Identified! Canada - Tofield, AB, 'Septic Tank Sam' Ntv/WhtMale 1046UMAB, Apr'77 - Gordon Edwin Sanderson

Everything about his outfit screwms "work-man" to me. Except for his shoes. From what I've read on google, "Wallabee" shoes were "the thing", so this guy was going for fashion. Maybe a date or a job interview? Probably, interview. JMO

Doesn't seem like white collar, but it is pretty typical clothing for an Albertan male, whether wealthy rancher or ranch hand. The Wiki on Wallabee shoes says they came out in 1967, so imitation Wallabees wouldn't be much of a fashion statement 9 or 10 years later when Sam was found.

Regardless of what LE says, this is one case where I really question their conclusion. I can't let go of the possibility that Sam is Arcand. The reconstruction of Sam so closely resembling Arcand who went missing June 1975 and Sam's death being as far back as April 1976. Given LE has Sam's DNA and it is apparently not a match to Arcand, I have to wonder who Arcand's DNA originated from and if there is a possibility it is skewed somehow.

Thanks for linking this thread sillybilly!

After reading the few posts here, I wanted to say and ask and comment...

Regarding them saying this man could have had a serious illness when he was around 5 years old... I had a boyfriend at one time.. and he ... I believe it was that he was missing some or all? of the enamel on his teeth.. and there was at least one tooth (front) that had a white patch, which was enamel.. he said that this had been caused by an illness he had suffered when he was young, when a fever was severe.. it affected his permanent teeth in that their enamel was screwed with as a result.. I'm wondering if this was what was noticed with poor old Sam. I think I recall reading that he had had some dental work done, I wonder if he had cas put on to hide.

The picture of Sam and the pic of that other missing man really did look close, and some other things seemed to fit as well. It *really* surprised me that police hadn't done this checking themselves, without having to receive a tip. It just seems like they could at least be watching for which persons are reported missing around the same time period in the same province. I wonder if they actually went to the bother of checking DNA.. I suppose both already have DNA available, so it would only have been a matter of seeing if they were a match.

What would make LE believe Sam was not from Calgary?

Why would they suppose the perps would be 65 or older, if they don't know who the perps are?

I am assuming the killers must have cut off his 'appendage', for them to say sexually mutilated... I wonder if there have ever been any penises found anywhere? I realize I could be wrong and the 'sexual mutilation' could have bene something else. ... It really makes me wonder if, like someone else suggested, this man was accused of molesting someone the thugs cared about.

Really interesting that police have never been able to match him up with a missing persons report. Did nobody miss Sam or even notice he was gone?

I just recently learned about this case...it made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Also, "Septic Tank Sam"...kind of offensive nickname, I wish they'd chosen something else. However, I'll refer to him as that because that's what he's known by now.

I really hope this man gets his identity back.

Just saw this missing person for the first time -

Lori Lee Kasprick 15 - missing from Hillard AB Sep 1976 - 50 kms from Tofield. See post #9 - not officially reported missing for 40 years - 2015?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ri-Lee-Kasprick-15-Hilliard-AB-September-1976

Seems there were family issues - Sam was about 28 and deceased for many months before he was found in April 1977. Connection? Unhappy person in Lori's life? Lori not reported missing? Hmmm.

Just saw this missing person for the first time -

Lori Lee Kasprick 15 - missing from Hillard AB Sep 1976 - 50 kms from Tofield. See post #9 - not officially reported missing for 40 years - 2015?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ri-Lee-Kasprick-15-Hilliard-AB-September-1976

Seems there were family issues - Sam was about 28 and deceased for many months before he was found in April 1977. Connection? Unhappy person in Lori's life? Lori not reported missing? Hmmm.

What are you suggesting? That Lori had some connection to the deceased man?

New addition on Charley project has very similar face to septic sam recon... Height is good, distance is 20 hr drive, MP disappeared 1973... Thoughts??

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/deeny_john.html
A bit more info... Porchlight indicates John Patrick deeny had surgical scars on thigh from a surgery during infancy. I did some research on polio in Minnesota, his home state. He was born in 53 and polio vaccine didn't get state approval till 55. Could this be related to why LE think sts had a childhood illness before age 5?

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t74970.htm

www.health.state.mn.us/library/dhsjournals/Chapter3.pdf

Being sexually mutalated in my opinion would definantly seem like something someone would do if they caught one in an act of sexual deviance to a child or relative who is under age..
im also interested in the theory that he may have been nvolved in little Karen Ewaciw in 1975

Being sexually mutalated in my opinion would definantly seem like something someone would do if they caught one in an act of sexual deviance to a child or relative who is under age..
im also interested in the theory that he may have been nvolved in little Karen Ewaciw in 1975

Wondering if this was a gay bashing incident?
Apparently the victim as wearing ( fake ) wallabies , it was suggested that he was a farm worker iirc, but i am reminded of a book store or other sort of clerk who stands a great deal.
A student or young teacher comes to mind also, fwiw. imo, speculation.

July 28 2017
https://www.historicmysteries.com/septic-tank-sam-alberta-canada/
attachment.php

Investigators described the individual as having a height of 5 feet 6 inches but perhaps 3 inches taller than that. He had dark hair and likely weighed somewhere between 150-180 pounds. The corpse was wearing a white tee-shirt beneath a Levi’s button down work shirt, jeans, and Clark’s Wallabee shoes. They estimated the man to be in his late 20s.
His clothes showed signs of burns – likely the result of a butane blowtorch. The torch burns also appeared on the man’s skin in addition to cigarette burns. Someone had also tied up the man and brutalized him with a savage beating. The autopsy revealed a little bit more about the horrific final moments of this man’s life. He had been sexually mutilated and shot twice in the head and chest. After all of this, someone deposited the man head first into the septic tank where the discovery of his body occurred. His killer tried to dissolve the body by using quicklime. However, instead of accelerating the decomposition process as the culprit believed, the quicklime actually slowed it down. This was due to the small amount of water already in the tank
Investigators sent out Septic Tank Sam’s dental records to 800 dentists, but none could match them to any patient on file. It seems more likely that the man was a transient, perhaps a casual laborer. It was possible the killer had transported him very far away from the actual crime scene.

Scientists estimate that Sam had been inside the tank somewhere between four months and a year.

The killer had rolled Septic Tank Sam into a yellow bed sheet which he had tied with nylon rope. Additionally, detectives revealed that Sam might have also been tied to a bed during an intense torture session. The work shirt, jeans, and one sock all had burn marks. The crotch of the jeans had also been cut with shears

Attachments

• septic-tank-sam-1024x484.jpg
    septic-tank-sam-1024x484.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 145
To those who think that "Septic Tank Sam" is an offensive name for this guy...
There are countless individuals in the world who are now simply known as "John" or "Jane Doe."
I wouldn't want a name so closely related to the potty, but at least it's a NAME. While kind of tacky (perhaps because of that), people can remember SEPTIC TANK SAM more easily than they could "John Doe #19230736356..." or "Deceased male 4/77 from Tofield, Alberta, Canada"

Please also don't forget that it was the actual investigating police (though perhaps just between one another) who knew Patrick Kearney's victims as "*advertiser censored* in a bag" until they were identified and he was apprehended and many likely still do. We still don't think so highly of people different than us in our world today. "We" just use different code-words to try and hide that from those can't already see through those "new" terms/phrases.

It's also worth bearing in mind that medical staff, cops and other emergency staff develop a very dark humour as a coping mechanism to help them deal with the things and situations they encounter. Maybe we should cut them some slack on this.

Great find Dotr! Glad to see that there is still interest in this case.

Has it ever been stated in any of the articles on the case, how long before the gruesome discovery the owners of the farmhouse had abandoned their property and why? Why are police so certain that the murder didn't happen inside the farmhouse? I wonder what leads them to believe the victim may have been tied to a bed to be tortured, when no crimescene is known, and no bed has been found?

The motives of Sam being a pedophile, or having suffered a gay bashing are good ones. Is it not possible that the motive could have been simply raging jealousy fromf a woman's male husband/partner as well?

The new evidence (I think it is new?) being stated that the crotch of his jeans had been cut with shears leads me to believe that his genital mutilation was the shearing off of his 'member'. Wow, hard to imagine that nobody in the area knew anything of someone with such anger who was familiar with the abandoned farmhouse? Nobody knew of a marital breakup around that time, where the wife perhaps got caught by her husband, and her husband was an angry guy who owned a gun, etc.. ? Nobody knew of a child who'd been molested? I wonder where the 800 dentists were located, ie all over Canada, or into the USA too?

I hate it when cases remain unsolved!

The thing about the UID male being tied to a bed, tortured and wrapped in a yellow bed sheet, has me wondering about the absolute mess that this would make in somebody's home.
It would be terribly messy to move the body from the crime scene to the ( pun unintended ) dump spot too.
Also, who would have a blowtorch at the ready and did they start some kind of fire if it was used in a home?
The victim's body was wrapped in a yellow bed sheet, not a colour one often sees on a bed, imo. would someone possibly recall anyone who had sheets that colour or sold them?

In my post up thread a bit,i referenced " fake " wallabee shoes, but from the recent link, they say they are Clark's brand, which are fairly expensive, imo.
speculation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back