GUILTY CO - Grandma locks 13yr old in kennel while working

Gosh, I must be the only permissive Mom here. At 13, many are babysitting other peoples kids. I know I was. So was my daughter. 13 can go either way as far as maturity. They may be capable of babysitting someone else's children, or need a babysitter themself. It comes down to teaching them responsibility and good judgement.

I know when my folks adopted me, the judge that handled the adoption said that a parents main job is to raise that child to be independant and able to take care of themself. Which basically is what a parent does, in stages. They learn to dress themselves, tie their own shoes, cook for themselves, do chores, etc. and all of that is just steps towards independence.

<Shrugs> Can't keep them on that apron sting forever.

Jeana (DP) said:
You won't get blasted! I promise. My 19-year old sister was abducted from my mother's house in the middle of the night. There was another 19-year old abudcted while sunbathing in her mother's back yard surrounded by a 10-foot high fence. I'm sure that your son is very able and I pray to God that his talents in martial arts never have to be put to the test. However, the facts are that bad things happen every day. As a mother, I give my kids as much freedom as I feel good about. I know I can't protect them every minute of their lives, but while they're minors living in my home, I'm going to do everything I can!! ;)
Thanks Jeana, and I agree, about wanting to protect our children,and I have no doubt at all what a wonderful parent you are...I gather that from all I read on your posts. But, yeah, but, they must be able to also protect themselves IMO. Our children are blessed to have us..someday they will realize.

I am sorry about your sister...so sorry. Have no words to express that to you. I hope you know my sincerity. I can not imagine. Is this what brought you to WS, is your sisters story on here or somewhere? I am sorry you and all involved had to endure such an event. I truly can not imagine.

(BTW, off topic, I had asked in another thread and I think you didnt' see, is DP in your name for Death Penalty, I never know what DP is for and I"m so curious!)

TallCoolOne said:
Gosh, I must be the only permissive Mom here. At 13, many are babysitting other peoples kids. I know I was. So was my daughter. 13 can go either way as far as maturity. They may be capable of babysitting someone else's children, or need a babysitter themself. It comes down to teaching them responsibility and good judgement.

I know when my folks adopted me, the judge that handled the adoption said that a parents main job is to raise that child to be independant and able to take care of themself. Which basically is what a parent does, in stages. They learn to dress themselves, tie their own shoes, cook for themselves, do chores, etc. and all of that is just steps towards independence.

<Shrugs> Can't keep them on that apron sting forever.
Thanks for saying what I meant in a clearer way, that's exactly what I was trying to say hehehe

christine2448 said:
Thanks Jeana, and I agree, about wanting to protect our children,and I have no doubt at all what a wonderful parent you are...I gather that from all I read on your posts. But, yeah, but, they must be able to also protect themselves IMO. Our children are blessed to have us..someday they will realize.

I am sorry about your sister...so sorry. Have no words to express that to you. I hope you know my sincerity. I can not imagine. Is this what brought you to WS, is your sisters story on here or somewhere? I am sorry you and all involved had to endure such an event. I truly can not imagine.

(BTW, off topic, I had asked in another thread and I think you didnt' see, is DP in your name for Death Penalty, I never know what DP is for and I"m so curious!)

Thanks darlin!! That sort of thing changes us in ways that never are fully known. My sisters are the same way with their kids. Unfortunately, they're probably more "victims" of whomever did this to my sister. They probably feel as though they're smothered a little bit, but that's too bad! LOL My two youngest have been very protected and are probably pretty naive compared to other children. However, they don't seem any more so than their friends. I think living in a small town makes them even more so. I'm one of the few moms who works outside the home and I only work part time. I'll be the first to admit that we live in "Stepford," but I sought out this type of neighborhood in which to raise my family. We feel protected there, but not so much that we are not careful.

My sister's case isn't here. Most of the cases here that I moderate are tough enough on me. There's no way I could handle the day-to-day of reliving her 11-year absence.

The "DP" is a nickname from my husband. After a few shopping trips with me, he started calling me "deep pockets." From there, "DP" and now he just calls me "P" or "peewee." :D

Being a parent is hard. One the one hand you want to protect your kids from everything. On the other hand, you want them to have some trial and error experience so that they have at least some experience before they are out on their own. Also, how much and what experiences a kid is allowed to have is a very individual situation. Some kids can handle more "experience" very well, others need more guidance. Depends on the kid and on the parent.

I can understand that this grandmother had suffered losses also. I can understand that she probably didn't plan on becoming a parent again at her age. But things happen and they weren't this kids fault. I find it hard to believe that she couldn't find someone she could leave this kid with on the nights she worked. While I know it is hard to get child care for kids this age, and especially evenings and nights, I find it really hard to believe that she couldn't find anyone to keep him of an evening and at night. Even if he had to spend the evening alone and go somewhere to spend the night. But even if she couldn't, she still had a choice to say I can't care for him and make other arrangements.

I have to agree with the post about other abuse. I can't imagine a child going for that unless he was really afraid.

May 2007:

Defense attorney Sharlene Reynolds had asked Bockman to sentence Candelario to probation, arguing that she had been depressed because of a series of deaths in her family, clouding her decisionmaking and judgment.

Recently, Candelario made a list of 52 ways to kill herself, wrote her own obituary and purchased an ash urn engraved with her name, her date of birth and a spot for her date of death, Reynolds said.

Reynolds showed the urn to the judge Friday and then set it on the defense table for the remainder of the hearing.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5878108

:boohoo:

[Prosecutor] Moore argued that Candelario's recent depression was brought on by her arrest, a felony charge and a possible prison sentence.

May 2007:

A 62-year-old woman was sentenced to three years in prison for locking her grandson inside a dog kennel every night for three years while she went to work as a jail counselor.

Under a plea bargain, June Candelario was also sentenced Friday to one year of probation...

Candelario, a former state trooper, put the boy in a 4 foot by 3 foot (1.2 by 1 meter) kennel each day at 4 p.m. and let him out hours later when she returned from work, authorities said...

The boy's foster mother said the boy refused to attend sentencing because he remains afraid of Candelario.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/granny-sentenced-for-caging-grandson

image2794177x.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo