Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Wednesday afternoon, the Greeley Tribune received an anonymous message containing pictures taken at the oil and gas site. At the request of law enforcement, the Tribune did not print those pictures in a story that appeared Wednesday at GreeleyTribune.com.

And out of respect for Matthews and her family, the Tribune won’t publish the photos now nor at any time in the future. However, in the interest of keeping the public as informed as possible given the circumstances — and after discussing it with investigators — a compromise of describing the photos was reached.

The Tribune received two photos. The first is a picture of a small hole, about the circumference of a basketball hoop. Above and slightly to the left of the hole a human skull sits on the ground. To the right of the hole is what appears to be tattered red- and blue-colored clothing.

The second photo is a close-up of the lower jaw, which is separated from the rest of the skull. It was still resting inside the hole when the photos were taken. The jaw appears to have all of the teeth still intact. The teeth are outfitted with braces.

Remains of Jonelle Matthews discovered in rural Weld almost 35 years after her disappearance in Greeley

How strange is it that when I woke up this morning I was thinking of missing children, specifically Jonelle? Then I get to work and see the news. I gasped when I saw her name in the headlines.

I knew Jonelle was adopted by her parents but didn't realize the mother had re-married to her stepfather? I had just assumed this father was her adoptive father. I do remember reading her parents had kept in contact with her birth mother so that's another person whose heart is breaking this morning.

Over the years Jonelle's case info mentioned that LE believe her remains were incinerated. I wonder what led them to think that, as I don't believe that's true now, since they found bones.

Unfortunately the mystery is not over; sweet Jonelle still needs justice.

Comprehensive local article. The locations of Jonelle’s house, school, choir concert and where remains were found. The news also received photos of the remains that will not be published, but her clothing from the night she disappeared and braces were prominent in the photos. Remains of Jonelle Matthews discovered in rural Weld almost 35 years after her disappearance in Greeley

Thank you for posting this. From the map it appears that the HS where the father was the night she went missing and the location of the body are not that far away (~4 miles). I do wonder if the father had an "enemy" at his school who wanted to retaliate against him by doing this to his daughter. I still can't shake that the friend's father had something to do with this however, it just seems that he had plenty of opportunity.

I knew Jonelle was adopted by her parents but didn't realize the mother had re-married to her stepfather? I had just assumed this father was her adoptive father. I do remember reading her parents had kept in contact with her birth mother so that's another person whose heart is breaking this morning.

Unfortunately the mystery is not over; sweet Jonelle still needs justice.

Gloria and Jim Matthews adopted Jonelle. So they are her adoptive mother and father - who is this stepfather?

I'm hoping now that her body has been found, somehow more information will be found.

Since its been so long, DNA evidence would be long gone I'm thinking.

Since her older sister and father were at a game, I can't help but wonder if someone else at that game could have noticed Jonelle was not with them, knew the mother was out of town so an opportunity would be recognized.

Seems there would be a larger crowd at the game, it would be so easy for someone to just slip out, knowing there was a certain amount of time before the father and sister would return home since she was in the game.

Some thoughts:

LE must know the shoe size of those footprints, and that could help them re: possible suspect.

In between snipped by me.

The last possibility is that leaving the garage door open invited unsavory people to scope out the property for a robbery attempt. They may have been casing the area just before Jonelle arrived home, noticed an easy opportunity to rob the residence, left and planned to return a short time later to conduct the crime, and then happened to find a 12 year old girl there by herself and decided to commit a different crime.

Either way very sad case, glad she has been found.

Would like to know if garage door was open when JM was dropped off? Perp(s) could of already been inside.

Would like to know if garage door was open when JM was dropped off? Perp(s) could of already been inside.
I thought of this too, but it seems wasn’t attacked as soon as she got home. She had been there ~15 minutes when she took the message. That makes me lean towards there wasn’t someone lying in wait.

I know it might be a bit early to speculate, but is it possible that these deaths could be connected?

Linda Hutchings, 17-year-old hitchhiker, beaten and killed
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) - I believe whoever took Jennifer Douglas did so because they believed that at 5' she appeared younger than she was. It's slightly eerie how this case reminds me of Genette Tate.
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Jessica Caudill
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Karen Aguilera - A legal adult, but like Jennifer, she was 5' and may have appeared younger to her killer.
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Sabrina Judish - This case DEFINITELY reminds me of Jonelle.
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Tracy Neef
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Margaret Hillman
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Steven Wicks - Double homicide, only boys on the list

I don’t understand why people are criticizing the ‘friend’s father’ for dropping her off at her own home.

What was he supposed to do? Kidnap her by taking her against her will to his own home? Stay with her in her home? How creepy would that have been?

She was old enough to babysit—take care of someone else’s children in someone else’s home—she’d certainly be considered old enough to be home alone for a couple of hours.

Obviously, things went horribly wrong, but we don’t make things better by placing blame where blame isn’t deserved.

I’m so impressed w/the work you and others have done from scratch in the last day to put the pieces of info together. I’m proud to “know” you!

Awwwwe, thank you, Colorado303. That is suuuuch a meaningful compliment coming from you, being a friend of Shanann’s, that you appreciate what we try to do here.

We are certainly a good team here. :)

Thank you so much. You made my day.

There's a website by the Advanced Journalism Class at Colorado State University about Jonelle. Not sure if I can link to it as it's not technically MSM.

It seems to date from May this year and has interviews with LE, Deanna Ross and her father (who gave JM a lift) and Jonelle's sister.

Very interesting. Earlier in this thread the Charley Project summary was posted which said GM and JM had moved to the Philippines. So now her mom and step father live in Costa Rica? They already believed Jonelle was deceased and had a memorial for her. I wonder if they will they come back to the States to bury her remains now that she has been found?
They did mention a possible trip back to The area

There's a website by the Advanced Journalism Class at Colorado State University about Jonelle. Not sure if I can link to it as it's not technically MSM.

It seems to date from May this year and has interviews with LE, Deanna Ross and her father (who gave JM a lift) and Jonelle's sister.
Thanks. It answered some of my questions.

I just read an article that said the garage door was opened when Jonelle's friend and her father dropped Jonelle off at home. I wish the father would have went inside the house with her to make sure the house was secure before he and his daughter left to go home. In the same article I also read that Jonelle's father Jim came home about an hour after Jonelle was dropped off and she was already gone.

EDIT: And I'm not meaning to place any blame on Jonelle's friend's Dad. It's easy for all of us to say what people should have done after the fact. Hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited:
Jonelle Matthews investigation: Chronicling the 34-year search for missing Greeley 12-year-old
The vivacious 12-year-old disappeared in 1984. Her remains were found this week.

July 26, 2019

"Five days before Christmas 1984, Jim and Gloria Matthews and their two daughters were all going in different directions.

Gloria flew out of state to spend time with her father. Jennifer, then 16, played basketball in the Greeley Central High School gym. Jim took 12-year-old Jonelle to Franklin Middle School, where she got on a bus and rode to a nursing home to sing Christmas carols. After Jonelle’s outing, a friend watched her enter the front door of her home.

It was the last time anyone ever reported seeing Jonelle until Tuesday, when her bones were discovered buried by a work crew excavating in a rural part of Weld County near County Road 49 and County Road 34½, Greeley police said. The coroner’s office has confirmed the remains were those of Jonelle. Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams said his deputies are treating Jonelle’s death as a homicide.

The following is an account featured in The Denver Post’s Colorado Cold Cases blog in November 2012 chronicling developments in the search for Jonelle Matthews based on dozens of news stories over a span of 28 years:..."

Colorado Cold Cases: Jonelle Matthews vanished after singing Christmas carols at a nursing home

Ok... sticking point for me is that she was last heard from when taking a call from her father’s business associate - details might be buried somewhere in this thread but I wonder if this guy came forward and told LE that he called the house (for her Dad) and she answered, making it the last contact anyone had? Doesn’t seem logical that this guy would have been calling JM herself. Not accusing this person but it just seems strange. Very sad case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get