Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
not being from Canada it is hard to understand why a hwy worker is great to watch the crime scene until LE gets there, but when hwy worker sees broken down van they just drive on. didn't the lady hwy worker see the van and the man and grey jeep? I think that is where the sketch came from.

It is so sad because you can call CAA and sign up over the phone for a yearly membership, and they will come out and tow you at membership rates. Back in the days before cell phones existed, I remember breaking down coming back from Tofino. Someone gave us a lift into Port Alberni and had a tow truck drive us back to our car and tow it into where we got it repaired.
CAA will only tow you so far depending on the card you have

Sure. If I use the word "probably" it's clearly an opinion, not a fact.

What facts need links?

Your quote;

Twenty minutes later, this same man's wife drove by and the couple were still stranded on the side of the highway. She had a car full of relatives and did not feel safe stopping on the highway because there was oncoming traffic in both directions. She contacted RCMP and notified them about the van at the side of the highway. We know that RCMP were 4 hours away, and they probably assumed that by the time they checked out the van, it would be gone.

I haven't come across anything that stated that woman contacted the RCMP to tell them about the couple with the broken down van.

I have also not come across any reason to believe the RCMP assumed the broken down van would resolve itself.

1) Proof that woman actually contacted the RCMP about "the van on the side of the highway". Even a story about it?

2) Proof the RCMP neglected this call and failed to look into the couple broken down on the side of the highway.

There were no traffic cams near the blue van location. But RCMP would have checked multiple cameras on the Alaska Highway to make a list of ALL vehicles in the 4PM to 8AM timeframe.

Yes and any vehicles sighted at each of the traffic cams immediately before and after the blue van’s location, going either direction, would be key to the investigation because those motorists would’ve been in the direct area.

JMO the truck and camper was one of them and later than the bearded man.

Using those two points and an average speed limit, LE could also determine any vehicles that took longer to get from point A to point B, potentially indicating a stopping point occurred in between.

not being from Canada it is hard to understand why a hwy worker is great to watch the crime scene until LE gets there, but when hwy worker sees broken down van they just drive on. didn't the lady hwy worker see the van and the man and grey jeep? I think that is where the sketch came from.

I keep hearing about a jeep, where did you hear this? Link to report? I keep coming up empty. Thanks

geesh... now no maps, no camping gear. Can we rely on anything that has been reported?
This is really unsettling especially the fact they were wearing different clothes.....so everyone is looking for Bryer in his 2plus week camouflage clothes and they were wearing something else! geesh

Chynna got up out of her chair and waived.

Whether I’m on my front porch or sitting on the side of the road, I only get up to waive if I wish the person to stop. For a casual waive, I stay seated. This is what I’ve observed my entire life with people.

If the woman who couldn’t stop hadn’t thought they needed help she would not have called it in.

I think the fact that they were at the side of the road meant they needed help, all by itself (whether casual or not casual wave). If I really needed help, myself, I'd stand near the road and try and flag someone down (which may be what happened later). The passing woman with a full car might have thought the same.

I've known people in remote areas to go and unload their cars and go back, though. My dad did stuff like that, I've done it once, and know several people who got help in that manner.

I do have a question though (especially for the locals). We keep hearing down in the lower 48 that Northern BC and on up toward Alaska has had a lot of deaths by the side of the road. Is that true? Homicide rates in BC are lower than the US average, so you guys seem so safe to me. But...are there more homicides along the road? Is that your perception (it's pretty common idea here, probably due to MSM keeping that in view (www.vice.com for example).

Here's how NY Post is framing it:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/young-couple-was-killed-near-canadas-infamous-highway-of-tears/

Last edited:
I haven't found any such information.

A couple things; a woman sees a vehicle on the side of the road, a totally normal occurrence, and contacts the highest form of LE within the country?

Second; "We know that RCMP were 4 hours away, and they probably assumed that by the time they checked out the van, it would be gone."

No we don't know that. We have no idea what if anything they did assume if they were contacted at all. I feel that's cheapening their commitment to their civil duty.

In my experience LE do not take calls lightly. Be it some kids getting high in the park or someone looking like they're about to commit a serious offense. Being as the RCMP is the LE in this part of our country I'm going to reason with they would have taken it seriously and responded in person in some way. The RCMP does not assume. If these last few days have taught us nothing else.

I'm not going to be made to believe they "assumed" the issue would fix itself nor that they refused to respond to a valid call.

None of this is meant personally. I just do not believe these statements and I would appreciate links to substantiate them.
It was made very clear to me early on when I asked a bunch of questions about how this area is policed that RCMP are the only ones with jurisdiction in this area and are the ones to be called regarding any little thing you might need the authorities for. I was told that they are not acting in a federal capacity in these lesser situations, but rather as the local authority.

Yeah I have quite a few screen shots and notes from things posted on Twitter, etc. ....read through EVERY article and have watched every video I can find, whether it be a legit source or not. I am trying to take it all in and sift through, but it's so convoluted now I can't even keep up.

Yes indeed, it’s to the point that for almost every “fact” found in the media, it’s possible to find one to the contrary.

I found this information in a post today (July 30th, 2019) from a McLean's article.

"Fox Lake residents Billy and Tamara Beardy noticed the billowing black smoke while out berry picking nearby. The region is prone to forest fires, so they went to see whether they should call a conservation officer. But it was the burning vehicle, which had been pushed into the ditch. For nearly an hour, the couple sat there in their truck, doors unlocked. Billy guesses it had been burning for no more than 15 minutes. Tamara says that when they went back to the vehicle a day later, responders had flipped it over. Sardine cans, propane bottles, forks, orange peels, pork chops, money, tools and keys littered the road."

Here's the link to the article: A mysterious sighting in the Manitoba manhunt—and then the trail goes cold - Macleans.ca

Addendum: Another article link describing what Bill and Tamara Beardy saw the next day: RCMP broaden search for suspects wanted in B.C. killings to York Landing, Man.

"When they pulled the charred Toyota out of the ditch, they found cans of sardines, small propane bottles, forks, orange peels, loose change and partially eaten pork chops, said Ms. Beardy, who had returned to the scene."

So, now the food is described as "partially eaten", and money is actually called "loose change", lol.

Just wanting to clarify two, different write-ups.

I'm gobsmacked to read the list of items that the residents noted littered the roadway the next day when the vehicle had been flipped over by responders. Just wanted to share this odd bit of information.

Last edited:
Im not sure why we are still discussing or even questioning why they were sleeping/stranded on the side of the Alaksa highway, or why they were in an old vehicle.. it happens, that stretch of highway as all other northern stretches of highway in canada are baron, miles and miles of nothing but vast scenic areas which for the majority of tourists and people heading that way is the drawing card for them. Little cell service, unpopulated areas gas stations hundreds of miles apart and just the peace and quiet os what many go for. Sad to think that this part of the world has come to not being safe minding your own business and enjoying life.

Last edited:
Was listening to a Canadian (msm) radio podcast the other day, and the criminal journalist who was being interviewed did say the suv found burning in Gillum was Prof. Dyke's.

Been working and need to catch up on everyone's thoughts. If I find the interview on the radio station website can I post the link? I don't want to post anything that isn't allowed.

If the journalist was the only source for this detail, then there is a reasonable chance the journalist made an assumption about the ownership, rather than that she or he was privy to accurate information.

Your quote;

Twenty minutes later, this same man's wife drove by and the couple were still stranded on the side of the highway. She had a car full of relatives and did not feel safe stopping on the highway because there was oncoming traffic in both directions. She contacted RCMP and notified them about the van at the side of the highway. We know that RCMP were 4 hours away, and they probably assumed that by the time they checked out the van, it would be gone.

I haven't come across anything that stated that woman contacted the RCMP to tell them about the couple with the broken down van.

I have also not come across any reason to believe the RCMP assumed the broken down van would resolve itself.

1) Proof that woman actually contacted the RCMP about "the van on the side of the highway". Even a story about it?

2) Proof the RCMP neglected this call and failed to look into the couple broken down on the side of the highway.
I don’t have the link, but just to piggyback off this post, it’s a good time to ask - do we have a media thread for this case? I’m asking anyone, not necessarily you. Because I know I read what Otto states very early on, that she contacted RCMP, but I’ve got no idea where to begin looking for it.

Your quote;

Kinda crazy if there was traffic coming from both sides that not one of said people would not stop to help.

Chynna got up out of her chair and waived.

Whether I’m on my front porch or sitting on the side of the road, I only get up to waive if I wish the person to stop. For a casual waive, I stay seated. This is what I’ve observed my entire life with people.

If the woman who couldn’t stop hadn’t thought they needed help she would not have called it in.

Interesting! I hadn't thought of body language and what that meant. I think you're right. If she stood up to wave to a woman driving by, that is different. I guess that's how the woman in the car understood it as well. She called RCMP.

When I first heard abour the 4PM call, I became really interested in knowing when police received the first call about the victims, when they responded, how long it took for them to get there.

Regarding times that RCMP were called, I see discrepancy. The first call was at 4PM on July 14. Going from memory, I thought the trucker called it in around 5AM July 15 and waited at the van until the road worker arrived. The third call was at 7:19AM. I'm guessing that was the road worker.

What time did the RCMP arrive? Did they arrive at 9AM, 4 hours after the first call, or at 1120AM, 4 hours after the road worker confirmed the trucker?

Didn't the road worker say he was there for 4 hours, or was he only there for 2 hours? If RCMP rushed to the scene at 5AM, Pierre would be at the scene for 2 hours. Does anyone remember the interview with the trucker, where he said that he made sure they had his name? What time was he at the scene?

Yeah that is interesting that she felt the need to call the RCMP. If I couldn’t stop for someone, my first thing would not be to call police. The next person will likely stop is the way it usually works. I wonder if she had a feeling something was really wrong?

And I don’t see why the police would go to a broken down vehicle, it’s so common and nothing that usually requires police assistance.

If they were out in the middle of nowhere (even if it was summer tourist time) a passing motorist who chooses not to stop might think I'm gonna call LE, just in case.

I'm in the US, southwest mountains. Some of our roads and areas are very desolate, even if they are within just a few miles of a frequently inhabited area. MOO

RCMP were 4 hours away, someone had to do it. Maybe that road worker was only 1 hour away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp.52203