CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at my kids school, one of the kids started talking about what happened inGolden the other night, and how the boy ran away screaming and got to his mom. The teacher heard it, and told them about Jessica, how she was kidnapped and killed. I had already told my children this, but what if I hadn't told them about the murder? Mixed feelings on how teachers should handle this. My other child's class, however, has not spoken of it. The school as a whole has not spoken of it. I wish there was some uniformity.

The schools need to address this, in some way, in my opinion. But I imagine they fear angry parents who want to keep this sort of thing from their children. It is a tough call; seems like maybe a general assembly, with parents and also psychologists on hand, something like that?

I can't think of too many cases where a child was murdered by a non-family member, and it was never solved. Can anyone think of any in the last five years? (I am only talking about cases where the child's body was found).

When I looked up unsolved murders of girls ages 5-13 in Colorado, the most recent one was 1999.

I can't think of too many cases where a child was murdered by a non-family member, and it was never solved. Can anyone think of any in the last five years? (I am only talking about cases where the child's body was found).

When I looked up unsolved murders of girls ages 5-13 in Colorado, the most recent one was 1999.

So many without bodies...
No I can't think of any offhand either, where the perp is believed to have been a stranger and still unsolved, in recent years.

First time poster, been lurking for some time, and have a point of clarification and a bit of information I have not seen yet in this thread.

1. It was suggested by Otto that some one might have driven around the loop of roads off of 82nd to hide their car, etc. This is not possible as there are gates at both entrances to these dirt roads.

2. No one has pointed out the fact that the backpack was found just a few 'feet' from the former home of a mother who suffocated her newborn... Stephanie Rochester.
This reporter seems to be the only one who has picked up on this detail (at the end of the article):
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...ca-ridgeway-moves-superior-backpack-discovery

This story was heartbreaking in the Boulder area and received some metro attention, but not much out side of the area. I cannot help but wonder if the backpack location is more than just coincidental....

Welcome to Websleuths! :seeya:

I'm just jumping back in here and haven't read the past few pages, so someone may have addressed this point. A few folks have pointed out the location of the backpack being close to the home where the infant was suffocated. I believe someone - can't remember who - speculated that it may have been due to postpartum psychosis. So it has been discussed, but thanks for the reminder.

And thanks for the local input, especially about the gates...

Hey guys I sent a PM to Peter Brendt, who studies these guys for a living pretty much. I threw out some ideas I have discussed here and friends on my face book and what profilers and police not working the case said. Here is a rough profile by him. Thanks Peter!

Hi,

I didn't look too deep in the details yet, but I tend to agree with "most profilers" in this case. Plus I would liketo add somethings:

1.) He is not only organized, he is also experienced. He did not only plan it, he also had the experience to avoid the usual mistakeswhen a firsttimerdoesplaning.

2.) He has probably killed before and he will again.Yes,dismembering a body is a nasty business and it takes some hardened mind to do it. Such an MO doesn't develop over night. So my guess is, he has thought about it a long time more than once executed it. That tells me, he is rather 30-40 years old. He has probably priors for molesting little girls and maybe served time for rape of a girl in the pre-nubile age bracket.

3.) He has internet access, which supports the theory, he has his own place. Heisnot a homeless predator of opportunity. He knew, from the perv list in the internet, a known sex offender lived where he dropped the backpack. The interesting point is, there was more than one sex offender, he could have chosen from for his distraction maneuver. So, even it's a longshot, it would be worth to look in the prison history of his scapegoat and look who he had trouble with in prison.

4.) For most sexual motivated child killers,coveting starts with seeing. However, most of them, especially those who served already time and thereforelearned aboutforensic counter measures, don't kill where they live. And they don't abduct form there. Especially not the organized ones. So my guess is, he worked in that area. There are three categories of jobs, this kind of offender likes: Trucker, handyman and everything, that brings him in contact with children. Since he is most likelysomewhere(can bein anotherstate though) on a sex offender list, he will not apply for teacher positions, even he is maybe qualified. Given the area, my guess is handyman. Roofer, window repairs, something that gives him during work vantage points. And he worked there while Jessica was there, he could see her.

5.) He is male (obviously), most likely Caucasian (I give that 70% chance over the thumb), 30-40 years old. He has his own place and it is not just an apartment in a crowded building. He needs privacy, so most likelya smallresidence somewhere. The placewill beapproximately opposite direction from the abduction site to the direction and about the same distance but at least two to three miles from the abduction site, the backpack was found, because either he picked that other predator as scapegoat because he didn't like him or it was a directional thing. He is physically fit and had the self esteem to risk, he may have to subdue her, if she would get suspicious about him. But more likely, he knew her and she knew him. That doesn't mean relative or neighbor, but for kids, someone they see all the time, doesn't count as stranger.

6.) The timing was impeccable. That tells me, he watched her for some time and knew her routines. He could get that part only by stalking which means, he missed work time. So in his work records, LE will find "flu" likedays of being not at work.

7.) He lives alone. That doesn't mean, he was never married or never had a girl friend, but currently, he livesalone or he wouldn't had the privacy. Gacyforexamplewent hunting,when his wife was visiting relatives.

8.) He works for a company and uses therefore often a company truck or van, depending on his job. But private, hedrivesprobably an older unobtrusive car, probably a sedan. He has enough self-esteem not to go for something flashy. So witnesses may have watched in the area a midsize or small sedan, Chevy, Toyota, maybe Honda, which has circled a littletillhe found the right parking spot. He had to, because he came already with a plan and for that, he needed the car at hand to be able to leave quickly with the girl. If I get his mindset right, he may have even filled up thegas tank in the area in the last hour before the abduction.

9.) He is probably a psychopath, the question is, what variant of the same old subject. I don't think, he is primarily a narcissist. No bragging,no taunting,just effective. Maybe, rather in the power-assertion range, even he left thetime of total lack of self-esteem long behind. Heis definitively a pedophile, but I can't say, whether he is preferential. Statistics says, the chances he is are about 60-70%. That would mean, there are more bodies. Since he is maybe not from the state and probably moved after he was released from an earlier prison time, those bodies can be anywhere, we look for missing girls of approximately the same age and appearance. Given his estimated age,aboutfiveto eightyearsback. Beforethator overlapping would be also a string of rapes with the same kind of victimology. Additionally, he may would have a history of petty crimes, mostly thefts (that comes with the packageaspsychopath).

So those are my first thoughts. Feel free to use them, I won't post them, I am busy with some other cases anyway.

Peter

Hey guys I sent a PM to Peter Brandt, who studies these guys for a living pretty much. I through out some ideas I have discussed here and friends on my face book and what profilers and police not working the case said. Here is a rough profile by him. Thanks Peter!

Wow. Based on that info, I'm wondering if he also chose Jessica b/c he knew her mom worked nights and would be 'out' shortly after Jessica walked out the door. I believe this has been brought up by others around here, but reading this reply from Peter made me think of it again. :(

Wow. Based on that info, I'm wondering if he also chose Jessica b/c he knew her mom worked nights and would be 'out' shortly after Jessica walked out the door. I believe this has been brought up by others around here, but reading this reply from Peter made me think of it again. :(

You know, actually... I don't think we've talked about this on here, but I wonder if Jessica's mom, gma or aunt owned their own home? Do they rent?

A landlord, or prop. management company, would have a handyman. When I used to rent and we had to call the prop. management company, we would have to tell the landlord when we would be home for a repair to be done. Or, the time that I rented and the landlord was the handyman, he knew my routine very well --- I willingly told him, so he could either go to fix something when I was there, or when I wasn't there, so I wouldn't be disturbed when I was home.

If she's a homeowner... did she have any repairs done recently? Did a neighbor have any small construction job done? Cable installed? Gutters cleaned??

But prop. mgmt. co. handyman, or landlord handyman... they would have access... they would know exactly who lived there... they would know what your employment situation was... they would definitely know your routines. They would also have a truck or van, and tools.

Well thought out post.

Yes I am Australian.

Regarding the crime stats - I'm not sure where you are quoting them from.

Regarding general safety in our comparative societies - I don't have to worry about my kids getting shot at school, while they're asleep in their own beds, or when they're walking down a street.

Shootings like that may be just as rare in white middle class communities but we both know they are common place in other areas. It's not "did someone get shot today" in Detroit or Chicago, for example, it's "how many got shot". I am sure the doctors in those ER's have opinions on the gun laws.

:banghead:

Sadly I think that eventually you will have better gun control in the states. It will get to the stage where there is a school massacre every second week in even the most well-bred communities and people will finally be forced to realise their kids are killing each other.

It's just a shame its going to cost so many innocent lives in the meantime.

:dunno:

ETA it is not my intention to have a gun debate on this thread.

:cheers:

I'm so glad to hear you don't want a gun debate here since it's a missing person forum. But since you mention our country's laws and what you think against them so much, I'd like to point out many lives have been saved, because people have guns to defend themselves. It's our freedom and choice to defend ourselves anyway we can and not hand over our rights and freedoms so easily. Predators have knives also and can kill just as easily. Anyway, msthinksalot put it much better than me.

Hi all. Just now catching up on this case... does anyone know if *ALL* of her remains have been located or are they keeping that info close to the vest?

Hi all. Just now catching up on this case... does anyone know if *ALL* of her remains have been located or are they keeping that info close to the vest?

No official word on that.

Are you talking about just Colorado?

Hi everyone, just getting caught up...nice to see so many fellow community members here giving there local perspectives and insights. My brain is completely overworked, so please forgive me if I don't sound very clear.

Even though we don't know the extent of the dismemberment, the fact that it has been mentioned at all is significant.

LE are under no obligation at all to make that part public.

Indeed. Especially since they are being soooo tight lipped about everything else.

My impression of this initially while it was all unfolding live locally in real time was that it was mentioned bc there was soooo much pressure on them to id the body, as we were all still frantically looking for Jessica...It seemed to be taking so long, and back then, it seemed like they mentioned "not intact" to explain why it was taking so long. In hind sight, they didn't have to release this publicly, did they?

Perhaps they were of the mindset that it was going to come out eventually. It has been obvious that there some police leaks with ties to certain media, not to mention spouses of LE working the case, etc.

In addition to this, I think they may have been delaying the announcement so as to get them to Friday...meaning, The announcement came at 4pm Friday, when all the kids are out of school and with their families for the weekend. With a public crisis already unfolding, I don't think they wanted to make an announcement of postive ID midweek or during school hours. As a teacher, I'm sure they made the call that the schools are simply not equipped for this, to handle the effect on the kids....this is horrific for an adult and community member, but you want to talk about how confusing, etc this is for the kids. The same day she was found, before it was announced, all the kids in all the schools are wearing purple, there are events planned to "bring her home" etc etc.

Hey guys I sent a PM to Peter Brandt, who studies these guys for a living pretty much. I through out some ideas I have discussed here and friends on my face book and what profilers and police not working the case said. Here is a rough profile by him. Thanks Peter!

Simply do not know how to respond.......can some one respond for me ...Please

If she's a homeowner... did she have any repairs done recently? Did a neighbor have any small construction job done? Cable installed? Gutters cleaned??

But prop. mgmt. co. handyman, or landlord handyman... they would have access... they would know exactly who lived there... they would know what your employment situation was... they would definitely know your routines. They would also have a truck or van, and tools.

Indeed. I'm suuuure LE would be looking into this as standard procedure...they seem to be as on top of this tthat is humanly possible. Who has been in home lately? On sooo many crime shows there are direct links to they handyman, security alarm guy, carpet guy, etc.)

From peters profiling.

Trucker? I hadnt really thought of that. He would have to live local in order to not be super obvious, or have a rental car.

I just keep thinking that there were 8 hours from time of abduction to time of report. The perp could have killed her within an hour and been in UT, KS, WY or NM. If it was a trucker, possibly he came back through a few days later and dropped off the backpack.

He also mentioned construction worker. I know several people who have been traveling for construction work. So maybe it was someone who is working there during the week and is gone on weekends. Say he grabbed Jessica Friday morning then headed home to UT (an example). Sunday night he heads back to town for work and drops the backpack.

You know, actually... I don't think we've talked about this on here, but I wonder if Jessica's mom, gma or aunt owned their own home? Do they rent?

A landlord, or prop. management company, would have a handyman. When I used to rent and we had to call the prop. management company, we would have to tell the landlord when we would be home for a repair to be done. Or, the time that I rented and the landlord was the handyman, he knew my routine very well --- I willingly told him, so he could either go to fix something when I was there, or when I wasn't there, so I wouldn't be disturbed when I was home.

Own ... not rent.

When they had the balloon release in the park where she was supposed to meet her friends I instantly thought her killer would probably be there. It gave me the shivers just thinking of all those kids there with balloons for this creep to scope out.

BTW, first post on WS here. I'm not really sure where to start! I've been lurking from my iPhone for several days because I'm too lazy to log in and type with my iPhone and I dislike using the desktop, but I finally did it :D

A little about me: married, mom of two, and have lived in the Denver metro area for about seven months. (Transplant from Charleston, SC.) I'm an anthropology major and considering child advocacy law as a career.

Little Jessica was taken on my son's third birthday this year and anytime I hear of a child dying or going missing on a happy day in my life it makes me feel strangely guilty. For my daughter's fourth birthday (October 9) we were actually in Westminster at the Butterfly Pavilion and all I could think about was how they were still looking for her and how could all these people in this community just go on knowing someone was missing and in danger.

Earlier this summer we attended a little friend's birthday party at a large park in Westminster and I noticed that it is a lovely community (like many suburbs of Denver tend to be) and this one had a noticeable police presence - not because of a high crime rate, but to make it known that their force is no-nonsense. Obviously this person who did this is daring, to say they least - the way he taunted LE and the FBI with this child's backpack and took his time with disposing of her body - but to do it in a town where LE is quite vigilant really worries me. We live in an equally quiet suburb of Denver and only about a 20 minute drive from Westminster/Arvada, and I've been even more of a helicopter parent than I already am since October 5 because of what has happened to this poor little girl. I'm pretty sure all of our newly-made friends think I'm insane now. :|

EDIT: Lots of people call me Sass (hence, sassysleuth). You are all welcome to do the same!

Sweet little Jessica's murder broke my heart. Is it just the naive hope of a newbie that this man will be caught soon and punished? Did so many of you have the same feeling about previous child abduction and murders with a similar amount of evidence and publicity?
This is my first ever post. I've admired the various quick/logical/imaginative minds on Websleuths for several years and finally registered. Not sure I can contribute much-but i might chime in from time to time. :cheers: :eek:nline:

This I do agree with..as well as the idea that this person has a comfortable connection with nature and the terrain of the area.

:welcome2:

Glad you both joined!

The part that caught my attention was filling up with gas in the area in the hour prior to the abduction ... that seems like a very good thing to follow up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingi