Closing arguments- thread #177

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Beth on HLN: Juan had a previous death penalty case (a male) where the jury deliberated for 15 minutes.

These are screen grabs I took.

Sam::hug: after taking a deep breathe. Like she was relieved she finally made it to the end but a new stress begins, painfully having to wait for an answer to her prayer.

Two others are two different times Jodi looked like she was beginning to fall apart as they were reading the first degree charges and other instructions for the Jury.

She's tryin' to pull a TEBOW

She did not say that she injured her finger while she was stabbing Travis. I remember the exchange quite clearly and Juan mischaracterized that testimony.

She merely said yes to a question about hurting it that day. Juan did not need to go further than that.

She said it was one of her injuries from that day, from the fight with Travis. He gave her ample opportunity to catch herself before she finally did. She had no answer that day on cross for why she said that, btw. It shut her up, lol.

She did not specifically say it was due to stabbing Travis, but I believe that is a very reasonable inference for the State to argue. The State does not believe that Travis ever tackled JA, so if she says that's when she injured it that day (along with the head injury), the State fills that into their theory. It's completely normal to do.

The jury will read back over JA's account of being tackled and Juan's cross on that, I would hope. He wasn't trying to trick them; it's just the natural inference the prosecution would take, especially with her having discussed it with Flores as being due to the ninja attack.

I do agree that he shouldn't have used the words 'she said', though. But I'm just picky like that, like it sounds you are. I do think the idea of it was supposed to be an inference. Juan puts little stock in what she actually says anyway ;) The idea was that she forgot she was supposed to lie about the finger during the attack to be consistent, forgot to do so, and blamed the finger on Travis! Of course Juan doesn't believe Travis did it to her that day. She hurt it that day because of using the knife on Travis.

Wasn't manslaughter what Jodi originally put on the table years ago? Then time served? Bet this was at JA's insistence.
No. Offered to plead to second degree or she'd trash Travis in the trial. She would get credit for time served whether convicted of second degree or manslaughter. Scary isn't it?

He should have objected. That Nurmi fails as a defense lawyer does not negate the fact that Juan mischaracterized her testimony.

I think you need to review her testimony. Pink Panther posted it and she clearly says she sustained it while killing him.

She did not say that she injured her finger while she was stabbing Travis. I remember the exchange quite clearly and Juan mischaracterized that testimony.

She merely said yes to a question about hurting it that day. Juan did not need to go further than that.

link?

It has occurred to me over the past two days that Juan Martinez is not just an intellectual assassin, but a wordsmith. And a student of literature, poetry, and the human heart and mind! Juan's closing statement will go down as one of the most effective in legal history. Better than in the movies. Better than anything on a scripted television show. Life imitating art? No, from now on, art will imitate Juan Martinez.

Love your post and last line.

Well said! And since Juan's John Donne quote has inspired me, let me quote from Mary Stewart and say that they will be remembered when her name is just a "hissing in the dark."

After the verdict I don't want to hear another word about this woman. I don't want to know about her Christmas on death row, I don't want to see her amateurish art, I don't want to read her manifesto, and I don't want to read a book about her.

I'm with you Lynn, that's exactly how I felt about CA, too, don't care about hearing about or seeing her in anything -- unless it was an obit.

I'd love to know why the defendant mouthed "17" to wilmott. Is that the juror the DT thought was buying their lies?

17 Is Ponytail as we know her. According to court reporters, she's been picking at her fingernails and split ends for 3 months. She's the one I hoped stayed. I'm glad the Elderly Man is gone though. Society was very different when he was young...

Everyone save this:

https://twitter.com/courtpio

MC county superior court twitter. You DO NOT have to have a twitter account to read.

They will update everyday, all day about all cases in MC.

I did not like some of Juan's final closing. He mischaracterized Jodi's statements about the left finger. She never said that she injured it while stabbing Travis. It reflects badly on him to stoop that low. She was tripped up under cross, merely saying "yes" to the question about sustaining the ring finger injury on June 4th. That's it. Sadly, he didn't even have to mischaracterize it, just point out that she told Flores that the finger was injured on the day she killed Travis. That's all he needed to undermine her account about breaking her finger, as it contradicts her account on the stand.

His theory of the crime regarding the stabbing and ceiling pic is ridiculous. You exit the bathroom with the camera in hand to obtain the knife and then come back with the camera in still hand and then proceed to stab him? That stretches credulity to its extreme. He could have said that AFTER the ceiling pic, she exited the bathroom and dropped the camera down the hallway as she went for the knife or gun and then returned to the bathroom to kill him. This theory explains how the camera ended up down the hallway. It's far more plausible. I hope a juror isn't going to think, "well that theory of his is absurd and Jodi's does make more sense, so she must be telling the truth".
BBM

She told DET. Flores it was cut by a knife when the "ninja's" attacked.

It would be my guess that the part about it being cut, while he was being murdered was true. So to speak.

Actually I think what Juan said was that Jodi said she hurt her finger during the stabbing -- and that is what Jodi said,

Yes, that is what she said.

On cross he was asking her about the injuries she supposedly received. She talked about being slammed and hit her head and I believe she mentioned her shoulder....then she added as an afterthought......'and my finger.'

I think the jury knows she cut her finger on the knife. They saw the interview with Flores where she said she cut that particular finger and even showed him the scar. It has never looked broken to me but looks like she sliced a tendon with the knife.

imo

HLN showing attorneys and Jodi at the bench talking to the judge.

Went back to WAT and watched.

Jodi and Mit Spec. were engrossed in a document (jury instructions??).

Finally sheriff that watches Jodi approached them and said something that Jodi did not like. She scrunched up her nose...Looked like she said "so what?" I think he took her back to a room/holding cell.

Jodi.....Geez they treat me like a criminal. Don't they know who I am????

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

@CamilleKimball 3m
Jury has chosen to deliberate 9 - 4:30, no weekends, starting Monday

Thank you!!!! Calming down a little .. can you imagine getting into that room and finally being able to discuss it .. I think they'll all be talking over each other trying to get it all out.

I need to give you Mr Swamps number and he and my hubby can have their discussions on tractors, tools and all that stuff. mine is about to drive me nuts with acquiring hay cutting equipment. The man spends most of his time on a freaking HAY forum. Seriously, is have even that fascinating? i think not!!

My oldest son is an auto mechanic. He came home from a class where he learned to rotate and balance tires and said, "I really enjoyed that! I could do it all day." My first reaction was to ask him what on earth was wrong with him, but then I decided if I had to have my tires rotated and balanced, maybe it was a good thing that the person doing it enjoyed it. So as someone who might, perhaps, buy what your farm produces, I'm glad he enjoys it.

OTOH, my son doesn't discuss tires with me, so I definitely see where you're coming from!! :floorlaugh:

With all due respect, are you saying this is what will be the difference between 1st degree premeditate murder or something less? If so, I disagree. These people were in the courtroom for over 5 months, everyday, every second of testimony.

If THAT'S where they're hangin' their hat - then perhaps there's some prime real estate in Pinellas County they may be interested in.

Their questions of witnesses alone (primarily to the defendant herself!) lead me to believe these folks might actually have some common sense. This finger thing is a non-issue in the big scope of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa