CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going off the assumption that they got the quotes correct her Mother said that make me wonder if there's some things that aren't be told. (Not that it means that she is any less danger or out of harms way, but trying to find a runaway can be quite different than trying to find a lost or abducted child).

Mom quoted as saying
"We love you. We miss you. I don't care if you ran away and there was a problem,"

and then

"I'm not going to know what it was until she comes back and we can talk about it and we can fix it, but we love her, we miss her, the whole point is to come home,"

http://cbs4denver.com/local/kayleah.wilson.missing.2.1608058.html

Missing Since: March 28, 2010

Classification: Unknown

Weight: 145 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, blue eyes

Details of Disappearance

GREELEY, Colo. - Authorities are canvassing neighborhoods and talking to motorists in Greeley, Colo., as the search for a missing 12-year-old girl continues.

Kayleah (Kay LEE uh) Wilson was last seen the afternoon of March 28 when she left home to walk to a friend's birthday party about a mile away, across a busy highway.

On Sunday, one week after she disappeared, police planned to stop cars in the area and ask drivers if they noticed anything a week before.

http://www.verizon.net/newsroom/por...sroom_portal_page_us_article&_article=2749925

Note: I couldn't figure out how to move her picture here from the news article. If someone could help me out, I will fix it. Also, should this be posted in Crimes in the News? Is it okay to double post it?

Going off the assumption that they got the quotes correct her Mother said that make me wonder if there's some things that aren't be told. (Not that it means that she is any less danger or out of harms way, but trying to find a runaway can be quite different than trying to find a lost or abducted child).

Mom quoted as saying
"We love you. We miss you. I don't care if you ran away and there was a problem,"

and then

"I'm not going to know what it was until she comes back and we can talk about it and we can fix it, but we love her, we miss her, the whole point is to come home,"

Immediately before the above quote: "They still don't know if she ran away or was abducted."

If my daughter disappeared, I'd hope she was a runaway. The other possibilities are far worse.

Prayers for Kayleah today. I hope this week brings some good news or at least closure. I think about her everyday.

Twelve years old...a child...just a child. In my mind, she should have qualified for an Amber alert immediately, unless it was factually known she was with an adult. Otherwise - the only thing that should matter is, she is a child - period.

Wikipedia -- Amber Alert

Activation criteria

The alerts are broadcast using the Emergency Alert System, which had previously been used primarily for weather bulletins.[9] Alerts usually contain a description of the child and of their abductor.[10]

To avoid both false alarms and having alerts ignored as a "wolf cry", the criteria for issuing an alert are rather strict. Each state's or province's AMBER alert plan sets its own criteria for activation, meaning that there are differences between alerting agencies as to which incidents are considered to justify the use of the system. However, the U.S. Department of Justice issues the following "guidance", which most states are said to "adhere closely to":[11]

1. Law enforcement must confirm that an abduction has taken place
2. The child must be at risk of serious injury or death
3. There must be sufficient descriptive information of child, captor, or captor's vehicle to issue an alert
4. The child must be 17 years old or younger

Many law enforcement agencies have not used #2 as a criterion, resulting in many parental abductions triggering an Amber Alert where the child is not known or assumed to be at risk of serious injury or death.

My guess would be they are uncertain that she was abducted, and there is no description of an abductor or a vehicle, that's why there was no alert issued. And now, with her mother coming out saying that if she ran away it's ok, just come home.. We may not be getting a full story on her home life or any problems she's been having. Parents aren't always forthcoming with those details, and it's usually in an effort to push police to find their child. However, and and all information like that still needs to be given to police to help understand the situation.

I was sad to see no new news! Was so hoping for a safe return on Easter.

It does seem as though there was something going on in the house... although, let me say, with a 12 year old girl, things usually tend to get blown out of proportion. My 10 year old is a total drama queen. So, I wish more info would be provided whether there had been a recent blow-out with Kayleah. If she was feeling 'held back' by family restrictions... the public should know this as to it may pertain to how her state of mind has been lately!

Also, does anyone know for sure there even was a birthday party going on that afternoon?

This case can only be solved if LE gives out more info. I KNOW if any of my kids went missing - I'd 'air' every bit of my families dirty laundry if it meant getting my child back!

If she has runaway, let her know there are a lot of people who aren't family that care about her and are praying for her safe return!

Immediately before the above quote: "They still don't know if she ran away or was abducted."

If my daughter disappeared, I'd hope she was a runaway. The other possibilities are far worse.

I agree, but AW seems to keep suggesting there may have been a problem before Kayleah left. I think there is more to the story we aren't hearing. I don' think Kayleah and her mom exchanged kisses and "I love you's" before she left. It would be helpful to know because she may not have been intending to run away, but maybe decided to ditch the party for someone else to talk about her problems, or maybe she came across someone on her way - perhaps someone her mom didn't approve of - that she decided to go with to spite her mom.

I don't care if you ran away and there was a problem,"

"I'm not going to know what it was until she comes back and we can talk about it and we can fix it, but we love her..."

I also wonder about the "but we love her" part - as if there would be a question. That "but" speaks volumes, imo.

yes it seems as though amber alerts must involve cars...
i do think once LE got fully involved they have done everything they can and still are doing everything they can. i think her mom just said that about running away in case it is true, not meaning that she thinks that it is true...but you would have to tell the child that whatever has happened it is Ok to come home...

redcar1 -- LE says they cannot confirm there was a party but her friends network sites seem to confirm there was. Doesn't mean she was going, though.

i can't help but think she got into a car with someone she knew at least slightly...and therefore could be anywhere. In which case, local searches may not be enough:( but what else do you do?
Doesn't Texas Equisearch (excuse spelling) have really narrow guidelines as to when they will accept a search? I seem to remember reading something about it where they have to have reason to believe that the person was in a particular area, i.e. finding a vehicle abandoned or something like that? Does anyone know how they decide when to help?

One week, this is way too long.
If anyone can get thru on NG tonight if they carry the story, try to get some information out them.

Press conference today in missing girl case

Greeley police and the FBI have called a press conference for this afternoon regarding the disappearance of Kayleah Wilson, the 12-year-old Greeley girl who vanished eight days ago.

However, officials in the case have not said there is new information, and the conference is just an update.
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100405/NEWS/100409797/1051&ParentProfile=1001

It is so true about girls being alone...I have 5 nieces between 16-26 and worry quietly constantly...I am positive their moms are on them all the time and i know they are careful, mature girls (mostly-the youngest tends to be "friends" with too many people on FB! :( ) but I always worry...there are so many things to worry about, jealous boyfriends, drunken frat boys, random creeps.

So true about FB -- again (as I posted about safety in numbers), every parent should have absolute access to any computer a child uses, FB and MySpace passwords, etc. I don't care of my 14 yr. old doesn't like it....if she wants these pages, she knows I check them weekly and I am a "friend" on her page. It only takes a second -- and I'm very careful to let her know that it's NOT that I don't trust her: I don't trust all the wackjobs out there who could be lying in wait for prey. Bottom line: I am vigilant, and my JOB is to make it as difficult as possible for any loser to get at my daughter!

This all being said, I in no way am blaming the mom/family in this case. No one should have to go through what she is feeling right now, and I'm sure she thought it was safe, or she wouldn't have let her go. Basically, though, we need tougher laws, zero tolerance as a society, and we need to arm our children with knowledge so that they don't become victims.

Agree..no blame from me either to anyone...I just feel that 12 is 12...and any absence of someone so young must be investigated immediately.

Mom quoted as saying

and then

Honestly, I think this is just wishful thinking on the mother's part. Having not heard anything about ransom, etc. (which would be unlikely anyway), the mom must know in her heart that the only good option at this point would be that she ran away.

Police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych says authorities are also searching two residential areas near the girl's home, including one that wouldn't have been on her way to the birthday party
http://www.wxvt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12254693
The fact that they identified the area where the birthday party was held, and have mentioned it as above, isn't that enough to assume there was a party? Also, I don't think she was dressed for much more than a party.

Personally, when I think of getting in a car on hwy 34 a longer trip comes to mind. Out of Greeley. The road is a major artery to I25, I76, and US85. Cars are zipping by and it's called a bypass for a reason.

If someone calls in to NG, I'd like to find out if they know if she was carrying her iPod. That might at least give her a way to contact someone and change the scenario a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500