Deceased/Not Found CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller Co, 22 Nov 2018 #71 *GUILTY*

KK should be shaking in her cowgirl boots. Someone reminded me during the trial I was keeping track of potential appeals. I got ‘em all except I thought they would say Frazee’s lawyer did not perform. I can’t even fathom another trial but you just never know. The appeal was 70 pages and the People’s response 80…and the judges I am sure will review both in addition to the 15 minute arguments.
And why exactly should KK be shaking in her cowgirl boots?

Which expert witness, I wonder. ?

Each side only had 15 minutes to present its case before the appellate panel. I believe the expert the defense was taking issue with had to do with the DNA of the tooth fragment. I don't think there are any worries here about PF getting a new trial.
I was incorrect about the expert witness. This was not a DNA expert but a LE Officer that testified as an expert on blood splatter. PF's defense is taking issue that the expert described the splatter as consistent with KK's account of the splatter she saw when she first arrived at KB's condo.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, always remember Kelsey this time of year. I wish they could have found her remains. Sending love and prayers to her family as I’m sure this whole time of year is always tough.
So many will forever remember the Berreth family on Thanksgiving. :(

I recall after Frazee's conviction, there was a custody hearing for their daughter in Dec 2019 where four parties were seeking custody of the daughter: the Berreths, Frazee, Sheila Frazee (Patrick's mother) and Erin Frazee (Patrick's sister), and Sheila Frazee was fighting for permanent custody that she could adopt the child.

Frazee's termination of parental rights hearing was scheduled for Jan 2020 but as expected, the Judge kicked reporters out of the hearing and a court spokesman told News 5 Judge Scott Sells would not release an update on the hearing like he's done in previous hearings.

Today, all we can do is trust that the child has been adopted by the Berreths and that they continue to bring joy to each other.

So unforgivable what PF did to Kelsey -- yet he has the nerve to be engaged in the appeal process! :mad:

ETA: Sam was the best reporter we could have asked for on this case!

Sam Kraemer
@SamKraemerTV

Checking
@CoCourts, Patrick Frazee now has a "Term of Parental Rights" hearing scheduled for Jan. 31 at 8:30 a.m. A court spokesman tells me they won't be releasing any updates on today's hearing. #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee

12:19 PM · Dec 5, 2019·

Thinking of Kelsey and her family today.

It was in her threads where I first “met” many of you, as we followed her case and PF’s trial together.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Thanksgiving!
Same! Having lived nearby for many years and seeing photos and videos of such familiar spots and knowing her daughter and family without her just clutched my heart

FEB 4, 2023
Families with missing loved ones gathered at the state capitol on Friday as lawmakers approved a resolution, officially recognizing Saturday, Feb. 4 as Missing Persons Day in Colorado.

[...]

Hartman runs Justice Takes Flight, a Lafayette, Colorado-based nonprofit made up of volunteers who try to help families find their missing loved ones.

[...]

For Hartman, the Berreth case was a big turning point in her life.

“From there, all of us decided that what we were doing was important and needed, so we decided to form a group. And that's when we applied for the nonprofit status,” said Hartman.

Hartman says the group’s name, Justice Takes Flight, was inspired by Berreth’s love of piloting.

Hartman and volunteers with Justice Takes Flight help families by making flyers and spreading the word about missing people on social media.

In some cases, they conduct searches themselves, with the help of their tracking dogs.

“As of this year, so far, we've helped seven cases,” said Hartman. “Last year, we had 37 cases that we helped, and we had two dogs that had their first find last year.”

[...]

“All the people that we've helped, it's because of her,” said Hartman. “In a way, she's being carried through our memories and our actions and she's touching a lot of lives.”

[...]

1675549415648.png 1675549392175.png 1675549421627.png

Today, I re-read the Emergency Order for KK after learning about a convicted felon-- who happened to be the ex-husband of a personal friend, and where two years after completing probation, had his RN license reinstated, after 'proving able' for reinstatement by a *preponderance of the evidence (i.e., showed they completed any probation, counseling, or other requirements mandated as a result of the felony, and/or offer character witnesses).

Per my records, KK entered DOC on January 28, 2020.

After the re-sentencing hearing for KK in March 2021, a judge gave her 'to 18 months' in prison, and 1 year of parole. The morning following the hearing, KK was out on parole for that one year of supervised release. Krystal Kenney released.

Accordingly, KKs parole should have ended in March 2022.

On July 2, 2020, the Executive Director of the Idaho Board of Nursing entered an Emergency Order, immediately suspending KK's nursing license. Under procedural rights, KK had until July 22, 2020, (20 days), to request a hearing on the emergency suspension and corresponding Emergency Order, but she did not respond. [On this date, KK was already in the 7th month of her prison sentence so it follows that she did not respond].

At the July 30, 2022, Board of Nursing meeting, the Board's Prosecutor (Deputy Attorney General Berry), explained the underlying grounds for the emergency suspension and corresponding Emergency Order, and the Board voted to uphold the suspension of the Respondent's license.

More important here, under the Findings of Fact (memorialized the Board's Decision), Deputy Attorney General Berry offered KK a voluntary surrender and stipulation. She did not respond.

I dunno -- I think I would feel better if the Idaho Board of Nursing didn't wait until the month of KKs actual expiration date (July 30, 2022), which corresponds with the license issue date of July 30, 2008, to take disciplinary action and formally suspend her license.

It also doesn't boost my confidence that the online Verification License site, simply cites her license status as 'inactive' and 'expired,' and no clear designation showing the license is permanently restricted.

March 2025 will mark 3 years since KK's probation ended so this post will serve as a reminder to confirm KK not receiving consideration for license reinstatement!

What I recall about Idaho is the State Code that authorized forming a Nursing Board, and empowered the board to govern the education, qualifications, applications, licensing, discipline, etc., of its Nurses, also relies heavily on discretionary language such as what the Board may do and not what the Board must do, when making disciplinary & licensing decisions, on a case by case basis.

Blame it on the perennial shortage of nurses but generally speaking, overall, it appears to me State Boards of Nursing tend to lean toward the side of promoting voluntary disciplinary alternative programs, early intervention, treatment, rehabilitation, and sympathetic, 2nd chances-- which is where I think the Idaho Attorney General's offer of "voluntary surrender and stipulation" offered to KK comes in.

In the case of my friend's former spouse, the Nursing Board Members are appointed by the Governor and serve, I forget, 4 or 6-year terms. IMO, Board appointments by the Governor, start out as political bodies at formation, then add discretionary language for licensing and disciplinary decisions, and IMO, it's as good as allowing a convicted felon to buy a reinstated license (i.e., ex-husband's family big $$$ campaign donors, and he voluntarily suspended his license when he went to rehab before the trial)!

Also, the address the Idaho Board of Nursing used to notify KK of the Emergency Order was the Telluride County Detention Facility, Division, CO -- which appears to be the County Jail and not the Women's Prison. The inmates at TCDF are all awaiting sentencing, trial, or transfer-- there are no long-term inmates.

*Researching Nursing forums, it appears that States with the flexibility to reinstate licenses of convicted felons average 3 years post-completing probation before allowing a petition for reinstatement. The burden of proof standard is by a preponderance of the evidence, and not the beyond a reasonable doubt standard, generally considered harder to prove. It further seems an Attorney/Nurse is the only way to go for representation. MOO

QuickConfirm License Verification Search Results​

Why is a license missing from the search results?

Showing 1 individuals

KRYSTAL JEAN LEE [NCSBN ID: 21215721]​

LAST NAMEFIRST NAMELICENSE TYPESTATELICENSE NUMBER
LEEKRYSTAL JEANRNIDAHO38357

NAME ON LICENSE TYPELICENSE STATELICENSEACTIVE LICENSE STATUSLICENSE ORIGINAL ISSUE DATELICENSE EXPIRATION DATE COMPACT STATUS
LEE, KRYSTAL JEANRNIDAHO38357NOEXPIRED (see history)07/30/200807/30/2020NONE

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back