VERDICT WATCH Closing Arguments- Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe watching the prosecutions case over again will refresh your memory ( no pun intended).

Seriously? It was the State's case that changed my opinion, I have watched this whole trial, I am not uninformed at all. I have a different view and I am not alone, I just post more then others about it, many gave up! The wonderful thing about WS's is that we can have differing opinions here :)

Part of the problem is that, some of those first interviews didn’t happen until the bodies were found, almost 4 years after the murders.
Chase was interviewed not long after the murders.

I know we've been over this before, but can you give an example or two where you think this is critical to the case? Where state witnesses, etc. have done this? So much of this kind of thing was hashed out amidst a ton of other information/topics, maybe at this point it in the case it would be more clear to consider a couple that you think are critical.

I can't ... LOL

Glad she is toning it down a bit, tone-wise, literally, and is a bit less strident and now more relaxed. I think it will help.

Yea, I am watching her now for the first time and something that people in college need to consider if they are thinking about being courtroom laywers is to really think long and hard if they are going to be a good public speaker and if they will like that part of the job.

Public speaking and presentations are a big part of being a courtroom laywer arguing a case. And its the audience reaction to their presentation skills which is very important.
Some laywers may be great lawyers but their presentation skills may not be well received.

With that said and with this being the first time I have watched her, I am being put off by her style. She is coming across as angry and basically shouting/screaming. I am getting a negative reaction to her style. And that does affect how I think about the case because even without thinking of any evidence I am starting to feel like I dont believe some of what she is saying. And there is no basis to think that other than her style which is not being received well by me.

JMO of course.

Seriously? It was the State's case that changed my opinion, I have watched this whole trial, I am not uninformed at all. I have a different view and I am not alone, I just post more then others about it, many gave up! The wonderful thing about WS's is that we can have differing opinions here :)
Watching the prosecution’s case led me to believe Chase would get off , not that he was not guilty . I will admit , my bias is due to interviews from others who didn’t testify .
I think the prosecution did some of it’s best work during the defense case.

RSBM
I don't think it's odd at all that Chase changed his story at all.... just like I don't think it's odd that other's did too.... things get muddied when we have more information, memories fade, memories morph, people tell us things, things that seemed unimportant before become important, that's why I think it's always best to go back to the first interviews, but that's JMO.

Changing from needing to delete QB because of Summer's spending habits to needing to delete because of Dan is a big deal to me. IMO MOO

I noticed Maline towards the end of his speech turning over pages and pages that he didn't use. He even said I'm not using these because McGee has already covered it. Makes zero sense given that McGee already tried to weasel out of his responsibilities by saying earlier he turned over his notes to Maline when they were planning closing speeches and Maline didn't tell him about the court's order. So I think Maline had a chunk of stuff he knew he would get in trouble for and decided not to risk it after McGee's dressing down.

I think the silence at the end was an appalling gimmick. Merritt does not have tears inside him for the family he killed or the surviving family members, IMO. We've heard him in the Feb 17th audio, we've seen him on CNN, we've seen him over 5 months unflinching through it all. That is abuse in my world. That was their attempt to focus on him and his reaction, not the McStays, all because he didn't testify.

JMO
Those "tears," were for himself ONLY. His only regret, is that he was caught--same with all criminals.

Yea, I am watching her now for the first time and something that people in college need to consider if they are thinking about being courtroom laywers is to really think long and hard if they are going to be a good public speaker and if they will like that part of the job.

Public speaking and presentations are a big part of being a courtroom laywer arguing a case. And its the audience reaction to their presentation skills which is very important.
Some laywers may be great lawyers but their presentation skills may not be well received.

With that said and with this being the first time I have watched her, I am being put off by her style. She is coming across as angry and basically shouting/screaming. I am getting a negative reaction to her style. And that does affect how I think about the case because even without thinking of any evidence I am starting to feel like I dont believe some of what she is saying. And there is no basis to think that other than her style which is not being received well by me.

JMO of course.

Interesting. I really really wanted to like her, I just can't though LOL She is very passionate though. Out of the 3 prosecutors there, I "feel" like she cares the most after hearing arguments outside of the jury. I kinda feel like the men there.... on both sides... it's more about winning and getting digs in at this point. JMO

Watching the prosecution’s case led me to believe Chase would get off , not that he was not guilty . I will admit , my bias is due to interviews from others who didn’t testify .
I think the prosecution did some of it’s best work during the defense case.

I have said that I am unsure of his guilt now, I haven't said that I think he's innocent, I truly do not have a strong opinion one way or the other at this point.

BBM Do you also believe that the State did not prove it then?

JMO of course.
An example that comes to mind would be the defense lawyers in the Lindsey Partin trial . Their tone was loud , argumentative and aggressive , even with the doctors who were involved in 3 yr old Hannah Wesche’s care ,as well as the coroner who completed the autopsy. They had no dog in the fight about WHO hurt little Hannah.
I don’t think the defense attorneys did their client any favors by acting that way.Quite the opposite.

Interesting. I really really wanted to like her, I just can't though LOL She is very passionate though. Out of the 3 prosecutors there, I "feel" like she cares the most after hearing arguments outside of the jury. I kinda feel like the men there.... on both sides... it's more about winning and getting digs in at this point. JMO
She's better than Imes, I'll give her that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona