GUILTY Canada - Natsumi Kogawa, 29, Vancouver, 7 Sept 2016

This is in reference to why the Vancouver Police is handling it and not the RCMP, if she was missing from Burnaby.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daephine, I am not certain, so this is just my guess for the reason why the initial police report was filed with the Vancouver dept: when the friends looked at her room, nothing looked amiss. They made the assumption that Natsumi had just gone out, with her usual backpack, phone and wallet since they did not see those items. Her typical daily activities all were in Vancouver. I think that is what led JV to go to the police there. Also, downtown Vancouver is the last place she was seen, although she is said to have LINE messaged the next morning. This is just my guess.

This leads to a thought and question in my mind: Based on that timeline posted on the FNK page, Natsumi "arrived home around 19:30 Burnaby". News articles say the last she was seen was in downtown Vancouver on 9/7. She is said to live in a shared home. No one who lived in this home saw her that evening or the next morning?

An update on the FNK page: On Monday, 9/19, it had been announced that the next place they were going to raise awareness was at the Surrey Central and King George station for this Sunday, 9/25. Apparently, last evening they changed the plans to both 9/24 and 9/25 (Sat and Sun), for a diferent location: Waterfront Skytrain Station, in Vancouver. Looking at a map, it seems Waterfront station is in the opposite direction from Burnaby that Surrey Central and King George stations were. I wonder if they changed their location due to some new tip?
https://www.facebook.com/findnatsum...3303612533983/546833938847617/?type=3&theater

No newer news articles that I can find.

Daephine, I am not certain, so this is just my guess for the reason why the initial police report was filed with the Vancouver dept: when the friends looked at her room, nothing looked amiss. They made the assumption that Natsumi had just gone out, with her usual backpack, phone and wallet since they did not see those items. Her typical daily activities all were in Vancouver. I think that is what led JV to go to the police there. Also, downtown Vancouver is the last place she was seen, although she is said to have LINE messaged the next morning. This is just my guess.

This leads to a thought and question in my mind: Based on that timeline posted on the FNK page, Natsumi "arrived home around 19:30 Burnaby". News articles say the last she was seen was in downtown Vancouver on 9/7. She is said to live in a shared home. No one who lived in this home saw her that evening or the next morning?

An update on the FNK page: On Monday, 9/19, it had been announced that the next place they were going to raise awareness was at the Surrey Central and King George station for this Sunday, 9/25. Apparently, last evening they changed the plans to both 9/24 and 9/25 (Sat and Sun), for a diferent location: Waterfront Skytrain Station, in Vancouver. Looking at a map, it seems Waterfront station is in the opposite direction from Burnaby that Surrey Central and King George stations were. I wonder if they changed their location due to some new tip?
https://www.facebook.com/findnatsum...3303612533983/546833938847617/?type=3&theater

No newer news articles that I can find.

Though the FNK page is doing an excellent job of posting everything in both English and Japanese, the Japanese administrator of the page, YA, posted somewhat of a FAQ at 11:13 PM on Sep .14th, and this particular post, unfortunately, is in Japanese only. One of the questions listed is "Where was she last seen?" to which he answers "One of the residents of the shared house where Natsumi lived has said she/he (gender-neutral, which is typical in Japanese) saw her in the evening on Wednesday, Sep. 7th, which is the last sighting of her."

Have not been able to find any information as to why they have changed the location for handing out flyers ....

Would LE have searched skytrain surveillance video? If they found her getting on a train in Burnaby, it would be possible to track that train to see where she got off.

Would LE have searched skytrain surveillance video? If they found her getting on a train in Burnaby, it would be possible to track that train to see where she got off.

In theory yes. If Natsumi had a monthly pass via Compass (this is Translink's value add/monthly tap and ride system) then a warrant for her Compass number and data for whatever day could be obtained. On the assumption of course that saving ALL of this sort of data is very very important to Translink for all kinds of analytics and decison making. But... if she paid with cash, then they would be forced to sift through the surveillance footage. Compass is a very new system so they cannot risk the level of backlash by going completely cashless.

One more point on Compass. There is a subsidized program for students called U-Pass BC. This is a mandatory monthly pass for the full transit system that is built in to your tuition payment at your school. It seems Kaplan does not qualify for this really really useful discount.

I was walking along Commercial Ave today near Broadway and saw a Missing poster for Natsumi. This is a very high traffic location and will garner thousands of eyeballs. If you think of the area where you live and say "all the hipsters go to X Street/Ave". That's Commercial Drive here in Vancouver. Lots of coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques. So almost as high traffic as Waterfront but not quite. This is a good sign, people are still actively looking for her two weeks in.

edited:typos

Great to see all of us westcoasters in this thread looking out for Natsumi!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

In theory yes. If Natsumi had a monthly pass via Compass (this is Translink's value add/monthly tap and ride system) then a warrant for her Compass number and data for whatever day could be obtained. On the assumption of course that saving ALL of this sort of data is very very important to Translink for all kinds of analytics and decison making. But... if she paid with cash, then they would be forced to sift through the surveillance footage. Compass is a very new system so they cannot risk the level of backlash by going completely cashless.

One more point on Compass. There is a subsidized program for students called U-Pass BC. This is a mandatory monthly pass for the full transit system that is built in to your tuition payment at your school. It seems Kaplan does not qualify for this really really useful discount.

I was walking along Commercial Ave today near Broadway and saw a Missing poster for Natsumi. This is a very high traffic location and will garner thousands of eyeballs. If you think of the area where you live and say "all the hipsters go to X Street/Ave". That's Commercial Drive here in Vancouver. Lots of coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques. So almost as high traffic as Waterfront but not quite. This is a good sign, people are still actively looking for her two weeks in.

edited:typos

Kaplan doesn't have a U-pass option and considering that Natsumi lived in Burnaby but went to school in Downtown, she most likely had a monthly pass on her Compass card since it's much more expensive to pay with cash every time. If they had her Compass card's number, they could ask Translink to search their logs since they track when/where cards are used, but the problem is that her wallet was missing from her room so she most likely has her Compass card with her. There's no way to figure out her Compass card's number unless she created an account on the Compass website. I wonder if her friends know her email, they could perhaps check with Translink to see if she has an account registered.

Big lead! Surveillance video of Natsumi speaking with a man on the day she disappeared has surfaced. It was taken at 1:27pm on Thursday, September 8, 2016 near Seymour Street and Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC
There is a picture at the link. Somebody has to recognize this man. Oh, I hope, I hope!

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=2087&languageId=1&contentId=48248

On the FNK page, this is also announced, and says "As far as we know this is the last time somebody was seen with Natsumi. We do not know who this person is." They say: "WE ARE AGAIN ASKING FOR YOUR HELP TO MAKE THIS TRENDING ON NEWS-FEEDS ON FACEBOOK. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?"
https://www.facebook.com/findnatsumikogawa/posts/548831548647856

It seems like Seymour St & W Hastings St is near the Waterfront Station where they were handing out fliers over the weekend. I had wondered if the change in location was due to a tip. Looks like it could have been!
The picture appears to be indoors, doesn't it? Any locals recognize where this picture caught them on camera?

I don't frequent that area often but it looks extremely familiar...it looks a lot like the Waterfront Center mall that's attached to Waterfront Station. If I remember correctly, the inside has a similar color scheme and patterns like that, although the mall is not at Seymour and Hastings St; it's at Cordova and Granville.

Other spacious, indoor, publicly-accessible buildings near Seymour and Hastings are Sinclair Center and SFU Harbour Center. Apart from those three, I really can't think of other places nearby that can have such a wide hallway and decorative floor tiles; most buildings in that area are just small schools or restaurants.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-of-missing-student-natsumi-kogawa-1.3781379
attachment.php
nvestigators want to identify and speak with the man in the images, who is described as:
  • A white man.
  • Approximately 30 years of age.
  • Medium height.
  • Slim build.
  • Light coloured hair.
  • Wearing a dark jacket, blue jeans, running shoes and a dark baseball cap.
  • Holding a black gym bag with red handles and wearing a dark coloured duffle-style backpack.
Anyone with information is asked to call Burnaby RCMP at 604-294-7922 and request tip line extension 5164 or call Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Attachments

• natsumi-kogawa-and-person-of-interest.jpg
    natsumi-kogawa-and-person-of-interest.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 214

She looks like she is arguing with him or trying to convince him of something. I wonder if she is always so animated with her hands when talking? I also wonder what he has in that odd shaped bag he is carrying. He has a large backpack as well and is dressed like someone going camping whereas she is dressed nice like she was going to the mall or to work. She has a purse or small bag on her shoulder and doesn't seem to be in distress but these two don't look like they go together. Totally my guess, but he looks like someone with a plan and she looks like she is trying to talk him out of it. JMO.

He has a large backpack as well and is dressed like someone going camping whereas she is dressed nice like she was going to the mall or to work. She has a purse or small bag on her shoulder and doesn't seem to be in distress but these two don't look like they go together.

I agree, she certainly wasn't intending to go hiking. My first thought was he is a backpacker who just arrived (the final stop for the Skytrain from the airport is Waterfront) and would be heading to a hostel in the downtown/eastside.

I don't frequent that area often but it looks extremely familiar...it looks a lot like the Waterfront Center mall that's attached to Waterfront Station. If I remember correctly, the inside has a similar color scheme and patterns like that, although the mall is not at Seymour and Hastings St; it's at Cordova and Granville.

Other spacious, indoor, publicly-accessible buildings near Seymour and Hastings are Sinclair Center and SFU Harbour Center. Apart from those three, I really can't think of other places nearby that can have such a wide hallway and decorative floor tiles; most buildings in that area are just small schools or restaurants.

I do think it could be Harbour Centre you mention! If you go to this link, see the photos from this bldg, especially the one of the escalator. Don't the floor tiles look similar? And the rails along the wall. In another photo you can see black planters. What do you think? If so, what might she have been doing there?
http://www.collierscanada.com/18866?exmob=true#.V-sU1utHaK1

It always mystifies me when police release pictures of people they wish to speak with seen with someone who has been missing for weeks and that person hasnt already contacted police telling them when they saw them last. She has been all over MSM and the news, its not like he doesnt know shes missing. KWIM? I would hope this person has since been identified and questioned. Its a pretty clear shot of him with her.

It.. seems like Seymour St & W Hastings St is near the Waterfront Station where they were handing out fliers over the weekend. ....

I don't frequent that area often but it looks extremely familiar...it looks a lot like the Waterfront Center mall that's attached to Waterfront Station. If I remember correctly, the inside has a similar color scheme and patterns like that, although the mall is not at Seymour and Hastings St; it's at Cordova and Granville....

If the location of the photographs were of Waterfront Station, the following posts may have some significance:<br>
September 24 at 1:52pm:

https://www.facebook.com/findnatsumikogawa/posts/547538798777131
http://archive.is/JNgxY

Concord Pacific your Concord Security guard tried kicking us out for giving flyers out on "private property." I told your security guard that they would have to call the police to remove me from the sidewalk for giving out a MISSING PERSON flyer. - Jay Vergara

https://twitter.com/sushistand/status/779777768930152448
http://archive.is/wP7xF

@Concord_Pacific tried stoping us give #findnatsumi flyers outside waterfront stn sayin I was on privte property. @cbcnewsbc @CTVVancouver<br>

On the bag that the person of interest is carrying:

The rectangular-look appears more functional than for fashion ... and it's possible it could be a tent carry bag.
..similar to the ones found in 2-man tents made by FIELD CANDY (as far as shape/form of the bag is concerned)
attachment.php

or COLEMAN.. (some of their typical color combinations)
attachment.php

Attachments

• QqiIFGr.jpg
    QqiIFGr.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 0cTpM8J.jpg
    0cTpM8J.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 194
I do think it could be Harbour Centre you mention! If you go to this link, see the photos from this bldg, especially the one of the escalator. Don't the floor tiles look similar? And the rails along the wall. In another photo you can see black planters. What do you think? If so, what might she have been doing there?

I'm sure it's the place. Possibly they were going up to the lookout?

Surely someone will recognize this guy!...although there are a lot a passers-through in Vancouver.

I asked some friends and they said it is indeed, Harbour Center.

On the thread in Reddit Vancouver, people have recognized the bag that he's carrying as a tent bag, not a gym bag. It's the Coleman Highline 2 tent bag: https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f4...bf777_1.0568249db517814b7025b32fd2366a6b.jpeg

The fact that he hasn't contacted the police even though Natsumi's case has been all over the news with people handing out fliers nearby and everything makes him all the more suspicious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back