CBS - 48 Hours - Buried Truth episode 12 November 2016 - 9pm central

How long did he get to talk with his mother before he confessed? I wonder if she knew about the 4 murders long ago. She knew he was a monster when he was 15. So did she think 14 years of prison cured that? He was about 31 at the time of the superbike murders and she said it was because they made fun of him and laughed at him because he fell over driving the bike. If he had told her that in 2003 would she had just hugged him and told him he was justified? Maybe he wanted to talk to his mother first to get the story straight.

In my heart and mind, I have been defending mommy. But geez, that interview. Not defending her anymore. Bless her heart, as we say down here.

I think it's clear that all these years of defending little Todd have warped this woman. Imagine being his mother and knowing you're the only person who can try to save the world from him. I have a more or less mentally ill grown daughter. Thank God she doesn't have homicidal tendencies, but it's a struggle every day to keep her employed and from making bad decisions. (Hubby and I also have tried our best to set her up as a productive community member, so I know where that woman is coming from.)

You can blame her all you want, and from that interview, I'm pretty sure she SHOULD share the blame, but I firmly believe "mama tried." I think she was in denial after Super Bike. And I pray that her words were edited unfavorably toward her. (But I don't think so.)

OT - I was trying to watch last night when the tot in my house had the most violent episode of stomach distress ever, all over my husband (and I mean all over). You should've seen me ducking back and forth to the tv trying not to miss a word while trying to clean him up. Sorry that was gross, but you can imagine it was kind of funny afterwards.

Yes, she had bed head in this interview and in the one with the local CBS reporter, too.

Could be she's on a heavy anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med. Sometimes those can flatten emotions. She needs to stop giving interviews to the news media. She's not helping herself. Perhaps she is hoping to use the interviews to keep him from getting the DP.

This is exactly what I think she's doing. The minute I heard that reporter say that his mother says he is goign to plead guilty and that she just hopes they can avoid him going to death row.

So she's' accepted (or already knew?) his guilt and her main focus now is to do all she can to avoid him getting the death penalty.If that means playing down rape,kidnapping,murdering and school bus stabbing then she'll do it.If it means thinking up excuses and justifications for the awful things he's done...she'll do it.In her eyes it's too late to protect/prevent him from getting caught so the best she can do is to protect/prevent him from getting the death penalty.

How long did he get to talk with his mother before he confessed? I wonder if she knew about the 4 murders long ago. She knew he was a monster when he was 15. So did she think 14 years of prison cured that? He was about 31 at the time of the superbike murders and she said it was because they made fun of him and laughed at him because he fell over driving the bike. If he had told her that in 2003 would she had just hugged him and told him he was justified? Maybe he wanted to talk to his mother first to get the story straight.

I wonder if she either knew or suspected and was too scared to ask. Sounds unthinkable but watching her justify his actions I could imagine them having some kind of pact where she knew about the Superbike murders and he promised that if she didn't go to police he'd never to do it again. Roll on 13 years and he gets caught for another murder and kidnap and knows now that his mother will realise he didn't keep that promise,so first thing he does is request to speak to his mother.

Is this it? free, no download or membership needed:
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/buried-truth/

I have not been able to watch yet. Could someone check this link of TK videos. I believe one is last night's program. There are two others on this case at same link,

Thanks.

Yes spelly, that is the full episode

Here are the 2 'Web Extras'

Todd Kohlhepp's mother: "He wasn't a serial killer"
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/todd-kohlhepps-mother-he-wasnt-a-serial-killer/
(brace yourselves)

The two sides of Todd Kohlhepp
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-two-sides-of-todd-kohlhepp/

*tears hair out*

I made mention the other day of how I could make a whole tab on the timeline for insane things mom says.
I think it will be easier to make a tab of acceptable, sane things mom says.
It will be a blank page. She is incredible.

"It's not like he went out and killed someone everyday."

IMO, she's likely getting paid. I've seen where she's declined to comment to other sources. If she is, I hope she puts some of it towards therapy. I do believe she loves him and would do anything to spare his life and in a strange way, I can see the defense using her interviews. Not as she may perceive she's helping him, but in an attempt to show that TK was brought up in a home of narcissism, blame and denial.

OT - I do see the controversy in paying for interviews. As in this case, the SB widow would be highly deserving of compensation as a victim of this horrific crime. She was also able to clear up the wrongful accusations she has carried for 13 years. RT, while technically a victim (unless charged as accessory after the factor, just speculating), is less deserving as it appears her motives for giving the interview are somewhat skewed.

Is TK's mom being paid for these interviews?

*tears hair out*

I made mention the other day of how I could make a whole tab on the timeline for insane things mom says.
I think it will be easier to make a tab of acceptable, sane things mom says.
It will be a blank page. She is incredible.

"It's not like he went out and killed someone everyday."

It really is very hard to wrap your head around the depth of the denial involved here. I am still trying to find a compassionate way to express my thoughts on her statements. I really should just stick with what a few others have express. Bless her heart.

Or a long history of victims. I am thinking (and hoping they actually test!!!) they will get lots of DNA from inside that container. And much of it will be from people who are missing or found dead.

I have always joked about not wanting to go to Myrtle Beach because of all the missing young ladies there.....especially around Spring Break!

It just seems there are a lot of missing persons from S.C....
:tantrum:
I too think there are going to be many more victims found soon.

(brace yourselves)

I know her statements towards the end of the 1st video are the most shocking, but something else also caught my attention. RT tells a story from TK's childhood about calling the fire department when she couldn't find Todd. It turned out he was hiding in the clothes hamper and he laughed when the firemen found him there. So much I want to say about this little story I don't know where to start. In no particular order:

1. She launches into the "hiding in the clothes hamper" story while reflecting on how she can't believe he killed people. Reporter asks her what she said to TK when she she found out he killed 7 people and she says, "How could you do this? Because I didn't understand. I didn't understand, how in the world this little boy that hid on me one day when he was little in the clothes hamper..." And she tells the story. What was her reason for bringing this up in relation to her not being able to understand his crimes? Is this story meant to show he was harmless? Or that she was clueless? Or she still sees him as mischievous child?

2. While telling the story she mentions she called the fire department because, "Isn't that what all good mothers do?" It's as if the story is being told to illustrate how good a mother she is and not to show anything about Todd. She was responsible and tried to get him help and he just laughed when they found him.

3. Does anyone believe this story actually happened? I wonder if there is record of it anywhere? Maybe it's because I follow too many missing persons cases but I have not read of any missing child case, EVER, where the parent called specifically the FIRE DEPT. They call 911 or they call the police to file a missing report. And when calling about a missing child the first to respond would not be the fire department, would it? And she describes that they showed up "In all their gear." for a missing child? Really?

4. I'm reminded of the 1970's TV show, Emergency where the fire department was portrayed as going out to rescue kittens from trees and other mild things in between the more serious calls for fires and car accidents. But Todd was MISSING, he wasn't stuck in a tree or in a car accident. Why would she call the fire department, specifically, and why would they be the first to respond if she called the general emergency number?
And if a volunteer firefighter DID hear the call on the radio about a missing child and show up first, I highly doubt he would have put on ALL his gear to go find a child. There was NO fire! There was a woman who didn't know where her child was. And firefighter gear is heavy-- it would hinder their searching for the child.

5. IMO, she either embellished this story drastically or made it up out of whole clothe. :moo: I just can't figure out WHY she would make it up, or even tell it at that point in the conversation. What was she trying to portray? I'm baffled by RT's statements and I'm wondering how true any of her stories are now. :scared:

(brace yourselves)

Why don't I see any actual tears from mother dear???

:crying:

ETA: I've watched all of her interviews, I have yet to see ANY tear production...correct me if i'm wrong.

Sheesh.

Have there been interviews with his biological father?

Gardener - I'm snipping #2 from your post.

2. While telling the story she mentions she called the fire department because, "Isn't that what all good mothers do?" It's as if the story is being told to illustrate how good a mother she is and not to show anything about Todd. She was responsible and tried to get him help and he just laughed when they found him.

I really, really, believe this is the point of her interviews. I don't think it's to get Todd off of death row. It's certainly not to apologize for the pain he has caused. It's to let people know that this isn't her fault.

When people speak freely, in an unscripted manner, they leak who the really are, and what their motivations and priorities are. Her surface motivation is to let people know that her son is not a monster. But her underlying motivation is to let people know that SHE did not make this monster.

She gave up everything for him.
She did everything she could.
She is in hell now.

She's making excuses for him like crazy, and it's all about how it reflects upon her.

Hey, he didn't kill her when she couldn't eat his jambalaya! She did a GOOD JOB!

Those people shouldn't haven't been so mean to him.

I am glad she told that story. It's another example of a kid going to great lengths to get attention. A narcissist, raised by a narcissist, is going to be a vessel of need that can never be filled.

Side note: It's so bizarre that one week ago I was reading his juvenile docs and feeling so terrible for his mother.
(goodness, was that seriously only one week ago?)

End ramble. :)

Have there been interviews with his biological father?

No. I'd be surprised if we get one. It seems TK was written off for good by bio dad after the juvenile offense. My guess is he will keep way clear.
I would pay for one, and one with his adopted father as well.

(brace yourselves)

IN video #2, did anyone else notice that part JW said about TK lying about having killed people while in the military? I recall from reading his pysch-eval papers that TK had told them his father was in Special Forces in the military. Back in 1987, TK also had pleaded for the court's leniency to try to make his sentencing less than 12 years so that he could join the military after he got out. He said if he was in prison for less than 12 years he could still join but with a 15 year sentence he was not eligible. He served 15 years. So OBVIOUSLY he never was in the military. I wonder what compelled him to tell such a lie to the mortgage broker? Was it because he slipped up and mentioned something about having seen people die from gun shots before and then had to cover up?

Gardener - I'm snipping #2 from your post.

I really, really, believe this is the point of her interviews. I don't think it's to get Todd off of death row. It's certainly not to apologize for the pain he has caused. It's to let people know that this isn't her fault.

When people speak freely, in an unscripted manner, they leak who the really are, and what their motivations and priorities are. Her surface motivation is to let people know that her son is not a monster. But her underlying motivation is to let people know that SHE did not make this monster.

She gave up everything for him.
She did everything she could.
She is in hell now.

She's making excuses for him like crazy, and it's all about how it reflects upon her.

Hey, he didn't kill her when she couldn't eat his jambalaya! She did a GOOD JOB!

Those people shouldn't haven't been so mean to him.

I am glad she told that story. It's another example of a kid going to great lengths to get attention. A narcissist, raised by a narcissist, is going to be a vessel of need that can never be filled.

Side note: It's so bizarre that one week ago I was reading his juvenile docs and feeling so terrible for his mother.
(goodness, was that seriously only one week ago?)

End ramble. :)

:goodpost:

IN video #2, did anyone else notice that part JW said about TK lying about having killed people while in the military? I recall from reading his pysch-eval papers that TK had told them his father was in Special Forces in the military. Back in 1987, TK also had pleaded for the court's leniency to try to make his sentencing less than 12 years so that he could join the military after he got out. He said if he was in prison for less than 12 years he could still join but with a 15 year sentence he was not eligible. He served 15 years. So OBVIOUSLY he never was in the military. I wonder what compelled him to tell such a lie to the mortgage broker? Was it because he slipped up and mentioned something about having seen people die from gun shots before and then had to cover up?

Interesting thought. I read one of his postings somewhere, and he said his Dad was an arms dealer. I'm looking for that now

Maybe she did call the fire department when TK went missing as a toddler. It would have been pre 911 most likely. Most people would call the police but we aren't talking about Madame Curie here.
Something that has bothered me is the list of customers provided by the family of SP. TK was on it. Did i hear it right, that he was a highlighted customer on the list? Meaning I suppose the family thought he should be checked out? I am not understanding that. The person who left right before the shooting said another man was in the store looking at one of the super bikes and he thought it strange since the man appeared to have little or no knowledge of motorcycles. It is assumed this last customer was TK. We know TK's mom said he was embarrassed at the store because he could not ride well and fell over. So did that happen on an earlier trip to the store? What had he bought before to be on a list and what happened that made him stick out? You would think the police would at least do a background check on the "highlighted" customers. 14 years for a felony kidnapping seems to be a red flag to me. Did i misunderstand the thing about the list?

I just went back and rewatched both parts of the raw video of mom's interview with the local tv station. I thought it strange when she said her parents didn't want her to have Todd. They didn't want her to have any children at all.

Makes me wonder why?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back