Canada - Sentry killed in War Memorial shooting, Ottawa, 22 Oct 2014

I really like the fact that this man's mental illness is front and centre in the reporting. The word "terrorist" almost has some sort of famous sense to it, but being nuts puts the man at the bottom of the barrel - nothing but another run of the mill loony tune.

It's interesting that his mother has positioned herself in a role that makes decisions about who will be a new Canadian.

Did the murderer suddenly, out of the blue, have crazy ideas about killing people if they did not adhere to his set of beliefs (per ISIL), or was he predisposed, perhaps during his upbringing, to have strong feeling about others that have different beliefs?

I think that the shooting at the memorial was supposed to serve as a distraction - to pull security away from Parliament Hill, and make it easier for him to enter the building with a gun

I never thought about that senario...

So beautiful. On CNN watching military March into Parliament Hall. Kevin Vickers applauded like crazy. Mr. Vickers emotions could be felt. WOW!

I wonder if the name changes themselves had something to wiht distancing from dad, or aligning wiht dad, or criminal history?

Now, the changes began as, everything changes, freedom, access. security trumping anything and everything. Out come fences, big barriers, frequent observation of LE and any "event" being more than it would have been the day before yesterday (i.e a fire alarm would not have been a news story Tuesday)

Canadian PM Stephen Harper, in speech to Parliament, says security laws need to be strengthened, assures 'work will be expedited' - @MichelleZilio
B0ocSBcIcAAbkgn.jpg:large

Parliament Hill and sections of some streets in downtown Ottawa remain closed to the public this morning after Wednesday's shootings - @CBCNews

Police detain man near Ottawa War Memorial who reportedly tried to cross police tape as PM Stephen Harper paid respects - @StuMillsCBC, @l_stone

B0opytlIcAAAtzh.jpg

Photo: People being let back into Parliament building in Ottawa after a false fire alarm went off, 1 day after shootings - @MaBlaisMorin

Photo: Police presence at Montreal City Hall in response to yesterday's shootings in Ottawa - @sophietremblay

B0oIk3VIgAAGaeY.jpg

Will be gone for the day ...

Hooray and Hugs for Sergeant at Arms, Kevin Vickers ... honourable man and a Canadian hero !! :tyou:

Boo to bibeau ... dishonourable dude, there are no virgins where you are ... they are all still here in Canada with the rest of us, living the True North Strong and Free !!

Rest in Peace, Cpl Nathan Cirillo and Thank You for your life and your service to this great country. Sincere and utmost condolences to Cpl Cirillo's loved ones. He will not be forgotten.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Now, the changes began as, everything changes, freedom, access. security trumping anything and everything. Out come fences, big barriers, frequent observation of LE and any "event" being more than it would have been the day before yesterday (i.e a fire alarm would not have been a news story Tuesday)

Canadian PM Stephen Harper, in speech to Parliament, says security laws need to be strengthened, assures 'work will be expedited' - @MichelleZilio
B0ocSBcIcAAbkgn.jpg:large

Parliament Hill and sections of some streets in downtown Ottawa remain closed to the public this morning after Wednesday's shootings - @CBCNews

Police detain man near Ottawa War Memorial who reportedly tried to cross police tape as PM Stephen Harper paid respects - @StuMillsCBC, @l_stone

B0opytlIcAAAtzh.jpg

Photo: People being let back into Parliament building in Ottawa after a false fire alarm went off, 1 day after shootings - @MaBlaisMorin

Photo: Police presence at Montreal City Hall in response to yesterday's shootings in Ottawa - @sophietremblay

B0oIk3VIgAAGaeY.jpg

I want to know why the police aren't wearing helmets, vests and body armor.

I know the pics are already out there, but I wish the media wouldn't publish the ones of Cpl. Cirillo being worked on by EMS etc.... To see your son's last moments and also have them publicized must be horrific for family and friends.

6ir7k8.jpg

Great job.

My friend wrote to me: "One of the most upsetting aspects of yesterday's violence was the chosen primary site: the Cenotaph - a place almost sacred in nature which honours peace. The fact that neither of the ceremonial guards had weapons that were loaded underscores the purpose of this monument. It is a place where people come to honour sacrifices people have made for peace and it became a place of further sacrifice. I thought that the Halifax Herald captured this perfectly with sensitivity and sadness."

I will begin wearing my poppy today and not wait for November 1.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/editorial-cartoon/2014-10-23-editorial-cartoon

Parliament Hill gunman wasn’t high-priority for CSIS, sources say

OTTAWA — Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the Parliament Hill attacker, was not on the RCMP’s list of 90 individuals under criminal investigation as potential threats, sources tell the Star.

That distinguishes him from Martin Couture-Rouleau, who ran down two Canadian soldiers Monday, killing one.

Zehaf-Bibeau was not formally identified as a “high-risk traveller” but had applied for a passport, a process that was ongoing. However, he hadn’t been issued one because authorities had raised questions about the application.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/..._wasnt_highpriority_for_csis_sources_say.html

‘Thank God’ for Kevin Vickers, Canada’s new national hero (Washington Post)

In Canada, they call the job of sergeant-at-arms “ceremonial.” But as the Calgary Sun said this morning, anyone who thought it was an “archaic novelty now understands the man holding the sceptre has a deadly serious job.”
---
In multiple news reports, Vickers, 58, is already being hailed as a national hero who eyewitnesses say prevented a massacre that would have been nothing short of a national catastrophe.
---
more at the link above

CTV Montreal @CTVMontreal · 28m 28 minutes ago

RCMP says they have no information linking Monday's hit and run in St. Jean sur Richelieu and yesterday's shooting

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/what-we-know-about-michael-zehaf-bibeau/

"Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother, Susan Bibeau, is a division deputy chairperson within the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. His father, identified as Bulgasem Zehaf, is a Quebec businessman with ties to Libya (the Gazette reports he was born there). CTV describes Zehaf as the man’s stepfather, or adoptive father, and says he once owned Café Tripoli in Montreal. The two reportedly divorced 15 years ago.

- Comments from Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother suggest the two were not in close contact. In a statement expressing grief for the victims of the shooting, Susan Bibeau said she’d had lunch with her son last week, but “had not seen him for over five years before that. So I have very little insight to offer.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.
Back