Casey's appeal on the 4 charges of lying to police

Can you imagine the floodgate effect for others seeking new trials if these Appeal Judges ruled Casey should have been mirandized before being asked for her written statement or her Hopespring interview with Yuri Mellich. :what:

I concede what went on in the room in Universal was different but the lies in question were already on the record.

I had read that Baez was going to be on Geraldo last night, along with the actor who is playing him in the Rob Lowe movie-?Oscar Nuez -not sure of last name. Did anybody see it? I think I remember the actor being highly critical of Baez earlier . Can't imagine why he would want to appear with him. Anyway, does anyone have any information? Thanks.

I had read that Baez was going to be on Geraldo last night, along with the actor who is playing him in the Rob Lowe movie-?Oscar Nuez -not sure of last name. Did anybody see it? I think I remember the actor being highly critical of Baez earlier . Can't imagine why he would want to appear with him. Anyway, does anyone have any information? Thanks.

I seen it. He wasn't as critical as he was on the other interview. He bobbles like the A's.

I cant figure out why Baez is making the rounds again. Is he no longer getting the bounce for clients?

I cant figure out why Baez is making the rounds again. Is he no longer getting the bounce for clients?

IMO, he wants his face in front of those cameras to get another 15 minutes of fame. Much like his aquitted client, he, too, fancies himself a sort of celebrity. I mean, how could these talk shows want to talk to the actor who is portraying Juanny Cochran when they can just talk to the real deal? (That's his thinking, not mine) I think he just loves his mug on tv, and will do whatever he can to keep his name and face on as many shows as possible. MOO.

It's only Geraldo who keeps dragging him on isn't it? Oh and Aphrodite, another crony of his. They only keep him around in hopes of getting an exclusive with Casey...
I doubt he has many clients - he had to leave Orlando and go open up shop in Miami to find work....:rolleyes:

http://www.forthepeople.com/casey-a...come-may-affect-defamation-suit--10-4985.html

Casey Anthony Appeals Lying Convictions, Outcome May Affect Defamation Suit

Date: January 9, 2013

excerpt:
"On Jan. 8, 2013, lawyers for Casey Anthony argued to a Florida appellate court that Anthony’s four convictions for lying to authorities should be overturned. Anthony was acquitted in the death of her daughter Caylee, but was charged with lying to law enforcement in the search for the two-year-old. The outcome of the appeal could affect Anthony’s defamation suit from Zenaida Gonzalez, who is being represented by Morgan & Morgan. Gonzalez is suing Anthony, claiming that she incurred damages when Anthony claimed that a fictional nanny bearing the same name had taken her daughter. "

"The pending criminal charge permits Anthony to exercise her 5th amendment right–protection against forced self-incrimination-in her criminal case. If the appeal is granted, and the state does not appeal to the Supreme Court, Anthony could be forced to answer questions regarding her daughter’s disappearance in the civil trial."

It's actually pretty funny .. they might win the appeal on charges on some technicality maybe .. but she still made the statements about ZFG which will be used in the civil case, and the statements about ZFG are what caused ZFG the issue - not whether or not KC was in a position with LE to make a statement which could be used against her legally.

I mean it's all a little silly if you ask me.

ETA: and as we saw with OJ having no conviction in relation to crime addressed in civil case is no impediment to being made responsible for damages.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wtsp/pdfs/2011/casey-anthony-interrogation-transcript.pdf
A Yes.
Q Okay. We came here to Universal Studios, we’re sitting in little conference room. Obviously the door’s unlocked. We just closed it so we could have a little privacy and talk to you.
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)

Q Hold.. hold on I want to ask you something.
A Yes sir.
Q Like he said you, you seem like a pretty bright person okay. You’re here willingly, right?
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)
Q You’re here ‘cause you want, you’re here to try help, right?
A Oh absolutely.
Q Your whole reason for talking to us is, is to try to help, right?
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)
Q Nobody’s forced you to talk to us, right?
A No.
Q You, you want us, you want us to... you’re here because you called, you want us to help find
your daughter, right?
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)

Q Okay. Alright, let’s go through this again. We’re here because? We got here how? To do what?
A Because I lied, because I brought you up here. And honestly I was reaching for...
Q Now stop right there.
A ...another avenue.
Q I want you to tell me how lying to us is going to help us find your daughter.
A It’s not going to.
Q Huh?
A It’s not going to.

http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wtsp/pdfs/2011/casey-anthony-interrogation-transcript.pdf
A Yes.
Q Okay. We came here to Universal Studios, we’re sitting in little conference room. Obviously the door’s unlocked. We just closed it so we could have a little privacy and talk to you.
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)

Q Hold.. hold on I want to ask you something.
A Yes sir.
Q Like he said you, you seem like a pretty bright person okay. You’re here willingly, right?
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)
Q You’re here ‘cause you want, you’re here to try help, right?
A Oh absolutely.
Q Your whole reason for talking to us is, is to try to help, right?
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)
Q Nobody’s forced you to talk to us, right?
A No.
Q You, you want us, you want us to... you’re here because you called, you want us to help find
your daughter, right?
A Uh-huh. (Affirmative)

Q Okay. Alright, let’s go through this again. We’re here because? We got here how? To do what?
A Because I lied, because I brought you up here. And honestly I was reaching for...
Q Now stop right there.
A ...another avenue.
Q I want you to tell me how lying to us is going to help us find your daughter.
A It’s not going to.
Q Huh?
A It’s not going to.

Thankyou!
I wish I could frame this post and send it to the Appeals Court Judges..

How long is the wait going to be before we get a ruling on the appeals?? TIA!

Gosh, I just don't understand what takes so long. I wonder why the judges don't just convene like a jury right after the hearing and just make a decision based on what they just heard.

What happens after the hearing? What exactly takes so long?

Maybe this question doesn't belong in this thread. I'll post it in the questions for attorneys thread also.

TIA!

This is what was said:

"Okay. We came here to Universal Studios, we’re sitting in little conference room. Obviously the door’s unlocked. We just closed it so we could have a little privacy and talk to you."

"...the door's unlocked" means, "You can leave at any time," right?

emphasis mine

True. But LE never gave her the option of the right to remain silent. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but I think the Universal interrogation (which is exactly what I think it is) was a big mistake.

No, she wasn't under arrest. But what if she blurted out "yes, I killed Caylee". That's what LE wasn't getting at wasn't it? That a crime occured and ICA knew what happened.

If you say anything about what happened, or confess to any crime, if you haven't been read the Miranda Warning and subsequently waived your Miranda Rights, then anything you've said can not usually be used as evidence against you in court, because it was obtained in violation of your Miranda Rights.

Personally, I won't be surprised if she wins this appeal.

JMHO - no tomatoes please.

Mel

Source: http://www.kanslaw.com/know-your-miranda-rights.html

This is what was said:

"Okay. We came here to Universal Studios, we’re sitting in little conference room. Obviously the door’s unlocked. We just closed it so we could have a little privacy and talk to you."

"...the door's unlocked" means, "You can leave at any time," right?

emphasis mine

BBM-I think the investigators made those statements to put Casey at ease so she would talk. No,the statement "the door's unlocked" does not mean she was free to leave at any time. IMO

KC managed to pull the wool over her ex-LE father for years. She went with LE and talked with them because she was the center of attention. I never did think she thought she was under arrest. She figured they would buy her story. Her family and friends always did and obviously still do. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back