CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get too philosophical--and I can't imagine I'm the first person to say such a thing here--but a certain sense of morbid curiosity is part of human nature; I think Stephen King described that desire to 'look under the sheet' best as part of the curiosity about and knowledge of our own mortality. (And if that part of human nature did not exist, Stephen King would not be a bazillionaire, and Ann Rule would not be so well known amongst many of us.)

I think any of us who are seriously drawn to true crime share that horrified (emphasis on horrified) fascination. I can't handle seriously graphic stuff and I would never 'exploit' or profit from such things, but I understand people's desire to know, and to try to understand, even when that means facing the horrific.

I've gone and looked for some of the JR photos referred to, but at the same time always been pretty relieved that I don't see anything obvious.

....and this is only the top 100 in Colorado. Makes you afraid of walking out the front door. Just frightening.

RBBM: Ain't that the truth...Good gawd.

IMO, JMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

I can't get it out of my head whether things might have turned out differently if the school had reached the family when they called that morning. I know it's useless to wonder "what if". I try to tell myself it was most likely already too late...

I do not think she was alive long after she was taken. So I do not think time would have saved her life. I think the only thing it would have done was change what he did & possibly how he acted. Had this hit the news right away the only things I can see changing are body and backpack might have been placed in a different location since he knew people would be out and about looking for her. Having the heat on him to get rid of evidence he might have screwed up. He may have freaked out more and been more nervous thinking if he did everything he needed to do causing those in his life to question him in their minds.

Having all those hrs he would have been able to do everything he needed check and make sure it was all done and been able to compose himself enough to maybe not be so weird in front of family and friends. Though I'm picturing someone with a family but not very involved with family.

Warning ... somewhat graphic

Without going into detail, it was only by looking that the images posted here yesterday that I came to understand the crime better. I initially thought that this crime was carried out at the location where the body was found. I no longer believe that. I also now find it easier to understand the police statement that someone in the area is responsible. It's my opinion that Jessica was taken to a building (shop, garage, home, etc.). I think that one of these locations is where she was assaulted and murdered. I suspect that she was transported to the culvert area late Friday night/early Saturday morning. I think that someone was using power tools late Friday night ... and anyone that heard this should take note ... it's not a normal time to be using power tools ... like a skill saw. Much as I did not want to see the images, after they were posted, I used them to better understand the crime scene.

jmo

I don't understand why you think power tools would be necessary? This kind of horrific mutilation can easily be carried out with hand tools...even a sharp knife...if one were inclined to do something like that.
Remember, hunters in the field don't carry power tools and manage quite well without them.

I was JUST thinking about BTK. Yes, he did have a long period 'off' with a wife, children and a steady job. I don't recall what triggered him again. It would be interesting to know though. BTK really didn't follow a specific victimology so much, IMO. His was more of a sexual deviant nature.

BTK was all about power and control if I remember correctly, he was not nice on the job.:twocents:
He was an animal control coordinator or something like that.

I do not think she was alive long after she was taken.

Agree, but it's because I associate this case with Samantha Runnion (sp) and I don't think she was alive very long. I have to go look that one up now.

Edited to add: Yeah, Samantha was killed the same day she was taken.

I think LE should come out and say more to the public about what to look for in this perp. They just give a general idea..and not knowing if she was not intact because of the perp or animals..would make a diff.....Maybe someone did hear something that should be reported..but they don't tell people to look for those kind of things. I know it could be very sensitive..but someone may have heard a saw or something and isn't thinking any thing about it. Most of Co isn't on here reading so they wouldn't know what to report...except what they are saying..look for someone strange ..doing strange things.....that is pretty much what they say in every case.

BTK was all about power and control if I remember correctly, he was not nice on the job.:twocents:
He was an animal control coordinator or something like that.

Lol, I know. I would have hated him from the 1st second of meeting him and gotten the heebiejeebies.

Since Bundy is getting some face time here, I would have never seen anything there until it was too late. It would have taken me too long to guess just what that little something was. But everyone loved him, even that Governor Campaign he did. He was just mister nice guy, average looking yuppy wannabe', until Mr. Hyde came out.

I don't understand why you think power tools would be necessary? This kind of horrific mutilation can easily be carried out with hand tools...even a sharp knife...if one were inclined to do something like that.
Remember, hunters in the field don't carry power tools and manage quite well without them.

I think especially for a man.

JMO

#16 on the 100 Most Wanted Sex Offenders in Colorado scares the bejesus out of me. And what's even more frightening he's wanted....:what::what::what:

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

Quite right ... I could be mistaken. Power tool is one possibility, hunting knife is another. Hunting knife would also be consistent with investigator statements that the murderer knew what he was doing.

I don't know what type of tools were used, but as far as all the hunters I know, they basically just "gut" the deer or boar or whatever and never remove the limbs.

IMO, this perp wasn't using power tools for much of anything. If he was in a neighborhood, the noise could have drawn neighbor attention/complaints. In light of what he may have been discovered doing, I don't think he would have risked bringing anyone to his door to inquire.

Lol, I know. I would have hated him from the 1st second of meeting him and gotten the heebiejeebies.

Since Bundy is getting some face time here, I would have never seen anything there until it was too late. It would have taken me too long to guess just what that little something was. But everyone loved him, even that Governor Campaign he did. He was just mister nice guy, average looking yuppy wannabe', until Mr. Hyde came out.

Heck, he was even friends with (LEO/crime reporter!!) Ann Rule and she had no idea until the circumstantial evidence piled up and piled up. I think he was the exception to the typical serial killer profile though wasn't he?

I don't know what type of tools were used, but as far as all the hunters I know, they basically just "gut" the deer or boar or whatever and never remove the limbs.

Multiple instances of recent murderers who "dismembered" their victims without power tools though. Zahra Baker is the first to come to mind. Step-mother managed to do that in the family bathtub with no apparent problems, dumped the body parts and cleaned up all the evidence within a few hours.

Agree, but it's because I associate this case with Samantha Runnion (sp) and I don't think she was alive very long. I have to go look that one up now.

Edited to add: Yeah, Samantha was killed the same day she was taken.

I think part of it for me is the fact that I really do not want to think that she had to suffer that long.

BBM

I may be weird, but that's precisely the kind of person who does creep me out!!

Heck, he was even friends with (LEO/crime reporter!!) Ann Rule and she had no idea until the circumstantial evidence piled up and piled up. I think he was the exception to the typical serial killer profile though wasn't he?

Not really, many SKs fly under the radar screen hidden behind a cloak of "normalcy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517