CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest question in regards to the timeline is where was the gunman at during the time frame of his last victim in Portapique late Saturday night and when he killed the three individuals at 9:35 a.m. in Wentworth. Was he held up somewhere in a a summer cottage? Was he merely driving around? There's a large chunk of time that we still don't know what the perp was doing.

This is enlightening.... I must admit I’ve never heard of the Alert system being used as an active shooter warning before and now I know why - apparently it hadn’t been utilized in that regard, not even once. Mainly it’s been used for weather warnings, tornados in particular.

In the dark: Why weren’t emergency alerts used to warn Nova Scotians of an active shooter?
“The Alert Ready System has never been used to disseminate a warning about terrorists or active shooter situations in Canada since the system was created,” Martin Belanger, a spokesman for Pelmorex, the system’s operator, said earlier this week...

........Data from Alert Ready show 135 threat-to-life emergency warnings were issued in 2019 – and that more than half of them had to do with tornadoes. Nearly all of that year’s overall alerts (125) occurred within just three provinces – Ontario (49), Saskatchewan (39) and Alberta (37)....”

Correct.
We received an alert last month in regards to covid.
Another alert was put out today over rumors of an active shooter in the Tantallon area.

My biggest question in regards to the timeline is where was the gunman at during the time frame of his last victim in Portapique late Saturday night and when he killed the three individuals at 9:35 a.m. in Wentworth. Was he held up somewhere in a a summer cottage? Was he merely driving around? There's a large chunk of time that we still don't know what the perp was doing.

I know. We've been trying to figure this out for days in another group I'm in relating to this. At this point we may never know. We have highway cams so maybe they can review those. Or perhaps someone will come forward.

I originally thought that maybe he went back to his home/denture office but I think he laid low in a remote location after learning the girlfriend escaped.

I've got to say that I have tears in my eyes as I watch Natalie McMaster (well known fiddler from Nova Scotia) play 'virtually' with 17 year old victim Emily Tuck. Beautiful, but so sad.

Check out the video at about 10:30.

Canada just rolled out the emergency alert system in 2018 to wireless devices.....and it hasn’t been without hiccups. It’s a bit different than the American system (no opt-out capability), messages coming through more than once.....fair to say it’s an evolving process....

MOO

Deleted quoted post. You know :)

That monster was as sick as the day is long for a VERY long time. Just shaking my head. The regrettable part is, LE’s hands are tied in these situations as one of our new LE members stated. Until they actually follow through and do something outright illegal, there’s little they can do :( I remember feeling afraid many years ago and calling LE. And that’s what they told me.

On a similar note, another WS member brought up the subject of DV and how things need to change. From my limited perspective, one of the things that needs to change is educating young women on what emotional and psychological abuse looks like. It took me 13 years to figure it out. I had no idea what was happening to me, just always thinking it must be my fault that he acted the way he did. I want our young women to understand how it presents itself, so they SEE the red flags and walk away. I’m glad his gf survived this, but the trauma that was unleashed on others will unfortunately be with her for the rest of her life and all those that are suffering through the horror of what he did to their loved ones. :(
Totally agree. It’s so scary. I was in a really bad relationship once as well and I am so lucky to have survived. I wouldn’t have left if I knew the danger I would actually be in. I made it out but barely.
There was a 18 year old named Lauren Astley who was murdered in Massachusetts in 2011 by her ex-boyfriend. Her father especially has really tried to implement programs in schools and elsewhere that foster healthy teen relationships and break ups. It just really touched me so much because it’s so critical to teach everyone in their developing years about healthy relationships and boundaries. I just don’t know how we stop these kinds of monsters from starting!

More information clarifying the timeline -

Domestic assault may have preceded Nova Scotia mass shooting, RCMP say
“In Shubenacadie, he shot an RCMP officer who mistook the approaching fake police car for a real RCMP cruiser driven by a fellow officer. That officer was wounded and drove himself to a nearby hospital. A few minutes later, Constable Heidi Stevenson, a 23-year RCMP veteran, collided with the gunman’s vehicle. Gunshots were exchanged.

“The gunman took Const. Stevenson’s life. He also took Const. Stevenson’s sidearm and her magazines,” Supt. Campbell said. “A passerby who stopped was fatally shot."

The killer, who did not have a firearms licence but had a handgun registered in Canada and several long guns obtained in the U.S., stole the man’s SUV and drove to the home of a nearby denturist, Gina Goulet, and killed her.

He changed clothes and transferred his weapons to her car. His rampage finally ended about 25 kilometres away, when he stopped for gas at an Irving Big Stop.”

“While he was at one of the gas pumps, one of our tactical officers came to the gas station to refuel their vehicle,” Supt. Campbell said. “There was an encounter, and the gunman was shot and killed by police.”

I'm sure Covid-19 restrictions aided in stopping him, there just weren't likely many people about on a Sunday morning.

But still, amazing work by the team that got him: to confidently recognize him in spite of change of clothes, change of car and, I think, being in the opposite direction to where he was last seen headed. Then to take him out with no one else injured, when we know he'd not hesitate to shoot everyone nearby or take a hostage. I guess the details will come out in a report, eventually.

I know. We've been trying to figure this out for days in another group I'm in relating to this. At this point we may never know. We have highway cams so maybe they can review those. Or perhaps someone will come forward.

I originally thought that maybe he went back to his home/denture office but I think he laid low in a remote location after learning the girlfriend escaped.

I wonder if this may have been the possible field that he drove thru to get out of the LE perimeter?
upload_2020-4-24_23-17-55.png

This is enlightening.... I must admit I’ve never heard of the Alert system being used as an active shooter warning before and now I know why - apparently it hadn’t been utilized in that regard, not even once. Mainly it’s been used for weather warnings, tornados in particular.

In the dark: Why weren’t emergency alerts used to warn Nova Scotians of an active shooter?
“The Alert Ready System has never been used to disseminate a warning about terrorists or active shooter situations in Canada since the system was created,” Martin Belanger, a spokesman for Pelmorex, the system’s operator, said earlier this week...

........Data from Alert Ready show 135 threat-to-life emergency warnings were issued in 2019 – and that more than half of them had to do with tornadoes. Nearly all of that year’s overall alerts (125) occurred within just three provinces – Ontario (49), Saskatchewan (39) and Alberta (37)....”
Well, if our government thought it was SO important to send us an Emergency Alert (and you KNOW how loud they are) at midnight, not once, but twice, to warn us to stay at home amid the Covid 19 pandemic (like where exactly did they think we would be, seeing we were told to shelter in place and it was midnight), I don’t understand how the horrific events of that night didn’t meet the criteria of an “imminent threat to life.” Common sense should have told “someone” they needed to warn the good people of NS. The Covid 19 alert was entirely unnecessary as the danger was in no way “imminent” at midnight, on that particular night. I get that it had never been used in the instance of a mass shooter before, but we don’t often have a mass murderer on the loose that’s burning down everything in his path. I do truly believe it may have saved a few lives. We’ve never had a pandemic here either and they made sure we got that “alert” at MIDNIGHT. :rolleyes:

Totally agree. It’s so scary. I was in a really bad relationship once as well and I am so lucky to have survived. I wouldn’t have left if I knew the danger I would actually be in. I made it out but barely.
There was a 18 year old named Lauren Astley who was murdered in Massachusetts in 2011 by her ex-boyfriend. Her father especially has really tried to implement programs in schools and elsewhere that foster healthy teen relationships and break ups. It just really touched me so much because it’s so critical to teach everyone in their developing years about healthy relationships and boundaries. I just don’t know how we stop these kinds of monsters from starting!

@Marysmith I am so, so happy to know that you made it out of that relationship in one piece. Why do (mostly) men have to go with the 'if I can't have her, nobody can' attitude? <sigh>

I think he slept somewhere, but where would he feel safe? I've read plenty of accounts of murderers sleeping in the middle of a crime, being exhausted by the adrenaline, alcohol, maybe had been sleepless on previous nights. Then, the next morning, decided what to do next. We know what decision he came to.

Glad you made it out and survived. It’s scary how many don’t :(

That field COULD be it but I'm pretty sure they had already secured the perimeter when they noticed a car drive across a field. He would have had to still be on the scene to escape from that road but I could very well be wrong. They did note that there is only one way to leave though.

And he could have slept, as he most likely was drunk but he may also have laid low, assessed his situation then carried on. At some point he thought about what his next move was, that we know for sure.

Well, if our government thought it was SO important to send us an Emergency Alert (and you KNOW how loud they are) at midnight, not once, but twice, to warn us to stay at home amid the Covid 19 pandemic (like where exactly did they think we would be, seeing we were told to shelter in place and it was midnight), I don’t understand how the horrific events of that night didn’t meet the criteria of an “imminent threat to life.” Common sense should have told “someone” they needed to warn the good people of NS. The Covid 19 alert was entirely unnecessary as the danger was in no way “imminent” at midnight, on that particular night. I get that it had never been used in the instance of a mass shooter before, but we don’t often have a mass murderer on the loose that’s burning down everything in his path. I do truly believe it may have saved a few lives. We’ve never had a pandemic here either and they made sure we got that “alert” at MIDNIGHT. :rolleyes:

I’m interested in how the Alert would be utilized when it’s known the shooter is travelling quickly in a vehicle, destination unknown. I noticed the tweets were giving fairly precise areas, but is it possible for the alerts to keep up with the shooter’s current location, as it became known? Generally the risk is in one specific location, such as the Alerts issued in Halifax today. This may have been a difficulty encountered in this situation - by the time an alert was written, approved, rubber stamped and submitted to the appropriate parties for posting the known location of shooter changed as it appears he was moving from one area to the next very quickly.

That field COULD be it but I'm pretty sure they had already secured the perimeter when they noticed a car drive across a field. He would have had to still be on the scene to escape from that road but I could very well be wrong. They did note that there is only one way to leave though.

And he could have slept, as he most likely was drunk but he may also have laid low, assessed his situation then carried on. At some point he thought about what his next move was, that we know for sure.
From my recollection of the press conference today, it was not RCMP who saw a car driving across a field. It was someone in the community who was being interviewed by RCMP who reported this, and they reported it Sunday morning.

From my recollection of the press conference today, it was not RCMP who saw a car driving across a field. It was someone in the community who was being interviewed by RCMP who reported this, and they reported it Sunday morning.

He would have had no reason to drive through a field if police were not yet on scene. I'm curious to know the details for this. Not that it necessarily matters at this point- he obviously felt the need to do what he wanted, when he wanted.

He was likely already on Orchard Beach Rd, perhaps where he had stored the vehicle at his other property, when LE arrived to investigate the first fires on Portapique Beach Rd. I think the EMS were staging at #2 hwy (Gloosclap Trail) and Portapique Beach Rd. If he drove up Orchard Beach Rd and drove across the field before Orchard Beach Rd joins Portapique Beach Road he could evade LE by taking Brown Loop which appears to be a dirt road that leads up to #2, away from the staging area. He could continue on #2 to Station Rd, and go left. It changes into Carrobie Rd which would take him to #4, then north to Wentworth. Back road and out of sight. He may have headed up there and found a quiet place to hunker down until daybreak. Just a thought.

I'm sure Covid-19 restrictions aided in stopping him, there just weren't likely many people about on a Sunday morning.

But still, amazing work by the team that got him: to confidently recognize him in spite of change of clothes, change of car and, I think, being in the opposite direction to where he was last seen headed. Then to take him out with no one else injured, when we know he'd not hesitate to shoot everyone nearby or take a hostage. I guess the details will come out in a report, eventually.

Excellent point, I’m very curious about too. How did the tactical officer recognize the suspect in his “civilian disguise”. That was a very sudden, well done ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa