Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #2

4 miles West of the highway is 3 miles from the Rainbow Trout Ranch, at the base of a cliff off Forrest rd. 250 in an area that was searched with dogs FLIR, helicopters, drones, wearing red shorts. How come it took so long to find him?

Yes, I don't think we will ever know whether he fell or possibly got into an altercation with some maniac out there and was pushed. Either way, I believe there will always be a question. With no proof, how could there not.

The dogs did not search the area he was found in because the terrain was too rugged.

No absolutely not, Joe was a very happy young man who was well adjusted. He did not jump. He was an extraordinary individual with his whole life ahead of him. I don't know how much I can empathize that Joe did not take his life nor was his friend involved in any manner. He took 3 lie detector tests.
We will never know the truth for sure but either Joe had an accident or he was pushed...
Ceci, he and his running mate exchanged talk about exploring the cliffs. Was he found in the area they had discussed? If that boy took and passed 3 lie detector tests and you believe him yourself, and Joe was found in the area they had talked about, then it seems most likely Joe went exploring on his own. He probably got to the cliff, turned to leave, and fell. I immediately considered that he was cornered by an animal, but that theory is dependent on the drop distance? Do we know how far down it was?

Forcing him to the top of those cliffs alive would be difficult verging on impossible and carrying him up there already deceased or incapacitated would be an even greater feat. So, if this homicidal madman theory is to be considered, it has to have been a madman who coincidentally encountered Joe right there at the edge of the cliff in this vast, just-barely-peopled wilderness. Probability negligible. Just plain falling, fatally, in rough, unsearchable terrain where the sandstone is red and the granite is pinkish fits all the facts pertaining to the difficulty of finding a person in red shorts and to his eventual discovery among rocks with a fractured skull. The injustice of his death still makes people want a malefactor to find and punish, but there is no evidence of one and no evidence not explained by misadventure and the difficulty of the terrain.

At the very minimum, he could have sat down right at the edge to enjoy the view. When standing and turning, he could have slipped and fallen. There are really so many possibilities for an accident.

I am glad he was found and his family can get closure. I am also glad he was found on behalf of his friends. They didn't need that unfair and unjustified halo of finger pointing for the rest of their lives. RIP Joe.

I do not have any answers, only going on the fact Neal and Zoe feels that it wasnt an accident. I do not know what they know that leads them to this conclusion. They obviously have information that hasn't been shared. If any is released publically, I will update.

A service is being held for Joe in his hometown August 27 with Companion Funeral Home. Please feel free to send condolences to the Keller's. He was an amazing young man who left a possible message the short time he was on Earth. I'm heartbroken 🙏

Feelings don't require evidence or information. It's only when we want to persuade others that we absolutely need facts and reasons. I hope they find whatever peace they can, on their own timetable.

Well spoken Caramel, as mentioned before, he might of spontaneously decided to explore. I believe its the fact the dogs didn't pick up his scent leading in that direction. The dogs lost his scent on the road he was running on. I can see it might be accidentally or maybe he was picked up in a vehicle (where his scent stopped) and later thrown. These are just some of what's being talked about round town. Not a madman but maybe someone who was racist. Stories of the locals harassing the tourists has been told. As Keller's stated it will remain a mystery. But I think Neal knows ALOT more than he's revealed. I personally know Neal and if he sincerely thought it was an accident he would accept it....

Forcing him to the top of those cliffs alive would be difficult verging on impossible and carrying him up there already deceased or incapacitated would be an even greater feat. So, if this homicidal madman theory is to be considered, it has to have been a madman who coincidentally encountered Joe right there at the edge of the cliff in this vast, just-barely-peopled wilderness. Probability negligible. Just plain falling, fatally, in rough, unsearchable terrain where the sandstone is red and the granite is pinkish fits all the facts pertaining to the difficulty of finding a person in red shorts and to his eventual discovery among rocks with a fractured skull. The injustice of his death still makes people want a malefactor to find and punish, but there is no evidence of one and no evidence not explained by misadventure and the difficulty of the terrain.

Well said.

Their is a beautiful message on Joes facebook page. Its a wonderful tribute and after you read it, you will know what a loss this young man is. He was extraordinary.
Would a kind person please copy and paste it? We know the outcome but I think this tribute would be a nice way to honor his brief life and end this thread celebrating his brief time on Earth. Bless you all, Ceci

Their is a beautiful message on Joes facebook page. Its a wonderful tribute and after you read it, you will know what a loss this young man is. He was extraordinary.
Would a kind person please copy and paste it? We know the outcome but I think this tribute would be a nice way to honor his brief life and end this thread celebrating his brief time on Earth. Bless you all, Ceci

https://www.facebook.com/FindJoeKeller/

Here is the link to the Facebook page. Unless it is by the administrator of the Facebook page, I don't believe it is allowed to have any of it copied and pasted by others. I see someones name attached to a tribute and I don't think it is allowed, but certainly the link is allowed to Joe's missing Facebook.

IMOO.

Once again thank you Treelights for the link.
There are so many really nice people here and they didn't forget Joe. I appreciate that I had a place to come to. I told Neal about this site and he had no clue that it existed. I'm sure he will read it all at some point, and I see that as a positive!
I've actually been reading other cases here so I will probably throw in my two cents on occasion!

Once again thank you Treelights for the link.
There are so many really nice people here and they didn't forget Joe. I appreciate that I had a place to come to. I told Neal about this site and he had no clue that it existed. I'm sure he will read it all at some point, and I see that as a positive!
I've actually been reading other cases here so I will probably throw in my two cents on occasion!

Ceci,

Thank you so much for all of your input! Would you please give Neal, Zoe, Joe's sister and brother my sincerest condolences? They all seem to be truly kind, lovely people, and I am so very sorry for their loss. What a beautiful human being Joe was inside and out. I just couldn't imagine. I have all along, and will continue to pray for them. Thank you.

oh wow, i have a few cases that i followed bookmarked and every few months check them out to see if any updates, Joe has always been one of them, I thought this is how it would end but am glad the family now have his remains and closure. rip Joe <3

Feature piece from Outside magazine:

How 1,600 People Went Missing from Our Public Lands Without a Trace

July 23, 2015 was the eve of Joseph Lloyd Keller's 19th birthday. The Cleveland, Tennessee, native had been spending the summer between his freshman and sophomore years at Cleveland State Community College on a western road trip with buddies Collin Gwaltney and Christian Fetzner in Gwaltney’s old Subaru. The boys had seen Las Vegas, San Francisco, and the Grand Canyon before heading to Joe’s aunt and uncle’s dude ranch, the Rainbow Trout Ranch, in the San Juan Mountains in southwestern Colorado.

Joe Keller had just joined the foggy stratum of the hundreds or maybe thousands of people who’ve gone missing on our federal public lands. Thing is, nobody knows how many. The National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the Department of Justice, calls unidentified remains and missing persons “the nation’s silent mass disaster,” estimating that on any given day there are between 80,000 and 90,000 people ac*tively listed with law enforcement as missing. The majority of those, of course, disappear in populated areas.

What I wanted to know was how many people are missing in our wild places, the roughly 640 million acres of federal lands—including national parks, national forests, and Bureau of Land Management prop*erty. Cases like 51-year-old Dale Stehling, who, in 2013, vanished from a short petroglyph-viewing trail near the gift shop at Colorado’s Mesa Verde National Park. Morgan Heimer, a 22-year-old rafting guide, who was wearing a professional-grade personal flotation device when he disappeared in 2015 in Grand Canyon National Park during a hike after setting up camp. Ohioan Kris Fowler, who vanished from the Pa*cific Crest Trail last fall. At least two people have recently gone missing outside the national forest where I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are scores more stories like this.

Much more about Joe, quotes from his family and some searchers, and of course Paulides is mentioned too.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2164446/leave-no-trace

Joe is one of those stories which grabbed me for whatever reason. I felt a connection to him which doesn't happen with every case, I don't know why. The mystery of what exactly happened haunts me and I am sorry it'll always probably be unknown. My thoughts to his family and friends..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back