Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did! And note well that the RCMP does not call these things "airsoft" (which implies 'toy' to me and to many people - including, perhaps, the person who bought this gun).

I think it's an air gun (MOO) and falls well under RCMP guidelines for "air gun." While air guns are regulated in Canada, they are super easy to buy from ebay and can be shipped to Canada, especially by a seller who doesn't know and doesn't care about RCMP rules about who can buy...

Just saying. Mr. S calls his gift "airsoft" rifle, but I'm not so sure it isn't an "air gun" under RCMP rules.

It is actually not so easy to buy a gun off eBay in the US and have it shipped to Canada. Unlike the US, Canada collects tax on just about everything coming into the country by post, which means that every package has to be declared and is inspected. In any event, I kind of doubt that Schmegelsky Sr. was into trying to import guns illegally.

It’s true that guns are entering Canada illegally across the border, but I think that the gang members in places like Toronto that are buying are being a little more clever about it than trying to buy them off eBay :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Although we've heard much more about BS, I believe Kam is the far more dangerous one.
SBM

I agree. I've thought he was the leader from the beginning. Just MOO. It's what intrigues me because, outwardly, he seems so normal and well-behaved and, well, nice. But I think he hid his darkness very well.

...considers himself above all that mundane stuff, on a mission (which isn't yet revealed to him, as teen missions are often mysteries even to the teen).

Yes, it's definitely cultural - but notice how you started out with geography and ecosystem, basically. Those things underpin culture. Lack of internet access in Sicily is a significant feature of social life (and true for the Greek islands as well), but on Vancouver Island, not so much. As relatively middle class kids, K/B had internet access. The infrastructure and technology are key in providing culture its framework.

Would LOVE to hear your brother's insights. I've been around PA on google maps (definitely not like LA, but not too dissimilar from, say, parts of Riverside or San Bernardino Counties - or the Central Valley of California). In fact, it really looks like a Central Valley town (but absent the agriculture). It's probably really boring for teens.

Those with internet access have the world as their oyster (or so they think).

Cell phones are not the standard teen equipment in Sicily either (or most parts of Italy, as far as I can tell). I bet they are pretty common in middle class homes on Vancouver Island, though.

I didn’t say anything about internet access being difficult in Sicily. It certainly wasn’t in the area where I was. What I said is that teenage boys spend their time bombing around on their motorbikes.

Others may have a long standing issue with RCMP, and this investigation is an opportunity to exaggerate facts in order to find fault.

As for the botanist - a man in his 60s who very likely listens to the news and who could very well have been aware of the murders - he probably thought that murder happens to other people, not him.
I like most of your posts, but do not understand the reason for such an aggressive attack on legitimate criticism.

RCMP made a serious mistake at RAV4 site on July 22 evening and July 23 morning. They went back in the past 24 hours.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/gillam-rcmp-searchers-find-item-1.5242840

You can't declare that Prof. Dyck already knew about the murders in Liard River area, and still decided to camp at Stikine River.

...considers himself above all that mundane stuff, on a mission (which isn't yet revealed to him, as teen missions are often mysteries even to the teen).

Yes, it's definitely cultural - but notice how you started out with geography and ecosystem, basically. Those things underpin culture. Lack of internet access in Sicily is a significant feature of social life (and true for the Greek islands as well), but on Vancouver Island, not so much. As relatively middle class kids, K/B had internet access. The infrastructure and technology are key in providing culture its framework.

Would LOVE to hear your brother's insights. I've been around PA on google maps (definitely not like LA, but not too dissimilar from, say, parts of Riverside or San Bernardino Counties - or the Central Valley of California). In fact, it really looks like a Central Valley town (but absent the agriculture). It's probably really boring for teens.

Those with internet access have the world as their oyster (or so they think).

Cell phones are not the standard teen equipment in Sicily either (or most parts of Italy, as far as I can tell). I bet they are pretty common in middle class homes on Vancouver Island, though.
I love your posts, by the way.

Case in point: the people in Gillam/Split Lake/Fox Lake. Families and young children were itching to get back out of doors.

I can't find them right now, but this morning I saw two new videos. One was of the Mayor of Gillam expressing how glad he was that his townspeople could go back outside again. He'd organized a few BBQs during the search so that families could get back to what they enjoy doing during the few summer weeks.

No one in that area said "Gotta stay inside? Great! More online game time!" because up there, they still put more value on family / outdoor time.

Families have returned to Gillam in the past few years to get away from the kind of culture you've described. It was so refreshing to read about and view the videos about how they're "returning to normal" up there.

They do say "air soft."

Yes, but it's a category of gun that I do not believe this particular gun falls into. I could be wrong. "Air soft" for game play has a reduced muzzle velocity. But, people selling "air soft" don't care what it's called when they sell it. Dozens of online sellers do ban "Canada" and its postal codes from delivery, but ebay sellers do not.

No one from RCMP has said the Bryer had a gun of any kind, and whether it was air soft or air gun. My point is that Bryer's dad (like almost everyone) calls all air-propelled weaponry "air soft," but Canada's legal codes do not.

RCMP said "gun violence" and that would include, IMO, air guns.

I do think most people could not tell you which muzzle velocity etc. belongs to which group. If it uses "air" it's a possible "airsoft." I didn't realize until two days ago that two of our "airsoft" guns actually accept both plastic and metal pellets. They are higher muzzle speed than what they should be, to be called "airsoft" but the person who gave them to me called them "airsoft."

Bryer's gun could very well be an air gun. He didn't purchase it, his dad did. And we don't know where.

I have a sincere question for posters here. I am honestly curious how posters feel.
At this this point, given all the chasing that occurred, all the manpower devoted, and the subsequent apparent deaths of the 2 suspected killers, do postersthink the RCMP is at present in an unbiased and independent position in trying to link the boys to the couple’s murders? I am casting no aspersions one way or the other here, I just wonder what people think.
I've found this case to be very strange right from the beginning. The RCMP flipped on the case from missing person to murder case fairly quickly. Then they started building a case in the media by showing how at least one of them may have sympathized with Nazis and such. I felt we were being prepared for the eventuality of not seeing them captured alive.
Now, I can see them possibly tying Leonard Dyck's murder to KM and BS, although I have yet to see footage of them actually in the RAV4 that apparently was Dyck's - a fact that took the police quite a while to share with the public. The RCMP haven't been able to solve a lot of murders on the highway of tears, but yet they are able to quickly connect the murder of Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese to KM and BS? Seems odd those two would commit a murder, hang around the area for 4 days, then murder Dyck (which I think they've backtracked on the manner of death), then take off, not going on a further murder spree. Why even burn their pickup truck? Why not just keep driving that pickup truck to Manitoba?
Going back to where KM and BS bodies were found: They were saying they must have walked through 8km of bush from the burning car? But then you look at the map, if they were found near the (north)shore of the Nelson River, that means they would have taken that boat downstream. Nobody seems to question the way the boat was damaged? That definitely wasn't from smashing rocks, that was caused by something heavy being dropped in the middle of the boat. I'm not even sure if that could happen in the water, if it had to have been suspended at either end on something, then the weight dropped in the middle. Anyway, if they did find the undamaged boat, it makes more sense that they floated downstream, and they abandoned the boat, climbed the cliff(?) and were found in the bush there. I don't know why they make it sound like they walked there.
The whole case just seems very odd. I'm guessing they'll hope the public interest wanes in the case, and it'll just be closed up without the proof connecting the murders to the pair being shared with the public.

If you want to start looking ...
Chynna Deese left Charlotte, NC on July 6.
Jeffrey Epstein was arrested on July 6.
I'm not sure if the two are related, but I've had suspicions that Fowler and Deese were definitely targeted for something they were connected to, not just a random thrill kill. We don't have detailed background info on either.

I've found this case to be very strange right from the beginning. The RCMP flipped on the case from missing person to murder case fairly quickly. Then they started building a case in the media by showing how at least one of them may have sympathized with Nazis and such. I felt we were being prepared for the eventuality of not seeing them captured alive.
Now, I can see them possibly tying Leonard Dyck's murder to KM and BS, although I have yet to see footage of them actually in the RAV4 that apparently was Dyck's - a fact that took the police quite a while to share with the public. The RCMP haven't been able to solve a lot of murders on the highway of tears, but yet they are able to quickly connect the murder of Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese to KM and BS? Seems odd those two would commit a murder, hang around the area for 4 days, then murder Dyck (which I think they've backtracked on the manner of death), then take off, not going on a further murder spree. Why even burn their pickup truck? Why not just keep driving that pickup truck to Manitoba?
Going back to where KM and BS bodies were found: They were saying they must have walked through 8km of bush from the burning car? But then you look at the map, if they were found near the (north)shore of the Nelson River, that means they would have taken that boat downstream. Nobody seems to question the way the boat was damaged? That definitely wasn't from smashing rocks, that was caused by something heavy being dropped in the middle of the boat. I'm not even sure if that could happen in the water, if it had to have been suspended at either end on something, then the weight dropped in the middle. Anyway, if they did find the undamaged boat, it makes more sense that they floated downstream, and they abandoned the boat, climbed the cliff(?) and were found in the bush there. I don't know why they make it sound like they walked there.
The whole case just seems very odd. I'm guessing they'll hope the public interest wanes in the case, and it'll just be closed up without the proof connecting the murders to the pair being shared with the public.
In one of the RCMP videos I saw last night, they said they were trying to retrace their steps along a creek bed to the location. If you go from where the RAV4 was found and follow the creek bed, it looks like they could get at least 75% to where they were found.

Dozens of online sellers do ban "Canada" and its postal codes from delivery, but ebay sellers do not.

<modsnip - personalizing> it is highly unlikely that an illegal gun from an eBay seller in the US will get through. You’d have to be pretty stupid to even try it. There is also zero reason to believe that Schmegelsky Sr. would try to import a gun illegally. Frankly, he’s rather more likely to have purchased it in Port Alberni.

In one of the RCMP videos I saw last night, they said they were trying to retrace their steps along a creek bed to the location. If you go from where the RAV4 was found and follow the creek bed, it looks like they could get at least 75% to where they were found.
Which creek bed? Do you mean the shoreline of the Nelson River? It looks like there are quite a few places where are other rivers flowing into the Nelson, you'd need to wade through water.
I'm looking at the map of where the car was found and the boat, I wonder if they were stopping at the Sundance Camp? And then walked through there and onto the boat? The map is in this news article:
B.C. murder suspects Bryer Schmegelsky, Kam McLeod believed to be dead

I would upvote you multiple times, if I could (and thanks for distracting me from the gun issue). So many questions.

The extreme quickness of finding suspects in this case (consistent, really, with the demands of an international case, wherein other big LE agencies from other nations are involved) is strange, compared to the Highway of Tears.

Does that mean that they never used the boat?

General thoughts were he misspoke but if he was indeed burned, perhaps partial burns?
He wasn't burned. The Stikine River lookout is so exposed that the fire would have been noticed long before the truck fire.

I did not want to speculate, but recall reading about him being run over. The police was told about "a body" on the lookout by a passing driver, so it wasn't unrecognizable.

I would upvote you multiple times, if I could (and thanks for distracting me from the gun issue). So many questions.

The extreme quickness of finding suspects in this case (consistent, really, with the demands of an international case, wherein other big LE agencies from other nations are involved) is strange, compared to the Highway of Tears.
Yes, how they went from bungling so many murders in that area, to being able to so quickly pin these murders on KM and BS. They never explained also why the supposed truck they were driving was missing the camper. I think I've read they insist the camper was there, but you can clearly see in the photos it's not. Is it invisible? It certainly didn't burn, so why is the camper missing? Also, manner of death for Dyck, at first they said nothing, then I believe they said gun shot, then after KM and BS were found, they said they don't want to talk about Dyck's manner of death out of respect for the family. And now they are saying they are working hard to get the evidence that connects Fowler & Deese murders to KM & BS, when it sounded initially like they were so certain. Very strange.

Last edited:
Wondering what was different about this found item from the other ones?
RCMP find item that may be connected to McLeod and Schmegelsky investigation
August 10, 2019 5:44PM EDT
"GILLAM, Man. - RCMP say they've found an item that could be relevant to their investigation into two murder suspects whose bodies they believe they located earlier in the week."
"He did not say what the item found Friday was, but says it “may be of interest to the investigation” and “will have to be examined to determine its relevance.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01