Check Fraud case information

No silly! I didn't say I would not be honest. I would refuse to answer the section of the questionnaire. That can't lead to a mistrial. They would, I suppose, have to reject me if the personal information on my children and grandchildren was the "linch pin" of the whole friggin trial!

No worries - I'd just get booted.

No I was talking about the case law essies sent you. If memory serves if you don't answer, the attorney will probably ask why.

Wouldn't it be awful that because you didn't disclose something, the case is ruled a mistrial?

I have seen jurors who refused to answer certain questions and in the cases I saw it the Judge and attorneys did a private voir dire and if determined that the juror would not disclose the info they were excused from the panel. It was all put on the record though.

I have seen jurors who refused to answer certain questions and in the cases I saw it the Judge and attorneys did a private voir dire and if determined that the juror would not disclose the info they were excused from the panel. It was all put on the record though.

I'm tripping right now because I could have sworn I saw something about jurors and now I don't see it. Maybe it was at another site.:banghead: I don't understand the Judge and the attorney and the juror did a private voir dire?

No way! Why should she catch a break for committing two different horrible crimes that everybody may have heard about. I don't think Florida can afford to keep coddling this prisoner, and her defense team.

It's a grand recurring theme with this case. Every member of the Anthony family, the defense team, the PI's, and everyone else on Casey's side have an immense, bizarre, unquenchable sense of entitlement and privelege. I have not ANYONE in similar predicaments demanding and expecting the things that these people do. It's really strange. Let's have a trial and get on with this. Entitlement and privelege have polluted this case, from the Anthony's trying to control the media and dictate to LE/FBI, the depos were a world of strangeness all their own, to the motions, the lies Baez has been caught in, the constant whining about everything under the sun.

I really do not understand this behavior from adults and 'professionals' in the legal field. I especially do not understand why this is such a common trait for everyone coming in contact w/ Casey's side of this case. It's almost as if they are offended by people daring to lock her up or question their stories/claims/contradictions, etc.

No silly! I didn't say I would not be honest. I would refuse to answer the section of the questionnaire. That can't lead to a mistrial. They would, I suppose, have to reject me if the personal information on my children and grandchildren was the "linch pin" of the whole friggin trial!

Yep, you would just be precluded most likely. I agree I wouldn't answer some of those questions either.

ETA..I say give her a change of venue, less likely to get a mistrail that way. IF I were the judge I would pick the place though.

It's a grand recurring theme with this case. Every member of the Anthony family, the defense team, the PI's, and everyone else on Casey's side have an immense, bizarre, unquenchable sense of entitlement and privelege. I have not ANYONE in similar predicaments demanding and expecting the things that these people do. It's really strange. Let's have a trial and get on with this. Entitlement and privelege have polluted this case, from the Anthony's trying to control the media and dictate to LE/FBI, the depos were a world of strangeness all their own, to the motions, the lies Baez has been caught in, the constant whining about everything under the sun.

I really do not understand this behavior from adults and 'professionals' in the legal field. I especially do not understand why this is such a common trait for everyone coming in contact w/ Casey's side of this case. It's almost as if they are offended by people daring to lock her up or question their stories/claims/contradictions, etc.

I agree. It's bad enough the tax payers will foot the bill for a change of venue for the murder trial but fraud charges. I have never and I mean never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else here ever heard of a COV for a fraud case?

There has hardly been any media coverage of the fraud charges anyway. The defense didn't want a gag order. They have continually gone on every media outlet that would have them. I think the judge has plenty of reasons to deny this. Two different cases two different trials. I am so sick of the kid gloves. I'm not even a tax payer in Florida but damned if my dollars aren't covering the federal costs in this case. Next thing you know Florida will be bankrupt. :furious:

Noticeably absent from the exhibits provided with said motion......
a list of JB's "soundbites", local interviews, pressers, major network morning show appearances and interviews given outside the Orlando metro area, dinners with media representatives, "statements" disseminated by PAID PR spokes"people" both ficticious and verifiable....to name a few. OH......and let's not forget the opposition to a GAG ORDER.

Big thanks for mentioning the gag order!

Amazing that they are still trying to compare KC with Sam Sheppard. :-(

As a FL resident and tax payer this just bothers me to no end. If a COV is granted the cost could have helped many victims of crime that deserve restitution. My rant of having been involved with an escaped FL inmate who violated my home and my person and the amount of restitution given to me $0. His crimes against us cost us more money than I care to calculate. The only thing that I didn't have to pay for was my rape kit. Yet KC and her defense team feel that we owe her. I feel that a fair trial can happen in Orlando. Even though the A's are trying to keep this in the news, just like everything else most people have moved on. The defense team is trying to make it appear that she is far more important than she really is. She is just another criminal that stole from her friend. I can only hope that JS uses logic. I would never want to give the defense a reason to appeal, the need for a COV is just not there. I would at least like them to try to seat a jury before this motion is granted. In FL the schools have lost gov. funding, college fees have almost doubled per credit hour, there are few mental health agencies to help victims of rape, my list can go on & on the way our tax dollars could be spent rather than a COV from a defendant that refused a gag order. In my opinion if the gag order was granted and the case still underwent all of the media coverage, I don't think it would bother me as bad. Since the media coverage is from her and the defenses own doing, stay in Orlando.

Or, refusing to answer that you belong to Rotary.

I love Number 2b (second page 1st item)

The media has published photographs which would be inadmissible? Really? Which photographs? The ones of her writing the check at Target, or at the other Target? Or the check she cashed to herself at BOA? Those were Sunshine law JB, maybe you should read up on that. How would those be inadmissible? OHHH wait... they wouldn't be!

I still can NOT understand why she doesn't plea to these charges and get it over with? She was caught red-flippin-handed for crying out loud!

Didn't KC self-publish those photos on public websites?

COV for the check case?? RIDICULOUS!

Btw.....aren't all the rich people down in Miami/Dade county? Aren't rich people usually conservatives? Don't conservatives believe in harsh sentences and the DP? I think their motto is......"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

MOO

Florida must have an unusual media situation. I mean, here in San Diego County, we DO get all the news from, say, Los Angeles County.

So, Broward and Miami-Dade don't get Orlando news?

My bold :woohoo: Then maybe they'll move the trial to Texas! Nutin' like some good old Texas justice!
On a serious note... what a shock it's going to be for JB when he realizes just what a large portion of the rest of the world believes "Miss Anthony" should be executed. It's not just those in Orlando JB!

I've sat on several juries here in Texas, and I have been impressed by the people's good old fashioned common sense carrying the day, each and every time, they just see through the complicated testimony of experts as hired guns. I could make "ya'll" laugh till you fell on the floor with some of their little colorful things I heard in those jury rooms. I was specially amused by the accents because I am not from here, which one of the older gentleman forgave me for straight away, "Don't worry Darlin, you got here as quick as you could, right?" In any case, they are straight shooters and just don't suffer any fools. I liked, trusted and respected the people I served on juries with here in Texas. Very much. They would eat Baez for lunch.

Regards the comments left on internet sites that the defense cites as proof that the Orlando community is biased etc - how exactly does the defense know that all those comments are from people who live in Orlando? Can't people in other parts of the state of FL and of the U.S. leave comments on these websites?

ETA:

It seems to me that the website admins would be the only ones to know, based on IP addresses, and assuming nobody uses anonymizers(sp?), where commenters, bloggers, forum posters, etc are from, and therefore, whether or not the people are members of the Orlando community. I haven't seen anything from the defense to support that these are indeed Orlando based people, but... I'll keep looking. :)

And as follow up to my last post, I'd be very interested in a poll on WS for posters in our Caylee forum with a simple question:

Have you posted in the Caylee forum, *and* do you live in Orlando, *and* are you eligible for jury duty on the Caylee Anthony case?

with a simple Yes or No answer.

If others would also be interested in this, I'm happy to set it up (assuming I can figure out how to do so :) )

Any thoughts on any other criteria needed for the poll question would be appreciated.

TIA

Okay, maybe it's because IANAL, but I'm just not getting this.

In the defense motion for COV it says "Members of the Orlando community also have a greater degree of personal involvement in this case...". In direct relation to that it mentions volunteers who say they are "consumed" by the case. This is Exhibit I.

So off I go to look at exhibit I, and that news article is about volunteers who came from outside of Orlando. Two volunteers are quoted and use the word "consumed". The inference, since the article is about volunteers from outside Orlando, is that the 2 volunteers quoted are not from Orlando.

I just don't understand. If the defense is arguing that the people of Orlando from whence the jury pool will come are biased etc, then shouldn't they be giving evidence that it is, specifically, the people of Orlando who are biased etc.?

Or does that not matter? I sure would appreciate hearing from one of our posters with a legal background on this.

Another example is that the defense motion says thousands of people from Orlando volunteered and attended Caylee's memorial. Well 2,500 people total volunteered, and there is nothing in the exhibits saying how many came from Orlando.

And it's well known that fewer than *one* thousand people attended Caylee's memorial, and it's also well known that they weren't all from Orlando.

I'm just confused.

I posted the poll here:

POLL: Have you posted in the Caylee forum & are you from Orlando?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90230"]POLL: Have you posted in the Caylee forum & are you from Orlando? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

There wasn't much room for my loooonnnggg question. Hope it's not too confusing.

Some community members in Orlando, I'm sure are more personally involved. Most of them have probably had to lawyer up because of the vigilante SODDI SWAT team of smoke and mirrors the defense team has put together. Friends, acquaintances, witnesses, heck anybody who ever talked to her once has been on the defense radar.

The ones who searched or blogged or were glued to the news are not going to make it past voir dire, so I don't understand his problem. I'll bet JB and his team will be surprised at how many people in Orlando are bored out of their minds with this family. His Publicity Tour jury-tainting campaign has gone national - it's his own fault for fighting the gag order the pros wanted - so I'd bet he's exposed the Miami-Dade crowd to much more publicity than would warrant being able to call in pristine condition for COV.

This have your cake and eat it too (no pun intended whatsoever) attitude is lame and hypocritical. This trial is being postponed so long that they make have to ask prospective jurors if they were even BORN before Caylee died. Sheesh!

Yep, you would just be precluded most likely. I agree I wouldn't answer some of those questions either.

ETA..I say give her a change of venue, less likely to get a mistrail that way. IF I were the judge I would pick the place though.

Does the judge have the discretion to choose any place he thinks would be good? Or does he have to choose from within the parameters of those offered by the defense?

I'm tripping right now because I could have sworn I saw something about jurors and now I don't see it. Maybe it was at another site.:banghead: I don't understand the Judge and the attorney and the juror did a private voir dire?

When I was questioned in voir dire there were no other juror's present. It was in the courtroom with the judge, the attorneys and their clients. Questions were based on the questionnaire I had filed out and other questions that were not on the questionnaire. This was a civil case but I believe it was done privately because other jurors do not have a need to know what your answers are to the questions. I just think it is a privacy issue for the juror. Example: Another juror might say you are biased for the police officer because your husband may have been a former police officer. My husband was a former police detective and they still picked me. Imagine my surprise! But the other jurors did not have that information.

If I'm the judge, I'm veto-ing the COV for the check fraud case-unneccessary money spent by the state to do this, eheh, no.
KC paid the bank back, she is on tape at the bank and at Target using the checks, and she apologized to AH via a jail visit with CA, so basically we know she did it. To change the venue after she has admitted it is ridiculous, and the judge can shield murder trial evidence if he so chooses, wheher in Orlando or in Key Largo.
Ridiculous waste of time, and I wish Judge Strickland was slighly more stingy with his patience.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back