Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

Here's the FBI fact sheet link on CODIS and it answers lots of questions:
CODIS and NDIS Fact Sheet | Federal Bureau of Investigation

And according to this older article on the trial - if the DNA data/profiles were suitable for comparison to a known DNA sample - they (Bode Tech) "would have submitted the data." So I'm assuming this means if there had actually been enough data that Bode would have submitted the results to the state crime lab and then they could have submitted to CODIS. But there was not enough DNA/data.
Defense’s Showing Of DNA Evidence Tests Envelope Of Jury’s Comprehension | SBCSentinel

From Bode Tech website:
FAQs | Bode Technology
Private laboratories like Bode Cellmark do not have the ability to upload profiles to CODIS. However, we routinely provide state labs with the relevant data that enables profiles generated at Bode Technology to be uploaded to CODIS by the relevant agency.

And of course, then the defense sent items after that to Cybergenetics for their convoluted "interpretations."

Bottom line - there wasn't enough DNA or data to determine any real profiles from the McStay graves - PERIOD!

Thanks for this.

That transcript for Perlin makes clear that the Cybergenetics data was not in a format that is compatible with CODIS. It is a completely different methodology.

He indicates that some efforts were made to retrofit it. I am not sure what else he said on the topic or what Bode may have said, and frankly watching all that stuff back would make me lose the will to live.

In the end, the purpose of the Cybergenetics analysis was to exclude CM. That is the case they made.

It doesn't appear that Counsel led testimony on efforts to get the data run on CODIS, and that is really the big problem here. Counsel can't testify to this himself. He must lead evidence to support the contention of misfeasance by the State or FBI

My impression is that the defence in fact made minimal efforts because otherwise McGee could have led evidence of obstruction from his DNA experts

I think what is important is that the defense brought this to the jury's attention before they deliberated and the jurors decided that it was not relevant to the murders. It's not new evidence, it's not hidden evidence, they had their trial and the jury resolved the conflicting evidence.

The jury knew processing the results in codis might potentially bring back up to 11 profiles, excluding Merritt and the four victims, and that in their final analysis Merritt murdered them. They were so sure they recommended death, which they didn't have to do if they had lingering doubt. They showed their careful and intelligent consideration and analysis by not accepting the special circumstances required for the death penalty were proven BRD for Joey's murder.

MOO

T do you remember the specific pleadings on this CODIS issue?

T do you remember the specific pleadings on this CODIS issue?
Maybe Bode or Ryan testified that McGee directed them not to run it. Ryan's lab wasn't accredited at the time. I don't remember what they said in closing about it.

Maybe Bode or Ryan testified that McGee directed them not to run it. Ryan's lab wasn't accredited at the time. I don't remember what they said in closing about it.

OK - thanks

Honestly I can't be bothered to check back into it - but it seems the defence had the witnesses on the stand to make an issue of this and chose not to

Article I - Initial Intake - Section 202 Receiving & Release Process Procedures (begins on page 9 of this pdf) detailing procedures for Merritt's intake into San Quentin. Interestingly Section 201 says that Merritt will be delivered to San Quentin within 10 days of his death sentence:

https://caitlinkellyhenry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SQ-Condemned-Manual-Full.pdf

Here's the good part:
. . ."The R&R staff will conduct a thorough unclothed body search of the
condemned inmate . . ."

I miss our McStay community!

I guess that is websleuths though.

Thanks for all the great convos :)
Agree, and it was great following this Trial with all of you, and terrific that the McStay families received justice for their loved ones, and that CM is where he belongs and will soon be moved to his new abode.
I will miss it too but will check in for any further updates.

I received a notification this morning that read:

CHARLES MERRITT was transferred from San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation on 01/30/2020.

He's finally out of the comforts of the local jail and on his way to the big house. Good riddance.

CHARLES MERRITT was transferred from San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation on 01/30/2020.

He's finally out of the comforts of the local jail and on his way to the big house. Good riddance.

I have an eerie feeling we'll be hearing from or about him in the not-to-distant future.

Finally!!!!

Chase's long cold journey to The Q was facilitated in the middle of the night. I wonder which restaurant gets the most yelp stars: San Berdoo's Celebrity Sheriffs Chefs or The Big House On The Green.

Awaiting pics: Front and side views.

Are we even going to get the San Quentin mug pics though? Wouldn't it be on that screen shot above (CDRC Inmate Locator)? Scott Peterson doesn't have a pic on there either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back