Found Deceased Canada - May Milling, 81, Jasper, AB, 2 Sept 2010

Thanks for the map. Some parts of the route look quite steep. I turned on the pictures on google maps and saw some photos of the road with very steep inclines and no guard rails. I pray she didn't go over the side of the road along the way. I wonder what the foliage is like in that area now and how difficult it would be for a helicopter to spot her car.

If you click on the orange man and walk down the road it gives you an idea of the foliage. Depending on where she went off the road it would be difficult to see from the air. I think their best bet is to get volunteers out there and cover the entire route. Time is running out if she is injured and trapped in her car somewhere.

“It’s about 400 kilometers. It’s quite a fairly rugged area and the highway winds quite a bit, but we had the helicopter up. We had two sweeps. We had RCMP members and Parks Canada people go through there in their respective areas trying to check every possible place where a vehicle could make it into. No luck finding the vehicle or her,” he said. “It could, obviously, be resumed at a moment’s notice if something comes up that says she is still in that area, but right now we have nothing outside of the fact that she was due in Kamloops.”

Webb said there is nothing to suggest foul play and RCMP are treating Milling as a missing person.

Webb said Milling has a cell phone, which appears to not be activated and her vehicle was equipped with OnStar, which the company has not been able to locate.

http://www.coastreporter.net/articl...HELT/rcmp-searching-for-missing-gibsons-woman

why, why, why are these elderly people taking long trips alone?!

come home safe May!

Are there any waterways anywhere along the route she drove, such as a creek, lake, pond, or river?

Also, are there any rest areas along the route?

Are there any waterways anywhere along the route she drove, such as a creek, lake, pond, or river?

Also, are there any rest areas along the route?

59283_129910397056314_100001120622920_158297_5080764_n.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...24,-118.908463&spn=0.064434,0.132351&t=h&z=13

Wow. That map really shows her route to be both a very beautiful scenic and a treacherous one.
Is this the only route?

Wow. That map really shows her route to be both a very beautiful scenic and a treacherous one.
Is this the only route?

Highway 16 to 5 is the best route but there would be secondary roads she could take.

Based on what I'm seeing with the pics, I fear this doesn't look good at all. I fear that a sudden medical emergency occurred while she was driving and her car went off the roadway.

Her car could be deep down in an embankment or ravine covered by many trees or rocks, or her car could be underwater.

Either one of these scenarios could be the possible cause why On-Star isn't working from her car.

One thought here. Is On-Star like a cell phone? Does On-Star gives off a ping that could give authorities an idea where her last gps location was when she was driving?

Is this the only route?

The secondary roads are mostly no more than detours all eventually leading back to the main highway and taking any of these would all cost significant extra time. There are no time saving shortcuts. All services such as restrooms, snacks, fuel, etc, are available directly off the highway. Although it is a long distance between towns and services.

Based on what I'm seeing with the pics, I fear this doesn't look good at all. I fear that a sudden medical emergency occurred while she was driving and her car went off the roadway.

Her car could be deep down in an embankment or ravine covered by many trees or rocks, or her car could be underwater.

Either one of these scenarios could be the possible cause why On-Star isn't working from her car.

One thought here. Is On-Star like a cell phone? Does On-Star gives off a ping that could give authorities an idea where her last gps location was when she was driving?

bbm

That is a good question. I have been reading info on onstar ever since I read that she had it but they still couldn't locate her. I am going to try and find that answer. I did find a short video at this link that explains how onstar works.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/onstar.htm

Perhaps it is as simple as she didn't renew the subscription.

You can subscribe monthly for as low as $18.95 per month* — renew online today using our convenient four-step process. If you do not renew your subscription and the OnStar system in your vehicle is then deactivated, you will not be able to contact OnStar for help when you need it.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/howrenew

This mapped route looks like it could be dangerous. One wrong move with the car and into the water.
I hope LE is looking for any guardrails broken or missing.

Prayers for May Milling.

We just had a case here where Paul Foster went missing in January. He was just found in his truck submerged in water Sept. 5. Many of us posting felt it was an accident and he was in the water, as his route took him by water.
So when I read this about the guardrail missing and no one noticed, I was like WTH. I truly believe something like this has happened to May. I think volunteers should look for broken branches. flattened grass, tire marks in a ditch, skid marks etc. Time is running out if it hasn't already.

"I can't believe we have been fishing on top of this car for this long and we have never snagged on it," said Dave Ryckman, 51. "I have trouble understanding how no one noticed or reported that 10-foot of iron railing was missing."

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/253784--body-found-in-car-pulled-from-harbour

"""""I can't believe we have been fishing on top of this car for this long and we have never snagged on it," said Dave Ryckman, 51. "I have trouble understanding how no one noticed or reported that 10-foot of iron railing was missing."""

I wonder how many times this gentleman fished there and figured someone else had reported the broken guardrail..

"""""I can't believe we have been fishing on top of this car for this long and we have never snagged on it," said Dave Ryckman, 51. "I have trouble understanding how no one noticed or reported that 10-foot of iron railing was missing."""

I wonder how many times this gentleman fished there and figured someone else had reported the broken guardrail..

bbm

You are right. LOL.

I just think it is a car accident for May.

Here is some info why onstar will not work
There are also others if you read the full article

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/termsconditions

11.HOW YOUR OnStar SERVICE WORKS AND SYSTEM LIMITATIONS. OnStar service is only available in the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada. OnStar service works using wireless communication networks and the Global Positioning System ("GPS") satellite network. NOT ALL OnStar SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE, PARTICULARLY IN REMOTE OR ENCLOSED AREAS, OR ON ALL CARS, AT ALL TIMES. The area that you are driving in may affect the service that we can provide to you, including but not limited to routing service.

OnStar service can’t work unless your Car is in a place where we have an agreement with a wireless Service Provider for service in that area. OnStar service also can’t work unless you’re in a place where the wireless Service Provider we’ve hired for that area has coverage, network capacity, and reception when the service is needed, and technology that’s compatible with the OnStar service. OnStar service that involves location information about your Car can’t work unless GPS satellite signals are unobstructed, available in that place and compatible with the OnStar hardware as well.

I can't help but feel that this case is somehow related to the McCann's who are missing.

Geography, age and circumstance make me suspicious.

Search for missing senior continues​

The search for an elderly woman is focused back on British Columbia, say Mounties.​

Webb said although her four-door Sedan is equipped with OnStar, no signal from the car has been available. Webb said this could be because Milling is in an area with no reception or the OnStar is defective.

Her cellphone is also turned off.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/2010/09/07/15269361.html

Based on this map of cell towers it's likely May would have travelled a great distance between Jasper and Kamloops where no cell towers and/or coverage would be active. This could explain the inability to contact her cell phone as well as the onstar system not registering.

picture.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back