GUILTY CO - Cops violently arrested woman with dementia, 73, laughed about it afterwards, 2021

Just awful. I dislocated my elbow when I was a teenager. It was excruciating but I only had to wait 15 minutes until I was given a pain killer and taken to OT to have it fixed. They left this poor woman handcuffed to a bench for six hours.

Three more officers on leave over arrest of woman, 73, with dementia
"The Loveland Police Department said Wednesday that the officers' actions during the arrest are now the subject of a criminal investigation led by District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin and the Fort Collins Police Services."

"McLaughlin said in a statement that he will consider the officers' comments about the arrest, along with other evidence, in making his charging decision."

Yes, 12 months later and it would not have come out without it. Their 'investigations' did not lead to anything. Only the lawsuit has.

Police video shows officers joking about violent arrest of Colorado woman, 73

Schielke [Karen Garner's attorney] said of the new footage: “If I didn’t release this, the Loveland police’s toxic culture of arrogance and entitlement, along with their horrific abuse of the vulnerable and powerless, would carry on, business as usual. I won’t be a part of that.”

Colorado officers who violently arrested 73-year-old with dementia laughed incident after, video shows

[13:42] SGT Blackett [to arresting officer Austin Hopp]: "Stupid question but I gotta ask, did you read her Miranda?"

Officer Hopp: "Nope. I did not."
The failure to give Miranda in this case is really probably irrelevant. It doesn't appear that the officers interrogated after her arrest or that they intended to. It might be interesting to know WHY he didn't Mirandize her however. Was it because he recognized she was not competent?

Last edited:
I saw that too. Normally, I would say, thats not relevant, stay out of people's personal lives. But here, it might actually be very relevant. In the booking room, Jalali doesn't seem thrilled looking at the video, maybe realizing things were not as she originally thought and not justified. But she doesn't stop the nonsense, and apparently doesn't report any violations. Of course she wouldn't, if the one responsible for abuse is her significant other. I wonder if Loveland PD and supervisors knew of their relationship? Almost certainly they did.

There should be a national data base to track LE officers who have been fired for cause. It isn't enough that they they quit voluntarily to avoid being fired.

No community should have to put up with rogue cops with a contempt for the citizenry they vow to protect. The very fact that they know they can just move to the next town suggests LE agencies don't really care about the egregious acts some of these individuals have engaged in. Surely, there are enough people out there who view policing as a community-based philosophy rather than an authoritarian one.

Policing isn't strapping on a gun and roaming the roads looking for the most vulnerable among us. Strenuous psychological testing should be de rigueur when hiring officers. Prior military service should not be a slam dunk when hiring; the principle of policing and military training are polar opposites. The community is not the enemy.

Law enforcements agencies shouldn't be investigating themselves. That could be considered a conflict of interest. Civilian bodies not associated with the hierarchy of law enforcement should be tasked with that role.

And the very fact that the officers only quit after the public outrage in relation to the video's release suggests that everyone in that organization is complicit and they are in serious CYA mode.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back