CANADA Canada - Toronto, WhtMale, 25-35, Motorcycle Accident Victim, May'88

No tox reports however that may have come much later in an article.

Weather for the evening of 11 May 1988 into the morning of 12 May 1988 - baby it was cold outside!

The high forecast for 11 May was 14 - breezy and cool, partial sunshine. During the evening/night (into 12 May) the low forecast was 4, partly cloudy.

Was Canada using Celsius then? Does it matter? It was cold for a motorcycle.

Yes, we were using Celsius in the late 1980's. However, that does seem a bit cold for mid-May.

The UID likely would have been freezing on the back of a bike in that weather. A jean jacket is good for higher temps than that.

I wonder if the driver broke down somewhere, and the UID helped him out (grease on hands), and the driver gave him a lift.

It still begs the question of where the UID lived, where his possessions went, and why no one is missing him.

I'm still convinced the UID guy fixed the bike and was going for a test drive. I think the key to solving this is by redirecting to the known decedent, and figure out what bars he went to, and any mechanic connections. Bikers hang at bars, and talk about mechanic stuff. That seems to be the best trail IMO

I wanted to check the spelling of the surname. There is a Hungarian name spelled "Hajdu".

Also, I agree that the accident happened at Harbord and St. George, rather than George Street. It is where Harbord becomes Hoskin Avenue, just west of Queen's Park.

The men could not have been travelling far because they weren't dressed properly and the lack of a helmet would immediately have attracted the attention of any patrolling police. Could Hadju/Hajdu have been part of the Hungarian community in Toronto? Is there a Hungarian community near where the accident took place? Could the UID have been a recent immigrant? Possibly known to Hadju, but not to his family? Was there a language barrier?

I wonder if it might be worth while to contact the Hungarian Cultural Centre in TO? Gosh, I wish that there was a better PM picture.

Were there no tools found at the crime scene? No lunch box? No hints?

My fear in this case is, people were aware of this accident and who the UID deceased was and said nothing - not wanting LE coming around and asking questions. Contraband - drugs, stolen goods etc?

My rationale is, no ID for the passenger - did he feel comfortable leaving his wallet behind intending to only go out for a short ride on the motorcycle including only wearing a jean jacket in 4 degree weather? Boys night out? Regular occurrence at this location - crash pad type of place?

I agree with Darkblue's question - where did his possessions go?

The cowboy boots suggest to me a drifter between Alberta, Ontario and or points east of Ontario at that time - a great migration began in 1983 of people heading home from Alberta - the oil was no longer going to be taken out of the ground. AKA - a cyclical bust. Not everyone had a home to go back to.

Someone who fell through the cracks? Lost touch with family? Many cases involve family not reporting their loved ones missing for up to 20 years, maybe never. Very sad in this case, since the post-mortem picture is quite clear.

Hope someone can find has name - trust the decedent would like that. Jmo.

Definitely, on all counts.

I mentioned the surname, because if you reverse the "d" and "j", you get different names and different ethnicities, entirely.

"Johann" is European, and I figured that a Hungarian is more likely to have a Germanic name than someone from East Asia, where I believe "Hadju" originates , but I could be wrong about the origins of "Hadju".

The spelling and supposed pronounciation are complicated, and muddy the picture even more. Yes there are a large number of people of Hungarian origin in Toronto, but I could be totally off/wrong about the name, and even if the driver was from one ethnic group or another, it may have nothing to do with the UID, (but then again it could). Really confusing, all of this.

I agree with Woodland that he was likely living in a less than formal housing arrangement; crashing somewhere with no rent cheques, lease, or concerned landlord, etc. He could have been hanging around criminal types, but with no North American criminal record, as his prints are not on file here. They may have disposed of his property, and kept quiet about knowledge of his identity.

He may have been fixing the bike, yes, but if he had a shop or a lot of tools, it would likely mean that he had a more settled life, and more people to miss him. If he was using someone else's space or equipment, you now have a third party who obviously knows him, besides the now-dead driver. If he was using Hadju's stuff, then Hadju likely knew him fairly well, and presumably, would other people in Hadju's life.

I also think that going by the driver's hangouts, social circle, etc., would be helpful, but keep in mind, this happened 27 years ago, so I am sure time has erased a lot of locations and memories.

Agree Darkblue - the relationship between motorcycle driver and UID (or their mutual friends/acquaintances) would likely turn up some clue, a relationship likely long erased by time.

I could not find an obit either musicaljoke.

It is St George Street that intersects with Harbord ebonydarkness - the article does say George Street. Just to confuse matters more, there is a George Street that intersects or is close to Harbour Street.

Not sure I can put the article here Darkblue - there is a clear notation not to reproduce without permission. The article is on page A3 of the 1 June 1988 edition.

Should have mentioned previously there is no mention of an appendectomy scar in the article - only a 5" scar on his lower left leg. The spelling of the surname is Hadju but that could be wrong - Hajdu is worth checking imo. No age given for Hadju/Hajdu.

St. George and Harbord is The University of Toronto campus, is it not?

The Ontario Genealogical Society has a listing for Hajdu, but not for Hadju. There is no obit for Johann Hajdu, but there is another Hajdu obit (2005) of a man who immigrated from Hungary in 1987.

St. George and Harbord is The University of Toronto campus, is it not?

Yes, it is a bustling area, filled with bars, stores and several Hungarian restaurants( in 1988) it is also near the high school, Central Tech.
Very multicultural area, students come from all over the world to go to U of T.
Wondering if decedents were known under other nick names, such as Johann called John, or even Yanni?

Accessed full article from 1 June 1988 - the UID is reported to have died 13 May 1988 in hospital, the day following the accident.

He is also reported as heavier in the article at 210 pounds, 5' 8" and that he had a 5" scar on his lower left leg (as opposed to a dark mole on UID sites).

The motorcycle accident occurred on Harbord Street near George Street, Toronto at 4:45 am. They hit a pole - driver died at the scene.

The driver was Johann Hadju.

Woodland, does the article say how old Mr. Hadju was?

I think that Woodland mentioned that the driver's age was not given.

He likely was close to the UID's age, as being of a similar age is generally part of what starts a friendship, or a shared interest in similar activities.

Not saying they were friends or even knew each other well, but to be driving around with someone in/on your vehicle at 4.45 in the morning, you are definitely going out of your way for them.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/maletic_tim.html

"Tihomir Maletic" ?

"Tim Maletic left his family residence in Kitchener, Ontario on January 24, 1983. He left a note saying he was going to Toronto and has not been heard from since. Maletic also has ties to the Windsor, Ontario area."

It is funny, but the UID has a bit of an "ethnic" appearance to me. It may sound strange, but he appears to be something other than Anglo Saxon.

I don't know if it's the light, or a suntan, but he does not appear to have a fair complexion. He looks a bit darker to me. He has fairly thick lips, although maybe that is the result of a distortion from the accident, or his subsequent death.

Thinking of this man on the 27th anniversary of his passing. May he be recognized soon. RIP, and much respect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back