Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't have it both ways!

RCMP may very well have provided the information to the investigative reporter but would not go on record.

I believe they were confident in their source to report it just as they reported Lucas and Chynna shot without confirmation from RCMP.

MOO

BBM

That is not how RCMP operate at all. IMO there’s absolutely no chance of the scenario you suggest.

It seems that AS is the public scapegoat for every element of his son's formation and behavior. Perhaps he is easy to blame because he has put himself out there in front of the cameras, which was his choice.

In case we forget, BS lived with his mother and her partner for a good number of years before he moved in with his grandmother. There are a lot of dynamics at play in those situations, combined with who knows what in the way of developmental issues. We have no information about critical developmental issues.

I doubt very much that one parent is entirely to blame for his child's actions, or for this whole unfortunate situation. This may be a case of a "perfect storm", where everything that could go wrong did go wrong in a child's life. There are other children in the world like this. I have my own idea about one developmental issue that could be involved, but it's not based on enough information.

There were two young men who did whatever they did together. They are responsible for their actions. Both of them. This was their decision. One family or one family member is not solely responsible for this situation. Finances and socioeconomic circumstances don't make one family culpable and the other not. Developmental issues, if there are any, do not discriminate based on social standing.

If not that extreme, things can be, at the very least, purchased more cheaply.

AS lives in Victoria I believe. I’ve never taken the ferry from Victoria to Seattle so can’t speak to how stringent the customs officers are, and I’m sure it has ratcheted up quite a bit over the past 18 years. But it isn’t a difficult thing to go over to the US for a day to grab some cheaper, American items.

We used to do it all the time when I went to school in Kingston, Ontario, across to Watertown or even Syracuse, NY.

Yes there is that option but the dollar is brutal for Canadian shoppers and I don’t think AS would also have the means for the cost of gas and possibly a reliable vehicle, even if it is a short drive, getting stuck with mechanical issues in the US would be a whole other headache. If he even has a valid passport.

When I heard about the cologne I thought to myself I hope he kept the receipt so he can get his money back. I think it would be much cheaper and accessible (socio status) to buy these things from those that steal them tho.

It seems that AS is the public scapegoat for every element of his son's formation and behavior. Perhaps he is easy to blame because he has put himself out there in front of the cameras, which was his choice.

In case we forget, BS lived with his mother and her partner for a good number of years before he moved in with his grandmother. There are a lot of dynamics at play in those situations, combined with who knows what in the way of developmental issues. We have no information about critical developmental issues.

I doubt very much that one parent is entirely to blame for his child's actions, or for this whole unfortunate situation. This may be a case of a "perfect storm", where everything that could go wrong did go wrong in a child's life. There are other children in the world like this. I have my own idea about one developmental issue that could be involved, but it's not based on enough information.

There were two young men who did whatever they did together. They are responsible for their actions. Both of them. This was their decision. One family or one family member is not solely responsible for this situation. Finances and socioeconomic circumstances don't make one family culpable and the other not. Developmental issues, if there are any, do not discriminate based on social standing.
I agree that AS is being unfairly singled out by the media, probably because he does put himself out there. But ultimately, whatever Kam and Bryer did, that's on them. Not their families.

'I didn't meet that monster': Father of Canada teen killer speaks out

Aug 11, 2019

The father of Bryer Schmegelsky – the teenager accused of killing three people, including Australian man Lucas Fowler – has spoken out for the first time since the bodies of his son and fellow fugitive Kam McLeod were discovered in far-north Canada.

In the exclusive 60 Minutes interview, Alan Schmegelsky said the loss of his 18-year-old son is "heartbreaking" despite the disturbing crimes he is accused of committing in his final weeks.

"You may think he's a monster but he's my son, he's my Bryer," an emotional Schmegelsky told 60 Minutes reporter Sarah Abo.

"I didn't meet that monster… that's not who I know."

[...]

"At least I know where he is, his troubles are over, I'm sad that he felt he had to take that road trip."

Bryer Schmegelsky and his best friend, 19-year-old Kam McLeod were wanted over the deaths of three people, including Australian man Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend, Chynna Deese.

On July 15, Fowler and Deese were found shot dead by the side of a remote highway.

Schmegelsky and McLeod were connected to the murders after the body of local university Professor Leonard Dyck was found over 470km away in regional far-north Canada, four days later.

[...]

Schmegelsky said his son was quiet and spent most of his time online gaming with his friends.

"He was raised by YouTube and video games," Schmegelsky says, and admits his son's childhood was challenging.

"He had a lot of time with very little attention given to him and I know that," Schmegelsky said.

"He could have had a better upbringing."

[...]

"I never gave him a real gun. I never gave him a gun that would kill someone."

Despite the evidence against his son, Schmegelsky is struggling to come to terms with the fact Bryer died as one of the most wanted - and hated - men in Canada.

But he still wants more proof before he'll truly believe his son is a killer.

"We'll never know the answer. Everyone's so quick to judge… he might be a victim in all of this for all we know," he told Abo.

"I'm not going to say my son is a murderer until I get some facts."

in the last text message on July 12 to Bryer, AS mentions a $100 bottle of cologne he had just picked up for BS.
I was also quite puzzled by the cologne delivery offer, because AS appeared to know where "there" was.

The timestamps of those texts sort of Lucas/Chynna murder timeline. I actually wondered if there was an alternate communication method, and these texts were for alibi.

While what you are saying it true, it's also true that the RCMP have not confirmed this information. Also, the article does not give a source. It is surprisingly common for news organizations to make mistakes in their articles, and I've seen quite a few errors in the Australian articles. I'm taking this information as unconfirmed at this point.

Aus 9News reported this info not long after LDs body was identified, it was pointed out to me at that time that this particular news source was not considered reliable. All links to that early article have since been removed, FWIW. This leads me to believe it may have been incorrect information.
Hard to know what to believe anymore. JMO

It was the smirk that got me too! I'd have to rewatch the piece, but I think if she had asked the same questions with a more neutral facial expression, it wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way.
Or showing some sort of compassion. She should ask questions with concern in her voice and have it evident on her face, for example:
"This must be so hard for you, as a parent, ...." etc. etc.

I agree that he should have been part of a gun club and that would have been the best route for a teen gun lover (I know several, some of them definitely quite troubled during their teens; gun club was a real benefit to them). However, I think you're overestimating B's social abilities. Apparently, he didn't fit in anywhere. Although he was polite to adults, it doesn't sound like he did a lot of activities that brought him into consistent contact with adults (alternative school can mean way less social interaction, mostly one-on-one in many cases, not the way to learn the ropes of actual adult social interaction). Gun club members don't brook any nonsense whatsoever, IME. Almost any kid can be polite to an adult when it gets them something, but over time, cracks appear in that demeanor if the kid is truly as troubled as I think BS was.

Did anyone figure out what model the expensive air soft gun was? What its fps might be? Does it really qualify as an "airsoft" gun under Canadian law or is it classified as a gun? I'm still betting that something that expensive was in the so-called "sniper" class and was well over the 500 fps that gets it qualified, under Canadian law as an "air gun" rather a toy gun. At that price, it's consistent with the highest velocity air guns on the market, and those often come with the extras shown in the pictures.

Air Guns - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

MOO

Do you have a good image of the airsoft that Bryer had?

I agree that he should have been part of a gun club and that would have been the best route for a teen gun lover (I know several, some of them definitely quite troubled during their teens; gun club was a real benefit to them). However, I think you're overestimating B's social abilities. Apparently, he didn't fit in anywhere. Although he was polite to adults, it doesn't sound like he did a lot of activities that brought him into consistent contact with adults (alternative school can mean way less social interaction, mostly one-on-one in many cases, not the way to learn the ropes of actual adult social interaction). Gun club members don't brook any nonsense whatsoever, IME. Almost any kid can be polite to an adult when it gets them something, but over time, cracks appear in that demeanor if the kid is truly as troubled as I think BS was.

Did anyone figure out what model the expensive air soft gun was? What its fps might be? Does it really qualify as an "airsoft" gun under Canadian law or is it classified as a gun? I'm still betting that something that expensive was in the so-called "sniper" class and was well over the 500 fps that gets it qualified, under Canadian law as an "air gun" rather a toy gun. At that price, it's consistent with the highest velocity air guns on the market, and those often come with the extras shown in the pictures.

Air Guns - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

MOO

As far as I’m concerned, it’s obvious that this Airsoft is what Alan Schmegelsky says it is and that you are beating a dead horse with this theory that you keep pushing that Alan Schmegelsky purchased an illegal gun.

There are in fact many legal Airsofts in that price range, and accessories boost the price quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an interview with a lawyer who also said that the cause of death was not released. Dr Dyck's body was found 2 km from the suspects' burning truck. I suppose some people missed that detail and assumed that he was burned with the truck.

There is no information about how he died.
According to RCMP, Dyck family didn't want the public to know all the details, so probably some cruelty was involved, in addition to gunshot.

If they were indeed using a .22 rifle, they may have resorted to additional violence to ensure death. So actual cause of death will be complex.

Yes, I'm sure it was! I think Bryer still probably had some underlying resentment toward his father, too, though they ostensibly were getting along. I noticed that he didn't bother telling his dad they were leaving on the 12th, despite knowing that would have been when he would come to visit, though at the very least, the day before he was telling his great-uncle and grandma he was leaving. That struck me as quite rude--I would never do that to my dad, but he and I are very close. It seemed really passive-aggressive to me, actually.

Edited to add: He also apparently responded to messages from grandma early in the trip but never even viewed his father's attempts to contact him.
He can get more stuff from dad by being angry at him.

I agree that AS is being unfairly singled out by the media, probably because he does put himself out there. But ultimately, whatever Kam and Bryer did, that's on them. Not their families.
I agree and I'm glad he put her on the spot by asking if she had children or siblings. It's true, you don't know what they're going to do.

I was also quite puzzled by the cologne delivery offer, because AS appeared to know where "there" was.

The timestamps of those texts sort of Lucas/Chynna murder timeline. I actually wondered if there was an alternate communication method, and these texts were for alibi.

The “there” comment to me was a demonstration that the dad was frustrated with the limited info as to where BS was going. Like maybe he had heard from the grandmother a different destination. Like he was calling bs on the abrupt departure, especially because they had plans to connect and the son left him with what appears to be no real explanation or apology for bailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdc_fm