CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on that. It seems more like a vanity project for JS without considering long term ramifications of the upkeep and ongoing expenses associated with the rinks.

Private rinks make money. But they charge a high price for ice time, operate late and early hours, and have busy concession, restaurants and skate shops attached.

Considering the capital cost to the owner here is zero, they should be able to cover ongoing maintenance and upkeep.

Just thinking about AB's post. Who else knew that Honey bought these belts, other than the trainer? Do we even know the second one was Barry's? I mean, it likely was but do we know for sure that Honey wasn't wearing one? Maybe they were just handy and don't really mean anything. I wish so much that there was a working camera in that room!

I thought the same thing, first time I ever heard his name and the initial for his last name. The document is now uploaded and the last name is LUBINSKY
Stanley Lubinsky was a part owner of a jewelry company (Jaltex) that Barry invested in and was part owner of.

I don't know if Stanley Lubinsky was associated with the Martin Ross Group, which was the jewelry company owned by Alan Schechtman, who is Mary's husband and was BS' brother in law. Martin Ross filed for bankruptcy/CCRA in 2016, and at that time Sherfam had outstanding loans to Martin Ross totaling about $33 million. Another customer of the Bank of Barry......

Last edited:
Just thinking about AB's post. Who else knew that Honey bought these belts, other than the trainer? Do we even know the second one was Barry's? I mean, it likely was but do we know for sure that Honey wasn't wearing one? Maybe they were just handy and don't really mean anything. I wish so much that there was a working camera in that room!
Some take the fact that HS gave these belts to BS as a gift as an expression of her love for him. It didn't matter that they were "cheap leather belts". If they were specifically used to stage hang them, then the killer was against this love bond.

I think Stanley Lubinsky may have been associated with the Martin Ross Group, which was the jewelry company owned by Alan Schechtman, who is Mary's husband and was BS' brother in law. Martin Ross filed for bankruptcy/CCRA in 2016, and at that time Sherfam had outstanding loans to Martin Ross totaling about $33 million. Another customer of the Bank of Barry......

It must be nice having a rich relative or friend that can bankroll one for almost any business project, etc.

Some take the fact that HS gave these belts to BS as a gift as an expression of her love for him. It didn't matter that they were "cheap leather belts". If they were specifically used to stage hang them, then the killer was against this love bond.
If HS chose BS' nourishment (and many did know that, it seems), then it doesn't wonder, that she bought also his (cheap) belts, one shorter than the other for times, when the weight had changed owing to some training. Who would have done it, if not her: caring for her 4th dependant child (who had a brilliant brain)? Was it love or only her special task in this unconventional relationship of Yin and Yang, of Key and Lock? For being Toronto's Queen of Charity, you just have to do some sort of service. I am curious, whether the (cheap) belts will prove to be a certain symbol! :)

It must be nice having a rich relative or friend that can bankroll one for almost any business project, etc.
Some people who have difficulty expressing love and affection, give money or gifts to those they care about. It does not mean they are bad people in any way. It is just their emotional make up. I think BS was like that, and maybe a bit "genius" autistic.

No doubt all these business losses were used by Barry's accountants against his business income when it came tax time. Also, people with high incomes often give to charities to have the necessary tax write offs, as well as to be philanthropic. I am just saying it was not all a dead loss for Barry when some of his friends could not repay loans because their business deals failed.

I wonder if anyone in the Sherman family, or other rich close friends, or associates, had any huge loans that they"forgave", or if they gave anyone funds for a business venture, a loan etc. around the time of the murders? There are many ways to barter for services, or make a payment one wants off the official "books". Since TPS considers the estate central to the case, and are trying to keep so much related to it sealed, I tend to think that their suspects would be linked somehow to the estate. Just speculation on my part, since there is so much money floating around in this case! IMO

From ITO #12: (RBBM)
"...On January 30th, 2018 I reviewed a Statement Summary, for the statement of Judi GOTTLIEB which she provided to Det. TAVARES on December 27th, 2017. I have summarized the statement as follows: Judi is the real estate agent that co-listed 50 Old Colony Road with Elise STERN. She is also a family friend of the SHERMANs had have known Honey and Barry for the past 25 to 30 years. Judi says that she is a confidante of Honey and she has probably spent more time with Honey than any of her other friends because of their shared interest. When it was time to list the house, Honey called Judi and Honey’s sister chose Elise and the two of them co-listed the property. Judi did not want to list the property in December and she had tried to convince everyone to list it in February but she was overruled. Judi has been doing real estate for 35 years and an agent is lucky if they get one client to show a house to, however there was one agent who showed 50 Old 44 Colony Road to three different clients. This agent had four showings. When this agent went for the fourth showing, neither Judi nor Elise, were available to attend the house to conduct the showing so this agent showed the house to his client himself. Judi does not know who the agent showed the house to on that day. On that day there was a home inspector at the house from 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM and there was a cleaning lady at the house. The agent had a Persian name and Judi will get the name to pass along..."

and

"...
All the agents who showed up at the open house left their card. Judi thought it was strange that after the SHERMANs’ deaths she never heard from the agent of [the rest of the sentence is redacted. I, LDLager assume she is referring to the agent that previously showed the house several times]. Honey usually entered her house through the side door and Barry would go through the garage into the basement of the house. Honey did not park her car in the basement because she did not want to walk up the flight of stairs because she had arthritis.

I think HS bought them for BS because he epitomized the absent minded professor who's head is always wrapped up in his business. He had no interest in mundane issues. He was not influenced by high end cars, expensive jewelry and probably belts to hold up his pants. He took comfort in the familiar. If he'd lost weight from his exercising he was probably always hitching up his pants. That fact may have more to do with HS not wanting BH looking unkempt than an expression of love.

I don't understand, what Honey's sister had to do with listing the OC. She wasn't an agent and she wasn't an owner. Why did she play a role in it?? o_O

Sharing the commission with Judy? The commission would have been substantial and perhaps JG figured half of the standard 5% was better than nothing.

I don't understand, what Honey's sister had to do with listing the OC. She wasn't an agent and she wasn't an owner. Why did she play a role in it?? o_O
This is what Macleans said about it:

“When the Shermans put their house on the market, they did what many rich people do to protect privacy: they used a numbered company as the seller. Sherman had a library to choose from; the one that was chosen listed him as president and his sister-in-law, Mary Shechtman, as a director.

That Sherman had a numbered Ontario company with his sister-in-law named as an officer wouldn’t surprise anyone familiar with his labyrinthine holdings outside of Apotex—ventures that put the test to Sherman’s claim he didn’t care about making money. Relatives pop up in the records of Sherman’s non-Apotex ventures held through “Sherm”-prefixed companies—including Shermco Inc., Sherfam Inc., Sherfam Industries Inc., Sherfam Holdings Inc.—as well as Bernard C. Sherman Limited and numerous trusts and private foundations. The Shermans’ real estate holdings—apartment buildings, condos, commercial properties, rumoured private islands—were held via Sherfam Inc., Signet Realty and Weston, Fla.-based Sherm Realty, as well as trusts.” Barry and Honey Sherman murders: Inside the lives of the billionaire couple

The listing was featured in Toronto Life just before the murders and clearly identified the Shermans as the owners, so I don’t fully understand how privacy was the reason for listing it that way.

I may be off on this but I seem to recall reading somewhere that KW’s brother had a partner who was a service provider to the Sherman’s. I cannot find where I read this and was wondering if anyone else recalled this.

This is what Macleans said about it:

“When the Shermans put their house on the market, they did what many rich people do to protect privacy: they used a numbered company as the seller. Sherman had a library to choose from; the one that was chosen listed him as president and his sister-in-law, Mary Shechtman, as a director.

That Sherman had a numbered Ontario company with his sister-in-law named as an officer wouldn’t surprise anyone familiar with his labyrinthine holdings outside of Apotex—ventures that put the test to Sherman’s claim he didn’t care about making money. Relatives pop up in the records of Sherman’s non-Apotex ventures held through “Sherm”-prefixed companies—including Shermco Inc., Sherfam Inc., Sherfam Industries Inc., Sherfam Holdings Inc.—as well as Bernard C. Sherman Limited and numerous trusts and private foundations. The Shermans’ real estate holdings—apartment buildings, condos, commercial properties, rumoured private islands—were held via Sherfam Inc., Signet Realty and Weston, Fla.-based Sherm Realty, as well as trusts.” Barry and Honey Sherman murders: Inside the lives of the billionaire couple

The listing was featured in Toronto Life just before the murders and clearly identified the Shermans as the owners, so I don’t fully understand how privacy was the reason for listing it that way.

If it was listed that way, doesn’t that mean that the title was in the company name?

So... I'm trying to go back through this thread but only on page 10. Forgive me if I'm repeating something.

I started watching the Crave Series and the whole FDA thing struck me the most, which is funny because he's not a person I paid much attention to. My brain went down the rabbit hole... why was BS giving him so much? I thought.. were they.. in a "relationship" of some sort? Then in my reading of the thread I see JS actually suggested that at one point? Interesting I came to that conclusion without ever hearing that tidbit.

The other thing that struck me.. if I was KD no way on earth I would be going up to meet JS alone.
I have wondered about all of this re FDA. Flan I’m not the only one!

They did mention what countries they are seeking info from. I can't recall off the top of my head. KD said they are trying to link a source of funds from one of them countries to someone here in Canada. I'll try to find the article on this

Edit: Maybe they didn't mention the 5 countries.....I may have that mixed up with speculation here on this thread....Dotr or Lexiintoronto may be able to help with this.
I don’t think they did name the countries.
Isn’t that one of the reasons KD is going back to court ?
He wants them to release the information for warrants that have been issued.
I think once they are done it’s supposed be on the public record.
That info along with other Warrants.

In fairness, he has spoken about building it for several years now, using family funds that were earmarked for charitable giving. Now he is using his own money I guess. I’m not sure what makes the timing funny now, the case hasn’t changed much in several years, at least as far as we know.
He and his
In fairness, he has spoken about building it for several years now, using family funds that were earmarked for charitable giving. Now he is using his own money I guess. I’m not sure what makes the timing funny now, the case hasn’t changed much in several years, at least as far as we know.
I guess he and his pals won’t have to search to far for ice time anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member