CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just aware of things but if I knew someone was missing and I saw a backpack at 12am and checked it out the next morning I would have thought it was odd not just someone leaving it.

He didn't know she was missing.

Nothing personal but the man that found the backpack must have been pretty unaware. The backpack was found less than a mile from her house correct? I'm sure the news on the morning of the 6th lead with the Amber Alert. Going that full day having no clue is being cut off from the world. Not in anyway saying he's involved just completely unaware. I live close enough to a school that in my comings and goings if something major was going on i'd notice.

I'm sure he didn't know she was missing I just don't get how someone can be that unaware.

I think my greater point was missed in that, just a random backpack outside would be noticed and reported especially if it was 5 days after she was missing and the whole city knew she was missing. The entire point in bringing up terrorism was that EVEN if people didn't know she was missing you would think they would be vigilant enough to realize the backpack was out of place. My statement was merely a reason why I believe that the backpack was left after the fact not something dumped and not found for 5 days. When I search for lost dogs I not only walk the area but I also drive every road in the area so even search and rescue and people wanting to help would have driven down this street.

It wasn't 5 days for the backpack. The amber alert was late Friday and on 10 PM news. The backpack was spotted very early Sunday morning/Late Saturday night.

My observations and opinion about the cross:

(I apologize if this has already been suggested as I haven't had a chance to read all the previous posts on the subject)

The cross is not very well executed, in terms of the carving. One arm is longer than the other, and one arm curves a bit more than the other. The cross is typically very symmetrical and all right angles. Even in folk culture handi-crafts, people that make these type of objects do it with a much higher level of precision, given the fact that they do it for so many hours of the day.
I believe the cross may have been made by the perp, or acquired by the perp in one of two places, prison or some kind of religious summer camp. It reminds me of something a person in jail would make, as many inmates find god in jail and are encouraged to participate in bible study and meetings of a religious nature. The other possibility is that the perp made this at some point in his/her life in a church camp type setting, where arts and crafts of a religious nature are often one of the activities available for attendees to participate.

I am not going to speculate about the reasons this was left by the perp at this point, although I do have some ideas.
However, I think there is a good chance that the markings were made by the perp, and hopefully they aren't some sick tally of his previous murders, although that would be something straight out of a thriller novel.

It wasn't 5 days for the backpack. The amber alert was late Friday and on 10 PM news. The backpack was spotted very early Sunday morning/Late Saturday night.

Thanks for clearing that up. Someone had said 5 days last page but someone also corrected that person earlier in this page. Timeline makes more sense.

So spotted possibly after the search ended on Saturday night.

In the last thread someone said the backpack was found several days after Jessica disappeared. She vanished on Friday and the backpack was reported to police on Sunday, having been placed there between 6:45 PM and 12am to 1am (Saturday evening/night).

Disappeared 10/5. Backpack placed 10/6 and reported to LE on 10/7.

MOO

Yes, my bad...I was thinking about the body discovery, not the backpack. I was wrong and I do apologize. The backpack was seen sometime Sat evening or early morning Sunday.

Nothing personal but the man that found the backpack must have been pretty unaware. The backpack was found less than a mile from her house correct? I'm sure the news on the morning of the 6th lead with the Amber Alert. Going that full day having no clue is being cut off from the world. Not in anyway saying he's involved just completely unaware. I live close enough to a school that in my comings and goings if something major was going on i'd notice.

It was actually several miles away, in a completely different neighborhood. Also, other than the news/television/internet, there isn't an easy way for people to be aware of Amber Alerts. Also, he discovered the backpack days after Jessica went missing. If my recollection is correct, he emailed his community listserv thinking it was dropped on his property by some neighborhood kid.

I think my greater point was missed in that, just a random backpack outside would be noticed and reported especially if it was 5 days after she was missing and the whole city knew she was missing. The entire point in bringing up terrorism was that EVEN if people didn't know she was missing you would think they would be vigilant enough to realize the backpack was out of place. My statement was merely a reason why I believe that the backpack was left after the fact not something dumped and not found for 5 days. When I search for lost dogs I not only walk the area but I also drive every road in the area so even search and rescue and people wanting to help would have driven down this street.

The person who found the backpack and read her name on the water bottle didn't even realize she was the missing girl. (I don't even know if he was aware a child was missing. But he didn't recognize the name, anyway.) And apparently it is not common for kids to leave their stuff lying around in that neighborhood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BBM - It was found about 6 miles away. It was reported to LE less than 48 hours after the amber alert was issued.

It was actually several miles away, in a completely different neighborhood. Also, other than the news/television/internet, there isn't an easy way for people to be aware of Amber Alerts. Also, he discovered the backpack days after Jessica went missing. If my recollection is correct, he emailed his community listserv thinking it was dropped on his property by some neighborhood kid.

Exactly. He noticed it late Saturday/Sunday morning, when he came home from being out. Saw it was still there the next day (Sunday) and posted to the ListServ. On an earlier thread, a local posted the ListServ messages related to the backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think people don't watch the news more than we know. A young woman about my age was dismembered in a shocking and horrific way and the case unraveled in a very dramatic way there was fear because the person wasn't caught right away and it got overwhelming news coverage and I cannot tell you how many of my friends had no idea even though it happened in our town. I would bring it up and they would be like huh? What? Someone died? What are you talking about?
More people don't watch the news or necessarily discuss the news than one would realize. I definitely believe the neighbors who claim they had no idea a girl was missing near them.
I do think, overall, that it probably was left after dark. I just don't assume literally everyone knew right away that she was missing or that a backpack should invoke immediately calling LE. Him emailing a community listserv first seems reasonable to me.

Thanks, gliving for highlighting that. The remains were INSIDE the bag, not scattered by animals.

Ah spamelope, it doesn't say that though, does it? The workers found a bag with body parts. It doesn't say if the bag was disturbed or torn. How does one explain the exposed torso?

:waitasec:

Good. So the search paper had done a 5 mile perimeter and the bag was found the night of the second full search paper just out of the search.

Obviously this isn't about the person who found the bag but, from Sat AM till he left at 6:30 he didn't turn on the TV or radio once? He didn't notice the helicopters in the area. He didn't listen to the radio in the car when he left at 6:30 to go whereever he was going that didn't bring him back till late that night.

I'm sure he didn't know she was missing I just don't get how someone can be that unaware.

I can. I happened to see it on the 10 PM news on Friday, but Saturday local news is pretty limited so unless you usually get up really early on Saturday and watch or DVR, I think it is pretty easy to go a whole day without knowing about it.

I can definitely imagine missing late Friday evening news, not see any Saturday news, go out for movie/dinner etc. and not really know anything about the missing girl when you check out the backpack.

The Amber Alert automated call came in to houses in the area around 9:30, if I recall. It was kind of hard to understand what the computerized voice was saying and I had to have it repeated.

After that, about 9:40 or so, an Amber Alert broke through on the television.

It's perfectly possible for the guy who found the backpack to just be unaware. He might not have been within the radius to get the phone call. People around here on Saturdays are focused on football and being outside. That Saturday was otherwise a beautiful day - warmed up quite a bit, if I recall, from Friday's light snow. So... just saying it's not crazy to think he just didn't see it on tv or news.

I wonder if waste collectors, especially those working in the general vicinity of a missing person, are advised to be aware of something out of the ordinary. I would imagine a bag with a torso or other remains would somehow feel different than a bag with leaves, or regular garbage. Maybe when the guys realized there was something different about that bag, they opened it and took a look. A horrible look :(

Good. So the search paper had done a 5 mile perimeter and the bag was found the night of the second full search paper just out of the search.

Obviously this isn't about the person who found the bag but, from Sat AM till he left at 6:30 he didn't turn on the TV or radio once? He didn't notice the helicopters in the area. He didn't listen to the radio in the car when he left at 6:30 to go whereever he was going that didn't bring him back till late that night.

The backpack was found OUTSIDE the search perimeter. It was found 6 miles away, not in Jessica's neighborhood.

The backpack was found nearly six and a half miles away from where Jessica lived.

Jessica Ridgeway case: Neighbor noticed backpack on Superior street night before

SUPERIOR -- A Superior resident who helped discover what turned out to be missing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway's backpack said he and his wife first noticed the bag sitting on the sidewalk next to their home just after midnight Saturday -- more than 12 hours before it came to the attention of authorities.

The man, who wished to remain anonymous due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, said he could see the backpack wasn't his family's, and, given the hour of night, decided not to deal with it until morning.

http://www.dailycamera.com/superior...ase-neighbor-noticed-backpack-superior-street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels