Canada - Dawn Dumont Walker, 48, accused of abducting her son and faking their deaths, Saskatoon, 23 Jul 2022

She has a law degree.

This would be the 4th time she has left Saskatechwan against the joint custody orders? And now she committed the crime of fraud and and possibly of kidnapping and illegal entry to a foreign country.

This was a very stupid thing to do and she will really face severe scrutiny about child custody.

I’m also adding, MOO as a woman with some Native heritage, who was a child who lived in fear of abduction by my father this bothers me on many levels. She, as a celebrity advocate, has MOO, done a disservice like Jussie Smolett and Amber Heard have done, to all who have suffered terribly. It may not have been her intention, but every action has many consequences.
JMO

I’m also adding, MOO as a woman with some Native heritage, who was a child who lived in fear of abduction by my father this bothers me on many levels. She, as a celebrity advocate, has MOO, done a disservice like Jussie Smolett and Amber Heard have done, to all who have suffered terribly. It may not have been her intention, but every action has many consequences.
JMO
And that, besides what she did to the son and father, is the saddest part of the whole story.

And that, besides what she did to the son and father, is the saddest part of the whole story.
Yes. There is more than enough horror meted out to those with little recourse. She has a law degree, she is a fêted writer and popular performer, she has a very strong and respected job. She knew better and knows this will hurt others.
JMO

JMO
Her friends said that she was a domestic violence victim and that she filed complaints, but there were no charges against the father. She was an advocate for missing and murdered women, and she staged a scene to give the appearance of missing/murdered or drowning. She has done a great disservice to Indigenous women who are involuntarily missing. She's now the example of women who are intentionally missing after staging what might be a criminal event. Poor choices.

Easy to imagine that for some seeing their child having a wonderful family day with a former partner and his wife might really sting. imo. speculation.

Maybe the best way to minimize this situation is if DDW claims that she was in a fugue state due to the combined stress of historical trauma, The Pope's visit and the success of the aptly titled book, The Chicken Dance. speculation, imo.

rbbm.
''In dissociative fugue, a traumatic event may prompt a person to embark on an unexpected journey that may last for up to several months. During this journey, there is memory loss and confusion about personal identity or assumption of another identity. Once the fugue ends, the memory of the journey is lost.

The celebrated mystery writer Agatha Christie disappeared from her home in Berkshire, England, on the evening of December 3, 1926. Her mother, to whom she had been very close, had died some months earlier, and her husband Colonel Archibald Christie (‘Archie’) was having an affair with one Nancy Neele. ''

Before vanishing, Agatha had written several confused notes to Archie and others: in one, she wrote that she was simply going on holiday to Yorkshire, but in another that she feared for her life. The following morning, her abandoned car, with headlights on and bonnet up, was discovered in Surrey, not far from a lake called Silent Pool in which she had drowned one of her fictional characters. Inside the green Morris Cowley, she had left her fur coat, a suitcase with her belongings, and an expired driver’s license.

Fearing the worst, the police dredged the lake, organized as many as 15,000 volunteers to beat the surrounding countryside, and even (for the first time in England for a missing person) flew airplanes overhead—but all without any trace of Agatha''

Last edited:
I agree that jail time is not appropriate. There could be a Sentencing Circle with the Indigenous community if they view kidnapping a child and taking him out of the country as an egregious act. It's a clear violation of law.

I think that indigenous North Americans can travel freely between the US and Canada.
The US and Canada, of course, are separate countries now ... but to the indigenous heritage they are one country.
All they have to do to cross is show they have more than 50% indigenous heritage and a drivers license or similar.

I think that indigenous North Americans can travel freely between the US and Canada.
The US and Canada, of course, are separate countries now ... but to the indigenous heritage they are one country.
All they have to do to cross is show they have more than 50% indigenous heritage and a drivers license or similar.

It sounds like the issue is that she may not have crossed at a legal border. Although she can travel freely with 50% indigenous ancestry, her son may be 25% indigenous. His father is not Indigenous. There are also laws about transporting children out of the country without the consent of the other custodial parent. That law applies to everyone.

It sounds like the issue is that she may not have crossed at a legal border. Although she can travel freely with 50% indigenous ancestry, her son may be 25% indigenous. His father is not Indigenous. There are also laws about transporting children out of the country without the consent of the other custodial parent. That law applies to everyone.

Yes, understood that the child adds a different angle to the laws. But I was responding to your post about a Sentencing Circle. I am not sure her movements would be frowned upon by her culture.

Yes, understood that the child adds a different angle to the laws. But I was responding to your post about a Sentencing Circle. I am not sure her movements would be frowned upon by her culture.
Sentencing Circle is about acknowledging the victims. Movement across the border through legal border crossings should not be a problem. There is evidence that she crossed the border illegally, but we have to wait to hear more about it.

On another note, there was an enormous search involved air, water and land search teams. People were worried, resources were diverted. This was a Canada wide missing persons case. Most importantly, the child's father had no idea what had happened to his son for almost 2 weeks. His wife and young daughter would have been impacted by the child abduction as well. This was not a victimless crime.

"It is an opportunity for the offender to address the consequences of his or her actions and to seek the help of community and family. It is also an opportunity for the victim to be heard and to seek redress."

I'm supprised how quickly the opinion changed from "survivor of DV" to faking it. To me it sounds very much like something someone would do if they were scared for their lives or their child's. She left so much behind to just run. Why do that unless you're scared. Especially with the police possibly doing nothing about the reports in the past.

Jmo

I'm supprised how quickly the opinion changed from "survivor of DV" to faking it. To me it sounds very much like something someone would do if they were scared for their lives or their child's. She left so much behind to just run. Why do that unless you're scared. Especially with the police possibly doing nothing about the reports in the past.

Jmo

I would say there is much more to the story. I agree that there is likely a valid reason why this woman wanted to take her child away. She is a well educated person ... and should know the law very well, being a law school graduate.
Sometimes the law doesn't fix our valid concerns.

imo

Jmo
She has a law degree. She's bright enough to know how her actions would be interpreted.

She wanted sole custody of the child so she could live in Ottawa or Victoria. She probably thought that she had better job opportunities in those places. After being told three times that she could do whatever she wanted, but the child would remain in Saskatoon, it looks like she decided to do what she wanted anyway. She probably believed that she could restart life again.

She published under the name Dawn Dumont. She was arrested under the name Dawn Walker. Perhaps she had a plan using a different name.

Of course people would look at what she was willing to throw away and conclude that there's no way that she abducted the child and fled to a foreign country. That is very likely what she wanted people to see. The abandoned blanket by the river, fishing rod, purse, truck, instant allegations of abusive former partner, close affiliation with missing/murdered Indigenous women ... all a ruse.

1659740461984.png

Regarding the Stephen Leacock literary humour award, I wonder whether she will attend the Gala Award Dinner as though she did not abduct a child and transport him out of the country. That will tell us a lot about her character.

"MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

All three finalists must be available to attend the Gala Award Dinner in September 17, 2022. Failure to attend may result in forfeiture of the Medal and prize money!
Publishers who are submitting books on behalf of their authors MUST check with them that they are available on that date."

Regarding the Stephen Leacock literary humour award, I wonder whether she will attend the Gala Award Dinner as though she did not abduct a child and transport him out of the country. That will tell us a lot about her character.

"MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

All three finalists must be available to attend the Gala Award Dinner in September 17, 2022. Failure to attend may result in forfeiture of the Medal and prize money!
Publishers who are submitting books on behalf of their authors MUST check with them that they are available on that date."

That is probably the least of her concerns right now.

She has a law degree. She's bright enough to know how her actions would be interpreted.

She wanted sole custody of the child so she could live in Ottawa or Victoria. She probably thought that she had better job opportunities in those places. After being told three times that she could do whatever she wanted, but the child would remain in Saskatoon, it looks like she decided to do what she wanted anyway. She probably believed that she could restart life again.

She published under the name Dawn Dumont. She was arrested under the name Dawn Walker. Perhaps she had a plan using a different name.

Of course people would look at what she was willing to throw away and conclude that there's no way that she abducted the child and fled to a foreign country. That is very likely what she wanted people to see. The abandoned blanket by the river, fishing rod, purse, truck, instant allegations of abusive former partner, close affiliation with missing/murdered Indigenous women ... all a ruse.

View attachment 358042

But if she felt her son was the one in danger why would she leave him. I suppose it will all come down to the sons statement at the end of the day but I think most people will do what it takes to protect their children regardless of consequences. And having a law degree and meeting other survivors probably means she knows what's at stake not escaping if that was the reason.

I also don't really get how the different surnames mean she planned it either. Both have been known since the start she just had a different name professionally. She's not exactly hid it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thenationpublishersuk
Back