CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people don't watch the news more than we know. A young woman about my age was dismembered in a shocking and horrific way and the case unraveled in a very dramatic way there was fear because the person wasn't caught right away and it got overwhelming news coverage and I cannot tell you how many of my friends had no idea even though it happened in our town. I would bring it up and they would be like huh? What? Someone died? What are you talking about?
More people don't watch the news or necessarily discuss the news than one would realize. I definitely believe the neighbors who claim they had no idea a girl was missing near them.
I do think, overall, that it probably was left after dark. I just don't assume literally everyone knew right away that she was missing or that a backpack should invoke immediately calling LE. Him emailing a community listserv first seems reasonable to me.

Not saying what he did was unreasonable at all. Just stating that someone really has to not want to know what's going on in the world to completely miss all news/radio broadcasts for a full 12 hours and then miss it for another 6 when he left his house.

An example a 12 year old just walked out of school a few weeks ago. It was on the midday new's, it was on facebook, they were talking about it on local AM radio, they had news announcments on local FM radio. If you were in range of a TV, computer or radio people in our town new about it.

Good. So the search paper had done a 5 mile perimeter and the bag was found the night of the second full search paper just out of the search.

Obviously this isn't about the person who found the bag but, from Sat AM till he left at 6:30 he didn't turn on the TV or radio once? He didn't notice the helicopters in the area. He didn't listen to the radio in the car when he left at 6:30 to go whereever he was going that didn't bring him back till late that night.

Even if he heard something about an amber alert, his mind wouldn't necessarily jump to that when he sees the backpack, since a backpack lying around was (1) not out of the ordinary, and (2) not the way you expect an abductor to dispose of evidence.

JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The backpack was found OUTSIDE the search perimeter. It was found 6 miles away, not in Jessica's neighborhood.

Yes, someone mentioned that it seemed to be just outside the search perimeter. I.E. The perimeter was 5 miles and the bag was 6 miles away. I don't know I'm going on what someone said.

Even if he heard something about an amber alert, his mind wouldn't necessarily jump to that when he sees the backpack, since a backpack lying around was (1) not out of the ordinary, and (2) not the way you expect an abductor to dispose of evidence.

JMO

He stated that it was out of the ordinary which is why he didn't touch it or report it till the morning.

I wonder if waste collectors, especially those working in the general vicinity of a missing person, are advised to be aware of something out of the ordinary. I would imagine a bag with a torso or other remains would somehow feel different than a bag with leaves, or regular garbage. Maybe when the guys realized there was something different about that bag, they opened it and took a look. A horrible look :(

The article said that they noticed something weird and flagged down the animal control truck that was nearby, and *they* looked inside.

I am relatively new here; read often but post rarely so hope I am doing it correctly. This case brings back so many hurtful memories. When I was a little girl, a neighborhood child, Tonya Worthington disappeared while walking home from our school. James Duke Creel, a Dyess Air Force airman Creek killed Tonya, 10-year-old who was walking home from school when Creel offered her a ride. He was her neighbor and she played with his children so she had no reason to fear him when he offered to take her home. Although he had never been accused in the United States, during his trial it was revealed that there had been several allegations against him when he was stationed in other countries but never followed up on him. I hope all the neighbors and fathers of her friends are looked really hard at. Creel had searched for her with others and offered his condolences to her family. Sometimes evil is diagnosed as a concerned friend or family member, IMO.

Not saying what he did was unreasonable at all. Just stating that someone really has to not want to know what's going on in the world to completely miss all news/radio broadcasts for a full 12 hours and then miss it for another 6 when he left his house.

An example a 12 year old just walked out of school a few weeks ago. It was on the midday new's, it was on facebook, they were talking about it on local AM radio, they had news announcments on local FM radio. If you were in range of a TV, computer or radio people in our town new about it.

Jessica's killer had the stars lined up in his favor the entire time. He grabbed her from an area that someone should have seen something. He abducted a child whose mother sleeps all day and missed the phone call from the school. He dumped the backpack on a property of someone who was unaware of the missing child. I personally think its time for the killer's luck to run out and to be caught.

The story was only a day or two old when the backpack is found. It's not unreasonable that someone wouldn't pay attention to the news during the weekend, or that no one would bring it up in a conversation. I would find it much more unusual if someone, now, in the Denver area didn't know about the case because you would think that you would find out about it eventually.

He stated that it was out of the ordinary which is why he didn't touch it or report it till the morning.

You mean was NOT out of the ordinary?

This could of been an elderly man who doesn't have his ear pressed to a cell phone 24/7 or his eyes on a computer screen.

sorry; it auto corrected me. I meant evil can be disguised as a friend.

Modern life is crazy, hectic and stressful, the news is frequently depressing, local news is full of "10 things in your kitchen that could kill you!!" type panic-journalism, and many people travel in surprisingly small circles on the Internet (their immediate family/friends on social media, maybe some special interest sites). I'm far more likely to glance at CNN.com once in a while than I ever am to watch local news.

What if you didn't watch the local news that day? What if you didn't listen to talk radio? What of no one on your facebook front page posted about it? I don't agree that if you were in front of a TV, radio, or computer, you heard about that particular case.

Modern life is crazy, hectic and stressful, the news is frequently depressing, local news is full of "10 things in your kitchen that could kill you!!" type panic-journalism, and many people travel in surprisingly small circles on the Internet (their immediate family/friends on social media, maybe some special interest sites). I'm far more likely to glance at CNN.com once in a while than I ever am to watch local news.

I agree. Sometimes I have gone months without really paying attention to local news, then I pick up a paper and read about bodies found in the river, severed hands found in alleys, patients escaping from mental hospitals, children being beaten to death, all while I was in blissful ignorance. . .

My husband and I were watching a movie that Friday night. I received a text from a co-worker whose mother's house is in Jessica's neighborhood. Our plan on Saturday was to get up and start on housework. If I hadn't received the text message I'm not sure when I would have realized about Jessica missing. Probably sometime mid or late Saturday. (shrug)

The main thing I'm getting out of this is this. The bag was dumped Saturday night, maybe after the search and rescue effort stopped in an area where they hadn't searched. Based on what someone said the bag was found just outside of the perimeter. This tells me that it could have been a search member.

That is my whole point.

Once again, I tried using multi-quote while I got caught up to avoid duplicating things said or forgetting what I wanted to say, and once again the thread closed and a new one opened before I finished. So, once again I've lost all of my reference points; which means you're stuck with my rambling (or skipping my post like a lot of people do!) Some of the things I remember are:

Someone was speculating about whether the DNA they found was on the body or the bag, but they had it before the body was found. I've suspected that some of her clothing or her glasses had some on them and were put into the backpack.

People keep saying that the meaning of the marks on the cross (if there is a meaning) is unimportant, but I think that understanding what, if anything, the cross means will help determine where it might be sold, and who would be likely to buy it. I'm guessing that most of us don't live close enough to the area to have actually seen the person wearing it, but we might be able to come up with a basic description to refresh someone's mind.

I'd say that if you see information in a blog that contradicts what's seen in MSM, the blog is probably wrong. I've been wondering if the reporter from the Denver Post(?) got some of that information from listening to archives from various police departments, sheriff's offices, etc.

I wanted to add a few items to the list Cheri.T gave about him being organized.
He was able to find one go to busy areas and find one spot where it would be unlikely to have unnoticed witnesses.
He timed it well enough to get in and out each time without being seen, or at least not noticed.
He seems to have left just enough evidence to keep people talking about him, but not enough to make him easily identified.
He doesn't seem to be rushed, which makes me think he has planned things in detail.

One other thing I wanted to mention was Janine Johler. Although he was quite a bit older, there were some things that seemed consistent. Their coloring was similar, I read that she had disabilities (cognitive and mobility issues) which would have made her a slightly easier target than the average woman, and the more obvious – both were apparently dismembered, put in garbage bags and left about 20' off the road.

That's enough babble for now!

What I remember reading was that it was not out of the ordinary. "...said it didn't really strike her at first because there often are children's bikes or toys left about in the neighborhood."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther