Casey's appeal on the 4 charges of lying to police

I agree that LE did believe that KC was a suspect and not merely a witness at that point. That leaves the "in custody" question. Judge Perry believed that she wasn't. But you make some good points showing that she was in custody. Maybe the appeal judges will disagree with him and agree with you. It will be interesting to see how they rule.

It could definitely go either way on the custody issue. She went in a police car, had no obvious transportation options to leave, was not told she was free to leave, was arrested when it became clear she wouldn't confess, and was with more than one officer in a closed room. On the other hand she was told the door was closed "for privacy," she wasn't handcuffed, and she had gone with the officers voluntarily and led them down that hallway. Reasonable judges could disagree on this issue.

It could definitely go either way on the custody issue. She went in a police car, had no obvious transportation options to leave, was not told she was free to leave, was arrested when it became clear she wouldn't confess, and was with more than one officer in a closed room. On the other hand she was told the door was closed "for privacy," she wasn't handcuffed, and she had gone with the officers voluntarily and led them down that hallway. Reasonable judges could disagree on this issue.

It sounds like this appeal could go either way depending on how these judges look at the overall situation. Sometimes I catch myself focusing on only one part of an issue and not the overall story. This looks like one of them. Thanks AZ.

I understand how you guys feel. But whether or not she KNEW her rights or was speaking to the police voluntarily has nothing to do with it. The police still have to read you your rights even if you already know them, and almost every statement thrown out due to a Miranda violation was given voluntarily.

Also, Yuri did not say she was free to go, and she did not indicate her understanding that she was free to go. And in reality-land (where we live but Casey does not), she was NOT free to go. I promise you, if she had said, "I don't feel like talking about this anymore," and walked out the door, they would have followed her and arrested her, just like they did when they finally decided they weren't going to get a confession out of her.

Thanks for the dose of reality.......even though I hate it.......

You know I wonder what the heck ever happened to common sense. Unless a person lives under a rock, which see didn't. She spent hour upon hour on the internet and watching tv, while she was at pretend work.
She knew full well all she had to do was say I am not at ease here. I don't want to talk to you. Take me home.
We all know even if we get arrested we do not have to talk to police without counsel.
Wasn't Casey arrested at the police station...after the trip to Universal? I've got to go and refresh my memory to see if we were privy to any convo during the car ride between Universal and the police station.

Wasn't Casey arrested at the police station...after the trip to Universal? I've got to go and refresh my memory to see if we were privy to any convo during the car ride between Universal and the police station.

She was definitely arrested after the Universal trip...and I think not until she arrived at the station. There was no recorded conversation in the car on the way to the station.

She was definitely arrested after the Universal trip...and I think not until she arrived at the station. There was no recorded conversation in the car on the way to the station.

Do you think that the passage of time from when the statements were made at Universal to when she was arrested at the police station will have a bearing on the appeal judges ruling?

I didn't watch the appeal hearing but I did find an interesting article about it. I find this comment made by Lizabeth Fryer after talking about KC being "briefly handcuffed" interesting.
"You can't be unarrested," Fryer said. "If we stretch or allow an additional exception ... we're creating a template for officers or the government to ignore individuals' Miranda's warnings."
I think that it's possible for someone to be in custody and then be released from custody. It seems like she's trying to say that once arrested your forever arrested. I don't think that the appeal judges will see it like that. At least I hope not.

The incident with KC being briefly handcuffed was separate from any interrogation by LE. The custody ended when the handcuffs came off. The question is, was KC placed back into custody when that door closed at Universal?

Assistant Attorney General Wesley Heidt said this.
When asked by the judges if she was free to leave, Heidt replied, "She left." Anthony then went freely to the police station to discuss her story, which the state said was "unraveling" at that point, where she was later placed under arrest.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Co...made/-/1637132/18036022/-/eed3a5/-/index.html

Haven't had time to read entire thread so forgive me if this has been asked and answered

Were the lies told at Universal fundementally different from the lies she put in her 4 page written statement and the taped interview given to Mellich at Hopespring Drive?. I just cant see these Judges unanimously agreeing she gave those Hopespring statements in any sort of custodial setting. Cindy brought the police to the home. Her handcuffing was after Cindy claimed she had stolen from her. The handcuffing was brief and signficant time passed between the handcuffing and Mellich's arrival.

Haven't had time to read entire thread so forgive me if this has been asked and answered

Were the lies told at Universal fundementally different from the lies she put in her 4 page written statement and the taped interview given to Mellich at Hopespring Drive?. I just cant see these Judges unanimously agreeing she gave those Hopespring statements in any sort of custodial setting. Cindy brought the police to the home. Her handcuffing was after Cindy claimed she had stolen from her. The handcuffing was brief and signficant time passed between the handcuffing and Mellich's arrival.

We have to remember that this appeal is about what she was convicted on and not anything else. I thought that KC was convicted on the lies she gave police at Universal. The appeal is not whether the state can prove KC lied or not, it's about whether the lies she made to LE should have been allowed to be put to the jury in the first place. MOO.

Well it appears CA will get by with lying too....after all she got by with murder. MOO. Maybe now a mayoral race, a senate seat? She must be feeling really good about herself now. No one can touch her, right?

We have to remember that this appeal is about what she was convicted on and not anything else. I thought that KC was convicted on the lies she gave police at Universal. The appeal is not whether the state can prove KC lied or not, it's about whether the lies she made to LE should have been allowed to be put to the jury in the first place. MOO.

The judges asked the assistant AG if the lies at Universal were different from the lies told to Yuri Melich prior to that visit. The AG said no. That it was a continuation of the same story.

So in that regard, it seems clear she wasnt in custody. That she went freely to Universal. I mean she actually wandered around the building..it stuns me to this day.

The judges asked the assistant AG if the lies at Universal were different from the lies told to Yuri Melich prior to that visit. The AG said no. That it was a continuation of the same story.

So in that regard, it seems clear she wasnt in custody. That she went freely to Universal. I mean she actually wandered around the building..it stuns me to this day.

BOLD MINE

Thankyou and that's where Lizbeth Frye's arguments imho will never fly. She is trying to claim that a custodial situation arose from the handcuffing and persisted to Universal. I cant see these Judges going for that based on the facts and the transcript of the pre-trial hearing on this very matter. Deputy Eberling said she was handcuffed for about 5 minutes after Cindy told him she stole from her.

IIRC all of the 4 lies as charged were in her written statement given freely at Hopespring and a couple of hours before Mellich arrived. She repeated those lies to Mellich in a very non-confrontational taped interview at the house.

Mellich took her on a trip to identify addresses for Zanny and returned her to a cop free house where she made phone calls to Tony and created a myspace page for Caylee. :waitasec: It was aout 5 hours later that she was picked up by Sgt Allen to go to Universal.

:truce: I can however see these Judges viewing the room at Universal as custodial. Mellich did raise his voice and make those comments about Caylee being in a dumpster.....The cops confonted her with the lies. The fact that little hard *advertiser censored**ed Casey Anthony wasn't phased in the least won't factor into their decision process.

But as the 'relief sought' IS all about specific lies, and those lies were told at Hopespring, I cannot see Anthony winning this. But I was wrong about the murder case......... :banghead:

Do you think that the passage of time from when the statements were made at Universal to when she was arrested at the police station will have a bearing on the appeal judges ruling?

Probably not. The question is whether she was in custody when she made her statements. Everyone understands she wasn't officially "arrested" at that time, but she still might have been in custody.

I didn't watch the appeal hearing but I did find an interesting article about it. I find this comment made by Lizabeth Fryer after talking about KC being "briefly handcuffed" interesting.

I think that it's possible for someone to be in custody and then be released from custody. It seems like she's trying to say that once arrested your forever arrested. I don't think that the appeal judges will see it like that. At least I hope not.

The incident with KC being briefly handcuffed was separate from any interrogation by LE. The custody ended when the handcuffs came off. The question is, was KC placed back into custody when that door closed at Universal?

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Co...made/-/1637132/18036022/-/eed3a5/-/index.html

I'm confused by the Assistant AG's comment that "she left" and later voluntarily went to the police station. I'm pretty sure the detectives drove her straight from Universal to the station.

The Hopespring lies are also part of the issue on appeal. I'm not sure if ALL the Universal lies were also said at Hopespring, but they probably were. We could compare the transcripts, but I'm feeling lazy today. ;)

I agree that the Hopespring lies are much less likely to be thrown out. The handcuffing was brief, she wasn't being kept in a room guarded by detectives or anything, and Yuri was really trying to gather information at that point, not trying to get her to confess. So I don't think she was in custody or being interrogated at the house.

She was convicted of the lies she told Yuri specifically. She spoke to Yuri both at the house and at Universal. Unless there was some amendment of the charges later to limit them to the Universal lies, which I don't recall, the house lies should be at issue on appeal as well.

Even if she was not in custody when they arrived at Universal or while wandering through the halls, she still could have been in custody when she said, "ok, I lied," and they said, "Let's step in this office and talk about this," shut the door and tried to get her to confess to whatever she had done to Caylee.

If the lies were the same at the house, then I think Casey could "win" the part of the appeal about the Universal statements but still lose because the same lies were told at the house, and the argument for custodial interrogation is much weaker for the house lies.

If the lies were the same at the house, then I think Casey could "win" the part of the appeal about the Universal statements but still lose because the same lies were told at the house, and the argument for custodial interrogation is much weaker for the house lies.

Thanks Azlawyer-this has my vote of how it is going to go.

And I know I am splitting hairs, but I believe a reasonable person might have believed they were in custody in the little room at Universal. I dont believe that Casey did, which is immaterial I realize.

I truly believe that Casey was A.) enjoying the attention and B.) determined to convince them of her little fantasy.

There's no way Casey thought she was under arrest. She knew she could just say she needed to consult with an attorney before saying anything more to police, but she didn't. She voluntarily kept on talking to them.

I actually think the she thought this was just another lie that she was going to pull out of and that it was really no big deal. She was diluded enough to believe that she could easily convince anyone of anything. I don't think she ever suspected that she was under arrest at anytime at Universal.

IIRC KC had to check in to the police station with a visitor's pass before she went into the interview room. I don't know too many people under arrest prior to arriving at a police station that have had to get a visitor's pass. Is there any importance in that?

I don't think that point Fryer made about the handcuffs really holds water. People are often handcuffed WITHOUT being arrested, just for the officer's safety while he is sorting things out. My friend was handcuffed on his own front porch when the cops came to a burglary call. He was trying to break into his own house. But he was never arrested, just handcuffed. And once he told them where to find his wallet and ID, which was in his car, they uncuffed him immediately. No arrest was made. They did not mirandize him, but they did ask him questions---like 'who are you' and why are you trying to pry open this window. He told him he lived there and once they verified it, he was free. But if he had been the burglar, they would have mirandized him before asking him more in depth questions, imo.

I could be wrong, its been 4 years but I thought at some point during the interview at Universal one of the cops said " you know this door is open you can go if you want" and Casey said" Oh I know"

Does anyone recall if that is correct???

I could be wrong, its been 4 years but I thought at some point during the interview at Universal one of the cops said " you know this door is open you can go if you want" and Casey said" Oh I know"

Does anyone recall if that is correct???

No, they said that to a lot of other witnesses, but not to Casey. They told her the door was closed for "privacy," but didn't tell her she could leave.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back