Found Safe CANADA - Maya Mirota & Marta Malek, both 16, Algonquin Park, 11 July 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by LadyL, Jul 13, 2019.

1. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

The OPP are asking the public to help them find a pair of 16-year-old girls who were last seen on a trail in Algonquin Park on Thursday morning.

Maya is about five feet tall with a thin build and long auburn hair.

The only description for Marta is that she is about six feet tall.

Teen girls missing in Algonquin Park since Thursday

2. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

they've been missing since Thursday! It's Saturday, almost Sunday now!!

[​IMG]

3. ms_x_to_the_m

ms_x_to_the_m Well-Known Member

This is unbelievable. Algonquin is soooo huge. I do hope they are found.

4. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

5. TGIRecovered

TGIRecovered Well-Known Member

A bit stingy on the info, aren't they? I wonder how Maya knew Marta and why the only description of "Marta"is that she is 6 feet tall? The article doesn't mention a thing about any searches.

6. ms_x_to_the_m

Where they are missing

Google Maps

There's a lot of people camping. I hope they are able to meet someone and get help.

7. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

thank you! I've been struggling to upload a map!

dotr and ms_x_to_the_m like this.
  8. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

and I can't find any other news or even social media gossip

bluenoser, TGIRecovered and dotr like this.
  9. Monika K

Monika K New Member

Teen girls missing in Algonquin Park
    Hi im friends with them both. they know dach other and are friends. We all knew each other since we were little. They went missing after they split of with a bigger group. This is at a polish camp for oboz. Aka polish scouts. If you have any questions let me know I’ll try to reply!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  10. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

11. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

It's warm and there is lots of fresh water. They have a great chance.

Hopefully they have the sense to stay in a safe spot that allows them to be found or better yet they have a cell phone with them.

Western Uplands Trail

12. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

<modsnip - broken quote>

Thank you for posting, Monika. I am so sorry that your friends are missing! This must be upsetting for you.

How familiar are the girls with Algonquin Park? Have they been on many trips to the park? How would you rate their survival skills?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  13. Snoopster

Not sure how this zoomable map will work if I post a link here, but you can see Rainbow Lake, surrounding trails and camping spots.

Recording - Jun. 29, 03:57 p.m.

Does anyone know if this was a day-trip into the park from their camp, or an overnight camping trip?

The park is very large, but it doesn't seem that they were so far into the park that there wouldn't be a reasonable amount of other hikers, canoeists and campers.

And, luckily the weather has been good over the past few days with highs of 25-26 C and lows of 11-14 C, and little to no rain.

Past Weather in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada — Yesterday or Further Back

14. hiker72

hiker72 New Member

Here's a link to a trail map of Algonquin:
    Jeff's Algonquin Provincial Park Map
    The Western Uplands trail is located off of highway 60 just past the West Gate (near the left side of the map). There's also a less commonly used access point at Rain Lake at the top of the trail.
    I've hiked the trail many times - Rainbow Lake is about 20 km's from the hwy 60 trailhead and a bit further from the Rain Lake access point.

Monika, thanks so much for providing more background info as this situation is really gnawing at me (I have a teenage daughter).
    It would be good to know which way they were heading when last seen. If they were heading south, the trail is fairly well marked and the terrain gets generally easier the further south you go. There also tends to me more backpackers in the southern section.
    If they headed north/northwest, there are a couple of spots where the trail takes a less obvious turn. I really hope that they are somewhere on/near the trail and did not venture too far off. As Snoopster said, the temps have been warm and there's no shortage of water so that's a huge plus for them and I'm hopeful that they will be located soon.

15. Snoopster

Major search underway for missing Kitchener teenagers in Algonquin Park

[​IMG]

The article says that the two girls are experienced campers.

I'm curious as to why they weren't reported missing until late Friday evening. They were last seen at 11:00 am on Thursday.

I am really starting to get worried about these two girls. Hopefully it is just a case of getting lost and holding tight in one spot, waiting to get found.

16. Snoopster

This is a quote from a website where hikers post comments about various trails. I was discouraged to hear that this particular hiker didn't see many other hikers in mid-July. He did say they did the entire loop, which is very long. I presume there are more hikers on the short loop.

Rainbow Lake isn't on the shortest loop unfortunately.

Here's a video of a guy who did a 6-day hike in November. He camped on Rainbow Lake one night. It will give you an idea of the terrain and vegetation of the trail.

17. Zayn Jinah

Zayn Jinah New Member

Hi im friends with them both. they know dach other and are friends. We all knew each other since we were little. They went missing after they split of with a bigger group. This is at a polish camp for oboz. Aka polish scouts. If you have any questions let me know I’ll try to reply![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear

bluenoser, margarita25, otto and 3 others like this.
  18. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

19. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

'Major' search underway for missing teens in Algonquin Park
    "The air and ground searched that started at sunrise Saturday included an OPP helicopter and a fixed-wing plane from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forests.

Meanwhile, the OPP’s emergency response team and sniffer dogs, officers from several local detachments and park wardens and staff were “scouring the area on the ground.”

Volunteers from the Ontario Search and Rescue Association with “specialized training for this type of scenario” were also helping with the ground search"
    [​IMG]
    Missing 16-year-old girls in Algonquin Park: Maya Mirota Marta Malek OPP handout

20. ms_x_to_the_m