechtman, sued the Sherman children and other administrators of a trust worth more than $400 million. The trust, the suit alleges, was established in 2016 to benefit not just the Sherman children but also the children of Mary Shechtman and Sandra Florence, Barry’s sister.

It has just three trustees: Jonathon; Brad Krawczyk, the ex-husband of one of the Shermans’ daughters; and Alex Glasenberg, a decades-long confidant of Barry’s who runs the Sherman holding company, Sherfam. According to the lawsuit the trustees have breached their fiduciary duties by refusing to meet with the Shechtman twins or share details of the trust’s accounts. This is, at least in part, because Jonathon is no longer speaking with the other trustees. Lawyers for Jonathon, Krawczyk, and Glasenberg declined comment.

May 10 '24
Why do they write "Krawczyk Family", if it is only Alexandra, who is the donor? Her 2 millions, but the whole family inclusive separated husband can decorate themselves with it? I wonder.

One of the old news items worth refreshing.

‘I wanted to roll his head,’ cousin of murdered billionaire says in bizarre TV interview

Winter also told CBC that he had spoken to his psychiatrist in the past about fantasies of killing his cousin.

“I would talk about killing Barry, and it was very graphic,” Winter said. “He would come out of the parking lot of Apotex, and I’d be hiding behind a car, and I’d just decapitate him. I wanted to roll his head down the parking lot, and I’d sit there and wait for the police.”

Why do they write "Krawczyk Family", if it is only Alexandra, who is the donor? Her 2 millions, but the whole family inclusive separated husband can decorate themselves with it? I wonder.
Interesting. Maybe it's badly phrased or maybe she's including her kids? But I thought this was made by her on behalf of her late parents.

Interesting. Maybe it's badly phrased or maybe she's including her kids? But I thought this was made by her on behalf of her late parents.
IMO because that is her last name now. Her maiden name is Sherman, her now family name is Krawczyk. Her name is not hyphenated to include Sherman so no reason to mention it. Alex did not change back to maiden name after divorce so no reason to use that name anymore.

Edit to add also I believe a foundation in the family Krawczyk name is how Alex donates the funds.

Alex and her husband are divorced but still very close friends and work together running the foundation according to friends.

Does anyone here think the issues with the Shechtmans has anything to do with the murders?

Or is it just an interesting lawsuit connected to the Shermans so the media are reporting the details about it?
I wondered that as well but what would the motive be? Mary was getting money and trips from Honey. Her son was able to use her credit card. Did any of the Shechtmans think they were going to get something when the Shermans passed away?

MOO.

I wondered that as well but what would the motive be? Mary was getting money and trips from Honey. Her son was able to use her credit card. Did any of the Shechtmans think they were going to get something when the Shermans passed away?

MOO.
I am sure they all did. They would be right to think that. They had a wonderful relationship according to friends.

I am sure they all did. They would be right to think that. They had a wonderful relationship according to friends.
Was the “wonderfulness” of the relationship between the Schechtman and Sherman families directly proportional to the amount of money received from the Sherman’s? Because now, we are led to believe there is no money and no relationship.

Was the “wonderfulness” of the relationship between the Schechtman and Sherman families directly proportional to the amount of money received from the Sherman’s? Because now, we are led to believe there is no money and no relationship.
I’m not sure that is totally fair. It sounds like Mary handled things poorly, but it also sounds like it isn’t her choice that she’s been cut out of the family relationships. So I don’t think she is estranged *because* there is no money flowing. MOO

Reward Payment to Tipster. Tax?
Also, is it before or after taxes since it could be diminished by any applicable taxes? Are rewards tax free or not?
@newclues Reward $? Interesting Q.

Briefly, if recipient lives in -
- CANADA? W. a quick Canada personal income tax search, I did not drill down past this general info of whether reward $ would be included in income:
--- “... report as income and how to enter these amounts on your tax return.
^ Reporting income - Personal income tax - Canada.ca
--- “Amounts that are not reported or taxed.”
Amounts that are not reported or taxed - Canada.ca
IDK. Maybe a Canadian poster can get down to the granular level to provide answer.

- USA? A reward payment is included in income, on fed. individual income tax return per IRS “Additional Income and Adjustments to Income.” *
"Rewards. If you receive a reward for providing information, include it in your income."
Refreshing Plain Language in a government publication.
A US recipient would (verrry likely, imo) pay fed. income tax on reward $ & depending on state of residence, may also pay state income tax on $. Would depend on amt of reward & other specific info on individual's tax return.

Personally if I had info which could lead to the arrest & conviction of BS & HS killers, I'd provide it and be pleased to pay US fed & st. taxes on it. YMMV.

* IOW if person in the US provides info to a person or entity offering $ reward for crime info leading to arrest or arrest & conviction and receives reward $, that recipient would be required to include $$$ in fed. income tax return.
In this case, I don't recall WHO OFFERED a reward. BS & HS offspring; other fam. member; one of the Sherman trusts; other? Maybe a smaller award, from Crime Stoppers-type org, or LE? Regardless of source of reward $, imo, $ would be included in income for a person in US.
From IRS Publication 525 (2023) “Taxable and Nontaxable Income” (w a list of dozens of items of) “Miscellaneous Compensation” to be reported in U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, often on Form 1040, Schedule 1.

Last edited:
Reward Payment to Tipster. Tax?

@newclues Reward $? Interesting Q.

Briefly, if recipient lives in -
- CANADA? W. a quick Canada personal income tax search, I did not drill down past this general info of whether reward $ would be included in income:
--- “... report as income and how to enter these amounts on your tax return.
^ Reporting income - Personal income tax - Canada.ca
--- “Amounts that are not reported or taxed.”
Amounts that are not reported or taxed - Canada.ca
IDK. Maybe a Canadian poster can get down to the granular level to provide answer.

- USA? A reward payment is included in income, on fed. individual income tax return per IRS “Additional Income and Adjustments to Income.” *
"Rewards. If you receive a reward for providing information, include it in your income."
Refreshing Plain Language in a government publication.
A US recipient would (verrry likely, imo) pay fed. income tax on reward $ & depending on state of residence, may also pay state income tax on $. Would depend on amt of reward & other specific info on individual's tax return.

Personally if I had info which could lead to the arrest & conviction of BS & HS killers, I'd provide it and be pleased to pay US fed & st. taxes on it. YMMV.

* IOW if person in the US provides info to a person or entity offering $ reward for crime info leading to arrest or arrest & conviction and receives reward $, that recipient would be required to include $$$ in fed. income tax return.
In this case, I don't recall WHO OFFERED a reward. BS & HS offspring; other fam. member; one of the Sherman trusts; other? Maybe a smaller award, from Crime Stoppers-type org, or LE? Regardless of source of reward $, imo, $ would be included in income for a person in US.
From IRS Publication 525 (2023) “Taxable and Nontaxable Income” (w a list of dozens of items of) “Miscellaneous Compensation” to be reported in U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, often on Form 1040, Schedule 1.

In Canada we do not pay tax on lottery winnings, or rewards that are not paid via your employer. These are not considered income they are considered as gifts.

For any non Canadian thinking this is so awesome, we do pay large taxes on everything else. Gifts are rare.

Was someone/anyone against MS receiving several hundred million dollars from HS?
Also, was someone/anyone against HS receiving several hundred million dollars from BS?

Does anyone here think the issues with the Shechtmans has anything to do with the murders?

Or is it just an interesting lawsuit connected to the Shermans so the media are reporting the details about it?
Maybe regarding someone not wanting HS to give MS hundreds of millions of dollars or even someone not wanting BS to give HS hundreds of millions of dollars that would allow this to happen.

MOO.
Possibly not since Allen Shechtman was no longer a trustee when changes were made to just have only four as trustees.

Reward Payment to Tipster. Income? Tax?
In Canada we do not pay tax on lottery winnings, or rewards that are not paid via your employer. These are not considered income they are considered as gifts.
For any non Canadian thinking this is so awesome, we do pay large taxes on everything else. Gifts are rare.
@Bobbi Pearl Thanks :) for your reply re the Canada personal income tax question, prompting me to read further & to find:

"Windfalls"*
"1.2 .... not subject to tax. Factors indicating that a particular receipt is a windfall include the following:...."
[a laundry list of factors a. thru h.]
" The factors above are based on those set out in the decision of The Queen v. Cranswick, [1982] CTC 69, 82 DTC 6073 (F.C.A.)."

The factors in ^ summary address a broad range of circumstances but nothing as specific as the IRS publication for U.S. (linked in my earlier post): "Rewards. If you receive a reward for providing information, include it in your income."

------------------------------------------------
* Income Tax Folio S3-F9-C1, Lottery Winnings, Miscellaneous Receipts, and Income (and Losses) from Crime - Canada.ca

IMO all was in good standing with HS, MS, BS and AS. They were planning to spend time together over Christmas in Florida.

If Mary‘S children wanted to get to their trust fund I would think the murders would have been done in Florida and all 4 killed.

Grief, Fear and a lot of money have separated most of this family tree, so sad all round.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173
Back