Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries--it's been several days since it was reported on. :)

I remember seeing pictures of her demonstrating the gestures she witnessed but am not 100% sure where. This case has so many twists and turns!

There's something else I vaguely thought I gathered, but need confirmation that it's a real fact not rumor. Was the upset bearded man near the couple's van standing in the road or in the middle of the highway?

Yes. He mentioned he is in contact with lead investigators, for this case. I will look for the interview and his name now. Then ask permission.

yes but there's a distinction that I was commenting on
a criminal journalist is a different thing than a crime journalist

Ah, okay. I knew his father issued a brief letter and thought maybe I had missed something else from their family, which honestly wouldn't be surprising considering how much coverage there has been.

But I am surprised at how much from people outside their families have talked about Bryer but nothing really about Kam.

I honestly think it was the camo. People latched onto that.

Wait. Are we seriously criticizing these people for not immediately adhering to some obscure highway regulation when they determined their vehicle wasn't working?

There are a lot of variables at play. Like the fact that Lucas probably tried to fix it. Because he knew how to do that. Or maybe because after that failed they decided to sleep in the vehicle overnight before trying to get assistance?

Lack of cell phone service is absolutely a reason not to immediately act regarding a disabled vehicle. So is be ability to do repair work on one's own.

Rhetorical question but why is there always so much criticism in cases like this? Criticism of victims, LE, volunteers, witnesses.

What the point of it?
I know I’m coming in late on these comments. But had they left the vehicle to find a house and a phone and been eaten by a bear, some of the same people criticizing them for staying put for the night would instead be criticizing them for not staying put.

I’ve been in a broke down vehicle in the mountains in Tennessee before we had cell phones. And I remember how scary it actually was to go find help. Sometimes I think we’re lucky to be alive after accepting the ride we did in order to call AAA.

It’s not always clear which risk is the best one to take when stuff like this happens because every option, without a working phone, carries some amount of risk.

Thanks for BC traffic cam links. Dease Lake camera would have shown exact time of red truck with camper passing through on July 19.

RCMP would have checked if same truck was seen on Alaska Highway on July 14/15.

yes but there's a distinction that I was commenting on
a criminal journalist is a different thing than a crime journalist

It was a female broadcaster filling in for Charles Adler - Global News Radio. Of course when I'm now looking for it, there is much to wade through. I will find it.

It was a female broadcaster filling in for Charles Adler - Global News Radio. Of course when I'm now looking for it, there is much to wade through. I will find it.

I keep trying to go back to find things and it's crazy!
At this point I wish I would have saved everything into very well organized folders.

Note also how "suspicious" death is mentioned without further explanation.
<rsbm>

Not really suspicious ... simply how the system works in determining Manner of Death (MOD). There are 5 classifications of MOD:

Natural, accident, suicide, homicide, undetermined (or pending if not immediately able to be determined for whatever reason)

Cause of Death (COD) can be a multitude of things (i.e. aneurysm, strangulation, knife wounds, gunshot wounds, poisoning, etc)

So initially "suspicious" was two deceased people lying in a ditch with visible blood. (IOW, for example, could be accidental, having died from carbon monoxide poisoning, crawled to ditch, possibly wildlife caused pre or post mortem injury resulting in blood and death). Subsequent examination by a Coroner however determines that Cause of Death was gunshot wounds and the Manner of Death is then classified as homicide.

It was initially reported that he was standing on the road.
My recollection from several sources was of a man standing in the middle of the road, with both arms positioned as if he was frustrated.

Lucas was interacting with the man. The man's older Jeep Cherokee was parked some distance away, on the other side.

Since there are traffic cams on the route, RCMP probably checked matching vehicles against the witness account.

I know I’m coming in late on these comments. But had they left the vehicle to find a house and a phone and been eaten by a bear, some of the same people criticizing them for staying put for the night would instead be criticizing them for not staying put.

I’ve been in a broke down vehicle in the mountains in Tennessee before we had cell phones. And I remember how scary it actually was to go find help. Sometimes I think we’re lucky to be alive after accepting the ride we did in order to call AAA.

It’s not always clear which risk is the best one to take when stuff like this happens because every option, without a working phone, carries some amount of risk.

I don't think anyone thinks that they should have started hiking around looking for a house. They had options such as an offer of help from a mechanic, or getting a message to someone. They were happy where they were and did not want help.

Was listening to a Canadian (msm) radio podcast the other day, and the criminal journalist who was being interviewed did say the suv found burning in Gillum was Prof. Dyke's.

Been working and need to catch up on everyone's thoughts. If I find the interview on the radio station website can I post the link? I don't want to post anything that isn't allowed.
Yes please. Post it.

My recollection from several sources was of a man standing in the middle of the road, with both arms positioned as if he was frustrated.

Lucas was interacting with the man. The man's older Jeep Cherokee was parked some distance away, on the other side.

Since there are traffic cams on the route, RCMP probably checked matching vehicles against the witness account.

Ah-ha, some sources did report the man was standing IN the middle of the road. That puts a much more curious spin on it for me. Thanks.

As the o/p only referenced the Daily Telegraph in the text of post with no actual link, I'm making the above, consistent, report by Mechanic and his wife the gospel on the van's breakdown.

The Broughton's statements have not wavered in print or in video during numerous accounts.

I'm quite certain the Mr. Broughton would have counseled Lucas on the nearest shop capable of replacing a cracked cylinder, and helped him arrange for the towing. This also could have been the end of their journey-- at least in that vehicle.

They left the couple confident they had things under control.

I think they are solid witnesses.

MOO

And we don’t know who else might’ve contacted police but chose not to speak to the media. Because if CD attempted to stop the woman requesting mechanical or some other type of assistance at 4pm, then what occurred after 4pm? No other motorists stopped until the bearded man was sighted at 11:30pm? That’s seven and a half hours, a significant gap in time we know nothing about.

July 17th
“Two adults were found deceased on the Alaska Highway 20 kilometres south of Liard Hot Springs. Police would like to speak to anyone that may have travelled this stretch of highway between Sunday, July 14, 2019, at 4:00 PM and Monday, July 15, 2019, at 8:00 AM.

Police would especially like to speak with anyone who may have a Dashcam video while travelling that area...”
Investigation of suspicious deaths near Liard Hot Springs continues - Energeticcity.ca

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

There were no traffic cams near the blue van location. But RCMP would have checked multiple cameras on the Alaska Highway to make a list of ALL vehicles in the 4PM to 8AM timeframe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member