Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if my post unclear - The public defender's office can sometimes have a conflict of interest and not be able to defend all defendants requiring a public defender. The state then has no choice but to hire outside, private attorneys that agree to accept "court-appointed" cases i.e, a state or court-appointed lawyer such as LS requested.

Ahh, got it. Thanks!

The stepmother accused of killing 11-year-old Gannon Stauch has abandoned her bid to represent herself in court and will get court-appointed lawyers, according to documents made public Monday.

Fourth Judicial District Judge Gregory Werner on Friday ordered that Letecia Stauch will be represented by the same team of public defenders that she fired in late February.

The move came two days after Stauch filed a motion asking for representation, newly released legal filings show.

Stauch, 37, is expected at 3 p.m. Wednesday at a hearing set for appearance of counsel.

Stepmom in Gannon Stauch case drops bid to represent self

Letecia Stauch wants counsel after initially requesting to represent herself | FOX21 News Colorado

May 3, 2021

Stauch’s preliminary hearing is scheduled to start May 20, a brief delay from the original scheduled dates, after a judge agreed to let Stauch represent herself in court in February.

The witness list from the prosecution for the preliminary hearing was also released. Stauch’s daughter, Harley Hunt, is listed among others from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office and the FBI.

There are currently 26,101 pages of evidence in the case, according to prosecutors. That includes the 1,800 pages in the case core.

Hopefully they are giving her the same lawyers she had before, so it wont take as long for them to get up to speed (I assume).

Wasn't there also something with her representing herself, but also having an attorney assisting her? Or an attorney assigned to her that would be ready to take over if needed? I think I remember reading something like that, but I might be mis-remembering.

Well, Well, Well,

Leticia wants her Lawyers back. Lol. I guess her “ace in the hole” didn’t pan out. LOL

I had a feeling that HH might have been coerced to lie for Tee and that HH might have been Leticia’s big reveal. Guess not. Maybe that’s what HH will be testifying about at the Preliminary Hearing.

Just glad HH has spoken with LE. It’s the right decision.

I’m also relieved that Leticia won’t be defending herself. I have a feeling she will decline to attend just like for her Divorce Hearing.

What a piece of work and a huge waste of skin.

MOO

Great article by Lauren Scharf of FOX News
Letecia Stauch’s letter to judge explains why she wants to represent herself | FOX21 News Colorado
Letecia Stauch’s letter to judge explains why she wants to represent herself

COLORADO SPRINGS — On Wednesday, the court handling the murder of Gannon Stauch has unsealed a handwritten letter from Letecia Stauch to the judge, asking that she be allowed to represent herself.

Letecia Stauch is accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson Gannon, who she reported missing in late January of 2020. His remains were eventually found in Florida.

Letecia Stauch is charged with:

• Murder in the First Degree (Child Under Twelve – Position of Trust)
  • First-degree murder
  • Child Abuse Resulting in Death
  • Tampering with a Deceased Human Body
  • Tampering with Physical Evidence
  • Crime of violence (8 counts)
In the letter unsealed by the court, Letecia expressed her concern about her defense attorneys. She said she had concerns about privacy, and their “lack of ability to gather evidence.” Her main points were that communication was broken beyond repair, inconsiderate of evidence, sharing information with family members, and overlooking statute and evidence. She claims she hasn’t seen any evidence in a year.

<<< TO READ THE LETTER ADDRESSED TO JUDGE WERNER Download

She also mentioned in the letter that she was not mentally well. Letecia said that the attorneys were unable to obtain mental health records from South Carolina. She said that she was diagnosed with some type of illness (it was redacted in the letter) in 2016, after which she received treatment before work for over 28 hours of care. She explained further by saying that the school district let her medically resign. Letecia added that she was hospitalized in Canada for two days and when she returned home she received more treatment. She explained all of this to the judge so that he would understand why she was “all over the place some days” with her attorneys.

Also in the letter, Letecia believes that a doctor who was sent to examine her was actually an actress or friends with the District Attorney. She explained that the lady spoke to her about the D.A. in an unprofessional manner. She thinks her attorneys did this to make her look like a “perjurious individual.”

She also wrote, “indeed I am innocent” and alludes that two men are involved. She added that one man is a prominent member of an independent business. She said, “the court is holding the wrong person and for the wrong crimes.” She added that she’s been denied her rights under the constitution throughout the process.

Letecia concluded the letter by writing “my defense team is in cahoots with them (prosecution), I am left with no other choice but to represent myself.” Letecia continued by writing she was being held hostage for a crime she didn’t commit and that her mental health is getting worse.

Letecia Stauch’s preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 20.

To be clear, I believe LS acted alone. I also believe the AWA that states HH refused to talk to LE during the investigation -- most likely because she was prevented from doing so.

I am pleased that she is now better guided, on the right path, and hopefully doing the right thing for GS. MOO

Yes, I'm agree LS acted alone. My hopes for HH is that she's got someone supporting her emotionally after what has gone on. It's going to take her quite sometime to get over this.

I couldn't get TS's antics out of my head all night. I can't believe the judge let her have her counsel back (does he have to? Does he have the power to just tell her, "No, representing yourself is something you already agreed to"?), especially after what the judge went through to make sure she understood what representing herself entailed...

At least she only got back the counsel she fired, so they're already up to speed on the case. Maybe her goal all along was to try and get a new public defender because she didn't like the ones appointed to her.

I really don't think she should've been given legal representation back. She has literally never been made to feel consequences or accountability for her actions. This has to be contributing to her feeling like she's really the one running the show...

She'll find every single way possible to delay her reckoning day, but she'll still spend the rest of her life behind bars. Such a waste of time. MOO.

I couldn't get her out of my head either. I hate it lol
She really disliked her lawyers, opted out, but then decided that she couldn't handle it on her own, and wanted NEW lawyers. Then they appointed the same ones. So is she seething right now? or just biting the bullet?
I see more "constitutional rights violations" arguments coming from her sometime soon, because she didn't get whatever "type" of lawyer she was thinking of when she made her request. moo

She really disliked her lawyers, opted out, but then decided that she couldn't handle it on her own, and wanted NEW lawyers. Then they appointed the same ones. So is she seething right now? or just biting the bullet?
I see more "constitutional rights violations" arguments coming from her sometime soon, because she didn't get whatever "type" of lawyer she was thinking of when she made her request. moo

I'm wondering if LS will bring that up on Wednesday?

I can see that being a somewhat valid argument after LS trashed her former attorneys in a letter addressed to Judge Werner when requesting to represent herself.

However -- the letter only proved that LS was uncomfortable without any proof or evidence her allegation made in the letter are true.

And just how extremely rare anything LS alleges is true?

MOO

ETA: adding link to LS handwritten, redacted, request for the court to appoint an attorney for her and NOT re-appoint the PDO to represent her. She did not want her old team back in the saddle! I think Judge Werner will most likely advise LS on Wednesday that unless she can prove her allegations true, she's going to trial with her old team.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...t/El_Paso/Stauch/Motion Regarding Counsel.pdf

Last edited:
Creepily reminiscent of Jodi Arias trial. Smarter than everyone in the room. Fires her lawyers. Representing herself. Asking for new lawyers. Wasting courts precious time. She will be sentenced for murder one day. She is going nowhere but prison.

Don’t think the judge will allow her arguments.

I'm hopeful, but my verdict's still out on what HH will say and how much she'll tell/say against her mother. I hope she's come around, but some things I've seen on SM make me feel otherwise. We can always hope she's seen the light and realizes what her poor step brother had to endure.

MOO JMO
The State likely called HH to verify evidence they already have. She is likely a hostile witness.

Strategic prelim move?

Imagine if T believed she has an ace in the hole star witness, only to have her ace show up instead on the prosecution's witness list.

That'll knock your flag down a few pegs.

There's probably another letter in the works.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member