Canada - Dawn Dumont Walker, 48, accused of abducting her son and faking their deaths, Saskatoon, 23 Jul 2022

I would believe that myself, except how could she ever continue her successful career as an author, comic and actor?
True. Doesn't seem likely that someone with a high profile career would give it up.

How likely is it that someone would kidnap a 48 year old woman and her 7 year old child? I'm guessing that if someone with criminal intent met them at the river, their bodies would not be too far from the blanket.

True. Doesn't seem likely that someone with a high profile career would give it up.

How likely is it that someone would kidnap a 48 year old woman and her 7 year old child? I'm guessing that if someone with criminal intent met them at the river, their bodies would not be too far from the blanket.
Yes, it seems unlikely anyone would kidnap them both and take them so far that they haven't been found. I think a sexual predator possibly would have killed and disposed of one or both and/or possibly taken the other away somewhere. But I don't think they would both be taken from the area.

I guess it keeps coming back to the water.

Possible scenarios:
Child falls in and mom goes in after him. This seems most likely.
There is always the grim possibility of self harm, but I don't think it seems likely in this specific case.

She was planning to visit with the pope. It seems unlikely she would believe in murder/suicide, much less partake in it, imo. And she seemed to be at a high point in her career and had a wonderful child she was devoted to. But sadly, we never really know...

Yes, it seems unlikely anyone would kidnap them both and take them so far that they haven't been found. I think a sexual predator possibly would have killed and disposed of one or both and/or possibly taken the other away somewhere. But I don't think they would both be taken from the area.

I guess it keeps coming back to the water.

Possible scenarios:
Child falls in and mom goes in after him. This seems most likely.
There is always the grim possibility of self harm, but I don't think it seems likely in this specific case.

She was planning to visit with the pope. It seems unlikely she would believe in murder/suicide, much less partake in it, imo. And she seemed to be at a high point in her career and had a wonderful child she was devoted to. But sadly, we never really know...
I agree, IMO, a tragic accident.

If they went into the river near the vehicle, given the high water levels in July, I think they could be at the bottom of the river, unsurfaced, or in the weir.

View attachment 357658

View attachment 357659

"The RCMP attached a tracking device to the ... and put it in the river in February to monitor its movements, its temperature and flow rates of the river.

RCMP say the pig carcass stayed at the river bottom until May 25, then started moving -- a signal from the tracking device was picked up about 190 kilometres down stream from Saskatoon on June 8.

The tracking equipment and temperature probe were found last week, but police think scavengers in the remote area took the carcass."

does anything of any size that goes in the South Saskatchewan River wind up in the weir? Is it constructed in a such a way that it traps everything? and, looking at this map, is that an island across from the park? could anyone be washed up there or is it really small?

If you google South Saskatchewan River and drowning, apparently it occurs a lot and there is even an official Life Saving Society with its own Facebook, that says every year is worse than the previous; people should wear life jackets, etc., etc., but they do not
and there are countless articles about people drowning. I keep thinking that DDW grew up in this area and was too smart to do anything risky but.... ?

This is just a photo of the park off of the park website. I have no idea where this is in relation to where her truck, purse, and the blanket were found.

I was wondering what the river bank was like. - was it a gentle wide sandy shore, was it graveled or pebbled. From this photo, I'm struck that it all seems to be banked, so that it seems possible to easily fall into the river from the bank.

If I were fishing from a bank like this, I would want to be where the water was deepest, like over a hole, not over a shallow area.

Again, I don't know if it's all like this but this does make me concerned about the boy falling in and her having to jump in to save him, rather than wading in from a gently sloping shore.

This is just a photo of the park off of the park website. I have no idea where this is in relation to where her truck, purse, and the blanket were found.

I was wondering what the river bank was like. - was it a gentle wide sandy shore, was it graveled or pebbled. From this photo, I'm struck that it all seems to be banked, so that it seems possible to easily fall into the river from the bank.

If I were fishing from a bank like this, I would want to be where the water was deepest, like over a hole, not over a shallow area.

Again, I don't know if it's all like this but this does make me concerned about the boy falling in and her having to jump in to save him, rather than wading in from a gently sloping shore.

OK... the "Island" on the map is like a sandbar- nothing hidden there.

In one of the articles about the RCMP warning people to stay out of the North Saskatchewan River when it was high, they said specifically:

“All of that has an effect on your ability to exit the water, whether it’s a rescue or self-rescue. The other real piece to this is that with the elevated depth and volume, the river is now bank to bank,” he said. “There’s really no place to exit the river. You have to kind of go up a vertical bank, so even if you get yourself in, there just may not be an opportunity to get yourself out.”

not sure if that goes for the South River as well.

this article said "missing since June 22" and the video says that too, but it is July 22, 2022, right?
''Andrew Jansen has not seen Vincent "Vinnie" Jansen, 7, since July 22. The boy's mother, Dawn Walker, is also missing.''

Aug 2 2022
''The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, which represents 74 First Nations in Saskatchewan, said it is considering a reward for any information that leads to Walker, who is the federation’s chief executive officer, and Vincent.

Saskatoon police, who are leading the investigation within the city limits, said Walker was last seen at a business in Saskatoon on July 22.

Her red Ford F-150 truck and personal belongings were later found at Chief Whitecap Park, near the South Saskatchewan River, just south of the city.

Sgt. Grant Obst with the Saskatoon Police Service said her cellphone has not been found, but investigators have her phone records.''

So if all signs point to a water accident, why is the father’s campaign all about missing persons posters, a reward and investigator? I would be getting boats in the water, using sonar, searching the shoreline.

It makes no sense for Dawn to have staged something to disappear. Her literary career is reaping award nominations, she was a major party candidate in the federal election. She has done advocacy for missing and murdered women and so understands how traumatic it is when people disappear.

I can’t imagine her letting him swim. The river looks calm but there are undertows. I could possibly imagine an accident related to fishing but unless they had two rods, the rod was found with their stuff.

Since she vanished, she has been painted as a tragic victim of domestic abuse.

Perhaps we should look at who she is beyond that. She is a comedian. She's apparently one of the funniest people in Canada. Why would she take a 7 year old to the river after the child has had a long, intense day. He was fed and ready for bed at 6:30 PM. Were they going to sleep by the river on Saturday (July 23) before driving to Edmonton the following morning to see the Pope?

View attachment 357644

“With her communication skills, her personality, and her attitude, it was a daily thing to hear from her or to give her a call, so everyone knew something was wrong when we didn’t hear from her,” Cameron said. “When her dog was in her house barking, there was dog poop and urine in her house, something was wrong. Her son’s iPad was still in the room, her suitcase and everything is still in the room."

She was to leave for the Pope’s visit yesterday (Sunday), so something was wrong.”

I'm confused at this comment...A victim of DV can be all those things. People are pointing out the DV because it could be relevant.

MOO

Also: Her purse.

Where was it found - underneath the blanket like it was hidden, or open to full view ON TOP of the blanket. I would NEVER leave my purse out in a place in view of anyone walking by.

My first choice would be inside the locked car, in a hidden place. Maybe I'd put my DL or such in my pocket. If I had a backpack, I would not have my purse in it, I'd have only some extra socks and a jacket or hat & bug spray, a book. No valuables. It goes to say that my phone and car keys would be secured on my person.

My first choice would be inside the locked car, in a hidden place.
Absolutely contrary to police pleadings and signs at almost every park/hiking area parking lot, in the U.S. and Canada. Car prowls are rampant and have been for years. You cannot hide valuables in a vehicle and expect thieves not to find them. Also don't leave in your car, anything with your address and/or garage door openers.

does anything of any size that goes in the South Saskatchewan River wind up in the weir? Is it constructed in a such a way that it traps everything? and, looking at this map, is that an island across from the park? could anyone be washed up there or is it really small?

If you google South Saskatchewan River and drowning, apparently it occurs a lot and there is even an official Life Saving Society with its own Facebook, that says every year is worse than the previous; people should wear life jackets, etc., etc., but they do not
and there are countless articles about people drowning. I keep thinking that DDW grew up in this area and was too smart to do anything risky but.... ?
Although the wide river looks deep, with a sharp drop close to shore, even fast flowing shallow rivers (3 ft. deep) are deadly. People lose their footing and they're pulled towards the centre of the river and downstream. They quickly become exhausted before they can reach shore.

Drowning, and near drowning, rates in the river do seem high. The fire department rescued 3 people (link upthread) the weekend prior to the disappearance. A 7 year old child drowned in the river at the beginning of July this year. There is strong messaging to wear a life jacket and to tell someone where they will be for river visits, but none of the people who were rescued the previous weekend wore life jackets.

I suspect that if Dawn and her son wore life jackets near water, someone would have shared that information. Instead, there is no word about Dawn's water safety practices. Drowning seems like the most likely reason for the disappearance and, in my opinion, it's unfortunate that the initial reaction from friends and colleagues was "domestic abuse" victim. The 7 year old child's father has a missing child, and his extended family is devastated by what has happened.

I'm confused at this comment...A victim of DV can be all those things. People are pointing out the DV because it could be relevant.

MOO
We know that there are custody issues regarding the 7 year old child, and we know that Dawn wanted to take the child away from Saskatoon on three separate occasions in the last 4 years. We know that Dawn has filed domestic violence complaints against a former partner, but we don't know the name of that person.

Domestic violence complaints during a custody dispute should be viewed cautiously, in my opinion, particularly since police have investigated the complaints and have not filed charges against the father of the child. That is significant.

Also: Her purse.

Where was it found - underneath the blanket like it was hidden, or open to full view ON TOP of the blanket. I would NEVER leave my purse out in a place in view of anyone walking by.

My first choice would be inside the locked car, in a hidden place. Maybe I'd put my DL or such in my pocket. If I had a backpack, I would not have my purse in it, I'd have only some extra socks and a jacket or hat & bug spray, a book. No valuables. It goes to say that my phone and car keys would be secured on my person.
Absolutely! A backpack with water bottle, snack, bug spray, sweater for evening weather, flashlight and other basics is what most people take on an evening fishing trip. Taking a purse on a fishing trip seems unusual.

I also think it's unusual to take a 7 year old out of the city to go fishing in the evening after the child had a long day at day-camp, pizza supper with his sister, father and step-mother, and then an outing to an amusement park where he rode the mini-train. By 6 or 6:30 PM he had had a full day and should have been ready to put his pyjamas on and relax before bed.

I have read that Dawn was very active and seemed to have an endless amount of energy, but this isn't about Dawn. This is regarding a little boy who had a full day and then went to a no-swimming river to go fishing with his purse-carrying mom.

It just does not seem like an ideal situation for a 7 year old boy. The probability of a young child making a mistake near the river at the end of a long busy day seems higher than if they had gone fishing in the morning, or after a quiet day.

"The Saskatoon Police Service in conjunction with the United States Department of Homeland Security have located missing persons Dawn Walker and her son Vincent Jansen. The two were found in Oregon City, Oregon at approximately 11:30hrs (CST). Both are reported to be safe and well. Agency representatives are currently working out the details of arranging for their return to Canada."
https://saskatoonpolice.ca/news/2022314

Based on the father's comments, particularly regarding Dawn's wishes to take the child away from Saskatoon, it seems like he believes that Dawn may have staged the scene at the river and left the area - possibly crossing the border into the USA. I'm curious when their last court/custody applications were filed.
Well, otto, looks like you win the guessing game!

Wonder if the dad knew there was someone specific Dawn wanted to move to the US for.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Affogato
Back