CO - Civil Rape Trial of Kobe Bryant (Charges Dropped)

Jeana (DP) said:
I doubt if Kobe will testify either, but his accusor must testify. If she doesn't the trial is over.

Well, in Orange County here, man 19 or 20 was recently charged with statutory rape with 16 year old - he was awaiting new trial for rape of another woman, over 18, anyway, evidence collected, etc on this case, and 16 yr old said she would not testify, DA is going ahead with case anyway without her testimony. This is state vs Kobe Bryant, not accusor - of course, realize you are an attorney, but thought I would point out this case to you, and maybe you can explain it, like state laws?

peggy said:
Well, in Orange County here, man 19 or 20 was recently charged with statutory rape with 16 year old - he was awaiting new trial for rape of another woman, over 18, anyway, evidence collected, etc on this case, and 16 yr old said she would not testify, DA is going ahead with case anyway without her testimony. This is state vs Kobe Bryant, not accusor - of course, realize you are an attorney, but thought I would point out this case to you, and maybe you can explain it, like state laws?

With the DNA problems in this case, the forensic evidence is not reliable. The testimony of the alleged victim is the next most important thing the DA in this case has. Without solid irrefutable DNA evidence and no cooperation from the victim, there is no case.

Thanks for your reply Jeana. Heard on TV this morning that Celebrity Justice will be showing some information on upcoming trial - something about very damaging statements made by accuser and also confirmed by Kobe in his statement that will inflict some very unfavorable image opinions of Kobe -- have never watched CJ, but just passing that on for anyone interested.

peggy said:
Thanks for your reply Jeana. Heard on TV this morning that Celebrity Justice will be showing some information on upcoming trial - something about very damaging statements made by accuser and also confirmed by Kobe in his statement that will inflict some very unfavorable image opinions of Kobe -- have never watched CJ, but just passing that on for anyone interested.

Thanks for the info Peggy. If you are able to watch it, will you post what it is here for us? I don't usually watch television.

If convicted of felony sexual assault, Bryant, 26, could be sentenced to four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, plus a fine of up to $750,000. He would have to register in Colorado as a sex offender. A conviction would void his new $136 million contract with the Lakers.

Wow, didn't know this about a conviction would void his Laker contract -- lots at stake here for him. Jury selection starts this week, with opening arguments scheduled for Sept 7, I believe..

washington post

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_BRYANT_CASE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

News organizations made a last-ditch plea Monday to get a broader look at jury selection in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case, telling a frustrated judge the public has the right to follow one of the key parts of the trial.
"There are constitutional rights at stake," media attorney Steven Zansberg said. "Not only the Sixth Amendment rights of the defendant, but the First Amendment rights of the press and public."
District Judge Terry Ruckriegle, however, said the media has known since December that public access to parts of jury selection in the high-profile case would be closed. He chastised the attorneys for making their appeal last week.
"You're asking that the court delay all proceedings until there's a determination made?" the judge asked. "(It is) unfortunate we couldn't have had the opportunity to discuss this earlier and work through a procedure."
Attorneys in the case were to question potential jurors individually behind closed doors beginning Monday after poring over the answers from 300 people to an 82-item questionnaire.
Among other things, the questionnaire asked candidates how they feel about interracial relationships, whether they have had "any negative experience with an African American" and whether they are biased against mental health experts.
Both sides agree juror questioning should be closed
~~With his client in the courtroom for the first time since jury selection began, defense attorney Hal Haddon said knowledge that reporters are listening could prompt jury candidates to clam up in what he called a "chilling of candor."
The judge did not immediately issue a decision
~~Following individual questioning, remaining candidates are expected to be brought into a courtroom as a group as early as Wednesday for the public portion of jury selection.

http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.com/news/0408/27a.html

Celebrity Justice has learned it may not be the prosecution’s case against Kobe Bryant that has the NBA star fearful, but rather his own tape-recorded statement to the police, in which, sources tell us Bryant was glib about a certain graphic sex act he enjoyed.

This deeply personal description of what some believe is a vile sex act is the kind of statement Kobe’s been fighting to keep under wraps. What sources say is on that interrogation tape is so graphic we can't provide specifics, but they tell us it’s something Bryant told the police he likes doing during sex.

"CJ’s" Executive Producer and attorney Harvey Levin says Kobe’s tape recorded statement is, "Not only relevant to the case, it is devastating to (Bryant’s) image."

Levin further notes the recording may validate what Bryant’s accuser has said: "We know that during the sexual encounter, the accuser says Kobe leaned in to her and asked if she liked it when a guy did something. I cannot be explicit here, but it involves a woman's face. She says she said ‘I do not like that;’ that’s when she says Kobe’s grip tightened."

"Now the cops asked Kobe about this statement, the next morning in the hotel room," Levin continues. "And, essentially, Kobe said ‘what’s the big deal? Yeah, I like it. I do it."

Sources say when Bryant was recorded talking to police his tone was glib, even harsh. His lawyers have asked the judge to exclude portions of the tape from evidence, but there’s no word yet on how the judge will rule.

~~~

Newswolf said:
http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.com/news/0408/27a.html

Celebrity Justice has learned it may not be the prosecution’s case against Kobe Bryant that has the NBA star fearful, but rather his own tape-recorded statement to the police, in which, sources tell us Bryant was glib about a certain graphic sex act he enjoyed.

This deeply personal description of what some believe is a vile sex act is the kind of statement Kobe’s been fighting to keep under wraps. What sources say is on that interrogation tape is so graphic we can't provide specifics, but they tell us it’s something Bryant told the police he likes doing during sex.

"CJ’s" Executive Producer and attorney Harvey Levin says Kobe’s tape recorded statement is, "Not only relevant to the case, it is devastating to (Bryant’s) image."

Levin further notes the recording may validate what Bryant’s accuser has said: "We know that during the sexual encounter, the accuser says Kobe leaned in to her and asked if she liked it when a guy did something. I cannot be explicit here, but it involves a woman's face. She says she said ‘I do not like that;’ that’s when she says Kobe’s grip tightened."

"Now the cops asked Kobe about this statement, the next morning in the hotel room," Levin continues. "And, essentially, Kobe said ‘what’s the big deal? Yeah, I like it. I do it."

Sources say when Bryant was recorded talking to police his tone was glib, even harsh. His lawyers have asked the judge to exclude portions of the tape from evidence, but there’s no word yet on how the judge will rule.

~~~
Thanks for your update - that is sort of what I heard also, too graphic to mention - wonder when the judge will rule on this, seems like it should be included since so much about accuser has been already leaked to public.

I hope KB looses his wife, daughter, job, money, the bling bling, and I think he maybe should be castrated. Why isn't that the punishment for child predators and serial rapists?? No DP needed. It is starting to look like (to me) that this young lady had full intention of bedding KB, and did bed him, but when he turned in to the monster he is (this was surprising to her??), she decided against it. Too late. And that is the best possible scenario with her "innocence" in mind. And if this "offended her so badly" why in the world was she talking about his family jewels?? Sounds like instant Karma to me... Too bad CO, rape victims, and rape victim laws suffered along with her...
Life is full of choices, and this chick chose wrong. Anyway ya look at it...
I wonder what in the world this "fetish" could possibly be... I think I might not wanna know at all... His poor poor wife... This has got to be just devastating. I am glad she went to a divorce attourney. I hope she takes it all...

Bhodi

Since it involves her face Im sure ,being the grown -ups we are,what it is he wanted was.......ahem,to "finish " on her face.

Hardly earth shatterring fetish stuff in the grand scheme of things AND it could be KB was just "talking dirty"-again that's quite 'normal'(if there is such a thing)

I don't think KB is a monster and I don't think he's a rapist and apparently that sort of act doesn't bother the AV as her rape kit swabs detected sperm OTHER THAN KB's on her FACE AND NECK (as well as thigh).

Honestly ,I think KB has learned a hard lesson and I wish him no ill will.
I feel bad this mistake he made has turned into such a public thing as infidelity should be an issue between his wife and himself not the world.

messiecake said:
Since it involves her face Im sure ,being the grown -ups we are,what it is he wanted was.......ahem,to "finish " on her face.

Hardly earth shatterring fetish stuff in the grand scheme of things AND it could be KB was just "talking dirty"-again that's quite 'normal'(if there is such a thing)

I don't think KB is a monster and I don't think he's a rapist and apparently that sort of act doesn't bother the AV as her rape kit swabs detected sperm OTHER THAN KB's on her FACE AND NECK (as well as thigh).

Honestly ,I think KB has learned a hard lesson and I wish him no ill will.
I feel bad this mistake he made has turned into such a public thing as infidelity should be an issue between his wife and himself not the world.

Messie,
if you are right, and all this hooplah is about "finishing", I am trying to figure out what the big freakin' deal is...
I automatically assumed it was borderline psychotic, with the wording and all, Kobe would be devasted??? His image would be over?? I don't get it.
I wish ill will upon KBKD because of his wife, his daughter, and all of the "little dribblers" (I used to be one of these kids) that look up to him. These people that are roll models are teaching the wrong lessons... That is the part that makes me sick. I think that affairs and all that crap should stay between a husband and wife, and I do think that his wife will take it all, but it is the kids that I feel so so so bad for. And the Standing Os he gets- sickening. I was one of those kids (played b ball in college for a while) that looked up to Kobe. He was an idol of mine. Him and Sheryl Swoopes were my two "heros". I am old enough to know better now, but it is the little kids that I know that really really look up to him, and try to be like him.
What I am gonna say next, well, I hope I don't get booted, but have you heard of the dirty sanchez? That is what I was thinking... If yall haven't heard of this, I wouldn't be surprised, but I will admit to visiting mulletsgalore.com alot, and they had the *advertiser censored* mullet section with this definition...
This girl is a piece of work aint' she?
This is getting downright dirty, and laughable a little, but it's my only way of coping with two idiots that helped launch a crusade against victims of rape. Knowingly or not....

Just read blurb in my paper that list of witnesses include accuser, her parents, her friends from area plus some for college, and some from some bar she apparently was at after incident (assume those would be defense witnesses). Then of course the expert ones plus Kobe's friends, I assume although that wasn't mentioned. Mostly talked about some questions on questionnaire and number of prospective jurors called--just wonder if they will complete questioning by Thursday (so opening arguments can begin next Tuesday). I have no idea what the quirky sex thing is, thought along Messie' idea, but CJ article makes it out to be something that is very lurid. Interesting to see how judge rules on this. Getting very close for trial to begin..

peggy said:
Just read blurb in my paper that list of witnesses include accuser, her parents, her friends from area plus some for college, and some from some bar she apparently was at after incident (assume those would be defense witnesses). Then of course the expert ones plus Kobe's friends, I assume although that wasn't mentioned. Mostly talked about some questions on questionnaire and number of prospective jurors called--just wonder if they will complete questioning by Thursday (so opening arguments can begin next Tuesday). I have no idea what the quirky sex thing is, thought along Messie' idea, but CJ article makes it out to be something that is very lurid. Interesting to see how judge rules on this. Getting very close for trial to begin..

Peggy, excuse my ignorance, but did you say that she went to a bar after being "raped"? Maybe that's where she picked up the other guy(s) she had sex with after she was with Kobe. She sure musta been traumatized!

peggy said:

Yes peggy,
this is my biggest dichotomy at mind here= I am struggling. I KNOW FOR A FACT that this young lady went out and "whooped it up" just a few days after the "attack". I know that she did not act like a victim by any stretch of the imagination. I already went through the whole ordeal of thinking her to be a victim regaurdless, but my reasoning crumbled underneath me with the rape kit evidence. If this was any other dude, maybe I wouldn't be so hard on him, but he is a roll model... a small price to pay for the money he gets... why not be a good one??? I don't think people really understand the impact it has upon children who really really look up to this man. It is more damaging than many can imagine. I know this as a coach, an athlete, a victim, and a woman...

I personally think the DA's better let this just go. They're not going to get a guilty verdict. And sounds like she doesn't want to testify anyway. I think she knows there's more of her "story" that's gonna be in question.

Thank you blueclouds...
I agree. I think they should drop the charges... but this could also lead in to unprecidented territory- the "good guys" admitting they might have done "bad things"?? Questionable... And even more questionable now, I used to think the pros actually beleived her to have been raped, I don't see how they could still feel this way...
I also think this young lady should be prosecuted. I don't think KB will be the one, and I don't see the DAs office pressing any charges either... but I can always hope, right?
What do others think of the Eagle County DAs office??

Bhodi

I think they (the Eagle County DA's office) thought this would bring revenue in ala the JonBenet Ramsey murder. The NE and Globe with their deep, deep pockets, the media paying for hotels, space for their tv crews to park and set up, etc. This was never about justice IMO, it was about a way to make money and gain national attention so people would be interested in coming there to "see where it happened".

Sometimes a proceeding isn't about justice, it's about politics and money...sad world we live in, but there it is.

Seeker said:
I think they (the Eagle County DA's office) thought this would bring revenue in ala the JonBenet Ramsey murder. The NE and Globe with their deep, deep pockets, the media paying for hotels, space for their tv crews to park and set up, etc. This was never about justice IMO, it was about a way to make money and gain national attention so people would be interested in coming there to "see where it happened".

Sometimes a proceeding isn't about justice, it's about politics and money...sad world we live in, but there it is.

Seeker,
I don't know what you are talking about... Vail has enough money... LOL!!!
I don't think they always "knew" that she was lying. What gets me, is they keep lying to themselves just to save their *advertiser censored*. The t-shirts were just horrible too. I think their biggest fault is not being able to admit that they made a mistake, and trying to hide it. This is horrible, but this case will bring to light all of these inconsistencies, and I don't think Eagle County is alone in this "problem". Too bad the next victim in Eagle Co. will pay the most...

EAGLE, Colo. - Attorneys for NBA star Kobe Bryant have asked the judge to dismiss the sexual assault charge against him with opening statements less than a week away, a court official said Wednesday.

Jurors are instructed to reach a verdict based only on evidence presented in court, something the judge called "a monumental task in this case."

article

hmm..what's this all about - supposedly something about defense upset because prosecution not calling Michael Baden as witness, but they knew that in July...then I don't understand what the judge's comment in clip above about "a momumental task" means either - between consensual and non-consensual sex? Otherwise, jury selection on track it seems.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back